Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Death?
This poll is closed.
Love it! 49 28.00%
Leave it! 59 33.71%
That is not dead which can eternal lie... 67 38.29%
Total: 175 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Reminder that the average American gun owner owns 4 guns, lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
300 million privately owned guns.

Only 70 million, 71 million tops people own any guns.

The average gun owner is therfore a hoarder with 4 or more guns.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

TheBuilder posted:

What is the best suppressor for a Remington 870?

Melting it down

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

LeJackal posted:

4 guns isn't a hoard. A deer rifle, varmint rifle and a duck shotgun is three right there. If you do turkey hunting then thats probably another shotgun, making 4.

That's a hoard dipshit.

Mavric posted:

Yes but of that many people how many are hunters, or do anything other than hoard them?

Australia provides some insight: about 11% of their population owns a gun (that's only half of America's) and the three major reasons to be allowed to own a gun there are that you're a farmer, that you're a hunting enthusiast, and much smaller that you're someone who's either already a professional target shooter or training to be one.

So probably like a a third of American gun owners actually have them for a real reason. "I need to kiss my gun every commute through suburbia" doesn't count as a real reason. To be fair a significant proportion of American gun owners also only have them at all because it's grandpa's gun and he passed it down - funnily enough they tend to only have one or two heirloom guns, and almost never use them.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

LeJackal posted:

4 items is a hoard?

Yes, 4 guns is a hoard you lead-huffin' loony. In most countries with sizable gun ownership, the average gun owner only owns 1 or 2. God only knows how much ammunition you have holed up because you swear you need 10000 rounds a week or some bullshit.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

DeusExMachinima posted:

Hey folks, just wanna say that Australian and UK style gun control will never happen in America d/w/i :cool:

Let's talk about the Defense Distributed Ghost Gunner CNC machine that manufactures an AR15 receiver out of an untraceable block of aircraft aluminum. Or how about people 3D printing 30-round magazines? That's pretty swag. Welcome to the 21st century bitches.

BTW background checks are poo poo and more power to anyone who dodges them. It's the government's job to prove you guilty when they have specific evidence you're plotting something--you know, a crime with an actual victim--not for you to have to prove your name isn't on a list because you bought something that scared Feinstein's feelings. :(

Yes it will.

Nerd printed guns are just further proof there's no need it needs to be legal to sell already manufactured guns. Keep talking up how great your 3 day long nerd gun process is, it just justifies closing all gun shops even more.

Sorry that you're a criminal I guess?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Having 4 guns is a hoard, deal with it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

LeJackal posted:

You're loving loon. Deal with it.

Nop,e gun owners are the loons in america.

DeusExMachinima posted:

I can talk up nerd guns all I want fear-free because as previously mentioned

Yes you can talk up nerd guns all you want because your sexual fetish is kissing guns, and you never ever go outside.

furiouskoala posted:

It is perfectly reasonable to own four guns if you hunt.

Nope, psychopath.

LeJackal posted:

Whoah whoah now, thats a :siren: HOARD :siren: DUDE!

Some people just feel an urge to feed their families, man. Weirdest thing, having compassion and concern for other humans. Maybe you'll develop this capability eventually.

You are a literally a hoarder. Maybe if you didn't keep buying so much guns and ammo you could feed your family? Or if you ever voted for sane politicians instead of the ones who tell you guns are cool, the government could help you feed your family.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

LeJackal posted:

Its perfectly reasonable for a chef to own four knives.

Its perfectly reasonable for a lumberjack to own four chainsaws.

Its perfectly reasonable for a painter to own four brushes.

Its perfectly reasonable for [person] to own four [items].

Strangely, the cost of a single .30-06 round is far less than the cost of the amount of meat it can provide.

Hey moron, it's not reasonable to own 4 guns.

You know what costs even less than hoarding ammunition? Voting for non--insane politicians that support social services.

DeusExMachinima posted:

Still need a confirm/deny that you're crying like a little bitch over the fact I am buying and selling guns without asking the permission of my betters.

You're the one crying "b-b-but if you ban guns why I'll make my 3d printed nerd gun it only takes 90 hours and can shoot a whole 4 times before it breaks!!"

DeusExMachinima posted:

Could you also confirm/deny that you pragmatically, nominally support the disenfranchisement of minority males if it furthers your political goals re:gun control?

Minorities are heavily in favor of restricted gun access for everyone, which you'd know if you weren't afraid to speak to them. Those dastardly minorities, withholding guns from themselves!

Of course, like LeJackal, you're so delusional that you think the reason that the gun owning population has fallen to 22% is jackbooted government thugs rather than 78% of the population having no need or want for a personal gun, let alone 4 or more.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

DeusExMachinima posted:

You're right, I shouldn't say that I will do that. Because I won't. Because I'll never have to in this country. :d:

Agree unironically. They're really missing out IMHO.

22%? I've heard 3X%'s but not 22.

You will have to in this country, if you don't end up shooting your fool self by accident (as is fairly likely).

They aren't though. Most people are perfectly happy owning 0 guns and maybe borrowing a club or range's weapons to use for the occasional weekend.

http://www.newsweek.com/us-gun-ownership-declines-312822

Only 32 percent of Americans own a firearm or live with someone who does, compared with about half the population in the late 1970s and early 1980s, according to the 2014 General Social Survey (GSS). The poll also found that 22 percent of Americans personally own a firearm, down from a high of 31 percent in 1985. The percentage of men who own a firearm is down from 50 percent in 1980 to 35 percent in 2014, while the number of women who own a gun has remained relatively steady since 1980, coming in at 12 percent in 2014.

LeJackal posted:

Strong arguement, bro.

I'm sorry that you're a hoarder. Too bad there'll never be sufficient mental health funding to fix you.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Nevvy Z posted:

Did we ever get a rational argument against sensible restrictions beyond MY RIGHTS?

Gun hoarders are so insane that they think they have anything more to gain, and therefore should gain more.

Meanwhile the amount of people willing to even own a single gun continues to slowly lessen.

Thanks for posting further evidence that there's no need for it to be legal to purchase new guns. Just make them yourself if you really need it!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Reminder that DREADED GUN HELLHOLE Australia's gun ownership rate is a little over 50% of America's.

Killer robot posted:

The idea that someone collecting a bunch of guns is significantly more of a problem than someone having one gun isn't the dumbest pearl clutching on the anti-gun side, but that just says a lot about its competition since it's still pretty drat dumb. To be fair, like most reactionary soundbites I imagine a good number of those who say it know that, they just hope it will resonate with low-information supporters who aren't invested enough to think it through.

I didn't say it's more of a problem. I just said it's a sign of hoarding tendencies. Reminder that the average guns per gun owner in America is 4.1 - considering how many people out there only have one gun, there's some serious hoarding to bring up the average that high. 70 to 71 million Americans owning 290-300 million or more guns.

And hoarding tendencies well, aren't the TFR crew all about "supporting mental health"?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
It ain't even illegal to get a handgun in Austrlaia. You just can't get it for the purpose of making your dick feel bigger.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

size1one posted:

Because a homemade gun wouldn't be nearly as safe to use. You keeping stating how likely gun owners are to accidentally hurt themselves or someone else but here you are advocating that they increase the chances of that happening.

If they cared about safety they could just use one of the guns they already own, or one of the millions of extra guns owned in this country. But what they actually want is another gun to hoard, so they can feel free to go and make as many as they want. Not like they're going to be anything but closet warmers in the first place.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

LeJackal posted:

If all they're doing is sitting in a closet, whats wrong with a 'hoard' of :siren: FIVE :siren: guns?

It's not my fault you get so offended when it's pointed out you're a hoarder, hoarder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Just wondering but can anyone name the countries that actually ban guns, and if so what types? Like 99% of the time it seems to be just "it's a real hassle to get X subtype"?

Thanks in advance.

• Locked thread