Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
I feel like I'm Missing Something with Vanar. What's their deal? Straight control, except with zero draw? I keep running out of steam with them the instant I run out of clear spells in hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Yes, it is. You wanna try Lyonar, or perhaps Magmar. If you know anything about Hearthstone, Lyonar is basically the equivalent of druid - lots of fat dudes who force the other guy to attack them instead of your face, and an endgame finisher that lets you multiply your already massive attack power from a spell in-hand. I'm having a great time working a mid-range build with them, but it's quite viable to go real high on the curve with them.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Ugh, it's always so damned annoying to hit the "soft" paywall of free-to-play games - that point where you realize it's just Not Gonna Happen unless you invest tons of time or money. I was sailing through ranked with my Lyonar midrange deck just fine until level 12 or so, when suddenly everyone is running the "best value" cards, multiple Epics, and clearly netdecked builds. I'm still breaking even because the people at this level aren't especially great at actually playing the game, but I'm so close to gold and just can't get there...

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

...12? :raise:

My flailing-like-an-idiot Abyssian deck was on the brink of busting 10 last month, and I started sometime in December.

Keep mashing your face against daily quests (and gauntlet, the actual fun mode).

Yeah, I know, I thought 12 was a weird spot to stall out too, but that seems to be where everyone runs things like 3x Jaxi, 3x Keeper, and at least 2x Scary As gently caress Legendaries. I, of course, have exactly zero of all of those things at the moment. I get that's how these things work, but it's frustrating to go from "winning deck" to "lol nope" in the same night.

I'm actually not running a true Lyonar heal, I'm annoying in a different fashion by using something like 12 Provoke minions.

As far as Magmar goes, I have seen exactly zero Magmar decks in the past two days of routine play.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

GreyPowerVan posted:

Isn't jaxi a common?

I think so, yeah, which means you'd think it'd be easy to get. As Lyonar, I've got better things to craft than Jaxi, and since it hasn't dropped for me...

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Megaflare posted:

I had the same experience bouncing up and down on 11 my first time. I posted about it pretty recently. Eventually I looked at what legendaries/epics I had gotten and put together a deck using them and managed to bust through. In my case it was a healonar with immolation and regalia. You might just want to look at what you've gotten and see what you can manage to put together because once you hit 10 the first time you can go back to playing what you want without worrying about it.

I just played at a different time of day after adding jusssst a bit more healing to my mid-range Lyonar provoke deck, and it worked out. I also got lucky by only playing squishy aggro decks to accumulate a five game win streak, instead of the big-threat control decks that I was having trouble with. Still only running one legendary/epic, a lucky regalia drop that was my very first pack opening.

quote:

I wonder if they will ever expand upon the Golem and Arcanyst unit themes. I have a deck of each, but they aren't really viable. The arcanyst deck is hilarious if you can get the owl out, since all your units end up with 20+ health. He's really the only card that makes it a cohesive theme at all though. They could do a lot more. Maybe we'll see them both in the first expansion.

Arcanyst doesn't seem to really work out yet, but Golem decks are terrifying as hell (at least in silver/gold level). Big fat threats that are essentially immune to all soft removal (except Repulsors)? Opportunities to give them Provoke and get them out even cheaper? Scary.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
I loathe Tusk Boar so much. It's almost as awful as Keeper at this point. loving Songhai.

That is all.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Yeah, Songhai can do 8 direct spell damage with a single card - it's trivial for them to burst 15 damage, and not especially unlikely to burst 20+ - with an empty board. That is some scary poo poo right there. At least Abyssian usually needs a bit of board presence or multiple turns to burn you out. I play a cheap Lyonar midrange deck, which (despite a general lack of legendaries) should be at it's best against the burst/rush decks. I've got more than 25 points of healing in my deck, and still find myself consistently dead before turn 9.

The only thing that makes slower control decks competitive is Keeper, but a) that's a legendary I'm not going to spend money on, and b) it works just as well for Songhai to pull out their bullshit rush/return boar the turn after I was forced to spend 6 HP to kill the fucker.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
This motherfucker had four Dioltas in a Gauntlet game...

edit: like, what the gently caress do you even do with that? I actually kept it really close, we went to the end of our decks, but poo poo, I didn't even get a Legend draw.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
The forums, yeah. The subreddit has some decent input, too.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Chocobo posted:

Just started playing this game a few days ago, and there really is no going back to Hearthstone. The replacement mechanic alleviates a lot of the frustration of getting hosed by RNG, the bigger decks/card limits make for more interesting choices and customization wiggle room, and playing your units onto a board with actual positioning actually makes it feel like your decisions matter. Also, the units and spells are just loving bonkers compared to Hearthstone's. I love it.

I'm not really sure I understand why Gauntlet has such huge downtime though, probably my only major complaint about the game.

Their claim is that they want to make sure Gauntlet has a reasonable queue time in the beta. Once they leave beta and they (theoretically) have a large enough player base, they'll run it 24/7. The reason that's different from ranked ladder is because Gauntlet runs depend on gold, which is only attainable via gameplay. As a practical matter it takes 2-3 days of playing to be able to do a single Gauntlet run, so a continuously available Gauntlet would have a queue 2-3 times longer (at a minimum).

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Depends on the matchups you get. Lyonar(or anyone, really) gets a massive power boost from having Keeper; the Mage is a little less swingy, and more easily substituted IMO. It's certainly not impossible, and if you have the right strategy and composition to handle the rush meta that's going on right now, you're probably be able to get there with enough play time.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Hearthstone rules still apply, some asshat will simply have a better draft than you no matter what. However, there are a few things that can help. First, note that the Gauntlet deck is 30, not 40. That means you can get by with fewer copies of things but still have a decent chance to catch what you need in mulligan. Second, removal tends to be at a premium. This does a couple things; make sure that you prioritize removal unless the other option is really amazing, and more importantly, bigger minions are more valuable. Gauntlet curves tend to be more flat than the current mid-range ranked meta.

Otherwise, good cards are still good cards for the most part. My general rule of thumb is to take scary threats, hard removal, heals, dispel/push, and chaff in that order of priority. Try to curve out well, although going with stars and scrubs isn't terrible either. Combos are hard to catch, although I did play some dick that managed to have like seven Mechazor pieces played by turn 4, though.

Edit: don't tech out too much, though. Also, Golems are awesome in Gauntlet.

orangelex44 fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jan 27, 2016

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Avasculous posted:

It's really irritating to me that Hearthstone "drafting" has become the standard for digital CCGs. One of the biggest appeals of Magic drafting is that you're seeing almost 100% of the same pool of cards as everyone else. This makes it much rarer for you to get rolled by someone who flat out opened way more in-faction Epics/Legendaries than you, and it adds some intrinsic balance to the factions since there's fiercer competition for the faction cards that everyone knows are better. I also like having more than 3 cards to choose from and seeing the same booster more than once since I have a greater attention span than a goldfish.

In my day, ra-ra-ra, get off my lawn, etc. etc.

I guess? I dunno, it's kinda nice to see the variation in decks this way. It does suck to get the sort of run I had today, though: Magmar, but with no silithar of any type, no removal beyond a single dispel, a single legendary (where the best option was the 4 eggs one) - and to top it off, I didn't get the opportunity to draft more than four minions of cost 3 or less. It... went poorly for me. Drafts like that make me wish you could have a once-a-day deck mulligan, because as I was working my way through I could tell instantly that it was going to be an unavoidable pile of poo poo and a waste of my day to play out.

I suppose it'd be nice if at least part of the draft was guaranteed. Perhaps if every deck was locked into the same number of legendaries, epics, spells and class cards? There's still a ton of variance to get screwed, but at least you don't have the megadecks that have more legendaries/epics than commons, or a run where you have zero spells, or the person who lucked into thirty class cards. Or perhaps give everyone 15 identical cards to start from, then random the other half?

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
There's some decent advice both in the official forums and the subreddit, but here's my personal rules of thumb:

- spells + artifacts should be roughly a third of the deck, i.e. 12-15 cards.

- especially compared to Hearthstone, low-cost minions dominate. If you have more than 3-4 6+ minions, you're probably doing it wrong. Conversely, it's good to aim for 9-11 2-drops. Curve to fit those end points.

- the quality increase from 4-cost to 5-cost is probably the largest. Lots of scary poo poo lives in the five slot, plan accordingly.

- removal is a Huge Deal. You'll need at minimum six cards of hard removal/direct damage, and you'll probably want three dispels/pushes on top of that.

- of the common techs, card draw is probably the least useful. Not a typo, this isn't Hearthstone.

- most decks include some healing; both Healing Mystics and the green dude whose name I forget are solid stats for cost, you'll probably want to include a full set of one of the them.

- AOE is good. Even "bad" AOE like Tempest is still usually worth having, especially on early ranks. However, don't go too overboard, since it's value varies drastically against some classes.

- class cards are, generally, better than the alternatives. The exceptions are usually super obvious.

- don't be afraid to run some one-ofs or two-ofs. You get lots of draws and mulligans, and sacrificing a few chances to get your techs is OK if you replace them with scary threats. At low levels, if the other guy is occupied removing your stuff you will probably win.

- there is only one neutral rush minion. It's very useful in a lot of decks,

- tech-to-threat ratios can vary wildly. I try to keep non-spell techs to less than 8 minions unless it's part of a combo (for instance, Healyonar). Others will likely have other opinions.

Edit: Note that these are only suggestions; plenty of S-rank decks bend or break this advice and do quite well. Start with using these rules, then tweak to fit, then tweak again as the competition improves.

orangelex44 fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 29, 2016

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Tin Tim posted:

Say what? Warsurge has been nice on my weenies and paves the way for a bigger drop. I'd consider dropping one though to at least try using the Sundrop. I wasn't super hot on decimate, but hey it's legendary aoe so I just crammed it in there. Tempest, while appearing less situational, doesn't seem like very good aoe either. But I'll switch it in and see after trying Decimate a few times.

Oh, and I acttually disentchanted the three legends I mentioned to craft my staple cards. I checked around the web and they were listed as okay to break. Speaking of legends, is this game generous with the droprate or am I just a filthy luck haver? Cause I got like nine of the things after three days of playing

War Surge is fine, it's just against meta right now, and for what you get there are some spells that stack up better. Since you're a bit low on the curve for a typical Lyonar, it's pretty workable in your setup I think. Most people would probably drop the Lysians and the Lions to carry another Ironcliffe, 7-drop legend, and not-Lysian 4-drop, but test this out for a while first. Sundrop is definitely worth having 2x in general; the other cheap option is Tempest, which is either totally useless or a game-saver. Decimate is, as Avasculous mentioned, really situational - although if having one is probably justifiable. If you go Tempest you'll need at least two, though.

Legends drop pretty regularly; my unofficial gut feel is that you can expect to get one every five packs or so? Others might have better, more official numbers.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Duck and Cover posted:

This game is so strange it's like my actions actually matter and I have to actually decide on what the best play is.

Yeah, it's a pretty striking difference from Hearthstone, where your optimal options are always a) face or b) whatever costs your current mana. There's a lot of room here to both gently caress up a sure thing and win from behind, plus there's (currently) very little bullshit stuff like Reno.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
It is the worst feeling when you forget that Second Suns are Zeal and miss out on lethal because of it. Arena, man... my luck is so poo poo. Still no Legends today either.

edit: and lost #3. Pretty sure this guy had five Azurite Lions and no non-Lyonar minions. gently caress me.

double edit: like goddamn seriously, this guy had all loving class cards. 3x dispel, 3x ironcliffes, a couple Rejuvenators, some Martyrs, just so much bullshit. It was basically a ranked deck build. I still can't believe his luck.

orangelex44 fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jan 31, 2016

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
It's not too hard to get to level 10 staying F2P, but after that you'll likely have to grind for a month and build up cards before you can work past that. Drops are pretty generous, so if you're willing to be patient F2P is totally viable - the only frustration is that once you reach a tier, you can't drop below it so you'll reach a point where everyone has better decks than you and you'll be stuck there. That being said, I bought $40 worth just because I enjoy the game and have spent enough time on it to support the devs.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Astral Crusader is a cool idea, and decently strong, but with the current rush/burn meta too hard to get rolling. Games just don't last long enough to get him going properly.

There's a couple other high-cost legends that I'd rank above it. Pandora and Red Synja at a minimum, probably Zurael and the Spellbinder as well. However, AC is good enough IMO to keep instead of disenchant, and like you said he's probably a good pauper option.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Control Volume posted:

I've only been playing a little bit but tinkering with Vetruvian I've discovered that obelisks are awful and in the rare instance they don't get dispelled or moved to a corner of the battlefield immediately, it'll just whacked for free, sometimes in the form of an Abyssian general summoning a fiend or a recoilless frenzy attack. I've gotten an actual useful dervish summoned like twice on my trudge to level 11 and I've had exactly one game where the enemy was able to get a useful dervish against me, for exactly one turn after he had already had a winning board state.

Being able to force out a dispel or removal is pretty useful, though - especially for Vetruvian, who has tons of fun toys you'd like to keep alive in the later turns. I have to consciously remind myself *not* to instantly waste a card on them more often than not.

That being said, there's a lot of competition for quality two drops, and the three-drop obelisks are both in an awkward cost slot and also have dubiously useful extra effects. The +1 health one is especially trash unless you go all-in on dervishes. I think obelisks don't get used because there are better value options, not because they're outright terrible. I've dicked around with the "dervish special", and if I had all the cards I want to add I think it could compete through gold, at least.

Edit: and yeah, Magmar can suck a fat one because it's by far my worst matchup against my beloved Lyonar. No one should have better value minions than me! It's just not right...

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Male Man posted:

It wouldn't be a hearthstone derivative without bewildering secret rules.

You want bewildering secret rules? Here's a couple I've found, asked about on their official forums, and immediately been told I'm an idiot for not realizing these completely obvious facets of the game:

The Vanar spell that turns a minion to 5/5, cannot attack generals? Well, if you dispel it, it doesn't change the 5/5, but DOES let that minion attack generals. So don't dispel that 5/5 Healing Mystic who's damaged to 5/2 in the hopes that it will die like EVERY OTHER loving BUFF IN THE GAME.

Some creatures are not "minions", but rather "tokens". Like, for instance, eggs - so things like Keeper of the Vale cannot bring them back, since they only work on "minions". So no, that awesome Zurael value play you set up will not give you a single damned creature on the board because they were actually egged by that Magmar rear end in a top hat first.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Hello, moron here, but what is DoC, exactly? I tried Googling "DoC game" and apparently there is a "Doc McStuffins" on Disney Junior which a) sounds hilariously inappropriate and b) is *probably* not what you guys mean.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Yeah, I agree that the effectiveness curve is a little screwed right now. 2 and 5 drops are just so much better than everything else (although partially that's because I main Lyonar, but I'm pretty sure that holds true for everyone). 3 drops are very skewed towards tech only, 4 drops seem to be universally Emerald Rejuvenators, and going above 5 is too much of a risk/reward since you can't afford to cast a spell while dropping two minions.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

koolkal posted:

Silverguard Knight is like the 2nd best 3-drop in the game and extremely strong

But there's really not much past that yeah, I don't even know what the 3rd best 3-drop would be

Yeah, I know, but that's the thing - there's nothing else worth bothering with in the 3-drop. It takes one of the absolute best options to even consider playing it.

edit for spelling

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Also, you know what's fun? The loving Songhai who drops two boars on turn 1, that's real loving fun.

edit: like, seriously, that class is so loving toxic, because it's the only one where there's Nothing You Can Do. If they draw nuts, you're dead instantly.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

GreyPowerVan posted:

have you considered not running straight ahead like an idiot against songhai, because tusk boar is a card.

So you give up all three of the extra mana? That's not really a winning play either. If you go first, you get to play one minion to his (probably) two, then another single minion (with no removal, mind you) to his potential three. Granted, he won't actually have five minions to play his first two turns, but giving Songhai free rein to drop spells an buff dudes isn't a great option. By the time you can out-value him, you're already down by 15-20 health. Now, if you get to go second, the math changes and you get more flexibility - going first is a HUGE disadvantage against Songhai.

Now, a Songhai that doesn't get his draw is hosed, plain an simple - but pure luck in drawing shouldn't be the deciding factor in every single game for a class.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
The problem isn't so much that the 3-drops suck on their own; the problem is a) they compete with 2-drops, many of which are a better value for cost, and b) they're an awkward cost to play. At the beginning of the game, neither player typically actually has three mana on their three mana turn because of the bonus tiles. You don't want to drop it on the four mana turn because it's wasteful (and usually better to 2-drop and spell, or double 2-drop), and it's pretty commonly agreed that the five mana slot is where minion power really spikes so you definitely don't want to play it then.

Think of the value 2-drops; neutrals alone have three extremely good tech options (mystic, dispel, artifact killer - not including the new play-on-replace one that is probably good), while each class has one or two extremely solid minions of that value as well. Not to mention the Ultimate Value Choice, Jaxi.

Look at how insanely good the 3-drops have to be before people consider them: Fenrir is a 3/3 that spawns a 3/3 on death and literally no one argues it's OP, since no one gives a poo poo about 3-drops. Silverguard is a 3/5 Provoke, Portal Guardian has 6 HP AND Frenzy AND buffs itself for free. Vindicator gives Rush to other minions. These are all, undoubtedly, total bullshit cards - but it's the 2/2 spawning a 1/1 ranged that everyone bitches about, solely because it's a two mana drop and thus can be played early, efficiently, and often. Four drops almost have it worse, since only half the factions give a poo poo about their 4-drops (Vanar, Magmar, Abyssian) and the only decent neutral options are Twilight Sorc, the Rejuvenator, and Tracer. Somehow the four drops are all less bullshit than the three drops (although Twilight Sorc tries it's very best to make up for that). Compare to the plethora of playable options from neutrals alone in the 5 slot, and, well...

(note: I only used the wiki to double-check myself here, if I missed a card or two I apologize, I'm not sure if it's fully up to date)

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Surprised the poo poo out of a dude on ladder tonight with this beauty:

It's not exactly how I'd prefer, but I'm not going out of my way to craft some of the more... esoteric cards involved. I'd ditch both Arclyte Regalia for more Skywind Glaives, and toss the Lionheart Blessings for another Sentinel and a Brawler. Holy Immolation would obviously be nice too, and Lady Locke is a natural fit as well. Hell, Black Locust would be a real fun toy to throw in, as long as I'm wishing.

It worked amazingly well, if only because by mid-Silver no one is expecting bullshit like this to pop up from Lyonar.

orangelex44 fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Feb 4, 2016

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Control Volume posted:

Oh okay through sheer dumb fuckin luck I now have three twilight sorcerers, what's a fun spell-heavy faction that can abuse these?

Basically all of them. Songhai does the most direct damage with spells, but every faction has extremely powerful utility and clearing spells that you'd love to re-use.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
All three of those are good, at least situationally. For Magmar specifically, Jax is the weakest, but looking at Duelyst overall, Red Synja is typically not seen very often. That said, your best option is probably not to junk any of those three, and instead either a) trash a couple weaker epics instead, or b) be patient for another week and get a few more options to choose from, you'll get a lovely legendary eventually.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Eh, you'd rather have Juxtapose I think.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Scion's Third Wish is so broken. Combined with Twilight Sorc and Alcuin Loremaster, having infinite +3/+3 and Blast for 3 mana is just dumb.

That being said, I made it to Gold, so it's dick around time since I don't feel like grinding to Legend. Anyone got any fun deck ideas? My Lyonar zoo trash deck actually has a few wins at level 10.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
I'd say Magmar and Vanar are both pretty close. Lyonar has issues if you don't draft your "solution" cards, but both Vanar and Magmar have tons of control options and scary minions, with comparatively few "poor" choices. The other three classes have too much demand for synergy, although Vetruvian does well if they get a Third Wish.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
So, reason number 854 why I hate Songhai: dude just did 20 damage to me on turn 4. Played second, Dagger Kiri dropped turn 3, followed by: move, move and hit, rejuvenate, give +4/+2, give +3 for the turn, hit, and hit to win the game. Oh, and he also killed my defending 3/5 Provoke for shits and giggles too. Their burst is insane enough, letting them have Tusk Boar to take early board control too is broken. Granted, this dude drew basically the exact combo he needed from the start (he dropped a Boar and a couple Heartseekers on the way), but I think it's a problem to have a class that you literally cannot beat if they draw right. Tusk Boar needs to cost 3.

edit: and on the deck above, looks fun! Getting the Elyx is nice, I still haven't got one yet. 15 spells is a tad high IMO, I'd probably drop a Sundrop and maybe an Immolation in favor of a couple 3-drops. Tigers are a popular option, but I actually have a pretty high regard for Arclyte Sentinels too. The Lions are unorthodox too; for a Lyonar Divine Bond setup Healing Mystics are probably a bit better (and give you more flexibility to drop the Emerald Rejuvenators if you want). That said, they're a real fun card and the Celerity minions for Lyonar deserve more play time. Twilight Sorcs are obviously fantastic, but you may want to tech a Silhouette Tracer until you can flesh out the legendaries/epics - it has a nice statline for Lyonar and can help when you've been walled. As far as what to get next, I agree the Sorcs are a good choice, but I'd actually go second Regalia before your fifth Keeper - getting two of them stacked is really, really hard to deal with, and getting 4 attack on your general is A Big Deal.

orangelex44 fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Feb 8, 2016

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Zurael's good, don't trash it. The current meta is too fast for it, but in a couple more seasons that'll doubtlessly change and Zurael will once again be the massive late-game tempo changer it deserves to be.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Avasculous posted:

I didn't 100% follow the play-by-play, but it sounds like you ended your turn 4 with your general in move-attack range of an unanswered Dagger Kiri and his general. There's nothing Songhai about the well-deserved beatdown that followed- Lyonar could literally burst you even harder with a single card (Divine Bond) in that situation, and Abyssian and Vetruvian could get up there with a couple of their own buffs.

I would be a lot more sympathetic towards this story if it included Inner Focus, because if there's anything silly about Songhai right now, it's their ongoing ability to, with the right combination of cards, do massive burst damage out of hand.

And Tusk Boar. Which is stupidly good, but I'm not convinced it's stupidly gooder than Third Wish, Holy Immolation, Fenrir Warmaster, or any other hallmark faction cards.

You misunderstand: he moved once, moved again to get into range to hit for two, then inner focused and buffed the fucker to hell before hitting me two more times for exactly the damage he needed (so a total of three hits and four moves off one minion). So yes, all but 2 damage was essentially out-of-hand. I know that a Kiri left unanswered is Bad News, but sometimes you just don't draw your hard removal early - and the Boars he played earlier meant that I couldn't even cobble together a minion wall to delay, because Songhai he instantly bought himself full board control. 8 health is a real problem to deal with turn 3.

Third Wish I agree is probably equally bullshit since you can essentially concede if it drops turn 2 and you have no answer, but both TW and TB are in a whole different league than the Fenrir or Immolation. The latter are really loving annoying, but are essentially still tempo plays that you can recover from. TW is instant, large, unavoidable, and non-retaliable damage that can be played without board control. TB is broken less because of what it is than what it costs. 3/3 rush that HAS to be answered because otherwise it returns to be replayed is far beyond the other equal cost minions for effective value. The minimum outcome from a boar play is to remove a 2-drop and do 3 damage to the enemy general when he removes it (or remove a minion then burn an enemy spell) - that doesn't sound so bad, but it's already at the premium value for a 2-drop. But that's a minimum outcome. The typical outcome either takes up a mana node, or gets buffed to removes something bigger, or returns to hand, or allows a backstab minion to get summoned beyond the range you'd expect (to get immediately Focused), or... well, you get the point. Rush is an extremely powerful ability, and for every other case is valued as such. Look at the how many stats the "Rush" tag costs for Magmar class cards, or even the 3/2 for 3 neutral versus other 3-drops... but Tusk Boar is somehow given higher stats that a normal card of it's value? I call shenanigans!

In non-bitching commentary, I really enjoy the non-meta Lyonar cards. Magnetize is really good! War Cry is also good! The Air Drop card is... not exactly good, no, but I'll pay 1 mana to draw a card/thin my deck late game. Celerity is a fun tag, but definitely is only good when you're already in a winning (or at least board-dominant) position - the 4-drop 4/4 is just not a great stat distribution. The 5/12 "this becomes your general" legendary is pretty trash but it's certainly entertaining to play the Air Drop card, drop that fucker in a far corner, then suicide into the nearest minion when the other guy left you at 3 health.

Magnetize, though, has won me games despite me using it exclusively in a derpy zoo deck with no quality removal. I'm almost convinced to slot it into my mid-range deck I use to power to Gold every month. It can both fix Lyonar's poo poo mobility and also help remove annoying poo poo like ranged minions or Provokes. War Cry is another "win more" card, although against the right decks (Vanar mostly) is can turn around a midgame real nice.

I do think there's good potential for an effective low-cost minion Lyonar deck. I don't have the cards/spirit to craft one yet, but Lady Locke would be a 3-of, along with a couple Zuraels. Put some of the usual Lyonar suspects in (Martyrdom, a couple Sun Drops, dispel, Ironcliffe), toss in a War Cry or two and maybe the "+2/+0 to surrounding minions" artifact, and play to have a half-dozen annoyingly buffed dudes out at all times...

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
My biggest advice with Gauntlet? Don't get frustrated when you had a bad draft. Every now and again you'll get a no-Legendary draft, or one with minimal removal, or no 2-drop minions. It happens - accept your 2-win run and play for the next Gauntlet day. First win of the day + quests gets you, at minimum, half a Gauntlet ticket every day for anywhere from only 1 to 8 games, and you should average on the low end of that if you aggressively mulligan the faction quests.

Even a "poor" Gauntlet draft can end up doing surprisingly well if the matchups go right. Keeping to the basics of "decent curve, removal, and at least a couple Scary Threats" gives you even odds to get to the extra drop at 4 wins. And, yes, know all the factions' removal, since basically everyone you play probably knows how vital removal is too.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Yeah, it's a good game. Like any online CCG, the net decking is real once you hit the higher play tiers but if you're content to play for fun instead of super mega rank there are plenty of entertaining options to run with that are competitive through level 10 or so. The way the game is constructed right now, free drops are pretty generous. If you're the type that doesn't mind losing value from deconstructing and then constructing cards, you can get basically any deck you'd like from ~1 month of play time - and if you prefer to keep everything you get, you should have every common, most rares, and a competitively playable amount of epics/legendaries after 2 months.

Duelyst does have more room for skill than some of it's competitors (*cough* Hearthstone *cough*), so even at the higher levels a good player can consistently beat a good deck. At some point you do kinda just have to recognize and give up on some "funny but lovely" cards, but as a general rule all the classes are competitive and have 2-3 realistic deck archetypes to compete with in the top tiers. Not all those options get played regularly because of prevailing meta, but that's not so much because those other decks aren't good but because when a skilled player can get a 60% win rate with one deck and a 75% win rate with another, the rank-is-best competitive types will go for the latter even though both decks are winning decks.

At the lower levels you can play with basically total poo poo and still wreck people so long as you understand board positioning, mana economy, card replacement, and endgame conditions. The player base has expanded a lot in the last couple months, so this may no longer be true, but in December it was quite possible to reach mid-Silver using strictly the starter decks with the basic cards.

To Vanar deck guy, I don't play enough Vanar (yet) to judge. However, I had the same issue you did my first month where it seemed like I hit a wall around level 12-13; for me, it ended up not being a wall so much as random variance, and after walking away for a few days I came back with the exact same deck and got through the last couple levels in a single win streak. Patience is key; also, try playing at a different time of day, since player quality can be much, much higher during non-peak hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

The worst submarine posted:

Mage Magmar is terrifying and stupid, all at once. If you manage to get a turn 2 chrysalis burst, then you have an okay chance to win. If you don't, the game devolves into cat-and-mouse as you attempt to remove any threats they have while setting up for a chrysalis burst or value owlbeast plays. You win or lose based almost entirely off what eggs you can hatch. What else should I add or take out?

I think I played this deck! Are you hanging around mid-Gold tier? I'm slogging my way to Plat with a mid Lyonar build. This looks fun to hilariously lose with.

Tin Tim posted:

Well met :razz:

Right, time for another deck chat. I made several changes since the last post so let's look at them

2 drops: Sadly, the lions had to go. I still stand by my statement about the strategic depth that they can add to a faction that's so slow, but the problem is that they'll not get to do that on average. I experimented with cutting a lion and a jaxi for 2 mystics, but it again didn't provide that much use. Like, outside from the few times where the double move allowed a clever play, the lions just aren't worth it. So yeah, static value triumphed over possible strategic value. I can see them doing work in an aggro deck with surge, but not in a control list. Rip immolation carry strat, you were too niche for this meta.

3 drops: I went back to tripple knights and got rid of the sentinels I ran briefly. Thing is, while they do provide some useful utility and lower the curve, their bodies are too weak for this style of deck. And tbh, their removal use can also be done by spells or board trades so I'm not sad about letting them go. As with the lions, I feel they are better suited for aggro where you can also use their gambit on your own stuff for greater effect.

4 drops: Nothing special here. The maidens got dropped for the two sorcerers, and I added a third emerald. I found that the extra heal is pretty much needed against aggro abyss and songhai anything. It's a little less crucial against Vanar, but still a good way to last until you've worn them out because your provokes aren't reliable plays.

5 drops: Nothing changed here, because why would it with cards like these????

6 drop: Elyx is still there, but tbh he's kinda just a replacement for archon spellbinder until I can get one. Yes, the additional big provoke drop in my list is nice when people only plan around 3 guardians, but the stats on archon are so drat good. I could be persuaded to run elyx and a spellbinder, but I'd need to cut a card for that first. Probably a regalia and I'll ellaborate why next.

Artifacts: I added another regalia because the card is kinda bonkers and sometimes wins a game by itself. However, despite all of its power, I've grown a tad iffy on the card. Like, it's a pretty slow play in a tempo heavy meta and that's bad. There are plenty of board states where it's basically just a way to trade away some hostile minions for 4 mana and x cost in life. A doable play when your deck is made for the distance, but not exactly a good one since you opponent also adds more cards to the board while he runs his old poo poo into you. And it's also bound to your general so it has no use against things that aren't in your reach. But for now, the extra tanking and damage is something that my deck can use so it stays. But as I said in the previous lines, I'd cut it for spellbinder or even a third keeper/twillight. In the end, I would probably cut both to fit those other cards because 3rd wish decks poo poo on it so hard. But as with the lions and sentinels, I can see this card being a lovely way to push face in a lyonar smorc deck.

Spells: Not much changed here, but I started to run one decimate. I realize that this card is controversial and clunky, but it is a direct tech against 3rd wish. Vet players often get real cocky after they play the wish and pressure you with their general. Well, get decimated rear end in a top hat. And of course, even if they don't, their blast minion usually chills out in the back and isn't next to their general. People also don't consciously play around decimate most of the time, so it's possible to grab some value in almost any matchup. And it also counters Mechazor which seems a little less common right now but it's still a thing. But take note, your own general counts for the card so hostile minions next to you will not die. And I only run one copy since the card is narrow, and any player with half a brain will not play into it again if it has been used once already. But on the flipside they might play into immolation when they think you run more than one decimate! And lastly, I settled on a single bond because more is kind of a waste. Like, the sole use of the card is to get lethal, and since I play for the distance it's fine to burry it in the deck. Also I feel that when I have to use bond for board control, then I'm in a game that's very likely lost so why bother with more copies?

The future: As stated before, spellbinders and another keeper/sorcerer are on my crafting sheet. It'll probably take a while until I can get another legend, but the sorc is doable and will likely replace a regalia real soon. I also feel that the body and spell recycle does the most for my deck as of now. Other than that, I don't really know what else the deck could use so go nuts if you have ideas. I haven't used this list for a serious push into diamond as of now, but will do so on the weekend.

IMO you have too much healing. 3x Emerald, 3x Sundrop AND 3x Mystics is overkill. I'd drop a Sundrop and an Emerald in favor of a Regalia and Twilight Sorc. Don't underestimate the value of stacked Regalias, I advocate 3x of them solely for that purpose. I would also suggest either adding or dropping a Divine Bond. Having two puts you into OTK range much easier, while having one isn't consistent enough to add more value than, say, another Keeper (or maybe another dispel?). Lyonar midrange is a blast to play right now, since the meta is so fast.

• Locked thread