Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

Avasculous posted:

Are there any others people know that I should look out for?
Transformation effects can't be dispelled -- this makes sense for wolves and so on, but Mark of Solitude's 5/5 transformation is also a transformation effect (the 'cant attack generals' is not, so if it does get dispelled, you get a 5/5 with no target restrictions).

Mind control effects also can't be dispelled. I think if you dispel a wall it's destroyed instantly, but I honestly can't think of a situation for me where that would've swung a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

[Edit: I had some other stuff here but I see what you're saying since the 5/5 portion of the card isn't listed as an effect.] A good way to tell if something is dispellable is if the unit shows that information if you mouse over them. Any time something is transformed, it's just a different unit. It doesn't say "X turned in to Y" or something. There are eggs and magma that say they WILL turn in to something and it's this effect you can dispel.

I'm pretty sure the only effect that is listed on a unit that cannot be dispelled is Stun. And stuff on Generals. Artifacts, Bonded Lifeforce, anything else I'm forgetting.

Unsmart fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 28, 2015

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
Dark Transformation, the Abyssian finger of death, will over-ride any respawn effects when it summons the Wraithling. For instance, using Dark Transformation on a sithilid prevents it from respawning as an egg because there is a wraithling there.

Note that it only stops things that will spawn a creature on the same spot. Something like a Jaxi spawns in a 1/1 in a different location, so that effect isn't prevented.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I tried this game and I can't really win hardly ever. I'm fairly poo poo at it. Still using starter decks and whatnot. It's kinda like magic combined with that hologram game from the Millennium Falcon. Weird. Kind of a poo poo game, though.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

vandalism posted:

I tried this game and I can't really win hardly ever. I'm fairly poo poo at it. Still using starter decks and whatnot. It's kinda like magic combined with that hologram game from the Millennium Falcon. Weird. Kind of a poo poo game, though.

This game borrows a lot of its card design from Hearthstone, so if you're played that you'll get a leg up on learning the relative worth of cards. A small difference is that because Generals always do 2 damage on attack and counter-attack, health is undervalued a bit, so where Hearthstone usually values attack and health equally in card cost, Duelyst budgets health a bit more cheaply on average as minions tend to lose health on every attack.

This is useless info if you haven't played Hearthstone though, of course, it just helped me a bit. Also yeah I'm not liking this game much at all, especially compared to Hearthstone. The only viable decks above the poo poo ranks require specific combos that can either wipe an entire board or kill the opponent from over half health, because every other deck can do the same. It's less about using tempo and controlling the board and more about holding specific cards in your hand until you can poo poo on your opponent without giving them a chance to react, so it's more solitary than competitive. Did you draw cards X Y Z first? You win. Did your opponent draw their cards A B C first? You lose. Good luck next time!

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist
Just started playing won my first 5 games in a row comfortably using the Magmar starter deck (that was good advice whoever suggested it). I did get a bit screwed on draws in my next two matches but that's part of the game. It probably didn't help that I was really aggressive and overly confident by this point. So far I have found its free to play model to be quite tolerable at least at this level. If I were to spend money is there a suggested purchase? like a pack or deal. Otherwise, I will probably just slowly build up my decks using dailies and first win of the day.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I literally made it to rank 5 playing starter decks and super budget decks. You should probably buy 15 or 40 packs if you plan on buying any, but it's not required at all.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Locke Dunnegan posted:

This is useless info if you haven't played Hearthstone though, of course, it just helped me a bit. Also yeah I'm not liking this game much at all, especially compared to Hearthstone. The only viable decks above the poo poo ranks require specific combos that can either wipe an entire board or kill the opponent from over half health, because every other deck can do the same. It's less about using tempo and controlling the board and more about holding specific cards in your hand until you can poo poo on your opponent without giving them a chance to react, so it's more solitary than competitive. Did you draw cards X Y Z first? You win. Did your opponent draw their cards A B C first? You lose. Good luck next time!

Pretty much my experience too when I played this for a bit. It's really quite the feat they managed to make a game less interactive than Hearthstone. All of the selling points it had going for how it's better seem completely undermined by the design of the whole thing. For example, do the devs of this game realize that grinding ladder being the main gameplay mode is one of the main reasons people usually quit Hearthstone? The more comparisons I make like that, the more it makes Hearthstone looks like a good game (which as a long-time Hearthstone player, I fully know it isn't.)

Also the graphics and presentation look like from a flash game compared to Hearthstone so there's that.

Dr. Video Games 0112 fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Dec 29, 2015

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

Also the graphics and presentation look like from a flash game compared to Hearthstone so there's that.

I'm not sure how you can compare fully animated sprites to static images. I think the graphics are fantastic.

There's definitely some balancing that needs to be done (it is in Beta after all), but overall it's a super fun game that's just different enough from Hearthstone to keep it fresh. The Gauntlet in particular is awesome, and I wish it was open for more than two days a week.

enthe0s
Oct 24, 2010

In another few hours, the sun will rise!

BigLeafyTree posted:

Deckbuilding-wise there's a few solutions in Crossbones, Ephemeral Shroud, and Lightbender. In general a lot of Mech decks play 12 Mechs, and Mechs aren't for the most part the best minions. Once Mechaz0r has been dropped it's okay to burn resources to take it out because they've usually burned through a bunch of cards themselves to drop him as quickly as possible, and still have a decent number of now even less impressive Mechs in their deck.

Sword of Mechazor is the only Mech that doesn't signal in huge flashing lights "I'm going for Mechaz0r!", so if you see any of the others start replacing for whatever you have that can deal with it. Helm especially is virtually unplayable outside a Mech deck and the biggest tell.

To add to this, I just learned that Magmar's Mana Burn also works because it targets the tile and not whatever is on top of it. Just another reason to play Magmar I guess :v:

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

I hope they go back and look at Rook at some point. He seems like such a classic "fun but not competitive card", but at 5 health he's just instantly blown up when he hits the board. I think at the very least he should have about 7 health -- having more reliably keywords would be nice, but I get that part of the appeal is getting keywords outside your faction when you play it.

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

yeah well that's just like your opinion, man

Locke Dunnegan posted:

I've been playing since March and I can tell what you're describing only applies to a very specific playstyle. The only time building specific OTK combos are more important than keeping a tempo advantage are when you're playing Lantern Fox/Chakri Avatar Songhai or Elucidator combo Magmar. Even then, those playstyles are incredibly risky because you're sacrificing complete control of the game in the hopes that you can draw the right cards. Pretty much every other top tier deck in the game relies on board control and tempo with win conditions dependent on better plays and the state of the board.

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

For example, do the devs of this game realize that grinding ladder being the main gameplay mode is one of the main reasons people usually quit Hearthstone?

Like other people have said, the game's still in beta. Before the game gets an official release (probably spring 2016 if I were to guess) they're gonna have replays, spectate mode, casual mode, AI practice mode, a mini-expansion, and multiple balance patches.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

RoboCicero posted:

I hope they go back and look at Rook at some point. He seems like such a classic "fun but not competitive card", but at 5 health he's just instantly blown up when he hits the board. I think at the very least he should have about 7 health -- having more reliably keywords would be nice, but I get that part of the appeal is getting keywords outside your faction when you play it.

I think the problem there is that what you get might not synergize with the deck you've planned out. Plus, there are plenty of 7 cost cards from each faction that I'd much rather get than Rook. I don't think the health inhibits him too much; I just don't think his ability keeps him in line with comparable cards.

That said, if he's the only 7 cost legendary you've got, he's not an awful choice, just like Paddo or Dark Nemesis (maybe Dark Nemesis is a little better, if only because it makes newbies poo poo their pants... I've poo poo my pants several times when it hit the table.)

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

December patch notes :toot:

quote:

SUN ELEMENTAL Common Neutral - 4 COST
Opening Gambit: Give two random friendly minions +2 Health.

PROPHET OF THE WHITE PALM Rare Neutral - 1 COST
Opening Gambit: Prevent ALL spell damage until your next turn.

ARAKI HEADHUNTER Epic Neutral - 2 COST
Whenever you summon a minion with Opening Gambit from your action bar, this minion gains +2 Attack.

KEEPER OF THE VALE Legendary Neutral - 5 COST
Opening Gambit: Summon a random friendly minion destroyed this game nearby this minion.

Magmar

Mana Burn - Text changed to "Deal 2 damage to each minion on or next to a mana tile."
Plasma Storm - Cost changed from 4 to 5.
Vetruvian

Scion's Third Wish - Text changed to "Give a friendly minion +3/+3, and Blast."
Cosmic Flesh - Cost changed from 4 to 2. Text changed to "Give a friendly minion +1/+3 and Provoke."
Star's Fury - Cost changed from 4 to 5.
Portal Guardian - Health reduced from 9 to 6.
Vanar

Chromatic Cold - Cost changed from 3 to 2. Text Changed to "Dispel a space. Deal 2 damage to the enemy minion or General on that space."
Lyonar

Tempest - Cost changed from 3 to 2. Damage dealt changed from 3 to 2.
Vanar got Mana Burn, Magmar's Mana Burn now a really weird opener play, I guess?
Pretty huge Vetruvian nerfs. Anyone able to give feedback on how this affects them? It seems like all the big combo pieces got the hammer.
Tempest going to 2 damage and 2 manage is pretty neat since 3 health is a pretty important breakpoint.

New cards aren't really jumping out at me and all of them just seem kind of weird. Prophet of the White Palm seems like a interesting way to block AoE from clearing your board, but a 1/1 is good for very little other than damaging artifacts. Araki Headhunter has 3 health, so it's going to die before it can act imo, and Keeper of the Vale seems like a nice card that will summon your favorite 2 mana drop that got killed on turn 2.

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

RoboCicero posted:

December patch notes :toot:

Vanar got Mana Burn, Magmar's Mana Burn now a really weird opener play, I guess?
Pretty huge Vetruvian nerfs. Anyone able to give feedback on how this affects them? It seems like all the big combo pieces got the hammer.
Tempest going to 2 damage and 2 manage is pretty neat since 3 health is a pretty important breakpoint.

New cards aren't really jumping out at me and all of them just seem kind of weird. Prophet of the White Palm seems like a interesting way to block AoE from clearing your board, but a 1/1 is good for very little other than damaging artifacts. Araki Headhunter has 3 health, so it's going to die before it can act imo, and Keeper of the Vale seems like a nice card that will summon your favorite 2 mana drop that got killed on turn 2.

Personally I think the change to Scion's Third Wish is awesome. It definitely is a step down in power from its previous form (I think everyone saw a nerf coming), but it makes positioning against Vet much more difficult. 90% of the time players would just line up to avoid Star's Fury because Blast was easy enough to see coming, but now you're just as likely to be blasted by a Scion's Third Wish buffed minion. It really fits the theme of the Scion spells as well. Can't wait to see it in action.

Also Araki Headhunter is going to be awesome in most aggro decks. Pair it with Flameblood Warlock or Primus Fist turn 1 (if you start on the right) and you've got some serious threats on the board right from the start.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
I predict 1/3 of games past rank 5 being songhai. They got an insane boost with these nerfs to basically every other good faction. Archon spellbinder is still such a strong tech against them though. The prophet card is interesting, could bring a more token aggro abyssian back into relevance along with araki.

koolkal fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Dec 30, 2015

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Keeper of the Vale would be neat in a super minion light deck so you could control exactly what you get back. It's a medium body for the cost and if you get an important body (a fat provoke, a rush minion you can use immediately, etc) it starts being pretty attractive. The other ones are... cool? The random health buff one is neat because there wasn't a neutral health buff outside of the somewhat niche Azurehorn Shaman. The opening gambit loving one has potential to be pretty nasty but it's probably going to vary a lot by faction, although it's pretty good with Mechs?

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Vet nerfs were seen coming but I wasnt expecting this many at once. Stars fury would have been fine at 4 with the changes to other cards IMO

But I play my stupid theft deck so it doesnt hurt me too bad.

Magmar going to have new difficulty with Mechazor now I guess.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

I don't really think so. Throw a Crossbones in to replace one of the Mana Burns you just dropped. Would be more worried about other... things.

I like the Tempest change. gently caress that card.

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

The tempest change could actually be considered a buff depending on who you ask. The change reflects what Tempest used to be in alpha and a lot of people complained that making it do 3 damage for 3 mana was a slight nerf because it killed Windblade Adepts and broke charges off of Arclyte Regalia.

zidane13
Jan 2, 2005

by Smythe
What's a good Abyss deck? I enjoy wasting my opponents time and making them kill themselves.

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene
I made a gigantic misplay against Kibler and almost certainly lost because of it :negative:

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

After playing around with it, new 3rd wish might be scarier than the old one.

Most factions have no good way deal with something like a jaxi played on the backrow followed up with a 3rd wish on it.

You can legit win games just with those 2 cards in your opening hand right now.

koolkal fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Dec 31, 2015

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
Yeah the general musings of the people on Discord agree with you. I don't play Vetruvian so I dusted the one third wish I had for that primo 900 dust. :getin:

Then again, if Discord chat is the authority every faction is terrible and nerfed now but every faction is super buffed and is OP now. :iiam:

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

MY faction was nerfed
YOUR faction has an unbeatable OP combo

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
Are they waiting until release to open the Gauntlet permanently? I usually only have time for a few games per day so trying to shove an entire run into one day is a lesson in futility.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

bvoid posted:

Are they waiting until release to open the Gauntlet permanently? I usually only have time for a few games per day so trying to shove an entire run into one day is a lesson in futility.

I have always wondered about this and decided to do some searching. Found this dev statement:

quote:

"The Gauntlet is currently open on Wednesdays and Saturdays. If you start a run one day and don't complete it, it will carry over to the next Gauntlet day and you can keep playing then.

Why is it limited to only 2 days per week? Quite simply, because we're still in Closed Beta. We need to make sure that the Gauntlet queue has a critical mass of players in order to keep it moving and get you matched relatively quickly. This "problem" (not really a problem, actually the result of purposely limited player pool for early-phase Closed Beta testing) will be fixed as we ramp up through Beta and into full release, and then we'll be able to have Gauntlet open every day. Thanks for your patience and help with our early Closed Beta testing!"

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

RoboCicero posted:

Keeper of the Vale seems like a nice card that will summon your favorite 2 mana drop that got killed on turn 2.

A 4/5 for 5 that only ever brings back a Jaxi or Primus Fist would be a pretty great card.

A 4/5 for 5 that randomly brings back anything from a Jaxi to a Silithar Elder feels fairly overpowered and obnoxiously swingy to boot.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
I have never watched a Duelyst tournament before but I'm giving it a shot. If anyone is interested here is the Twitch stream: http://www.twitch.tv/duelysttournaments

It's live right now and first round matches are just getting underway.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

Avasculous posted:

A 4/5 for 5 that only ever brings back a Jaxi or Primus Fist would be a pretty great card.

A 4/5 for 5 that randomly brings back anything from a Jaxi to a Silithar Elder feels fairly overpowered and obnoxiously swingy to boot.

Yeah it's a really strong card, probably 3x in most non-aggro/burn decks.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

keeper will be getting nerfed.

so will third wish

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
I feel like I'm Missing Something with Vanar. What's their deal? Straight control, except with zero draw? I keep running out of steam with them the instant I run out of clear spells in hand.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

Their removal isn't really amazing and you can't build decks around it, they're mostly support spells for some kind of minion based deck (aggro, midrange, maybe a slower midrange/control?). The 3 aspect spells are all decent offensively or defensively and hailstone is extremely good for keeping board control midgame but every vanar deck is going to rely on a lot of minions. Jaxi + warmaster + voice + keeper + ancient grove + razorgore is a pretty good curve of minions and a card like hailstone can kill your opponent's tempo if you send something like an Aymara or Ironcliffe back to hand.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

GreyPowerVan posted:

keeper will be getting nerfed.

no one card should possess so much value

J
Jun 10, 2001

Hey this game looks interesting. But I really like playing slow control decks that just try to eek out value plays all game and then win by playing a giant monster at the end or something. Is that kind of strategy at least semi-viable in this game and if it is, what faction?

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Yes, it is. You wanna try Lyonar, or perhaps Magmar. If you know anything about Hearthstone, Lyonar is basically the equivalent of druid - lots of fat dudes who force the other guy to attack them instead of your face, and an endgame finisher that lets you multiply your already massive attack power from a spell in-hand. I'm having a great time working a mid-range build with them, but it's quite viable to go real high on the curve with them.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
Hot Tech Tip: If you have a tablet, download Splashtop and stream this game from your PC. It was designed to be played with a touch screen, and it plays much better that way, in my opinion. The only annoying thing is, if you're streaming from a Windows 8+ machine, you have to press and hold for like two seconds to look at a card. Other than that, it's fantastic.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Yeah vanar is pretty aggro in general

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

SoggyGravy posted:

This >>IS<< Pox Nora no?

No secondary market though :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011
Fun game. I'm sure it'll end up being horrifically broken in as the game brushes towards competitive, though, like all strategy card games like this.

Still, in as Peeptopia. Is there an IRC, or is this thread it?

• Locked thread