Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Death?
This poll is closed.
Love it! 49 28.00%
Leave it! 59 33.71%
That is not dead which can eternal lie... 67 38.29%
Total: 175 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
It ain't even illegal to get a handgun in Austrlaia. You just can't get it for the purpose of making your dick feel bigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

DeusExMachinima posted:

So you don't want to prohibit any types of firearms or accessories?

No.

The strict regulation of handguns along with closing the bullshit gun show loophole and actually tracking weapon sales are pretty much my ideal version of sensible gun control. For that I'm willing to loosen restrictions on fully automatic firearms, essentially creating 2 classes of firearms.

Class 1 is anything that has a barrel of 14" or less, and/or anything that fires more than one round per trigger pull and would be heavily restricted (full background check, mandatory safety class, and a hefty sin tax) but totally legal to both manufacture or buy. Class 2 is everything else and only has like a 5 day waiting period, minor background check, and writ of sale to track in case of it being used in a crime and taxed at normal rates.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

DeusExMachinima posted:

Friendly reminder: it's on you to justify why something should be outlawed, not vis-a-vie. And you need a better reason than "you might do something bad" as that is not the same thing as "definitely did something bad" ergo QED. Checkmate.

If that is the case, why the ban on research? It seems to me that people are using rights as a shield despite people being perfectly willing to pissed all over rights when it's convenient. Reminder that segregation came after the 13, 14, and 15 amendments.

The fact that people aren't even allowed to look at the issue critically for fear of retaliation shows that one side isn't looking at the issue in good faith.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Killer robot posted:

So far as I've seen no one's demonstrated or even concretely asserted a link between (non-zero) number of guns owned and danger to the owner or others. Just many have implied it every chance they've gotten.

A quick Google search tends to prove it.

http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/160/10/929.full

quote:

Data from a US mortality follow-back survey were analyzed to determine whether having a firearm in the home increases the risk of a violent death in the home and whether risk varies by storage practice, type of gun, or number of guns in the home. Those persons with guns in the home were at greater risk than those without guns in the home of dying from a homicide in the home (adjusted odds ratio = 1.9, 95% confidence interval: 1.1, 3.4). They were also at greater risk of dying from a firearm homicide, but risk varied by age and whether the person was living with others at the time of death. The risk of dying from a suicide in the home was greater for males in homes with guns than for males without guns in the home (adjusted odds ratio = 10.4, 95% confidence interval: 5.8, 18.9). Persons with guns in the home were also more likely to have died from suicide committed with a firearm than from one committed by using a different method (adjusted odds ratio = 31.1, 95% confidence interval: 19.5, 49.6). Results show that regardless of storage practice, type of gun, or number of firearms in the home, having a gun in the home was associated with an increased risk of firearm homicide and firearm suicide in the home.
This study links to several dozen other studies that go in the same direction. I challenge you to dispute this study.

LeJackal posted:

I see, black people can't be trusted with firearms. I'm glad that in regressing to racist policy we've also regressed to the paternalistic racism.

Instead of seeing the broken and racist systems of corporate welfare, for-profit prisons, racial-driven Drug War and economic genocide being perpetuated against minorities as the real issue.
I don't say "black people shouldn't be trusted with firearms", I say that "people shouldn't be a priori trusted with firearms". Because people being trusted with firearms a priori causes surnumerary deaths among black people. Do not project your racist beliefs on me, please.
You, on the other hand, are being a concern troll of the highest order. It is a given that all the elements you mention should change. So should gun legislation.

quote:

Keep repeating the lie, eventually people will think its true.
And do you have anything else to say than "YOU LIE", congressman Wilson?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

A Winner is Jew posted:

No.

The strict regulation of handguns along with closing the bullshit gun show loophole and actually tracking weapon sales are pretty much my ideal version of sensible gun control. For that I'm willing to loosen restrictions on fully automatic firearms, essentially creating 2 classes of firearms.

Class 1 is anything that has a barrel of 14" or less, and/or anything that fires more than one round per trigger pull and would be heavily restricted (full background check, mandatory safety class, and a hefty sin tax) but totally legal to both manufacture or buy. Class 2 is everything else and only has like a 5 day waiting period, minor background check, and writ of sale to track in case of it being used in a crime and taxed at normal rates.

Man, that all sounds like a pain in the rear end.

gently caress you, I have rights.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Prohibiting some wouldn't be "outlawing guns". But at any rate I fully support the strict regulation of handguns, among others, yeah.

Some guns are still things that are guns so nope. Just because you want to set the bar higher doesn't mean anyone's going along with it.

A Winner is Jew posted:

No.

See now, this...

I will fully admit that pretty much any regulation doesn't sit right with me but in pragmatic political terms if deep blue states repealed their AWBs tomorrow, reopened the federal machine gun registry, etc etc it wouldn't matter what the NRA said about Dem's untrustworthiness because the proof would be in the pudding. If that was done out of a desire to avoid prohibitions instead of trying to use dumb laws that never should've existed as horse trading, it'd have the potential to change people's minds about Dems and guns.

The NRA was nominally down with the Brady Bill and Wayne La'Pierre even said he'd approve of all purchases going through a background check back then. But after the Hughes Amendment combined with the federal AWB you'll notice that they ended up very hardline against more background checks. The trust was gone.

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 21, 2015

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

A Winner is Jew posted:

closing the bullshit gun show loophole

So you want to outlaw private sales? Thats a no-go.

A Winner is Jew posted:

tracking weapon sales

They are already tracked - every FFL has to keep a bound book record of all their sales.

A Winner is Jew posted:

Class 1 is anything that has a barrel of 14" or less, and/or anything that fires more than one round per trigger pull and would be heavily restricted (full background check, mandatory safety class, and a hefty sin tax) but totally legal to both manufacture or buy.

So basically you want to bar the poor and construct barriers across class/race lines? How is that legitimate?

A Winner is Jew posted:

Class 2 is everything else and only has like a 5 day waiting period,

What is the point of a waiting period(especially if its not the first gun that person owns?)? Why five days?

A Winner is Jew posted:

writ of sale to track in case of it being used in a crime and taxed at normal rates.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Receipt

Your suggestion seems to be a hodgepodge of 'screw minorities' layered with ignorance of existing law.
Learn some about the topic and come back to us.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Also the state SHALL ISSUE is pretty air tight libs.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Hitler was pro gun control.

Didn't think of that did you? huh?

Idiots.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

MariusLecter posted:

Hitler was pro gun control.

Didn't think of that did you? huh?

Idiots.

And the Mufti was pretty pro-gun and he started the holocaust. So who is the real monster?

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

LeJackal posted:

4 guns isn't a hoard. A deer rifle, varmint rifle and a duck shotgun is three right there. If you do turkey hunting then thats probably another shotgun, making 4.

i think youre on the wrong account?? lejackel is the "gun access should be unlimited so we can overthrow an oppressive government" nut, not the "gun access should be unlimited because how else are the poor recreational small game hunters going to get their jollies?" nut

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

LeJackal posted:

They are already tracked - every FFL has to keep a bound book record of all their sales.

So basically you want to bar the poor and construct barriers across class/race lines? How is that legitimate?

What is the point of a waiting period(especially if its not the first gun that person owns?)? Why five days?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Receipt

Your suggestion seems to be a hodgepodge of 'screw minorities' layered with ignorance of existing law.

:ironicat:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_show_loophole

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

blackguy32 posted:

If that is the case, why the ban on research?

Well the CDC did waste millions on a hilariously badly designed 'study' with a political goal in mind, which is kind of a no-go for legitimate research institutions that are supposed to be neutral, so it makes sense that they'd get that part of their budget trimmed.

And do you have anything else to say than "YOU LIE", congressman Wilson?

Well, even at face value the study find a correlation, not a causation. I could use similar methodology to demonstrate a link between wearing shoes and committing homicide.

This study links to several dozen other studies that go in the same direction. I challenge you to dispute this study.

Several of those studies quoted were written by Kellermann, and it even includes his 93 paper as a foundation support, which calls the entire paper into question. Either they knew how terrible/dishonest he and his work is and used it regardless, which makes them dishonest or they were too incompetent to see the flaws. Either way, its bad news.

Sorry.

Yes, I know what the term means. You pointing out the article that would inform you about the term that you used and demonstrate how my question is legitimate doesn't demonstrate that you aren't an idiot, just that you were too lazy to look it up before you formed an opinion and posted it on the internet.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Unlocked guns vs. locked ones having a relatively small effect on suicide rates isn't such a big shock on consideration, but I never would have guessed that having multiple guns would make suicide so much less likely than a single gun. I wonder why it's the case.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

DolphinCop posted:

i think youre on the wrong account?? lejackel is the "gun access should be unlimited so we can overthrow an oppressive government" nut, not the "gun access should be unlimited because how else are the poor recreational small game hunters going to get their jollies?" nut

LeJackel is whatever the argument needs him to be. He will come up with whatever reason to justify his fetish, only one of which could be relatable.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

DeusExMachinima posted:

Some guns are still things that are guns so nope. Just because you want to set the bar higher doesn't mean anyone's going along with it.

Depends on what you take the word "guns" in "outlawing guns" to mean. Is is "any gun" or "every gun"?
I have no problem with outlawing "some" guns, but I know that outlwaying "every" gun would be a breach of the 2nd Amendment.

The previous thread had me detailing the French regulations surrounding guns, which I find pretty decent. Licensing and tracking of most guns, licenses to sell guns, licensing and regular training with proof of attendance at a range to get a permit to own a gun (except for hunting guns, but then you need a hunting permit), the opinion of your gun range manager and of a doctor. Permits have to be renewed and are revoked the moment you commit a crime or a serious misdemeanor. Ownership limited to a certain amount of guns and bullets. Obvious interdiction of CCW or open carry. Some guns are forbidden.
Despite all of these regulations France remains a shall-issue country. And most of these regulations are absolutely compatible with the 2nd Amendment.

Killer robot posted:

Unlocked guns vs. locked ones having a relatively small effect on suicide rates isn't such a big shock on consideration, but I never would have guessed that having multiple guns would make suicide so much less likely than a single gun. I wonder why it's the case.

Dunno. I guess when you put a hungry and thirsty donkey in front of a ball of hay and a trough full of water, it will be unable to decide and starve?

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Gravel Gravy posted:

LeJackel is whatever the argument needs him to be. He will come up with whatever reason to justify his fetish, only one of which could be relatable.

I wish that you silly folks would coordinate better. I can't even keep up with the caricatures and strawmen upon which you bestow my name.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Killer robot posted:

Maybe they realize at some point that they've invested far too much time and money into a pointless hobby and that no normal person would have any need for multiple implements designed solely to kill. They might then realize that they've contributed in a meaningful sense to the gun culture that allows the NRA to have an inordinate amount of political power and that every child that is killed in a school shooting is partially the fault of said culture.

Given such a revelation it's no surprise that they want to end it all. Thank god they've got an efficient means of doing it.

e: Oh, less chance. Ignore that, then. Guess the presence of guns does help meaningfully to mental health and that gun owners are right to vote in favour of that particular avenue rather than the traditional means.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 21, 2015

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Government To Confiscate One Person’s Guns Just To Make Rest Of Them Squirm

Tyranny!

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Ddraig posted:

Maybe they realize at some point that they've invested far too much time and money into a pointless hobby and that no normal person would have any need for multiple implements designed solely to kill. They might then realize that they've contributed in a meaningful sense to the gun culture that allows the NRA to have an inordinate amount of political power and that every child that is killed in a school shooting is partially the fault of said culture.

Given such a revelation it's no surprise that they want to end it all. Thank god they've got an efficient means of doing it.

Nice try, but I think you misread. :ssh:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
It's not a hobby! It's LIFE and LIBERTY itself!

Now watch me put holes in this cutout of a guy in a hoodie holding skittles

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

Nintendo Kid posted:

Gun hoarders are so insane that they think they have anything more to gain, and therefore should gain more.

Meanwhile the amount of people willing to even own a single gun continues to slowly lessen.

Thanks for posting further evidence that there's no need for it to be legal to purchase new guns. Just make them yourself if you really need it!

Because a homemade gun wouldn't be nearly as safe to use. You keeping stating how likely gun owners are to accidentally hurt themselves or someone else but here you are advocating that they increase the chances of that happening.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

LeJackal posted:

Well, even at face value the study find a correlation, not a causation. I could use similar methodology to demonstrate a link between wearing shoes and committing homicide.
Lol you don't get statistics. Listen - "correlation is not causation" is not merely a catchphrase you can throw at any study whose results you don't like.

LeJackal posted:

Several of those studies quoted were written by Kellermann, and it even includes his 93 paper as a foundation support, which calls the entire paper into question. Either they knew how terrible/dishonest he and his work is and used it regardless, which makes them dishonest or they were too incompetent to see the flaws. Either way, its bad news.
But feel free to take a moment to read it.
Also this is the context in which Kellerman's studies are mentioned:

quote:

Ecologic analyses have suggested a link between the prevalence of gun ownership and rates of homicide and suicide (6–8) and between regulations restricting access to firearms and rates of homicide and suicide (9–12). Although these studies are useful in demonstrating an association between access to firearms and rates of homicide and suicide at the aggregate level, it is not possible with this methodology to adequately assess whether access to a gun increases the risk of a violent death at the individual level.

To address these limitations, previous researchers have used case-control study methodology to evaluate the relation between gun ownership and risk of a violent death in the home. For example, Kellermann et al. (13, 14) examined the relation between gun ownership and injury outcomes.
So they're not using them to support their claims, contrary to what you say, but simply to assess the state of research in this domain.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

LeJackal posted:

I wish that you silly folks would coordinate better. I can't even keep up with the caricatures and strawmen upon which you bestow my name.

I think it's interesting that you think people that disagree with you are all working together against you.

Then again...

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is it the thread were we send death threats to people who disagree with us while pretending to really care about deaths, or is it the thread where we pretend that guns are just like nuclear activated sarin suicide vests?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

size1one posted:

Because a homemade gun wouldn't be nearly as safe to use. You keeping stating how likely gun owners are to accidentally hurt themselves or someone else but here you are advocating that they increase the chances of that happening.
The only legitimate ends to a personal firearm is killing yourself or a bunch of children nowadays. Making one from home is simply more efficient for the former.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

WitchFetish posted:

Is it the thread were we send death threats to people who disagree with us while pretending to really care about deaths, or is it the thread where we pretend that guns are just like nuclear activated sarin suicide vests?

nuclear activated? lol learn about nuclear arms before trying to enforce laws on nuclear arms owners you ignorant lieberal

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

WitchFetish posted:

Whichever one gets your motor running.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Killer robot posted:

Nice try, but I think you misread. :ssh:

Indeed.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Killer robot posted:

I would guess there's two effects: the population of people who buy a gun specifically to suicide (and therefore only have one) is probably large compared to the population of people with multiple guns that separately decide to suicide and people who own multiple guns are probably more likely to store them securely and less likely to go through a suicide attempt than otherwise.

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

Mr. Wookums posted:

The only legitimate ends to a personal firearm is killing yourself or a bunch of children nowadays. Making one from home is simply more efficient for the former.

Thanks for making it clear that you have death fantasies for all gun owners. Tell me more about how insane they are? :allears:

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

size1one posted:

Thanks for making it clear that you have death fantasies for all gun owners. Tell me more about how insane they are? :allears:

Pretty insane if such obvious sarcasm goes over their heads.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Logically I didn't even wish for death for all gun owners either.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Mr. Wookums posted:

Logically I didn't even wish for death for all gun owners either.

But I thought you did so when I shoot you I will in fact have been fearing for my life

checkmate

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

LeJackal posted:

Yes, I know what the term means. You pointing out the article that would inform you about the term that you used and demonstrate how my question is legitimate doesn't demonstrate that you aren't an idiot, just that you were too lazy to look it up before you formed an opinion and posted it on the internet.

You're really loving bad at this.

LeJackal posted:

"closing the bullshit gun show loophole" does not "outlaw private sales". It makes private sales follow the same rules and regulations that FFL holders are held to. You know, closing the gunshow loophole.

LeJackal posted:

Not through private gun purchases right now. But you would know that because you're actually arguing in good faith...

LeJackal posted:

Handguns and automatic guns? Yes. Regular guns absolutely not. Just because you can't buy a BMW doesn't mean you can't own a car.

LeJackal posted:

Crime of passion prevention + processing for the background check.

Yes. Only law enforcement needs a copy of this as well, or at least a way to track it.

LeJackal posted:

Why are you automatically implying that poor = minority? Never once have I brought race into the discussion, only money yet you're somehow implying that I'm racist because of it.

LeJackal posted:

Once again... :ironicat:

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Gravel Gravy posted:

Whichever one gets your motor running.

Wow, a running motor, what do you need that for, to run over billions of black muslim autistic children, you fascist rethuglikkkan?

Bernie 2016

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Checkmate lieberals. http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/21/politics/gun-control-poll-americans/index.html

With the gap in passion between the two sides it might as well be 10-to-1.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

MariusLecter posted:

But I thought you did so when I shoot you I will in fact have been fearing for my life

checkmate
lol in chess you capture the king

I believe you mean

Russian roulette

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

DeusExMachinima posted:

Checkmate lieberals. http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/21/politics/gun-control-poll-americans/index.html

With the gap in passion between the two sides it might as well be 10-to-1.

Let's not bring American opinion into this, we know how bad it is on most subjects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

WitchFetish posted:

Wow, a running motor, what do you need that for, to run over billions of black muslim autistic children, you fascist rethuglikkkan?

Bernie 2016

No actually just to power the children's hospital I run in disaster prone areas you racist.

• Locked thread