Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

I passed this up at first but finally gave it a try and have really liked it. I'm mostly playing Vetruvian, seemingly against most recommendations since the best decks require rarer cards. I've been doing pretty well with a budget dervish deck though and am rank 12 so almost gold after a few days. Unfortunately I neglected to get all my factions up to 10 while I was in Bronze so just waiting till I hit gold to do that... probably will be painful.

Games against Songhai have been the most fun for me. I had one strange game where the other guy just stayed on his side of the board and I stayed on mine with my back to the edge and whittled him down with Blast minions. I also saw the card that turns one of your minions in to a panda thing that can't be attacked for the first time recently. If I gave that minion provoke (cosmic flesh) I assume it would override that? I see no particular value in doing it so it's mostly for curiosity sake that I ask.

Unfortunately the one day I didn't get to play was yesterday so no gauntlet tries yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Kronikle posted:

If you can, try to hit rank 10 before you experiment with other factions so that your rank won't fall any lower. They're adding practice AI into the game soon for you to level up your factions, but I don't know when exactly that'll be implemented. You can also level up your factions in Gauntlet which makes it a much more even playing field.

If you give the 0/2 Panndo Cosmic Flesh you can basically prevent all actions from any nearby enemy minions. It's a really fun interaction because the provoked enemies will have to attack the Panndo first, but the modifier makes him unable to be attacked so they're basically stuck.

Yeah hitting gold (10) was the plan since I saw you couldn't drop down tiers or whatever you want to call them. 2 wins to go, hitting some pretty high spirit decks now though I've still managed a fair amount of wins. Arclyte Regalia is pain :( I don't have Rasha's Curse yet.

And that's hilarious that that Panndo synergy works though it's a bit unlikely to happen that way. Right now though I do not mind at all getting hit with that card. It just means I have an annoying little mobile summoning platform to put scarabs and pyros all over the place. In a Songhai game today it basically negated the threat of the 3 Jaxis he was running because I had the near corners covered and could use it to make sure I could reach one far corner + cover the other corner.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Argggh. Really hitting the heavier players right now. Lots of 100-200 wins flags or whatever and decks filled with high rarity cards. I'm still managing wins but I've been seesawing on 11 all night. The rarest card I have in my Vet deck is a single Star Fury so it is an uphill struggle. I was thinking about putting together a cheesy Lyonar to just finish the rank since I seem to keep getting their rarer drops. It's especially bad because despite cycling my quests they've been stuck on "Play 4 games with x faction" but I really want to get to Gold first.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Yeah I've been getting to needing one more win then getting stomped by Immolation or a cheesy Magmar. I guess I'll see if I can make a functioning version of the things you mentioned without spending a bunch of spirit, thanks. I'd really like to make a third wish but yeah, expensive.

Ed: Put together a piecemeal Lyonar deck since I had two immolations anyway. Just moved across the board and summoned minions, 3 straight wins and I'm in gold.

Unsmart fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Dec 19, 2015

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Locke Dunnegan posted:

New player here, but Hearthstone veteran. Played three Gauntlets yesterday, went 1 win as Magmar twice and 3 as Abyssian, though one was from a DC.

Not a big fan of how splashy some of the cards are compared to Hearthstone's relatively tight card balance. Getting one-shot because someone pulled two Divine Bond, or getting some of my expensive minions cleared effortlessly because someone pulled the card that does 7 damage to only enemy minions when an easy trigger happens sure doesn't make me feel like I can win through skill. Every win felt like it was because they didn't happen to have some of the multitude of extremely powerful removal that I wasn't offered, and when I lost it was precisely because I would get 4-for-1 from one card that would have been nice to have myself.

Flooding the board sets me up to AoE of course, but only putting a few dudes out also just means some card combos steal or wipe 2-4 of those few minions anyway and I'm now losing. I know I will learn which factions can gently caress me over in which ways, but this game seems way more about memorizing every single card and playing specifically around every single possible combo than just going by general guidelines until I learn the game.

I've felt similar lately. I think a lot of it could be improved by tweaking mana costs of certain things since a lot of the time you'll get hit by certain removal and then they continue to put out 2 minions or whatever. But I also haven't been playing that long so idk. Current state of the game seems to encourage closing games out really quickly so maybe the issue is simply that most of my games go to 9 cores.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

[Edit: I had some other stuff here but I see what you're saying since the 5/5 portion of the card isn't listed as an effect.] A good way to tell if something is dispellable is if the unit shows that information if you mouse over them. Any time something is transformed, it's just a different unit. It doesn't say "X turned in to Y" or something. There are eggs and magma that say they WILL turn in to something and it's this effect you can dispel.

I'm pretty sure the only effect that is listed on a unit that cannot be dispelled is Stun. And stuff on Generals. Artifacts, Bonded Lifeforce, anything else I'm forgetting.

Unsmart fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 28, 2015

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

I don't really think so. Throw a Crossbones in to replace one of the Mana Burns you just dropped. Would be more worried about other... things.

I like the Tempest change. gently caress that card.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

orangelex44 posted:

Ugh, it's always so damned annoying to hit the "soft" paywall of free-to-play games - that point where you realize it's just Not Gonna Happen unless you invest tons of time or money. I was sailing through ranked with my Lyonar midrange deck just fine until level 12 or so, when suddenly everyone is running the "best value" cards, multiple Epics, and clearly netdecked builds. I'm still breaking even because the people at this level aren't especially great at actually playing the game, but I'm so close to gold and just can't get there...

I had the same experience bouncing up and down on 11 my first time. I posted about it pretty recently. Eventually I looked at what legendaries/epics I had gotten and put together a deck using them and managed to bust through. In my case it was a healonar with immolation and regalia. You might just want to look at what you've gotten and see what you can manage to put together because once you hit 10 the first time you can go back to playing what you want without worrying about it.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

koolkal posted:

If dreamgazer played the card when you replaced it, it would be insane. But it almost definitely just summons the minion based on its wording.

I don't think this changes what he's saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

bvoid posted:

It does. If the card isn't played when you replace it, it doesn't thin the deck unless you actually cast it, which is really bad for you (a vanilla 2/2 for 2 is trash).

I actually think the current wording makes the card more interesting. If the card was played when replaced, there would be almost no reason to hardcast it unless you were really low on life, since it's thinning your deck and giving you a lower chance of finding another one later in the game. In its current state, you'll have to think about hardcasting it in the midgame because of the potential for it to start flooding your hand.

EDIT: Also, do they plan on changing the sound that plays when you click on one of your units? They ripped that poo poo straight from Diablo.

It thins the deck in that any time you draw it you immediately replace it and can't get it again on the replace. It's like drawing something else. The way I read his post is taking this in to account, not that the card disappears. Granted you're using your replace this way every turn you draw it but all I'm talking about is what he meant, not the merit of the playstyle. Or he'll come back and say he didn't realize that and I'll feel dumb.

Anyway I haven't had much time to play this month so I just got around to trying to get at least gold for Jan. Was a lot easier than the first time. Main thing that made the difference I think is using replace much, much more. It's pretty rare there was a turn that I didn't replace and those are usually on turn one or two where I already got what I wanted to play from the 3 card mulligan and turn 1 draw. Before there was a lot of holding on to answer cards just in case and then not having other answer cards when I needed them. So yeah, use your replaces.

Unsmart fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 30, 2016

• Locked thread