Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

yeah well that's just like your opinion, man

What is Duelyst?

Duelyst is a tactical collectable card game played on a grid. It's got the simple card based gameplay of Hearthstone mixed with the tactical positioning based gameplay of Final Fantasy Tactics. You make a deck with 40 cards and battle against another shmuck's 40 card deck. You can play minions, spells, or equip artifacts at the cost of mana, a resource that increases every turn. If you understand Hearthstone, you'll understand this game. The main thing that separates this game and makes it cooler than Hearthstone is the grid based positioning of your units and the severely reduced reliance on RNG. Games typically only last 5-10 minutes making it one of the quicker card games on the market.

Open Beta Launch Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xn5P4NPgpU

How to start playing

If you want to get started, you can download the game's client here: https://updates.counterplay.co/launcher or download the game through Steam. If you're running into issues you can use the web client if you have Chrome: http://play.duelyst.com/.

What's new?

In April 2016 the game changed the draw mechanics to now only draw 1 card at the end of each turn instead of 2. Additionally you now start each game with a 5 card hand and can replace 2 at the start. A couple weeks later a second patch came out that introduced Bloodborn Spells. At turns 3, 5, and 7 and every subsequent turn afterwards your general will have a 1 mana ability they can spend. There's now 12 generals in the game, two for each faction, and each of them have their own unique abilities. You unlocked these alternate generals by hitting level 10 with a faction. There's also boss battles, general skins, and a few expansions.

The Factions (shamelessly stolen from the official forums)

Lyonar - Lyonar uses lots of Provokes and high health Minions to focus on having massive presence on the battlefield. When playing as Lyonar, your goal is to amass a large, sturdy army to beat your opponent down. You can make use of Lyonar’s excellent healing abilities to keep your Minions and General alive. To finish your opponent off, you can use cards like Divine Bond to turn your Minions’ Health into damage to deal lots of damage in one Attack, or Skywind Glaives and other Zeal effects to turn your nearby Minions into powerhouse Attackers. Recommended for beginners.

Big rear end death ball faction. Their most popular playstyle revolves around air dropping high health giants on the battlefield (Ironcliffe Guardian) and then Divine Bonding them the next turn for the kill. This faction has a frustrating amount of provokes and heals to play against as well as really powerful AOE nukes. This is the faction where around 5 or 6 mana you NEED to kill their high health units before you end your turn otherwise you risk getting your poo poo stomped into the curb next turn. A very slow and defensive faction but still super strong.

Songhai - As Songhai, you can be very mobile and aggressive. You have lots of combos and synergy between your spells and units. You can use your superior mobility to outmaneuver your opponent’s Minions, preferring to avoid threats rather than facing them head-on. Spells like Mist Walking allow you to get in and out quickly, and put you in prime position to Backstab your opponents. Spells like Mist Dragon Seal allow you to teleport your Minions across the battlefield to make a hasty escape or a sneaky entrance.

The "ARE YOU loving SERIOUS HOW DID I DIE IN ONE TURN I WAS AT FULL loving HEALTH" faction. These guys are masters at one-turn kills if you can cycle the right cards into your hand. They play differently from other factions in the sense that positioning tends to mean jack poo poo to them. They can nuke you from range or move their units anywhere on the battlefield with the right spells. You also need to be a lot more conservative with what cards you play since you're constantly trying to build up your hand for your kill combo. Their current most popular variant is a spell based ping deck utilizing Four Winds Magi and Lantern Foxes. They have really lovely minion removal and absolutely no heals, so play these guys if you want to go all-in or if you want to feel like a dirty cheating rear end in a top hat.

Vetruvian - As Vetruvian, you are focused around using creatures with low base stats that have powerful special effects. You can also swarm your opponent with small creatures and buff them while drawing lots of cards. Using debuffs, you are able to weaken opposing Minions, reducing their Attack or mobility. You are most comfortable at range, controlling the ‘zone’ where your opponent can safely move. One single misstep can spell disaster against you, as your spells are often based on the position of your enemies on the battlefield. You can generate Dervish tokens with your spells and Minions and buff these Dervishes to gain a huge advantage in battle.

The magical space mummy faction that's surprisingly really hard to describe. They've got weak creatures but pretty much all of them have really cool poo poo they can do. Like Aymara Healer a 5/5 with provoke who, when killed, does 5 damage to the enemy general and heals you for 5. Or Portal Guardian, the 0/6 giant that gains attack every time you summon new creatures on the battlefield. Or the Obelisks which summon 2/2 tokens every turn they're out. Or the Pyromancer which hits every enemy in one direction simultaneously from a safe distance. The downside to this is that dispel really shuts down this faction.

Abyssian - As Abyssian, you excel at removing big threats and can generate many small Minions, while also having great late game threats. Deathwatch can power up your Minions, deal damage while healing you, or generate Wraithlings. Wraithlings are 1/1 tokens that can be used as sacrifices for powerful spells and cause more deaths on the battlefield to fuel Deathwatch effects. Additionally, you boast a wide range of removal spells and area control. Although you are high on damage and battlefield control, your creatures are not very efficient.

The hot-topic mall goth faction. Abyssian is the faction which focuses on death and swarming the battlefield with little minions. Abyssian has insane synergy between their cards. You summon a swarm of wraithlings and they start sacrificing themselves to kill the enemy's minions. Depending on what cards you have, every time one of them dies, your other creatures get stronger, you damage the enemy general, and you heal yourself. They have tons of instant removal options as well as having quite a lot of direct damage spells. They also can employ shadow creep decks which cover the battlefield in deadly zones that damage enemies who stand in it. They're one of the most well rounded factions, but they are severely neutered if you can clear out their minions every turn.

Magmar - As Magmar you are big, slow, and powerful. Once you reach your opponent, your enormous Minions and mighty Artifacts can deal massive damage! You can slowly take over the battlefield as your opponent runs out of space to retreat by using Grow Minions. You’ll quickly end your opponent's life in melee range by using Rush and Frenzy Minions along with Artifacts. Your removal is great, with lots of Area-of-Effect and Dispel. Recommended for New Players.

They have gigantic creatures which grow stronger every turn, powerful artifacts, and excellent healing. A lot of their minions will turn into an egg when they die and hatch back to full health next turn if the egg survives. Magmar also has the most amount of Frenzy units which will attack everything in range. With the changes to Mana Burn they lack the strong removal options they once had, but Egg Morph, Metamorphosis, Natural Selection, and Plasma Storm still give them a lot of options. They can be somewhat slow and their cards have high mana costs, but they also have an answer to just about everything. One interesting thing about them is that their removal is often times very situational. If you want to climb the ladder on a budget, this is your faction.

Vanar - When playing as Vanar, you want to use the battlefield and Minion blocking to your advantage. You excel at forcing your opponent into bad positions. You can trap your opponent using Walls and other Minions, eventually overwhelming them with massive battlefield presence. Superior removal gives you the ability to neutralize all sorts of threats. Using Vespyr Minion summons, you can trigger lots of different synergistic effects focused around keeping the battlefield clear of threats and buffing your Minions. You can Transform ANY minion on the battlefield to your advantage. Force your opponents to choose whether they get hit by Infiltrate Minions on their starting side or Avalanche on yours!

It's hard to summarize this faction because they can do so many god drat things but they mostly specialize in maintaining a tempo lead. Their minions have a lot of sticking power and synergize with each other through creature sub-type buffs. This faction can create walls around the map to box your enemy in and they have really powerful transformation spells that can be used to buff your weak creatures or neuter enemy ones. They're not too expensive to play, and are generally a very solid pick for new players.

Game Modes

Solo Challenges - These are single player "kill the enemy general in one turn" puzzles. It's basically a continuation of the tutorial, but it gets very challenging towards the end and it's actually quite rewarding.

Ranked Ladder - The standard game mode. You go head to head against an opponent and try to beat the snot out of him. Winning and losing affects your rank but there are safety nets if you lose. Once you hit rank 20, rank 10, rank 5, and rank 0, you cannot fall below those ranks again until the season resets at the start of the next month. Depending on how well you do each season you will be rewarded with new cards, gold, and spirit to craft new cards.

Gauntlet - This game's rendition of Arena or draft mode. You draft a 30 card deck from a selection of 3 randomized cards at a time and face off against other players until you either reach the win cap or you lose 3 times. The better your score, the better the rewards you get. It costs 150 gold to enter the arena but you will always earn at least 1 spirit orb when you finish. At higher ranks (7+ wins), you can earn free Gauntlet tickets to eventually go infinite.

AI Practice - Single player practice mode against the AI. These games will earn you faction XP up until level 10 which makes it perfect for unlocking basic cards and the alternate generals.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What's the best faction?
A: Kind of a cop out answer but there really is none. They're all good and they've all been seen at high levels of tournament play consistently. If one faction is out of the meta for a time, bimonthly patches and expansions usually can bring them back in. The easiest factions to do well with as a beginner are probably Lyonar or Magmar though.

Q: What cards should I disenchant?
A: If you're trying to fill your collection, I'd recommend you only disenchant cards that you have more than 3 copies of (the "Disenchant Extras" button does that for you). Some free-to-play players prefer to disenchant all the cards of certain factions so they can craft their favorite other faction's cards easier. I'm personally not a fan of that, but it is technically a viable way of making a top tier deck fairly quickly. There are plenty of cards though that are nearly worthless so a quick google search can find you disenchanting guides.

Q: What are the colors in the center of my cards mean?
A:They correspond to the card's rarity. White = common, blue = rare, purple = epic, orange = legendary.

Q: What's this poo poo about spirit and crafting?
A: If you disenchant a card, you permanently remove it from your collection in exchange for spirit which can be used to craft any card in the game. You get back only a fraction of the spirit it costs to make a card when you disenchant it so think carefully before you decide to axe cards left and right.

Q: Is this game pay-to-win?
A: The dreaded question every free-to-play game gets. This game is insanely generous compared to Hearthstone. With that said, if you buy a lot of packs, you're going to have an easier time starting out than someone who doesn't as a lot of legendary cards can be game changing and frustrating to deal with as a new player. I wouldn't say this makes the game pay-to-win though, as getting fully optimized decks in this game is actually pretty painless if you're free-to-play. With daily quests, first win of the day bonuses, solo challenges, 3 win gold bonuses, and hidden achievements, earning gold in this game is pretty fast. With light to moderate playing you can easily get a pack or two a day.

General Tips
  • It is much easier for your opponent to move or destroy your minions than your General. This means that your General is almost always the best blocker to keep your minions alive.
  • As a rule of thumb, any creature below 3 health can be easily killed by your opponent's General, who has 2 attack. Make sure to keep these minions away from danger.
  • When playing aggressively, be sure to block your opponent's escape path using your Minions. When you've got complete control, you can box in your opponent's General by surrounding them on all four sides.
  • Try to spend as much Mana as possible each turn. The Mana you don't spend in a turn won't be refunded to you.
  • Removal is king in this game. Pack your decks with lots of dispels, displacements, and kill spells.
  • Try to get into the habit of replacing 1 card at the beginning of your turn every turn.

Useful Resources

Kronikle fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jul 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

LordZoric posted:

I really want to like this game, but I'm finding the f2p model very grating.

Just curious, what do you find grating about it? For reference, it basically has the same f2p model as Hearthstone but you acquire gold at least twice as fast and your chances of getting an epic or legendary card are two to four times better, making it actually manageable for a free player.

Sofia Coppola_OD_ posted:

its got cool ideas and ok art but it seems slow and not the best and my opponents always disconnect

The turns aren't always lightning fast, but you draw 2 cards at the end of your turn and can always replace one card each turn. It makes for a lot of deck consistency and allows you to end games in 5-10 minutes on average. That's weird that you're encountering disconnecting opponents. I usually only ever meet an opponent who disconnects on me maybe 1 in every 15 games?

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

LordZoric posted:

I agree with everything you've expressed. It's pretty clear they're designing the game around eventually feeling forced to buy card packs just to get an edge. The balance isn't just with legendaries. I think my two most hated cards in the game are Shadow Nova and Spiral Technique. Shadow Nova drops a 4x4 area of Shadow Creep that deals damage equal to the amount of shadow creep on the board at the end of your turn, so it's effectively a 4+ damage AoE spell. Spiral Technique just does a flat 8 damage to an enemy of your choice (aka the enemy general!). Both cost 7 mana to play in a game where 9 is your absolute max, so it's essentially giving up your entire turn to play it. But yet, why wouldn't you play either of them? Both are devastating. Yet neither make for interesting plays, you're just going to hit the enemy general and call it a day. There's no interesting counter-play or hard decisions to be made with these spells. They're just "I Win" buttons. Even the Gauntlet has some issues with dealing out cards. Sometimes I've gotten really amazing picks, and sometimes I just get garbage. Even Lyonar isn't all that hot if you never draw any of their units, or worse, never see a single Divine Bond.

I said before this game is trying way to hard to be a Hearthstone-killer rather than trying to be its own thing, and I think it'll be its downfall. It got frustrating for me quickly once I got to around Rank 14 and whole games would be lost due to a Lady Locke hitting the board or something equally game-changing. I got the impression they were struggling with their playerbase because the beta up until now was less "closed" and more "PM the devs and they'll beg you to give beta keys to all your friends." I tried getting some friends to play, most said they already were playing Hearthstone (and buying its card packs) and didn't care to start another online CCG. I think that's going to be a lot of people's experiences. It's too bad, I really would've loved Duelyst in its original form of a ~20 dollar game where you got everything in one go.

I don't think the game is really forcing you to buy packs. If you play for only 40 minutes a day, it's not that hard to earn at least 200 gold netting you a couple of spirit orbs. When I found out about the game in March, I competed in a tournament a few weeks later against people with absolutely stacked decks who had been playing since December and I still got third place. This was before you could spend money on packs, so all of my cards were earned through just playing an hour or two a day.

Shadow Nova and Spiral Technique are annoying, but they're not very strong cards for their mana cost. In terms of direct general damage, Shadow Nova is probably the most cost inefficient card in the game when you first cast it, doing 4 damage for 7 mana. When you cast it again, it's still not very efficient dealing 8 damage for 7 mana. On a similar note, I agree that Spiral Technique is a brain dead finisher but for 7 mana, Songhai should be able to nearly one shot you from full health with the right cards anyway. There's definitely counter play for Shadow Nova in the form of Sunbloom and Lightbender, and if you're at 8 health against a Songhai, you should just assume you're dead even if they don't have Spiral Technique. I'm with you though, the redesign for Spiral Technique makes it very uninteresting.

With Gauntlet, even if you don't get great picks, you can still build a decent deck if you take into account your mana curve and make use of the combos you have available to you. People like to attribute bad randomized card selection and bad card draws as the biggest factor of whether or not you'll have success in Gauntlet, but player skill far outweighs both of those. I've gotten the absolute worst Gauntlet card selections but I've never ended a gauntlet run end on less than 6 wins. As far as Lyonar goes, half of my Lyonar decks don't even include Divine Bond anymore since it's more of a "win more" card.

The comparisons to Hearthstone are valid, but I really doubt that in itself will cause the game to fail. The game up until recently was in closed beta to closely control how many players entered the game. I wouldn't say they were really "struggling" with their playerbase since the devs have stated a few times that they didn't want to actively promote the game in such an unfinished state. I don't have any numbers, but it certainly feels like the activity on the various Duelyst community forums have doubled or tripled in the last week which is promising. I understand why they switched to a free-to-play model though as it's easily one one of the most sustainable and accessible models. The original business model that was advertised in the Kickstarter for Duelyst was pretty much Scrolls' business model, and you know that ended up despite it being made by the creator of the world's most successful indie game.

Honestly I think it's too early to tell whether or not this game will succeed. I actually do think some better marketing would help this game immensely. It's a really great game, and it would be kind of tragic if it fails because no one has heard of it.

Kronikle fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 27, 2015

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

New cards added and basically given out for free if you played this month:

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

koolkal posted:

On the bright side, the last few patches have nerfed 2 of the most ubiquitous neutral legendaries so decks across the board have gotten cheaper.

I've been following the community reactions to these nerfs and they're so infuriating to read. Sundrop Elixir and Lady Locke were complained about relentlessly for months, so the devs slightly nerfed them and the reaction was outrageous.

"GREAT GOING DEVS YOU NERFED PERFECTLY FINE CARDS BUT LEFT BROKEN poo poo LIKE SARLAC UNTOUCHED"

Following that, there were threads every day from new players about how Abyssian is so OP and how Sarlac is just completely ruining games because of how powerful his effect is. So the devs increased Sarlac's cost by one and the community flipped the gently caress out again.

"WOW loving RETARD DEVS KILLING ABYSSIAN WHO WAS ALREADY WEAK WITH THIS UNNEEDED NERF"

I know it's like this for every game, but god drat. There's no pleasing anyone.

Kronikle fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Nov 13, 2015

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

amazeballs posted:

This game is glorious and I'm glad it seems to be growing lately. The only complaint I have is that I can't decide on a faction to build into. Magmar is pretty awesome and the budget deck I'm running reminds me of mid-range decks in MTG but I usually always played control decks in Magic. What is the most pure control faction? Vanar? Vetruvian?

Magmar and Vetruvian tend to have the strongest control variants. I'd recommend you play all factions to level 11 to get a free spirit orb from each and then it should make deciding which faction to main easier.

Megasabin posted:

Songhai is pretty much the most expensive faction to play. Either of their variants (burn or backstab) requires at least 9 legendary cards to really work well. Compare this to heal lyonar, which can get you to rank 5 without a single legendary (although they help). I still think Vertuvian in general is the weakest, and I hardly see any Vertuvian players at lower ranks, other than people grinding out dailies, and they are usually easy wins.

In terms of neutral cards, the two cards that heal (2/3 and the 4/4) are just too good right now. Almost every top tier deck except for Songhai has 2-3 of each in their deck. Being able to regain life is pretty much necessary vs. Lyonar and Magmar unless you can hit for 15+ all at once like Songhai. Abyssian can also hit for that much with their rush damage variant, which is pretty much the only way people play Abyssian at the lower tiers.

Vetruvian is much more expensive of a faction to play. The only Songhai variant that actually requires legendaries is Backstab. Tusk Boar obviously could go well in any Songhai deck but it's not really required and Heaven's Eclipse is a very strong addition to certain decks. There's a few other variants you're missing though, Mechaz0r, Pinghai, and Combo all do not require any legendaries and they're all very strong. Songhai is a much more tactical faction than Lyonar or Magmar though, since card cycling and holding onto your hand to prevent becoming gassed is a huge part of playing them. It's one of the reasons I prefer more straightforward factions, because properly cycling your hand is actually very difficult but using card draws/replaces definitely help (Ancestral Divination, Mana Vortex, Aethermaster).

As far as Vetruvian goes, the cost of building competitive decks is what makes them appear weak. Most of their strong decks require Aymara Healer, Portal Guardian, Sarlac, Star's Fury, Wildfire Ankh, and Scion's Third Wish. Historically though, they've been pretty dominant in tournaments.

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

Megasabin posted:

You just don't have a competitive Songhai burn deck without Heaven's Eclipse and Eight Gates. You don't have a backstab deck without mask of shadows. Both variants benefit highly from Tusk Boar. On top of that both of those decks require a high amount of epic cards as well like Spiral Technique, Onyx Bear Seal, Juxtapose, etc.. to work. Even their Mechazor variant requires these cards to work as well or better than other Mechazor variants. Pinghai kind of sucks. Songhai is expensive as hell.

I've never seen Vertuvian place in the top 2 during the beta tournaments, but to be fair I haven't seen a recent one.

Eight Gates being required for burn decks is debatable, but even if it is a must-have, it still doesn't match how expensive a competitive top-tier Vetruvian deck is. My Mechaz0r deck doesn't use any of those epics (just I think Aethermaster and Lantern Fox) and the only legendary it runs is x3 Tusk Boar. Despite how cheap the deck is, it still plays very well at S-rank and has landed me 3rd place in a tournament.

If you want to compare tournament ready top-tier decks with any faction, you'll find that most of them require a ton of legendaries/epics to do well with. If you want to compare lower tiered budget decks, you'll find that Songhai is in an okay spot, especially if you play their combo variant (Chakri Avatar/Sword of Mechaz0r, Inner Focus, Killing Edge, Mana Vortex, Saberspine Seal, and Mist Dragon Seal go really well together).

Jasz won the King of the Beta IV tournament with Vetruvian and Atlanta won like 3 King of the Alpha tournaments in a row with Vetruvian. Most players can't really afford to play Vetruvian competitively so they appear significantly weaker on ladder without all their tools.

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

Yeah as you get more experience you'll start to recognize where each faction has insane threats. Like with Lyonar, for example, you never want to let a high health minion stick around near you before you end your turn. Storm Kage isn't what people would call a competitive legendary, but you can make some fun combos around him.

I've never personally encountered bots, but some people do that to get through their quests when they have a faction they don't like. It's a pretty lame way to play tbh.

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

Megasabin posted:

Can you post your S-rank Songhai deck? I'm bored of my Lyonar heal deck that I use to blow through the ranks.

Basically this deck has 3 win conditions:

1. Mechaz0r
2. Lantern Fox OTK
3. Mask of Shadows Backstab

The Mask of Shadows are a recent addition and entirely optional. They can be replaced with Rock Pulverizers and the Mist Walkings can be replaced with Bloodrage Mask or Chakri Avatar. Your most important card is going to be Sword of Mechaz0r as he with Mist Dragon Seal and Saberspine Seal can clear boards. The Tusk Boars are always welcome in any Songhai deck, but Saberspine tigers can be put in there if you don't have them. I'm considering maybe trying Mogwai instead of Aethermaster (edit: on second thought Aethermaster is almost always better). The playstyle is super fluid because of all the different win conditions you have available.

Kronikle fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Dec 3, 2015

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

Phoix posted:

I haven't played since a few months ago but Gauntlet still feels like pick Magmar or don't play at all. They just generate way too much value in a limited environment.

edit: The rare match you get vs non-Magmar is pretty fun, though.

Vanar, Lyonar, and to some extent Abyssian also do really well in Gauntlet. It's mostly just Vetruvian and Songhai that you don't want to play.

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

Megaflare posted:

I passed this up at first but finally gave it a try and have really liked it. I'm mostly playing Vetruvian, seemingly against most recommendations since the best decks require rarer cards. I've been doing pretty well with a budget dervish deck though and am rank 12 so almost gold after a few days. Unfortunately I neglected to get all my factions up to 10 while I was in Bronze so just waiting till I hit gold to do that... probably will be painful.

Games against Songhai have been the most fun for me. I had one strange game where the other guy just stayed on his side of the board and I stayed on mine with my back to the edge and whittled him down with Blast minions. I also saw the card that turns one of your minions in to a panda thing that can't be attacked for the first time recently. If I gave that minion provoke (cosmic flesh) I assume it would override that? I see no particular value in doing it so it's mostly for curiosity sake that I ask.

Unfortunately the one day I didn't get to play was yesterday so no gauntlet tries yet.

If you can, try to hit rank 10 before you experiment with other factions so that your rank won't fall any lower. They're adding practice AI into the game soon for you to level up your factions, but I don't know when exactly that'll be implemented. You can also level up your factions in Gauntlet which makes it a much more even playing field.

If you give the 0/2 Panndo Cosmic Flesh you can basically prevent all actions from any nearby enemy minions. It's a really fun interaction because the provoked enemies will have to attack the Panndo first, but the modifier makes him unable to be attacked so they're basically stuck.

quote:

e: Is there a list of neutral staples to enchant? Like in Hearthstone there's Azure Drake and Knife Juggler. What are their equivalents in Duelyst?

Emerald Rejuvinator, Healing Mystic, Dancing Blades, and Primus Fist go well in pretty much any deck.

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

poo poo how could I forget Jaxi? Yeah you can fit 3 Jaxi in just about any deck. That dude's ridiculous.

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

The one copy of Primordial Gazer seems weird too. Is there a reason why he's in there?

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

GreyPowerVan posted:

I just stuck him in there as a forth 'greater fortitude'. That's the slot I would swap over to a crossbones if I saw a lot of mechaz0r decks.

I know the card is not commonly played, but if you're going for lots of minion buffs through Greater Fortitude, Primordial Gazer, and Diretide Frenzy, consider putting in Phalanxars. They make for a really oppressive turn 1 opening if you're starting on the right side and buff them with Greater Fortitude immediately.

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

Locke Dunnegan posted:

This is useless info if you haven't played Hearthstone though, of course, it just helped me a bit. Also yeah I'm not liking this game much at all, especially compared to Hearthstone. The only viable decks above the poo poo ranks require specific combos that can either wipe an entire board or kill the opponent from over half health, because every other deck can do the same. It's less about using tempo and controlling the board and more about holding specific cards in your hand until you can poo poo on your opponent without giving them a chance to react, so it's more solitary than competitive. Did you draw cards X Y Z first? You win. Did your opponent draw their cards A B C first? You lose. Good luck next time!

I've been playing since March and I can tell what you're describing only applies to a very specific playstyle. The only time building specific OTK combos are more important than keeping a tempo advantage are when you're playing Lantern Fox/Chakri Avatar Songhai or Elucidator combo Magmar. Even then, those playstyles are incredibly risky because you're sacrificing complete control of the game in the hopes that you can draw the right cards. Pretty much every other top tier deck in the game relies on board control and tempo with win conditions dependent on better plays and the state of the board.

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

For example, do the devs of this game realize that grinding ladder being the main gameplay mode is one of the main reasons people usually quit Hearthstone?

Like other people have said, the game's still in beta. Before the game gets an official release (probably spring 2016 if I were to guess) they're gonna have replays, spectate mode, casual mode, AI practice mode, a mini-expansion, and multiple balance patches.

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

RoboCicero posted:

December patch notes :toot:

Vanar got Mana Burn, Magmar's Mana Burn now a really weird opener play, I guess?
Pretty huge Vetruvian nerfs. Anyone able to give feedback on how this affects them? It seems like all the big combo pieces got the hammer.
Tempest going to 2 damage and 2 manage is pretty neat since 3 health is a pretty important breakpoint.

New cards aren't really jumping out at me and all of them just seem kind of weird. Prophet of the White Palm seems like a interesting way to block AoE from clearing your board, but a 1/1 is good for very little other than damaging artifacts. Araki Headhunter has 3 health, so it's going to die before it can act imo, and Keeper of the Vale seems like a nice card that will summon your favorite 2 mana drop that got killed on turn 2.

Personally I think the change to Scion's Third Wish is awesome. It definitely is a step down in power from its previous form (I think everyone saw a nerf coming), but it makes positioning against Vet much more difficult. 90% of the time players would just line up to avoid Star's Fury because Blast was easy enough to see coming, but now you're just as likely to be blasted by a Scion's Third Wish buffed minion. It really fits the theme of the Scion spells as well. Can't wait to see it in action.

Also Araki Headhunter is going to be awesome in most aggro decks. Pair it with Flameblood Warlock or Primus Fist turn 1 (if you start on the right) and you've got some serious threats on the board right from the start.

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

The tempest change could actually be considered a buff depending on who you ask. The change reflects what Tempest used to be in alpha and a lot of people complained that making it do 3 damage for 3 mana was a slight nerf because it killed Windblade Adepts and broke charges off of Arclyte Regalia.

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I can't bring myself to disenchant my 2x Pandora / 1x Dark Nemesis because they're very adequate capstones for... uh, everybody. Too bad about that "the field still needs to be remotely contested at turn 7" thing.

Don't disenchant them. They're still not horrible and can actually win you games sometimes.

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

I love Jax Truesight. He doesn't have as much game ending power as he used to, but he's still a nightmare to deal with for Vet, Vanar, and usually Songhai and Abyssian.

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

bvoid posted:

Is there a go-to resource for net decks? It looks like the forums is the main spot, but I just wanted to be sure.

On the subreddit there's actually an entire deckbuilding section in the sidebar that has budget and top tier net decks.

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

Khymera has been used in tournaments in Magmar decks with double Flash Reincarnation. For general ladder play though, he's not too commonly seen.

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

A video from my favorite Duelyst content creator on positioning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcP8KXiQK7I

A little old text based guide but I think everything should still be relevant: https://forums.duelyst.com/t/positioning-overview-and-faction-analysis/3770

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

Are you kidding me? When's the last time you've seen a double Golem Metallurgist in ranked? That's loving incredible.

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

Huge patch.

https://forums.duelyst.com/t/duelyst-beta-0-57-0-pending-release-1-29-morning-pst/27005

TLDR:
Replays
Profile screen overhaul
Generals now have casting animations
Lantern Fox remade
Do Not Disturb functionality
Login by Username or E-mail

New cards:

Kronikle fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 28, 2016

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

Yeah they're working on a fix for the lag that'll likely be implemented today.

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

Bread Set Jettison posted:

How do you post images of your deck like they do on the Duelyst forums?

http://duelystdb.com/ has a squad builder which will make a cool image of your deck that you can post on forums.

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

Awww yeah

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

Yeah those are all good legendaries. Just keep playing the game. You'll get the spirit in no time.

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

To add onto that thescientist and cynosure are also really good streamers.

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

Gravy Train Robber posted:

Are they going to be adding in any more faction cards soon? It would be nice to have some competition with the neutral staples and further differentiate the factions.

Yep, there's at least 3 expansions and a mini-expansion planned which will add a ton of new card to every faction.

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

I 100% agree with your decisions for 22 and 24. Hearthsister brings insane utility and despite what anyone says Rock Pulverizer is still a decent card, especially for a two drop.

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

Patch notes are coming today. It should hopefully fix the Vetruvian problems.

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

Patch notes up:

https://forums.duelyst.com/t/duelyst-beta-0-59-0-pending-release-2-25-afternoon-pst/29470

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

I mean Abyssian burn/face was a pretty uninteractive playstyle and very unfun to play against. Honestly I think the Nightsorrow Assassin change was a buff, especially for control Abyssian. The card instantly kills an Ironcliffe Guardian and then trades another 3 damage with either the enemy general or another minion.

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

Avasculous posted:

and the big patch changes were removing the Vetruvian faction from the game

Vetruvian is fine. People are just overreacting and getting overly dramatic about having to use S3W on Dervishes instead of whatever they happen to pull out of their butts. Honestly I think it was a pretty fair nerf that still keeps most of the card's same power as long as you build around it.

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

Megasabin posted:

Just enchant a full Songhai deck now, because you know you will get back all your spirit when they get nerfed to poo poo halfway through the month.

Speak of which. I actually have an almost full set of Songhai cards. What's the current hotness in terms of decks for them? Or at least a place I can look it up?

This Spellhai deck seems pretty FOTM

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

Phayray posted:

I'm pretty new to the game, having recently almost finished the challenges and got all the factions to 10, and somehow lucked into a 7-0 streak with this pile of garbage, bringing me from rank 26 to 20:

It's basically a collection of what looked like the best Abyssian cards I had, with neutral minions filling out the rest of the spots. This is a really fun game and much better than Hearthstone IMO, I feel like the positioning aspect gives me more opportunities to challenge opponents with better cards.

I know I'm late, but put some Nightsorrow Assassins in your deck ASAP. They are singlehandedly the card that brought Abyssian from poo poo tier to god tier.

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

The current meta is infinitely better than Scion's Third Wish meta. I'm reasonably sure that Songhai is going to get nerfed this month too after all of the complaints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

From their product roadmap:

Here are the priority features and content that's in-development:

Codex + Historia Lore Unlocks
Spectate + Custom Broadcaster Mode (w/ Twitch integration)
In-Game Tournament Modes + Moderator Tools
Prismatic Cards
Lore Cards
1st card expansion in 2016 - Denizens of Shim'zar
2nd card expansion in late 2016
Alternate General Skins
More Battlemaps (in-game environments)
Revamped Early Progression System
Voice Acting
Additional Platforms: Steam Integration, Linux, Mobile, Consoles
Language Localization: French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Spanish, Portuguese, Traditional and * Simplified Chinese
Performance + Optimization

• Locked thread