Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Death?
This poll is closed.
Love it! 49 28.00%
Leave it! 59 33.71%
That is not dead which can eternal lie... 67 38.29%
Total: 175 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

LeJackal posted:

Hrmmm, is it that racists haven't tried veiled attempts at wholesale restrictions for an exercise of the right? No, thats not it.....hrmm. I'll figure out the difference eventually.

*Ignores and votes for the party that is restricting voting rights to minorities*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkyard Poodle
May 6, 2011

NNick posted:

LeJackal believes that the definition of hoarding must be applied equally to every item. Therefore:

Having 4 guns is not hoarding just as having 4 spoons is not hoarding just as having 4 cats is not hoarding just as having 4 wives if not hoarding just as having 4 televisions is not hoarding just as having 4 bombs is not hoarding just as having 4 helicopters is not hoarding just as having 4 houses is not hoarding, etc., etc.

I meant in the realm of gun debate, not forum slap fights. I'm wondering if the number of guns owned by an individual is a precursor to violence (or something else)?

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Gravel Gravy posted:

*Ignores and votes for the party that is restricting voting rights to minorities*

Yeah, you sure do know my voting record. :rolleyes:

Edit: For the reading impaired, the above statement is :siren: SARCASM :siren: and Gravel Gravy has no idea of how I vote.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
stop saying 'hoard'

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Junkyard Poodle posted:

I meant in the realm of gun debate, not forum slap fights. I'm wondering if the number of guns owned by an individual is a precursor to violence (or something else)?

More than one gun leads to more homicides than only one gun, but less suicides.

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

Junkyard Poodle posted:

What is the hoarding argument? What reason is someone owning 1000 guns vs 1 gun an important distinction? Also, let's all kill ourselves and rid the forum of this awful thread.

It's the assumption that everyone owning more than 1 gun is just hiding them everywhere around their house. Large gun safes are expensive so it would be prohibitively expensive to properly store 1000 guns, or even a number much smaller than that. 4 guns being the limit? That's just nintendo kid being about as nutty about his opinions as the gun hoarders.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

LeJackal posted:

Edit: For the reading impaired, the above statement is :siren: SARCASM :siren: and Gravel Gravy has no idea of how I vote.

I think it's safe to say that if a candidate is a gun, you will vote for them regardless of party affiliation.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Junkyard Poodle posted:

I think the question is what is a reasonable/responsible amount of guns a person should be allowed (or has a "right") to own taking into account public safety considering each individual firearm is capable of injuring/killing 30+ people if a "responsible gun owner" is no longer responsible.

Less guns in society = less death by guns (less guns that can be stolen, sold illegally, used in a mass shooting, etc), so overall lowering the number of guns is sound public policy to save lives without infringing on the "rights" of american citizens

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

LeJackal posted:

I mean, you've admitted the reason you own guns is to be able to kill people, so I don't know why being accused of voting GOP is so offensive to you.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

NNick posted:

I think the question is what is a reasonable/responsible amount of guns a person should be allowed (or has a "right") to own taking into account public safety considering each individual firearm is capable of injuring/killing 30+ people if a "responsible gun owner" is no longer responsible.

Better demonstrate the proof of your premise there, bucko.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

LeJackal posted:

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Let me post the table again because maybe your eyes glazed over it for some reason. But, after all, repetition is at the basis of teaching so I don't mind posting it again.

Are you able to read it, or do you need an explanation on what the words mean?

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

LeJackal posted:

Oh wait, are you saying guns can't kill 30 people if used in a public location against a group of people?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

LeJackal posted:

So then you vote for the party that promotes gun control?

It's either that or you don't vote or vote third party. Either has the same result.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

NNick posted:

Oh wait, are you saying guns can't kill 30 people if used in a public location against a group of people?

You could kill 30 people in public with a frozen microwave burrito if you wanted. Therefore in the interest of public safety all 7-11 stores must be shut down.

(In addition they also sell gasoline, a substance which has been used to kill hundreds of people at a time, so in the interest of public safety they have been double shut down.)

Sorry.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

spoon0042 posted:

stop saying 'hoard'

I like playing hoard mode though

Obama banned my chainsaw bayonet :(

NNick posted:

No we're saying, who cares? Mass shootings aren't the statistically significant gun control argument you're looking for.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

LeJackal posted:

You could kill 30 people in public with a frozen microwave burrito if you wanted. Therefore in the interest of public safety all 7-11 stores must be shut down.

Sorry.

We have reached peak gun debate thread. Shut it down.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

DeusExMachinima posted:

I like playing hoard mode though

Obama banned my chainsaw bayonet :(

No we're saying, who cares? Mass shootings aren't the statistically significant gun control argument you're looking for.

You mean "horde"

How can anyone take your arguments seriously if you can't get such a minor detail.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

You ought to be, because this is probably the worst post in a thread full of bad posts.

DeusExMachinima posted:

They contribute. As do the suicides, corner shootings, accidents, yadda yadda yadda. They also have a pretty remarkable resonance in the media - after all, it's not that often that many children die because of guns. Taking suicides, for examples, there's approximately "only" one child suicide with a gun every two days, and child homicides are statistically rare.
Except when a school shooting occurs.
So preventng mass shootings is important when the purpose is to reduce the number of children who die to guns.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'm gonna repost this site because it's cool seeing all the homemade guns police keep finding all over the world.

Pay special attention to the huge variety of guns that keep getting found in Brazil, a country with much stricter gun laws than the US :smugdog:

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

DeusExMachinima posted:

I wasn't providing a statically significant argument because plenty of those have been shown and are completely ignored.

But then again, I am arguing against people who see no difference between a microwave and a gun, so what should I expect?

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

-Troika- posted:

I'm gonna repost this site because it's cool seeing all the homemade guns police keep finding all over the world.

Pay special attention to the huge variety of guns that keep getting found in Brazil, a country with much stricter gun laws than the US :smugdog:

ok, you can have all the guns you make yourself. compromise!

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

-Troika- posted:

Is it true you got into guns because you really liked an autistic anime character and wanted to emulate him?

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

spoon0042 posted:

ok, you can have all the guns you make yourself. compromise!

Did you look up that ghost gunner thing someone posted about earlier in the thread? Because that is a sign of things to come: very soon it will be quite possible to 3D print just about every part of a gun other than the barrel on an inexpensive machine you could keep in the trunk of your car.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

-Troika- posted:

Please adress the claims that you are into guns because of anime, -Troika-.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Why are you guys arguing the legality of naval guns. I don't own any gunsmyself. I do however own 3 FIREARMS. Am I a hoarder or nah

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

LeoMarr posted:

I have 3 guns so im not a hoarder :smith:

You are sentenced to buy a number of guns equal to your daily caloric intake :twisted:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

-Troika- posted:

You are sentenced to buy a number of guns equal to your daily caloric intake :twisted:

that's a lot of Mosins.

Anyway, I bought a pretty sweet Glock 19 a few weeks ago, I shot it with the copper stuff and had like 7 FTEs. but then I cleaned it and now it cycles really well. I'd recommend a G19 for anyone who wants a fairly nice handgun.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Oct 21, 2015

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I remain curious as to how the apparently racist nature of gun laws interacts with the substantial tendency of minority groups to prefer more gun law, rather than less. Is there an explanation?

Also I think maybe Fishmech owned LeJackal? Is that what happened?

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

LeoMarr posted:

Why are you guys arguing the legality of naval guns. I don't own any gunsmyself. I do however own 3 FIREARMS. Am I a hoarder or nah

What's the difference? Is it that guns have golden fringes and therefore not subject to the 2nd Amendment?

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Nessus posted:

Also I think maybe Fishmech owned LeJackal? Is that what happened?

Enlightened gunhavers like me reject slavery. Nobody can own another human.

Junkyard Poodle
May 6, 2011

More than one gun leads to more homicides than only one gun, but less suicides.

Huh, that's interesting, I've never known about that. With the study you posted regarding high gun states vs low gun states, do they also look into the descriptive stats of guns an average gun owner owns per side? Such as % single gun owners? Average number of guns owned by someone who owns more than 1? etc Are there studies that elaborate on the 1=suicide, >1=homicide phenomenon?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Its not like the NRA promotes some truly crazy poo poo or anything...

https://twitter.com/NRA/status/656550453652533249

Let's see what we've got here...

http://bearingarms.com/gun-confiscation-fantasies-fast-tracking-democrat-party-destruction/

Oh, hey, look! A picture of gallows! Nice!

Its almost like they like promoting bullshit and conspiracy theories.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

What's the difference? Is it that guns have golden fringes and therefore not subject to the 2nd Amendment?

This is a gun.

This is a firearm.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

LeoMarr posted:

This is a gun.

This is a firearm.

Here is the church

Here is the steeple

Open the doors and someone that shouldn't have access to a gun just shot nine people.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

LeoMarr posted:

This is a gun.

This is a firearm.

Holy poo poo, this is pedantic and stupid.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

CommieGIR posted:

Its almost like they like promoting bullshit and conspiracy theories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJmFEv6BHM0

Sen. De Leon wants to expand “background checks” and gun registration to include “homemade guns” to stop “the threat of plastic guns that can slip through metal detectors.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

CommieGIR posted:

You should really use the correct terminology when being a communist an Anti-Firearm advocate.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

LeoMarr posted:

You should really use the correct terminology when being a communist an Anti-Firearm advocate.

clip

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

CommieGIR posted:

All methods are allowable to defend the Faith

e: Oh yeah, good idea. Clip. Clip. Clip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

LeoMarr posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJmFEv6BHM0

Sen. De Leon wants to expand “background checks” and gun registration to include “homemade guns” to stop “the threat of plastic guns that can slip through metal detectors.

LeoMarr posted:

Holy poo poo, Senator McCarthy, he lives again!

• Locked thread