Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Decebal posted:

When will victory be achieved so we can all become humanists ? Is anyone keeping track ?

we can only be equal once women have had 10,000 years of domination over men as compensation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

Top City Homo posted:

feminism as we know it is a liberal bourgeois oedipal rebellion by women against their father.It is the belief that women have been put in a position of alienation with their husband, so to liberate themselves they require equality to that of a man, the equality of a beast of burden.

They are equal in the sense that just as men had been commodified through wage slavery, now so are women. The bourgeois women wanted to enter the labor market as single female lawyers, doctors etc in order to do that they needed nannies, generally women who were paid less than the bourgeois women. So in a sense, feminism has put women into a position of alienation with their husband and now their employer into what is called the "double shift". This has devastated the family life of the poor.

Sex liberation has continued the commodification of women through marketing consumerism. On the one hand women are daily marketed based on their body parts and treated as sex objects with no agency in every media outlet but some women like Sasha Gray paradoxically insist to be treated not like sex objects but as human beings and that it is empowering to be double penetrated on television or dressed like prostitutes, even if their entire existence triggers the marketing programming men are inundated with daily.

Who are you quoting?

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011
IT HAPPENED TO ME: My Tinder Date Told Me Halfway Through The Date That He Wasn’t Interested And He Was Going To Leave

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

City of Tampa posted:

no the percentage of loathsome people is way way higher for feminists, especially on the internet. Internet feminists have basically become the counterbalance to PUAs as far as loathability is concerned, and there is a whole lot more of them too.

Nah. It's probably about the same as the % of loathsome creationists, Dr. Who fans, atheists, basically anything.

You're just more exposed to internet feminists because Rowdy Trout has to make a thread every day about it. If not for SA I would probably not ever see any crazed internet feminists or tumblr people.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
if your 8 year old daughter really really wants to be a sexy cop isn't it misogynistic to tell her than she can't be? That's literally a patriarch telling a female what her role in society is supposed to be.

Troutful
May 31, 2011

People think feminism would be a healthier movement without the weirdos, but I disagree, you need loud humorless people to open up the dialogue and then you need quieter people to swoop in and change minds and convince dudes that we won't all come after their balls with a cheese grater. I poo poo you not I once had a guy high-five me in public and say, quote, "finally, a logical feminist!" when all I did was answer his questions about feminism using my indoor voice and without having purple hair.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SHISHKABOB posted:

I think that people who bitch about feminism are complete idiots.

1: they are misplacing their ire
2: they are probably bitching for entirely stupid reasons

City of Tampa posted:

no the percentage of loathsome people is way way higher for feminists, especially on the internet. Internet feminists have basically become the counterbalance to PUAs as far as loathability is concerned, and there is a whole lot more of them too.

If you honestly find that even slightly as loathsome as systemic ingrained pervasive misogyny, please refer to #1.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
Can dogs be feminists?

Troutful
May 31, 2011

can I get a link to the feminists who are as unlikeable as the PUA community, a literal hate group

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

City of Tampa posted:

people's exhibit A:

Ralp posted:

If you honestly find that even slightly as loathsome as systemic ingrained pervasive misogyny, please refer to #1.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Troutful posted:

can I get a link to the feminists who are as unlikeable as the PUA community, a literal hate group

http://forums.somethingawful.com i hear it's full of sjws and pc people and other dumb acronyms used exclusively by stupid people

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Ralp posted:

I would argue that while systemic ingrained pervasive misogyny is loathsome to be sure, as well as insidious in its subtlety, it's still possible for a woman (most women, in fact) to live a happy, fulfilled and productive life in American society.

Objectionable feminists are more in-your-face obnoxious and it's not possible to be happy, fulfilled or productive for any period of time in their company.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

Neptr posted:

IT HAPPENED TO ME: My Tinder Date Told Me Halfway Through The Date That He Wasn’t Interested And He Was Going To Leave

If the date ended there, that's not halfway :eng101:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I have the same attitude toward feminism that Gandhi had toward Christianity basically

It's good in theory but as soon as it mixes with entitled white people on the Internet it becomes entirely about culture wars which are basically the whitest thing in existence

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles
haha yeah gently caress white people!!

memy posted:

If the date ended there, that's not halfway :eng101:

Are you saying that women are bad at math?? Sexist pig

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Pththya-lyi posted:

Feminism is capitalism? Well, I guess feminism is competing in the free market of ideas, but that's true of any ideology, isn't it?

males and females are all underprivileged under capitalism

hth

Bamford Brownstone
Jul 21, 2010
I'm not really a fan of any -isms. All of them are pretty bad. Except Autism because that poo poo is hilarious.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

skeletonotherkin posted:

Who are you quoting?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do5zrdTb-yI

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

loquacius posted:

I have the same attitude toward feminism that Gandhi had toward Christianity basically

Better that than to have the attitude Ghandi had toward Black people, that's for sure.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

"Sure, I was born to wealthy parents who supplied me with a comfortable upbringing and a good education, and I have used my resources and human capital to secure myself meaningful work where I am respected for my contributions and compensated well enough to live quite comfortably in the richest nation on Earth. But this children's cartoon implies that being physically attractive is a good thing, so I'm basically a second-class citizen."

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

Pawl posted:

No I'm saying white people are bad at math
The white person in this example happens to be a woman

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Pawl posted:

haha yeah gently caress white people!!

Basically yeah

If you are white and you're whining about something in America you're most likely wrong

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Pawl posted:

I first read this as Sexist.jpig and was amused.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
feminists prefer a diet of wet and dry food. misogynists eat only dry food and misandrists eat only wet food.

kindermord
Jun 5, 2003
ducks is chickens with swimmy toes

loquacius posted:

If you are white and you're whining about something in America you're most likely wrong

well goons are mostly white americans and whining is all we ever... ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
bad feminists are all like "hmm i'm a failure i dont have a job or friends and no dates hmm gotta be 'cause of the patriarchy better center my whole life around this idea to make sure people know I am actually important and attractive"
mra are like "hmm i'm a failure i dont have a job or friends and no dates hmm gotta be 'cause of the feminists better center my whole life around this idea to make sure people know I am actually important and attractive"

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Feminism is good though, it's kinda hosed up to think women couldn't even be part of the democratic process a hundred years ago

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Top City Homo posted:

males and females are all underprivileged under capitalism

hth

Oooh, okay

I getcha

But I notice that most executive officers and board members are men, especially at the most profitable companies. So I wonder if some groups aren't more hosed over by capitalism than others

Redmanred
Aug 29, 2005

My hometown japan
:japan:

Ahundredbux posted:

bad feminists are all like "hmm i'm a failure i dont have a job or friends and no dates hmm gotta be 'cause of the patriarchy better center my whole life around this idea to make sure people know I am actually important and attractive"
mra are like "hmm i'm a failure i dont have a job or friends and no dates hmm gotta be 'cause of the feminists better center my whole life around this idea to make sure people know I am actually important and attractive"

These two people should meet up and have some awful awful awful children.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Applewhite posted:

I've met some pretty despicable feminists irl, but not since leaving academia (I still meet plenty online, though). Turns out accusing everyone and everything of sexism isn't conducive to being a functioning member of society.
I dunno, i just feel like there's a tendency for people to try and discredit valid movements by pointing at the worst people in a group and generalizing from there. Pretty much every girl ive dated except my current gf has been a self described feminist with feminist friends that read blogs and do activism stuff and in my experience these are chill and empathetic people. When i was dating a pysch grad student i hung out with her friends a lot at the local pub and in a group of 8 women, me, and maybe one other boyfriend there was really only one that was a bit too preachy about the subject and it really only happened when she was drunk. I am positive that outsiders to the group would see some lesbians discussing the latest feminism related current event and go "ugh militants feminists" but as a dude inside the group I can tell you that I never felt like their discussions came across as manhating or unfairly generalizing.

Its funny though cause online ive been accused of being an mra at times (and an sjw at others) and i think online is where people understandably get the impression that people use stuff like "misogyny" as a cudgel to beat down opposing views but my point is I think this is severely exaggerated when it applies to irl discussions on this topic.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Moridin920 posted:

I agree

many of the most vocal anything are loathsome, that's not a dig against feminism specifically.

can we stop having constant feminism threads by the way? it really makes us seem like idiot nerdlords just get over it already women play video games now too.

It's you. You are the idiot nerdlord

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

ArbitraryC posted:

I dunno, i just feel like there's a tendency for people to try and discredit valid movements by pointing at the worst people in a group and generalizing from there. Pretty much every girl ive dated except my current gf has been a self described feminist with feminist friends that read blogs and do activism stuff and in my experience these are chill and empathetic people. When i was dating a pysch grad student i hung out with her friends a lot at the local pub and in a group of 8 women, me, and maybe one other boyfriend there was really only one that was a bit too preachy about the subject and it really only happened when she was drunk. I am positive that outsiders to the group would see some lesbians discussing the latest feminism related current event and go "ugh militants feminists" but as a dude inside the group I can tell you that I never felt like their discussions came across as manhating or unfairly generalizing.

Its funny though cause online ive been accused of being an mra at times (and an sjw at others) and i think online is where people understandably get the impression that people use stuff like "misogyny" as a cudgel to beat down opposing views but my point is I think this is severely exaggerated when it applies to irl discussions on this topic.

This is consistent with my experience. Like I said, I haven't encountered any really reprehensible feminists since leaving college. I still spend time with irl feminists, they're just not awful, awful people.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I also only know one person IRL who is ever overly preachy about feminism stuff (nb: she is white, of privileged background, and currently a doctor) and whenever she brings up the subject her boyfriend goes completely silent until the topic changes but otherwise it's fine. The Internet is where the real problem is, because 99% of all white whines happen on the Internet. People are a lot more self-conscious about the things they say in person.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I had a 'feminist' for a roommate. Like hung up anti-men posters on her side of the room. Along with anti-war and anti-violence and anti-smoking and anti-pollution stuff. It was college so I was just like 'ok'.

But it was kind of weird.

Later that year she ended up dating an army dude with a pack-a-day habit. That was pretty funny.

That's my story, see ya later folks.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

String Beans posted:

These two people should meet up and have some awful awful awful children.

I'm reasonably sure this character type is conflict averse and only openly speaks about their opinions online and handle the opposite sex with silent contempt and avoidance in real life
sorry about your awful child fantasy :(

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Troutful posted:

http://www.reddit.com

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Ahundredbux posted:

I'm reasonably sure this character type is conflict averse and only openly speaks about their opinions online and handle the opposite sex with silent contempt and avoidance in real life
sorry about your awful child fantasy :(

Yeah if they ever met IRL and were attracted to each other they'd probably each just sit there stewing silently about how they can't make a move because the other is obviously too superficial (like everyone else of their kind) to give them the time of day, then commence self-pity and bitter tweets

It's kind of a moot point though because both of them are probably ugly with unrealistic standards anyway

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

loquacius posted:

It's kind of a moot point though because both of them are probably ugly with unrealistic standards anyway

mostly this tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Uncle Wemus posted:

It's you. You are the idiot nerdlord

Maybe but I just hosed last night and MRAs have their dicks wither away until they go on a shooting spree because no one would send nudes.

• Locked thread