Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
old fat bird
Oct 27, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

naem posted:

They told the girl with star tattoos that the ink might react to an mri and got her all freaked out, then stuck her in one, you know, a big scary humming magnet tube, while she cried and filmed it, then she vanished

MRI's are haunted, myth busted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

naem posted:

Anybody remember their attempt to clone Mythbusters called SMASHLAB?

It was all the explosions and cars and stuff from MB but with uninspired paid actors who didn't look like they wanted to be there and no real plot or purpose it was embarrassing.

"What if we smash some cars togethrer, again? Haha woo yeah it's *looks at cue card* Smashlab time!" *awkward pause*

there was a recentish attempt at recreating it too and I had to turn it off when it started with "look at these really funny youtube videos" *Shows clips of actual car accidents which looked fatal*

I can't remember the name of it though

e: had some ex-army guy in it too who was trying so so hard to be tough

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Oct 24, 2015

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06aRQ-ejqmU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

hemale in pain posted:

there was a recentish attempt at recreating it too and I had to turn it off when it started with "look at these really funny youtube videos" *Shows clips of actual car accidents which looked fatal*

I can't remember the name of it though

e: had some ex-army guy in it too who was trying so so hard to be tough

Also foreign knockoffs, like the ~X TEAM~ aka the germanoid A Team tries out mythbusting on a shoestring budget with making cringe-inducingly bad double entendre

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

remember that time on smash lab when they smashed their cocks together

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Watch British show Brainiac: Science Abuse.
It's basically Top Gear midget Richard Hammond blowing poo poo up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m55kgyApYrY

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Otacon posted:

That episode was beautiful, and I too caught it half-way through, not knowing what the myth even was. But hearing Adam talk about the curvature of Earth brought an actual tear to my eyes. Absolutely breath-taking.

I wonder what I'd have to do to get Discovery to pay for me to fly in a U2.

The U2 is also a more practical method of transportation if you want to fly over Ukraine.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Those shoes are not practical in a laboratory, ma'am. :colbert:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Say Nothing posted:

Watch British show Brainiac: Science Abuse.
It's basically Top Gear midget Richard Hammond blowing poo poo up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m55kgyApYrY

They also faked drat near everything.

There were so many reason that show was so loving bad. It was like watching a lovely lad's magazine come to life.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

computer parts posted:

Current Programming (via Wikipedia):

Alaska: The Last Frontier
Alaskan Bush People
Amish Mafia
Buying Alaska
Dual Survival
Cuff Me If You Can
Dirty Jobs
Dude, You're Screwed
Edge of Alaska
Fast N' Loud
FBI: Criminal Pursuit
Gang Wars
Gold Rush
I (Almost) Got Away With It
Lost and Sold
Misfit Garage
Moonshiners
Naked & Afraid
Pot Cops
Treasure Quest: Snake Island
Yukon Men
You Have Been Warned
Deadliest Catch

Is this real? I know some of them are real and they all seem plausible bit I can't tell any more. HOw many shows do you need about Alaska?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I haven't watched in many years, but I hope in the last season they get us answers about the holocaust, and about whether squirting is just pee or something else.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

The plane on the treadmill & the dropped vs fired bullet experiments are legit awesome bits of video that I imagine will survive in science classes for a long time.

I still love them obliterating that cement truck too

Also what that goon said about the water heaters. It was like those water rockets I played with as a kid x100. Makes you appreciate modern safety mechanisms

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

computer parts posted:

Alaskan Bush People
Amish Mafia
Buying Alaska
Dual Survival
Cuff Me If You Can
Dirty Jobs
Dude, You're Screwed
Edge of Alaska
Fast N' Loud
Gang Wars
Gold Rush
Lost and Sold
Misfit Garage
Moonshiners
Naked & Afraid
Pot Cops
Yukon Men
You Have Been Warned
Deadliest Catch

This is why TV has gone to poo poo, there's not even any animal or science shows on it

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

remember wild discovery? with those cool rear end drums, and then the lion eyes looking at you through the discovery logo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOgWJD2oKJQ

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Oct 28, 2015

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

You didn't say what I think you said...
I can't remember where I heard this, but one of the reasons people don't really know what Jaime does for a job is that a lot of it is building and testing government and military projects in addition to working with DARPA. Top secret stuff, so nobody talked about it. Kinda interesting.

Which makes the final show all the more interesting:
"Can a Russian tank be melted into slag by a laser from 500 yards? Railguns are depicted in video games as being able to shoot though almost anything. Tonight we find out what they mean by 'anything'. That and more tonight on Mythbusters!"

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

The Bible posted:

One day, Kari is going to be old, dry, and wrinkled.

And I still would and she still wouldn't.

did she end up having a kid?

Jesus Christ posted:

Remember a few years ago when that picture of a dude that looked just like Adam showing his butthole to his webcam surfaced on the internet and everyone really thought it was Adam for a while?

That was peak Mythbusters

Yeah I remember it being posted in the discovery channel forums n poo poo and people saying their kids opened it and literally cried from being traumatized.

I couldn't stop laughing.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Al Borland posted:

it was grant's forbidden halfbreed baby

acejackson42 posted:

Which makes the final show all the more interesting:
"Can a Russian tank be melted into slag by a laser from 500 yards?"
the answer will be yes, but it'll end up being a bait article truth like the navy laser that can disable the engines on somalian pirate ships. however, the caveat is that the target needs to be completely still and it takes five hours.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Al Borland posted:

Yes, and apparently after they blew out all the windows in a town by setting off a big bomb, the producers sent her to go do the press release/apology because "nobody can stay mad at a pregnant woman!"

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

computer parts posted:

Alaskan Bush People
Amish Mafia
Buying Alaska
Dual Survival
Cuff Me If You Can
Dirty Jobs
Dude, You're Screwed
Edge of Alaska
Fast N' Loud
Gang Wars
Gold Rush
Lost and Sold
Misfit Garage
Moonshiners
Naked & Afraid
Pot Cops
Yukon Men
You Have Been Warned
Deadliest Catch
Mythbusters might have gotten really dumb in recent years, but it was still more educational than all of this poo poo put together.

I'm so loving sick of all these Alaska shows. Idiots need to get over themselves already. "We're a bunch of tough individualists! Our Sarah was almost president! Don't need no guvmint tellin' me wut to do!" *Blows yearly oil company bribe on Duck Dynasty merchandise.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Casimir Radon posted:

Mythbusters might have gotten really dumb in recent years, but it was still more educational than all of this poo poo put together.

I'm so loving sick of all these Alaska shows. Idiots need to get over themselves already. "We're a bunch of tough individualists! Our Sarah was almost president! Don't need no guvmint tellin' me wut to do!" *Blows yearly oil company bribe on Duck Dynasty merchandise.

it's kind of sad+amusing how Discovery, which used to have cool PBS-esque documentaries on animals/rocks/whatever, and has become the "fake blue-collar job "reality-documentary" tv" shows catering to a bunch of borderline retarded rednecks/red obese fucks, who probably picture themselves as some grizzled hardboiled manly man when infact they're just amorphous blobs glued to their hoverround eating hungry man tv dinners and poo poo buying gold online.

And channels like History went from 'heres some cool WW2 tech and weapons, and hitler was bad but WW2 was cool lets talk WW2, oh yea check out this documentary on bad-rear end submarines, oh yeah documentary on some really cool big rear end equipment and buildings" to SPACE ALIENS JESUS HITLER CATDRUGS GHOSTS!!!! channel. And TLC... well that went into a clusterfuck of genderfluid quiverful deep-end bullshit really fast

i wonder how that "evolution" happened

Xaris fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Oct 28, 2015

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

it costs money to do actual research, or like to have a guy sit behind a bush in some remote wildlife refuge for a month to get 2 minutes of the rare spotted dookiebird

it costs less money to follow a bunch of hicks around and film them arguing with each other, then tack on all of those teaser and catch-up segments

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Lutha Mahtin posted:

it costs less money to follow a bunch of hicks around and film them arguing with each other, then tack on all of those teaser and catch-up segments

moonshiners is my poo poo tbqh

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

C.M. Kruger posted:

Yes, and apparently after they blew out all the windows in a town by setting off a big bomb, the producers sent her to go do the press release/apology because "nobody can stay mad at a pregnant woman!"

:siren: I just discovered that if you google "Kari Byron pregnant" you can uncover a whole new realm of creepy internet fetishists :siren:

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

You didn't say what I think you said...

The White Dragon posted:

it was grant's forbidden halfbreed baby

the answer will be yes, but it'll end up being a bait article truth like the navy laser that can disable the engines on somalian pirate ships. however, the caveat is that the target needs to be completely still and it takes five hours.

But THIS is something Jamie and his actual employees have been working on for more than a decade, and because it's the last show ever, the answer will be most certainly ye()*&j k;nab OH CHRIST IT"S MALFUNCTIONG AND POINTING AT THE EARTH"S CORE we're dead, there is no god it's all over...

*screen sparks out while showing molten rock spewing endlessly from rapidly widening laser hole*

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Maybe since it's their last season they'll get that Greek mirror weapon thing working the president told you to you bastards

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

didn't some other group get the Greek death-ray working before MB even tried it, but they still were adamant that it was absolutely impossible?

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Xaris posted:

it's kind of sad+amusing how Discovery, which used to have cool PBS-esque documentaries on animals/rocks/whatever, and has become the "fake blue-collar job "reality-documentary" tv" shows catering to a bunch of borderline retarded rednecks/red obese fucks, who probably picture themselves as some grizzled hardboiled manly man when infact they're just amorphous blobs glued to their hoverround eating hungry man tv dinners and poo poo buying gold online.

And channels like History went from 'heres some cool WW2 tech and weapons, and hitler was bad but WW2 was cool lets talk WW2, oh yea check out this documentary on bad-rear end submarines, oh yeah documentary on some really cool big rear end equipment and buildings" to SPACE ALIENS JESUS HITLER CATDRUGS GHOSTS!!!! channel. And TLC... well that went into a clusterfuck of genderfluid quiverful deep-end bullshit really fast

the last good thing worth watching on discovery was the walking with dinosaurs tv special and that had people from all over tuning in

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Xaris posted:

Reality TV show is easier to film, requires lower budget and people are addicted to that poo poo too so it's ratings gold.

I still pine away for when the History Channel was stuff like Hitler's Amazing Failed Weapons

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
When a station starts out it's easier to get into a specific niche that isn't filled, but once it has an audience it is more profitable to run the same generic bullshit as every other cable channel. It's strange that it works but it's been happening for over three decades now, so it's a proven formula.

I think part of it is that a cable time slot is a limited resource and anything, even if it is profitable, can only survive if it is more profitable than brain dead generic bullshit. I had hopes that services like YouTube would break this pattern by eliminating the whole concept of time slots, but it turned out that it works the exact same way except the brain dead generic bullshit is idiots playing video games.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Whatever happened to Junkyard Wars? Didn't that come out around the same time as Mythbusters?

jlechem
Nov 2, 2011

Fun Shoe

Kid CUDA posted:

what i love about mythbusters is how they remind you of what has happenned, what is happening, and what is going to happen, every 5 minutes, for 2 minutes.

basically the show has about 10 minutes of content but they make it last 60 minutes.

actually that's all american tv. you guys are loving dumb

This right loving here. I've always hated that about this show and you just crystallized it for me. Even before they ran out of myths the stretching of blah until you get to the money shot was tiresome.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

lonesomedwarf posted:

remember that time on smash lab when they smashed their cocks together

No? U have link, friend?

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:

Jesus Christ posted:

Adam showing his butthole to his webcam surfaced on the internet and everyone really thought it

good times for sure

i 'bated to it for sure

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Germstore posted:

When a station starts out it's easier to get into a specific niche that isn't filled, but once it has an audience it is more profitable to run the same generic bullshit as every other cable channel. It's strange that it works but it's been happening for over three decades now, so it's a proven formula.

I think part of it is that a cable time slot is a limited resource and anything, even if it is profitable, can only survive if it is more profitable than brain dead generic bullshit. I had hopes that services like YouTube would break this pattern by eliminating the whole concept of time slots, but it turned out that it works the exact same way except the brain dead generic bullshit is idiots playing video games.

It's mostly because a lot of channels are overspecialized so you quickly run out of material to do.

Like, take the History Channel. In theory there's enough material to last eons. In practice what people really care about is stuff that happened to White People in the past 100 years or so (exceptions being the Civil War and other :911: focused stuff). Once you get all that out of the way then it turns out people are more interested in Ancient Aliens than the post-colonial struggles of Latin American nations or w/e.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

naem posted:

They told the girl with star tattoos that the ink might react to an mri and got her all freaked out, then stuck her in one, you know, a big scary humming magnet tube, while she cried and filmed it, then she vanished

Not really, the MRI techs told her they scan people with tattoos all the time and nothing happens. Then they tattooed a piece of pork skin with this ridiculous ink that was basically as many iron filings as they could mix into a liquid and still have it flow. After they sent that through and nothing happened, she went through and was still a little nervous but I don't remember any crying or freaking out :shrug:

naem
May 29, 2011

Skeleton Ape posted:

Not really, the MRI techs told her they scan people with tattoos all the time and nothing happens. Then they tattooed a piece of pork skin with this ridiculous ink that was basically as many iron filings as they could mix into a liquid and still have it flow. After they sent that through and nothing happened, she went through and was still a little nervous but I don't remember any crying or freaking out :shrug:

Jaime made her, he totally said "it's TV you have to" and she shook visibly as tears welled up it was weird and then she never appeared on camera again

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

The White Dragon posted:

moonshiners is my poo poo tbqh

the show is staged.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

Al Borland posted:

the show is staged.

even when that guy falls onto his truck and like breaks his jaw?

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

naem posted:

Jaime made her, he totally said "it's TV you have to" and she shook visibly as tears welled up it was weird and then she never appeared on camera again

That IS weird! Guess my memory's off about that.

The only genuine freakouts I recall are when they made Kari undergo Chinese water torture and when a fish touched Grant's foot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Novo posted:

even when that guy falls onto his truck and like breaks his jaw?

probably a recreation.

• Locked thread