Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

yeah well that's just like your opinion, man

What is Duelyst?

Duelyst is a tactical collectable card game played on a grid. It's got the simple card based gameplay of Hearthstone mixed with the tactical positioning based gameplay of Final Fantasy Tactics. You make a deck with 40 cards and battle against another shmuck's 40 card deck. You can play minions, spells, or equip artifacts at the cost of mana, a resource that increases every turn. If you understand Hearthstone, you'll understand this game. The main thing that separates this game and makes it cooler than Hearthstone is the grid based positioning of your units and the severely reduced reliance on RNG. Games typically only last 5-10 minutes making it one of the quicker card games on the market.

Open Beta Launch Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xn5P4NPgpU

How to start playing

If you want to get started, you can download the game's client here: https://updates.counterplay.co/launcher or download the game through Steam. If you're running into issues you can use the web client if you have Chrome: http://play.duelyst.com/.

What's new?

In April 2016 the game changed the draw mechanics to now only draw 1 card at the end of each turn instead of 2. Additionally you now start each game with a 5 card hand and can replace 2 at the start. A couple weeks later a second patch came out that introduced Bloodborn Spells. At turns 3, 5, and 7 and every subsequent turn afterwards your general will have a 1 mana ability they can spend. There's now 12 generals in the game, two for each faction, and each of them have their own unique abilities. You unlocked these alternate generals by hitting level 10 with a faction. There's also boss battles, general skins, and a few expansions.

The Factions (shamelessly stolen from the official forums)

Lyonar - Lyonar uses lots of Provokes and high health Minions to focus on having massive presence on the battlefield. When playing as Lyonar, your goal is to amass a large, sturdy army to beat your opponent down. You can make use of Lyonar’s excellent healing abilities to keep your Minions and General alive. To finish your opponent off, you can use cards like Divine Bond to turn your Minions’ Health into damage to deal lots of damage in one Attack, or Skywind Glaives and other Zeal effects to turn your nearby Minions into powerhouse Attackers. Recommended for beginners.

Big rear end death ball faction. Their most popular playstyle revolves around air dropping high health giants on the battlefield (Ironcliffe Guardian) and then Divine Bonding them the next turn for the kill. This faction has a frustrating amount of provokes and heals to play against as well as really powerful AOE nukes. This is the faction where around 5 or 6 mana you NEED to kill their high health units before you end your turn otherwise you risk getting your poo poo stomped into the curb next turn. A very slow and defensive faction but still super strong.

Songhai - As Songhai, you can be very mobile and aggressive. You have lots of combos and synergy between your spells and units. You can use your superior mobility to outmaneuver your opponent’s Minions, preferring to avoid threats rather than facing them head-on. Spells like Mist Walking allow you to get in and out quickly, and put you in prime position to Backstab your opponents. Spells like Mist Dragon Seal allow you to teleport your Minions across the battlefield to make a hasty escape or a sneaky entrance.

The "ARE YOU loving SERIOUS HOW DID I DIE IN ONE TURN I WAS AT FULL loving HEALTH" faction. These guys are masters at one-turn kills if you can cycle the right cards into your hand. They play differently from other factions in the sense that positioning tends to mean jack poo poo to them. They can nuke you from range or move their units anywhere on the battlefield with the right spells. You also need to be a lot more conservative with what cards you play since you're constantly trying to build up your hand for your kill combo. Their current most popular variant is a spell based ping deck utilizing Four Winds Magi and Lantern Foxes. They have really lovely minion removal and absolutely no heals, so play these guys if you want to go all-in or if you want to feel like a dirty cheating rear end in a top hat.

Vetruvian - As Vetruvian, you are focused around using creatures with low base stats that have powerful special effects. You can also swarm your opponent with small creatures and buff them while drawing lots of cards. Using debuffs, you are able to weaken opposing Minions, reducing their Attack or mobility. You are most comfortable at range, controlling the ‘zone’ where your opponent can safely move. One single misstep can spell disaster against you, as your spells are often based on the position of your enemies on the battlefield. You can generate Dervish tokens with your spells and Minions and buff these Dervishes to gain a huge advantage in battle.

The magical space mummy faction that's surprisingly really hard to describe. They've got weak creatures but pretty much all of them have really cool poo poo they can do. Like Aymara Healer a 5/5 with provoke who, when killed, does 5 damage to the enemy general and heals you for 5. Or Portal Guardian, the 0/6 giant that gains attack every time you summon new creatures on the battlefield. Or the Obelisks which summon 2/2 tokens every turn they're out. Or the Pyromancer which hits every enemy in one direction simultaneously from a safe distance. The downside to this is that dispel really shuts down this faction.

Abyssian - As Abyssian, you excel at removing big threats and can generate many small Minions, while also having great late game threats. Deathwatch can power up your Minions, deal damage while healing you, or generate Wraithlings. Wraithlings are 1/1 tokens that can be used as sacrifices for powerful spells and cause more deaths on the battlefield to fuel Deathwatch effects. Additionally, you boast a wide range of removal spells and area control. Although you are high on damage and battlefield control, your creatures are not very efficient.

The hot-topic mall goth faction. Abyssian is the faction which focuses on death and swarming the battlefield with little minions. Abyssian has insane synergy between their cards. You summon a swarm of wraithlings and they start sacrificing themselves to kill the enemy's minions. Depending on what cards you have, every time one of them dies, your other creatures get stronger, you damage the enemy general, and you heal yourself. They have tons of instant removal options as well as having quite a lot of direct damage spells. They also can employ shadow creep decks which cover the battlefield in deadly zones that damage enemies who stand in it. They're one of the most well rounded factions, but they are severely neutered if you can clear out their minions every turn.

Magmar - As Magmar you are big, slow, and powerful. Once you reach your opponent, your enormous Minions and mighty Artifacts can deal massive damage! You can slowly take over the battlefield as your opponent runs out of space to retreat by using Grow Minions. You’ll quickly end your opponent's life in melee range by using Rush and Frenzy Minions along with Artifacts. Your removal is great, with lots of Area-of-Effect and Dispel. Recommended for New Players.

They have gigantic creatures which grow stronger every turn, powerful artifacts, and excellent healing. A lot of their minions will turn into an egg when they die and hatch back to full health next turn if the egg survives. Magmar also has the most amount of Frenzy units which will attack everything in range. With the changes to Mana Burn they lack the strong removal options they once had, but Egg Morph, Metamorphosis, Natural Selection, and Plasma Storm still give them a lot of options. They can be somewhat slow and their cards have high mana costs, but they also have an answer to just about everything. One interesting thing about them is that their removal is often times very situational. If you want to climb the ladder on a budget, this is your faction.

Vanar - When playing as Vanar, you want to use the battlefield and Minion blocking to your advantage. You excel at forcing your opponent into bad positions. You can trap your opponent using Walls and other Minions, eventually overwhelming them with massive battlefield presence. Superior removal gives you the ability to neutralize all sorts of threats. Using Vespyr Minion summons, you can trigger lots of different synergistic effects focused around keeping the battlefield clear of threats and buffing your Minions. You can Transform ANY minion on the battlefield to your advantage. Force your opponents to choose whether they get hit by Infiltrate Minions on their starting side or Avalanche on yours!

It's hard to summarize this faction because they can do so many god drat things but they mostly specialize in maintaining a tempo lead. Their minions have a lot of sticking power and synergize with each other through creature sub-type buffs. This faction can create walls around the map to box your enemy in and they have really powerful transformation spells that can be used to buff your weak creatures or neuter enemy ones. They're not too expensive to play, and are generally a very solid pick for new players.

Game Modes

Solo Challenges - These are single player "kill the enemy general in one turn" puzzles. It's basically a continuation of the tutorial, but it gets very challenging towards the end and it's actually quite rewarding.

Ranked Ladder - The standard game mode. You go head to head against an opponent and try to beat the snot out of him. Winning and losing affects your rank but there are safety nets if you lose. Once you hit rank 20, rank 10, rank 5, and rank 0, you cannot fall below those ranks again until the season resets at the start of the next month. Depending on how well you do each season you will be rewarded with new cards, gold, and spirit to craft new cards.

Gauntlet - This game's rendition of Arena or draft mode. You draft a 30 card deck from a selection of 3 randomized cards at a time and face off against other players until you either reach the win cap or you lose 3 times. The better your score, the better the rewards you get. It costs 150 gold to enter the arena but you will always earn at least 1 spirit orb when you finish. At higher ranks (7+ wins), you can earn free Gauntlet tickets to eventually go infinite.

AI Practice - Single player practice mode against the AI. These games will earn you faction XP up until level 10 which makes it perfect for unlocking basic cards and the alternate generals.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What's the best faction?
A: Kind of a cop out answer but there really is none. They're all good and they've all been seen at high levels of tournament play consistently. If one faction is out of the meta for a time, bimonthly patches and expansions usually can bring them back in. The easiest factions to do well with as a beginner are probably Lyonar or Magmar though.

Q: What cards should I disenchant?
A: If you're trying to fill your collection, I'd recommend you only disenchant cards that you have more than 3 copies of (the "Disenchant Extras" button does that for you). Some free-to-play players prefer to disenchant all the cards of certain factions so they can craft their favorite other faction's cards easier. I'm personally not a fan of that, but it is technically a viable way of making a top tier deck fairly quickly. There are plenty of cards though that are nearly worthless so a quick google search can find you disenchanting guides.

Q: What are the colors in the center of my cards mean?
A:They correspond to the card's rarity. White = common, blue = rare, purple = epic, orange = legendary.

Q: What's this poo poo about spirit and crafting?
A: If you disenchant a card, you permanently remove it from your collection in exchange for spirit which can be used to craft any card in the game. You get back only a fraction of the spirit it costs to make a card when you disenchant it so think carefully before you decide to axe cards left and right.

Q: Is this game pay-to-win?
A: The dreaded question every free-to-play game gets. This game is insanely generous compared to Hearthstone. With that said, if you buy a lot of packs, you're going to have an easier time starting out than someone who doesn't as a lot of legendary cards can be game changing and frustrating to deal with as a new player. I wouldn't say this makes the game pay-to-win though, as getting fully optimized decks in this game is actually pretty painless if you're free-to-play. With daily quests, first win of the day bonuses, solo challenges, 3 win gold bonuses, and hidden achievements, earning gold in this game is pretty fast. With light to moderate playing you can easily get a pack or two a day.

General Tips
  • It is much easier for your opponent to move or destroy your minions than your General. This means that your General is almost always the best blocker to keep your minions alive.
  • As a rule of thumb, any creature below 3 health can be easily killed by your opponent's General, who has 2 attack. Make sure to keep these minions away from danger.
  • When playing aggressively, be sure to block your opponent's escape path using your Minions. When you've got complete control, you can box in your opponent's General by surrounding them on all four sides.
  • Try to spend as much Mana as possible each turn. The Mana you don't spend in a turn won't be refunded to you.
  • Removal is king in this game. Pack your decks with lots of dispels, displacements, and kill spells.
  • Try to get into the habit of replacing 1 card at the beginning of your turn every turn.

Useful Resources

Kronikle fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jul 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Looks cool thanks for the share, god I wish games like this were focused on singleplayer. I have no standing interest in competition but it'll be fun to check out none the less.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!
I really want to like this game, but I'm finding the f2p model very grating.

Still, I'd definitely be up for mixing it up with some goons. My username there is same as here.

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

its got cool ideas and ok art but it seems slow and not the best and my opponents always disconnect

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

LordZoric posted:

I really want to like this game, but I'm finding the f2p model very grating.

Just curious, what do you find grating about it? For reference, it basically has the same f2p model as Hearthstone but you acquire gold at least twice as fast and your chances of getting an epic or legendary card are two to four times better, making it actually manageable for a free player.

Sofia Coppola_OD_ posted:

its got cool ideas and ok art but it seems slow and not the best and my opponents always disconnect

The turns aren't always lightning fast, but you draw 2 cards at the end of your turn and can always replace one card each turn. It makes for a lot of deck consistency and allows you to end games in 5-10 minutes on average. That's weird that you're encountering disconnecting opponents. I usually only ever meet an opponent who disconnects on me maybe 1 in every 15 games?

n8wood
Apr 19, 2002
I actually Kickstarted this awhile back before they made it F2P. They still haven't sent out the rewards yet. I played a few games so far and I'm enjoying it. I need something to replace Scrolls, and this is the closest thing I've found so far.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
The Factions

White People, White People, Monsters, White People, Monsters, White People

:edit: second group of white people even named after an African Empire. :lol:

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Oct 23, 2015

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Kronikle posted:

Just curious, what do you find grating about it? For reference, it basically has the same f2p model as Hearthstone but you acquire gold at least twice as fast and your chances of getting an epic or legendary card are two to four times better, making it actually manageable for a free player.

I really didn't like Hearthstone and Duelyst is trying to emulate Hearthstone pretty hard, which I suppose comes from having ex-Blizzard employees on staff.

If I'm being honest with myself, this just may not be my kind of game. My interest was piqued when it first hit kickstarter and was a buy-to-play game with a limited amount of units that were available right when you bought it. (They also promised that they were NOT doing a f2p model but, well...) I used to be a huge fan of the quasi-ccg Summoner Wars, but the fact that you roll a die to attack was a huge mar in an otherwise well-made game. Duelyst as it was originally pitched reminded me of a fundamentally better designed version of it. And it was, y'know, going to be on Steam so I could play it with my friends, so I got pretty hyped. I guess the good elements of Summoner Wars (an aggressively pro-consumer business model) have spoiled me on f2p games. The fact that there's some units that are just so fundamentally better than others kind of irritates me. Stuff like the Aymara Healer or even a ridiculously efficient card like Tusk Boar has just such a devastating effect in a game that I feel like it's ultimately less about strategy and more about who got the better cards in their packs.

My biggest gripe from a game design standpoint is it seems hard to mitigate a bad card draw. Sure you can mulligan one card per turn, but that's not really enough since this game relies on back-and-forth hard counters quite a bit. I've lost so many games simply because I drew the card I needed to save my General one turn too late.
Edit: Oh yes, and the Magmar faction seems like it is way better than the other factions just for their spells. I know they're supposed to be the noob faction, but it's crazy how good Mana Burn alone is.

Again, I may just not be cut out to play a f2p card game. :)

LordZoric fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Oct 23, 2015

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I do agree that it feels a lot rougher as a non-IAP player -- a lot of legendaries are crazy efficient relative to other cards of the same level. For example, compare Slithdar Elder with Dragonbone Golem. I've run into my share of decks with 3 copies of 3 legendaries and it sucks. On the other hand, I like the base game enough to keep playing, but it's understandable if it's not your cup of tea.

Btw, for the beginner's guide I feel like Vetruvian is a faction all about synergy -- individually each card is a bit weak but they have absolutely ruinous 2-card combos. Doesn't hurt that they have the most accessible card draw in the game. Their 2 cost obelysk is crazy annoying for being something you can summon 2 of the first turn, and nothing is more annoying to play around than a turn 1 pyromancer on the center row. Eventually, you will suffer a ton of humiliating losses to Stars' Fury.

I also think Vanar is the classic control faction -- a lot of ways to control pacing with Hailstone Prison, Chromatic Cold and Aspect of the Wolf. Every time I play a good Vanar half my units turn to wolves and half their units turn into other units when they die.

Anyway, nothing to add. Running an Abyssian and getting carried by the Bloodmoon Priestess + Shadowdancer combo :kheldragar:

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Haha I love/hate that combo. I've won so many games with it and lost just as many. If you don't have a dispel or some way to take those down, you're in a really rough spot.

Totally agree on Vanar, they are a really great control faction after some much needed buffs. I'm also a big fan of Mark of Solitude on a Vale Hunter for a 5/5 with range that the opponent can't actually dispel. I find that if they get rid of the Hunter's range, they don't realize that the "can't attack generals" thing doesn't apply to a counter-attack. Range threw me for a loop in this game, most tactical games like this have some sort of limit on how many spaces a unit can hit. So the jury is still out on infinite range on all ranged units actually working or not. I do know I love Killing Edge buffed Heartseekers in Songhai.

Recent patches have made healing-based Lyonar ridiculously good. Sundrop Elixir is easily one of the best cards in the game, and now that they have two units that are buffed by healing hitting the board. I hope that gets slightly nerfed soon.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I've been playing this game for around 2 months now. I actually made a huge thread for the game about a month ago, but it never picked up steam.

Although I still really like the game, I've become less enamored with it over time. As mentioned above the game has huge balancing issues with it's legendary cards, where instead of being unique or interesting, they are just much better value versions of the other cards. Once you get below Rank 10 the game becomes a contest of who has more legendary cards in their deck rather than anything resembling skill or tactics. I'm sure once you've played or paid enough to have a completely topped off deck, and everyone is throwing legendary cards around then it goes back to being more about tactics and positioning, but I think most people will get bored/discouraged way before they reach that point.

As in other games the arena mode (gauntlet) mitigates the rare card issue, but this mode also has serious issues in that half of the factions are significantly better than the other due to their gameplay gimmicks. Lyonar, Vanar, and Magmar decks are winning choices because their faction strategies just involve making GBS threads out a ton of great faction specific creatures. Songhai, Vertuvian, Abyssian rely more on card synergy and combos, and thus are almost always an inferior choice in arena. I pretty much only use my gold to play arena, and basically go infinite there, and all of my 9-win runs come from the first 3 factions I've named.

Those issues combined with the fact that they are adding new cards at a glacially slow rate means this game is likely not a lasting proposition. I imagine it will be a flash in the pan that will be around for about a year, and then fade out. Sort of like scrolls. I'm already eyeing Faeria at this point, as it looks a lot more interesting mechanically.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

This game is fun but man do I suck rear end at it. I like to think it's because I'm unfamiliar with cards/decks and what is possible in the game. But it is fun.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Megasabin posted:

I've been playing this game for around 2 months now. I actually made a huge thread for the game about a month ago, but it never picked up steam.

Although I still really like the game, I've become less enamored with it over time. As mentioned above the game has huge balancing issues with it's legendary cards, where instead of being unique or interesting, they are just much better value versions of the other cards. Once you get below Rank 10 the game becomes a contest of who has more legendary cards in their deck rather than anything resembling skill or tactics. I'm sure once you've played or paid enough to have a completely topped off deck, and everyone is throwing legendary cards around then it goes back to being more about tactics and positioning, but I think most people will get bored/discouraged way before they reach that point.

As in other games the arena mode (gauntlet) mitigates the rare card issue, but this mode also has serious issues in that half of the factions are significantly better than the other due to their gameplay gimmicks. Lyonar, Vanar, and Magmar decks are winning choices because their faction strategies just involve making GBS threads out a ton of great faction specific creatures. Songhai, Vertuvian, Abyssian rely more on card synergy and combos, and thus are almost always an inferior choice in arena. I pretty much only use my gold to play arena, and basically go infinite there, and all of my 9-win runs come from the first 3 factions I've named.

Those issues combined with the fact that they are adding new cards at a glacially slow rate means this game is likely not a lasting proposition. I imagine it will be a flash in the pan that will be around for about a year, and then fade out. Sort of like scrolls. I'm already eyeing Faeria at this point, as it looks a lot more interesting mechanically.

I agree with everything you've expressed. It's pretty clear they're designing the game around eventually feeling forced to buy card packs just to get an edge. The balance isn't just with legendaries. I think my two most hated cards in the game are Shadow Nova and Spiral Technique. Shadow Nova drops a 4x4 area of Shadow Creep that deals damage equal to the amount of shadow creep on the board at the end of your turn, so it's effectively a 4+ damage AoE spell. Spiral Technique just does a flat 8 damage to an enemy of your choice (aka the enemy general!). Both cost 7 mana to play in a game where 9 is your absolute max, so it's essentially giving up your entire turn to play it. But yet, why wouldn't you play either of them? Both are devastating. Yet neither make for interesting plays, you're just going to hit the enemy general and call it a day. There's no interesting counter-play or hard decisions to be made with these spells. They're just "I Win" buttons. Even the Gauntlet has some issues with dealing out cards. Sometimes I've gotten really amazing picks, and sometimes I just get garbage. Even Lyonar isn't all that hot if you never draw any of their units, or worse, never see a single Divine Bond.

I said before this game is trying way to hard to be a Hearthstone-killer rather than trying to be its own thing, and I think it'll be its downfall. It got frustrating for me quickly once I got to around Rank 14 and whole games would be lost due to a Lady Locke hitting the board or something equally game-changing. I got the impression they were struggling with their playerbase because the beta up until now was less "closed" and more "PM the devs and they'll beg you to give beta keys to all your friends." I tried getting some friends to play, most said they already were playing Hearthstone (and buying its card packs) and didn't care to start another online CCG. I think that's going to be a lot of people's experiences. It's too bad, I really would've loved Duelyst in its original form of a ~20 dollar game where you got everything in one go.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

It was already a bad sign 2 months ago when RPA gave out 10,000 keys, and there were still some available a month later. The fact that they've now officially entered open beta with a whimper instead of a mad rush is pretty much the death kiss. Successful games in this category only keep picking up steam, and it seems like Duelyst has already slowed down.

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

LordZoric posted:

I agree with everything you've expressed. It's pretty clear they're designing the game around eventually feeling forced to buy card packs just to get an edge. The balance isn't just with legendaries. I think my two most hated cards in the game are Shadow Nova and Spiral Technique. Shadow Nova drops a 4x4 area of Shadow Creep that deals damage equal to the amount of shadow creep on the board at the end of your turn, so it's effectively a 4+ damage AoE spell. Spiral Technique just does a flat 8 damage to an enemy of your choice (aka the enemy general!). Both cost 7 mana to play in a game where 9 is your absolute max, so it's essentially giving up your entire turn to play it. But yet, why wouldn't you play either of them? Both are devastating. Yet neither make for interesting plays, you're just going to hit the enemy general and call it a day. There's no interesting counter-play or hard decisions to be made with these spells. They're just "I Win" buttons. Even the Gauntlet has some issues with dealing out cards. Sometimes I've gotten really amazing picks, and sometimes I just get garbage. Even Lyonar isn't all that hot if you never draw any of their units, or worse, never see a single Divine Bond.

I said before this game is trying way to hard to be a Hearthstone-killer rather than trying to be its own thing, and I think it'll be its downfall. It got frustrating for me quickly once I got to around Rank 14 and whole games would be lost due to a Lady Locke hitting the board or something equally game-changing. I got the impression they were struggling with their playerbase because the beta up until now was less "closed" and more "PM the devs and they'll beg you to give beta keys to all your friends." I tried getting some friends to play, most said they already were playing Hearthstone (and buying its card packs) and didn't care to start another online CCG. I think that's going to be a lot of people's experiences. It's too bad, I really would've loved Duelyst in its original form of a ~20 dollar game where you got everything in one go.

I don't think the game is really forcing you to buy packs. If you play for only 40 minutes a day, it's not that hard to earn at least 200 gold netting you a couple of spirit orbs. When I found out about the game in March, I competed in a tournament a few weeks later against people with absolutely stacked decks who had been playing since December and I still got third place. This was before you could spend money on packs, so all of my cards were earned through just playing an hour or two a day.

Shadow Nova and Spiral Technique are annoying, but they're not very strong cards for their mana cost. In terms of direct general damage, Shadow Nova is probably the most cost inefficient card in the game when you first cast it, doing 4 damage for 7 mana. When you cast it again, it's still not very efficient dealing 8 damage for 7 mana. On a similar note, I agree that Spiral Technique is a brain dead finisher but for 7 mana, Songhai should be able to nearly one shot you from full health with the right cards anyway. There's definitely counter play for Shadow Nova in the form of Sunbloom and Lightbender, and if you're at 8 health against a Songhai, you should just assume you're dead even if they don't have Spiral Technique. I'm with you though, the redesign for Spiral Technique makes it very uninteresting.

With Gauntlet, even if you don't get great picks, you can still build a decent deck if you take into account your mana curve and make use of the combos you have available to you. People like to attribute bad randomized card selection and bad card draws as the biggest factor of whether or not you'll have success in Gauntlet, but player skill far outweighs both of those. I've gotten the absolute worst Gauntlet card selections but I've never ended a gauntlet run end on less than 6 wins. As far as Lyonar goes, half of my Lyonar decks don't even include Divine Bond anymore since it's more of a "win more" card.

The comparisons to Hearthstone are valid, but I really doubt that in itself will cause the game to fail. The game up until recently was in closed beta to closely control how many players entered the game. I wouldn't say they were really "struggling" with their playerbase since the devs have stated a few times that they didn't want to actively promote the game in such an unfinished state. I don't have any numbers, but it certainly feels like the activity on the various Duelyst community forums have doubled or tripled in the last week which is promising. I understand why they switched to a free-to-play model though as it's easily one one of the most sustainable and accessible models. The original business model that was advertised in the Kickstarter for Duelyst was pretty much Scrolls' business model, and you know that ended up despite it being made by the creator of the world's most successful indie game.

Honestly I think it's too early to tell whether or not this game will succeed. I actually do think some better marketing would help this game immensely. It's a really great game, and it would be kind of tragic if it fails because no one has heard of it.

Kronikle fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 27, 2015

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I don't really disagree with a lot of the points made above, but I do believe that new cards are on their way -- at the very least they're going to be doing 4 cards per month for the near future as ranking rewards (one of each rarity, first 3 rarities for silver, all four for gold and higher) and there's been some teaser art of new generals.

Also I keep getting destroyed by Mechazor decks, but drat if I'll start running lightbenders or crossbones for them :argh:

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

New cards added and basically given out for free if you played this month:

Souplesse
May 31, 2011

Gentlemoas.
Just hit Gold division, and I'm having a ton of fun running a pretty basic Songhai Backstab deck. This game scratches my grid-tactics itch with a healthy heaping of deckbuilding on top, and I can see myself playing this for quite a while...

...if there was a mobile client. I mean, the browser version works great (although it could use an extra-lovely quality option to play on toasters), but most of the time I've got to play is when I've only got my phone/tablet on me, and it doesn't play nice on those. For whatever reason, it renders at a larger res than my mobile browser, and I can't zoom out to something playable. I'm not even sure if touch inputs work properly. The game is clearly designed for mobile play (big tiles/sprites, minimal UI/resources, fast games), so is there an ETA on that?

Also, if any goons want to get in some practice, hit me up at: sixseconds! I play mostly Songhai and Abyssian (because I don't actually understand either tactics or card games).

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I love when the MM in this game buts you against someone you just lost to in Gauntlet. Super well designed.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Man it's super lovely what they did to their kickstarter backers. That said, I'm really having fun with the game. It copies hearthstone's model but seems way more generous with the dust costs and the drop rates for the rarer cards.

I've been playing for less than a week and I got ~10 legendaries.

[e] And unlike Scrolls it's really fast for a grid based game.

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness
Some friends and I got a little tired of Blizzards monetization model for Hearthstone, i'm tickled pink to see a viable alternative to it here.

My first impression leads me to believe that rare+ cards are very important to deck building, but spirit orbs seem to come in at an acceptable pace. It'll suck getting stomped by people who've invested a little more time (or money) than I have, but it seems like the problem will resolve itself with a little bit of time. Being playable right from the browser made it easy to get a couple of friends on board, too.

Looking forward to burning out on this card game in the coming weeks!

Zekky
Feb 27, 2013
This game is alright. I don't think it has significant longevity considering the F2P model they chose and how frustrating a lot of the cards are to play against. Creature combat and playing the board is quite fun but there are so many non-interactive cards that the gameplay suffers greatly IMO.

Urthor
Jul 28, 2014

Coming from a background of real physical cardboard TCGs, the business model whilst acquisitive bears really zero comparison to real life's purveyors of hardcore cardboard crack. If that model bothers you then so be it, but at the end of the day I feel like we're all adults and paying for your fun isn't a huge ask at the end of the day. The F2P model is still a lot more generous than Hearthstone's really.

Hit the tutorials, looks pretty amazing tbh. I'll see how deep the technical play gets, but I'll judge the game by the rank 5+ high legend count metagame, not the mid rank setup. Going to try and ramp up and go deep once finish these, but I'm confident enough in my abilities to go far, give or take a big break for Fallout.

If anyone wants to hmu and theory-oh out this game I'll be down for it, got no clue how to curve out a Magmar deck or anything at this point in time, and the decklists of the official forum, whilst neat, don't quite fill all the gaps.

Urthor fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Nov 7, 2015

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Can someone link a cheap competitive deck? I started playing a couple of days ago and apparently you get a free legendary for getting to rank 10. What is the face hunter/secret paladin equivalent for this game?

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Dang, this game's pretty fun, and the thread title did not lie, this is almost literally Hearthstone + tactics RPG.

Went through the tutorials and the available puzzles, played a few games online, then bought two packs and got a legendary! Which is amazing to me because I've been playing Hearthstone since it was public and have only ever received...two legendaries from packs?

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
I've been playing this for a couple months. It's a nice change of pace from Hearthstone but the power level of epics+legendaries is almost comical. You can't really make any good high-level deck without a couple of core high-rarity faction cards which are basically as follows:

Lyonar: holy immolation, arclyte regalia, sunriser (for heal variants)
Songhai: tusk boar, lantern fox, juxtaposition, mask of shadows, spiral technique
Magmar: silithid elder, metamorphosis, makantor warbeast, kujata
Vanar: voice of the wind, aspect of the mountain, spirit of the wild
Vetruvian: third wish, aymara healer, time maelstrom, rasha's curse, portal guardian, star's fury, wildfire ankh
Abyssian: spectral revenant, vorpal reaver, deathfire crescendo, soul grimwar, spectral blade

Keep an eye out for these cards.

If you want the list of super high tier decks, here: http://forums.duelyst.com/t/prozacs-tier-lists-decklists-drafting-guide-etc/20121

In terms of best factions for starting out, lyonar can make decent decks with just ironcliffes and divine bond and a bunch of medium sized creatures and abyssian can make weenie rush decks that can get you up to rank 0

Stay away from Vetruvian starting out, they are complete garbage without their good high-rarity cards which is basically all the good cards in the entire faction. Songhai is also pretty hard to elevate from mediocre to amazing because many of the important pieces for deck themes are relatively expensive. Magmar is okay without its good cards, it has so many removal spells that you can probably get pretty far just off the cheap ones. I'm not really sure about Vanar because I never see any common themes in low-rank decks, just a bunch of random cards thrown together that works I guess.

On the bright side, the last few patches have nerfed 2 of the most ubiquitous neutral legendaries so decks across the board have gotten cheaper.

koolkal fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Nov 12, 2015

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Also I browse their forums relatively often and they were offering kickstarter refunds at some point in the past apparently so you could try that if you really don't like the f2p part of it, no idea if there was some time limit or stipulations or anything

Arbitrary Number
Nov 10, 2012

Xad posted:

Dang, this game's pretty fun, and the thread title did not lie, this is almost literally Hearthstone + tactics RPG.

Went through the tutorials and the available puzzles, played a few games online, then bought two packs and got a legendary! Which is amazing to me because I've been playing Hearthstone since it was public and have only ever received...two legendaries from packs?

The droprate for legendaries is 1/5 compared to hearthstone's 1/20 but unlike hearthstone, you can put 3 of each legendary in your deck.

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

koolkal posted:

On the bright side, the last few patches have nerfed 2 of the most ubiquitous neutral legendaries so decks across the board have gotten cheaper.

I've been following the community reactions to these nerfs and they're so infuriating to read. Sundrop Elixir and Lady Locke were complained about relentlessly for months, so the devs slightly nerfed them and the reaction was outrageous.

"GREAT GOING DEVS YOU NERFED PERFECTLY FINE CARDS BUT LEFT BROKEN poo poo LIKE SARLAC UNTOUCHED"

Following that, there were threads every day from new players about how Abyssian is so OP and how Sarlac is just completely ruining games because of how powerful his effect is. So the devs increased Sarlac's cost by one and the community flipped the gently caress out again.

"WOW loving RETARD DEVS KILLING ABYSSIAN WHO WAS ALREADY WEAK WITH THIS UNNEEDED NERF"

I know it's like this for every game, but god drat. There's no pleasing anyone.

Kronikle fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Nov 13, 2015

Urthor
Jul 28, 2014

Game's absurdly tight atm anyway, there's not much either way. Magmar is pretty dominant because it's the best pricey deck and budget magmar is probably the best cheap one as well, but Leonar Abyssian Vetruvian and Songhai are all up there, it's just Songhai/Vetruvian don't scale from budget well.

They've already balanced the poo poo out of the game, it's way past the freeze mage period in Hearthstone and is pretty stable.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
This game is glorious and I'm glad it seems to be growing lately. The only complaint I have is that I can't decide on a faction to build into. Magmar is pretty awesome and the budget deck I'm running reminds me of mid-range decks in MTG but I usually always played control decks in Magic. What is the most pure control faction? Vanar? Vetruvian?

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
Let me tell you about playing low-level Songhai, or as i like to call it, "Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment."

Have you ever wanted to play a game where every time you get the enemy general to 10hp or less, your hand fills up with the wrong spells, the wrong minions, the wrong artifacts, for five turns in a row until you're dead? Play songhai with no real-money booster packs! do you want to lose seven ladder ranks struggling to hit faction level ten? Low level songhai! Hate gold and want to play for hours without touching any? Songhai, motherfucker.

I swear, if they just released this as a box set you could pay them $40 for to, guaranteed, have everything (plus a LAN mode for when they go broke and fold), i would buy it and physically threaten all my friends until they did too, but this grind to be able to PLAY the most tactically interesting factions is just killing my interest.

Ceebees fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Nov 16, 2015

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Ceebees posted:

Let me tell you about playing low-level Songhai, or as i like to call it, "Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment."

Have you ever wanted to play a game where every time you get the enemy general to 10hp or less, your hand fills up with the wrong spells, the wrong minions, the wrong artifacts, for five turns in a row until you're dead? Play songhai with no real-money booster packs! do you want to lose seven ladder ranks struggling to hit faction level ten? Low level songhai! Hate gold and want to play for hours without touching any? Songhai, motherfucker.

I swear, if they just released this as a box set you could pay them $40 for to, guaranteed, have everything (plus a LAN mode for when they go broke and fold), i would buy it and physically threaten all my friends until they did too, but this grind to be able to PLAY the most tactically interesting factions is just killing my interest.

Songhai is pretty much the most expensive faction to play. Either of their variants (burn or backstab) requires at least 9 legendary cards to really work well. Compare this to heal lyonar, which can get you to rank 5 without a single legendary (although they help). I still think Vertuvian in general is the weakest, and I hardly see any Vertuvian players at lower ranks, other than people grinding out dailies, and they are usually easy wins.

In terms of neutral cards, the two cards that heal (2/3 and the 4/4) are just too good right now. Almost every top tier deck except for Songhai has 2-3 of each in their deck. Being able to regain life is pretty much necessary vs. Lyonar and Magmar unless you can hit for 15+ all at once like Songhai. Abyssian can also hit for that much with their rush damage variant, which is pretty much the only way people play Abyssian at the lower tiers.

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

amazeballs posted:

This game is glorious and I'm glad it seems to be growing lately. The only complaint I have is that I can't decide on a faction to build into. Magmar is pretty awesome and the budget deck I'm running reminds me of mid-range decks in MTG but I usually always played control decks in Magic. What is the most pure control faction? Vanar? Vetruvian?

Magmar and Vetruvian tend to have the strongest control variants. I'd recommend you play all factions to level 11 to get a free spirit orb from each and then it should make deciding which faction to main easier.

Megasabin posted:

Songhai is pretty much the most expensive faction to play. Either of their variants (burn or backstab) requires at least 9 legendary cards to really work well. Compare this to heal lyonar, which can get you to rank 5 without a single legendary (although they help). I still think Vertuvian in general is the weakest, and I hardly see any Vertuvian players at lower ranks, other than people grinding out dailies, and they are usually easy wins.

In terms of neutral cards, the two cards that heal (2/3 and the 4/4) are just too good right now. Almost every top tier deck except for Songhai has 2-3 of each in their deck. Being able to regain life is pretty much necessary vs. Lyonar and Magmar unless you can hit for 15+ all at once like Songhai. Abyssian can also hit for that much with their rush damage variant, which is pretty much the only way people play Abyssian at the lower tiers.

Vetruvian is much more expensive of a faction to play. The only Songhai variant that actually requires legendaries is Backstab. Tusk Boar obviously could go well in any Songhai deck but it's not really required and Heaven's Eclipse is a very strong addition to certain decks. There's a few other variants you're missing though, Mechaz0r, Pinghai, and Combo all do not require any legendaries and they're all very strong. Songhai is a much more tactical faction than Lyonar or Magmar though, since card cycling and holding onto your hand to prevent becoming gassed is a huge part of playing them. It's one of the reasons I prefer more straightforward factions, because properly cycling your hand is actually very difficult but using card draws/replaces definitely help (Ancestral Divination, Mana Vortex, Aethermaster).

As far as Vetruvian goes, the cost of building competitive decks is what makes them appear weak. Most of their strong decks require Aymara Healer, Portal Guardian, Sarlac, Star's Fury, Wildfire Ankh, and Scion's Third Wish. Historically though, they've been pretty dominant in tournaments.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Kronikle posted:

Magmar and Vetruvian tend to have the strongest control variants. I'd recommend you play all factions to level 11 to get a free spirit orb from each and then it should make deciding which faction to main easier.

Vetruvian is much more expensive of a faction to play. The only Songhai variant that actually requires legendaries is Backstab. Tusk Boar obviously could go well in any Songhai deck but it's not really required and Heaven's Eclipse is a very strong addition to certain decks. There's a few other variants you're missing though, Mechaz0r, Pinghai, and Combo all do not require any legendaries and they're all very strong. Songhai is a much more tactical faction than Lyonar or Magmar though, since card cycling and holding onto your hand to prevent becoming gassed is a huge part of playing them. It's one of the reasons I prefer more straightforward factions, because properly cycling your hand is actually very difficult but using card draws/replaces definitely help (Ancestral Divination, Mana Vortex, Aethermaster).

As far as Vetruvian goes, the cost of building competitive decks is what makes them appear weak. Most of their strong decks require Aymara Healer, Portal Guardian, Sarlac, Star's Fury, Wildfire Ankh, and Scion's Third Wish. Historically though, they've been pretty dominant in tournaments.

You just don't have a competitive Songhai burn deck without Heaven's Eclipse and Eight Gates. You don't have a backstab deck without mask of shadows. Both variants benefit highly from Tusk Boar. On top of that both of those decks require a high amount of epic cards as well like Spiral Technique, Onyx Bear Seal, Juxtapose, etc.. to work. Even their Mechazor variant requires these cards to work as well or better than other Mechazor variants. Pinghai kind of sucks. Songhai is expensive as hell.

I've never seen Vertuvian place in the top 2 during the beta tournaments, but to be fair I haven't seen a recent one.

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

Megasabin posted:

You just don't have a competitive Songhai burn deck without Heaven's Eclipse and Eight Gates. You don't have a backstab deck without mask of shadows. Both variants benefit highly from Tusk Boar. On top of that both of those decks require a high amount of epic cards as well like Spiral Technique, Onyx Bear Seal, Juxtapose, etc.. to work. Even their Mechazor variant requires these cards to work as well or better than other Mechazor variants. Pinghai kind of sucks. Songhai is expensive as hell.

I've never seen Vertuvian place in the top 2 during the beta tournaments, but to be fair I haven't seen a recent one.

Eight Gates being required for burn decks is debatable, but even if it is a must-have, it still doesn't match how expensive a competitive top-tier Vetruvian deck is. My Mechaz0r deck doesn't use any of those epics (just I think Aethermaster and Lantern Fox) and the only legendary it runs is x3 Tusk Boar. Despite how cheap the deck is, it still plays very well at S-rank and has landed me 3rd place in a tournament.

If you want to compare tournament ready top-tier decks with any faction, you'll find that most of them require a ton of legendaries/epics to do well with. If you want to compare lower tiered budget decks, you'll find that Songhai is in an okay spot, especially if you play their combo variant (Chakri Avatar/Sword of Mechaz0r, Inner Focus, Killing Edge, Mana Vortex, Saberspine Seal, and Mist Dragon Seal go really well together).

Jasz won the King of the Beta IV tournament with Vetruvian and Atlanta won like 3 King of the Alpha tournaments in a row with Vetruvian. Most players can't really afford to play Vetruvian competitively so they appear significantly weaker on ladder without all their tools.

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster

7c Nickel posted:

The Factions

White People, White People, Monsters, White People, Monsters, White People

:edit: second group of white people even named after an African Empire. :lol:

Oh no

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

This game is fun. I've been ranking up with magmar control. There's a beta tournament this weekend, guess I'll get stomped or something idk.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Decided to try this out; I like the look of Vetruvian but apparently they're hard without cards so I guess I'm going Magmar until I accumulate cards. I played through all the Training Grounds stuff as far as I could, the tutorial and the first three challenge groups, and now have 195 gold. I guess I just spend this on "spirit orbs", then jump into ranked; is there anything I'm missing?

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Dec 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

Roland Jones posted:

Decided to try this out; I like the look of Vetruvian but apparently they're hard without cards so I guess I'm going Magmar until I accumulate cards. I played through all the Training Grounds stuff as far as I could, the tutorial and the first three challenge groups, and now have 195 gold. I guess I just spend this on "spirit orbs", then jump into ranked; is there anything I'm missing?

Nope. The card crafting system is pretty much identical to Hearthstone, except the crafting menu is somehow worse than Hearthstone's.

• Locked thread