Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene
I made a gigantic misplay against Kibler and almost certainly lost because of it :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene
Well, Jax is Vanar's best wincon, so that's going to cost you some games that other lists would win. I would probably prioritize crafting in this order:

+1 Jaxi (asap)
+1 Primus Fist
+3 Dancing Blades

Then start saving up for Jax.

With just basics I'd do something like:
-3 Twilight Sorc
-2 Loremaster
-3 Tiger
-2 Hearthsister

+3 Crystal Cloaker
+2 Snow Chaser
+1 Jaxi
+2 Mark of Solitude

GreyPowerVan posted:

go down to 2 razorbacks
The more I play Vanar the more I become convinced Razorback is their best faction card. I wouldn't cut it to 2.

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene
When I was playing a slower list with Keepers I had that happen a lot, but I've been playing this list recently:

You get a lot better early game board presence and Razorbacks allow you to trade that into good midgame control or just ending the game entirely.

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene
It's insane how much less fun this game is now. You're now making half the decisions you would be before.

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene

Megasabin posted:

Except before the decision every single turn was the same-- "How do I maintain or gain tempo", which involved one of two choices: "Can I get two creatures on the board or can I get 1 creature on the board + remove one/some of my opponents creatures". This wasn't exactly a hard decision.

Now that card advantage is a thing, you have to actually think about how and when to play cards. There is now a careful balancing act between showing restraint and holding on to a card vs. going all out to gain tempo. Balance it wrong, and you might get board wiped, and forced to top deck. Play it right, and you will gain a huge tempo swing over your opponent, likely far more than you could have in the old version of the game. In the same vein, board placement is even more important now, because losing 3 guys to AOE is going to be game losing, while placing that key minion in safety until he's ready to make his move can easily win you the game.

That's not to say it's all good. The big upside of having 2 card draw + Replace was that people were putting single counterplay/surprise cards into their decks, which made things very interesting. That aspect of the game is likely dead, as you can no longer reliably draw those cards.
Card advantage was absolutely crucial in previous patches, as it is in all card games. You still needed to show restraint to avoid playing into Holy Immolation or Makantor Warbeast. You still needed to place minions carefully to maximize their value. If you didn't, you lost to the people who were.

The major difference in this patch is that once I hit turn 4, I'm playing less spells and creatures than I would be in previous patches. Having less cards to play and minions on the board is removing choice and gameplay and it's a real shame that they took this path.

• Locked thread