Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
New player here, but Hearthstone veteran. Played three Gauntlets yesterday, went 1 win as Magmar twice and 3 as Abyssian, though one was from a DC.

Not a big fan of how splashy some of the cards are compared to Hearthstone's relatively tight card balance. Getting one-shot because someone pulled two Divine Bond, or getting some of my expensive minions cleared effortlessly because someone pulled the card that does 7 damage to only enemy minions when an easy trigger happens sure doesn't make me feel like I can win through skill. Every win felt like it was because they didn't happen to have some of the multitude of extremely powerful removal that I wasn't offered, and when I lost it was precisely because I would get 4-for-1 from one card that would have been nice to have myself.

Flooding the board sets me up to AoE of course, but only putting a few dudes out also just means some card combos steal or wipe 2-4 of those few minions anyway and I'm now losing. I know I will learn which factions can gently caress me over in which ways, but this game seems way more about memorizing every single card and playing specifically around every single possible combo than just going by general guidelines until I learn the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Even without Frenzy that seems like it would be a silly card. It seems like their gap between starting neutral cards and earned faction ones makes my bitching about Dr. Boom and Shielded Minibot in Hearthstone look silly in comparison.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

They all motherfuckers is what they is.

Budget Lyonar blows rear end and leveling the factions is annoying, but I've opened a few legendaries already which is miles ahead of Hearthstone. My first draft was like five legendaries, which seemed like a waste when I drafted dumb poo poo like the 1/7 ranged magnet. C'est la vie.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Finally went past 3 wins in Gauntlet, then promptly lost to a Magmar with:

Natural Selection x2
Plasma Storm x2
Adamantine Claws x2
Kinetic Equilibrium
Metamorphosis
Red Synja

+ all around solid minions. He either got card or mana advantage every single turn, kept my board clear nearly every turn, and won with double Adamantite Claws when I would have pulled a goddamn miracle victory with a desperate four card play I had in my hand the next turn. I know common removal is going to be seen a lot, but getting 3-for-1 in four turns with those last three cards and Plasma Storm really loving sucked. I guess that's the danger of playing Abyssian when everyong plays Magmar, because they can effortlessly clear your entire board with Plasma as many times as they want because they are common. Had a couple blowouts with 2x Bloodmoon whatever and that 5-drop that has the Deathwatch that heals/hurts Generals though. Ending your turn with 12 1/1s that spawn more 1/1s and heal/hurt every time they die is a mean way to win.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

I doubt it's really him, as he accepted my friend request, but he wasn't streaming at the time so I can't verify either way yet. I beat him in like five turns with my cheap rear end starter Wraithling + Creep mish mash deck.

Just opened that egg spawning Magmar Legendary spell. That makes that + Silithar Elder in a few days, which are obviously two great tastes that go great together. I need to make some Egg Morphs though.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

I'm pretty sure you don't get 30 cards for the price of 1.5 orbs, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

vandalism posted:

I tried this game and I can't really win hardly ever. I'm fairly poo poo at it. Still using starter decks and whatnot. It's kinda like magic combined with that hologram game from the Millennium Falcon. Weird. Kind of a poo poo game, though.

This game borrows a lot of its card design from Hearthstone, so if you're played that you'll get a leg up on learning the relative worth of cards. A small difference is that because Generals always do 2 damage on attack and counter-attack, health is undervalued a bit, so where Hearthstone usually values attack and health equally in card cost, Duelyst budgets health a bit more cheaply on average as minions tend to lose health on every attack.

This is useless info if you haven't played Hearthstone though, of course, it just helped me a bit. Also yeah I'm not liking this game much at all, especially compared to Hearthstone. The only viable decks above the poo poo ranks require specific combos that can either wipe an entire board or kill the opponent from over half health, because every other deck can do the same. It's less about using tempo and controlling the board and more about holding specific cards in your hand until you can poo poo on your opponent without giving them a chance to react, so it's more solitary than competitive. Did you draw cards X Y Z first? You win. Did your opponent draw their cards A B C first? You lose. Good luck next time!

• Locked thread