Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I started watching Empire last night on Shomi because people say it's good but I got to the board meeting where Lee Daniels starts ranting about downloaders taking the food out of the mouths of musicians and stopped because gently caress that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Aren't you confusing a television show with music?

Are you retarded?

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
I love how songs go to #1 for 11 weeks and yet no one you've ever met likes the song

super mario batali
Aug 1, 2013

Dice-a the Mushroom
Grimey Drawer
e: never mind

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

satanic splash-back posted:

Aren't you confusing a television show with music?

Are you retarded?

It's a multi layered op

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
The music industry you say? Music isn't made in factories you maroon, it's art.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Idiot Kicker posted:

I love how songs go to #1 for 11 weeks and yet no one you've ever met likes the song

That's because the only people that don't steal their music are middle-aged/old women and 13-year-old girls. Plus, people who are really into music these days usually have extremely specific tastes, so everybody listens to different artists and nobody sells enough copies of anything to hit the charts.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

JnnyThndrs posted:

That's because the only people that don't steal their music are middle-aged/old women and 13-year-old girls. Plus, people who are really into music these days usually have extremely specific tastes, so everybody listens to different artists and nobody sells enough copies of anything to hit the charts.

loving peopl should buy what the musioc indrusty tells them to

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
gently caress the RIAA

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Let's not

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
It seems like it will implode soon.

Like, more than it already has.

How the gently caress do they make money??

Stuffguyman
Jun 3, 2007

notZaar posted:

Industrial metal is made in factories :colbert:

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
I like Bomb The Music Industry a lot and I also like Jeff Rosenstock's solo work.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

imo everyone should pirate everything lars ulrich has ever recorded even if they never listen to it

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

notZaar posted:

Jesus. How long were you in that coma?

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

notZaar posted:

lol its called moron you retort

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

The Goatfather posted:

imo everyone should pirate everything lars ulrich has ever recorded even if they never listen to it

if you hate Lars you should watch Some Kind Of Monster, even his dad doesn't like him very much

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
Top 40 is musical democracy. Hating pop music means you hate freedom.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

BigBoss posted:

Top 40 is musical democracy. Hating pop music means you hate freedom.

i listened to a taylor swift song once and the entire backing track was 1 note on a synthesizer lol

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

The Goatfather posted:

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
In 2000, *NSYNC's No Strings Attached debuted at #1 on Billboard with one-week sales of over 2.4 million.
In 2011, Amos Lee's Mission Bell went to #1 on Billboard selling only 40,000, or 0.1% of *NSYNC's total.

:siren: THE MUSIC INDUSTRY :siren:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

ghlbtsk posted:

In 2000, *NSYNC's No Strings Attached debuted at #1 on Billboard with one-week sales of over 2.4 million.
In 2011, Amos Lee's Mission Bell went to #1 on Billboard selling only 40,000, or 0.1% of *NSYNC's total.

good

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

City of Tampa posted:

I like Bomb The Music Industry a lot and I also like Jeff Rosenstock's solo work.

those guys get mention every time i talk about math the band for some reason

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

City of Tampa posted:

if you hate Lars you should watch Some Kind Of Monster, even his dad doesn't like him very much

This movie was amazing. I kinda felt bad for Kirk, all he wants to do is make music guys :smith:

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

mr.capps posted:

those guys get mention every time i talk about math the band for some reason

they are all obnoxious (but v. likable) nerd punk I guess

edit: listen to Jeff R's "We Cool?" tape rip on youtube, it's loving great

City of Tampa fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 23, 2015

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Skeleton Ape posted:

This movie was amazing. I kinda felt bad for Kirk, all he wants to do is make music guys :smith:

yeah Kirk seemed cool and for some reason I was kind of surprised that James is such an insufferable, whiny baby about everything

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Hey op, what are your opinions on k records?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

ghlbtsk posted:

Where do you find the actual sales numbers? Billboard's website blows. This is really cool though, I'm glad it's dead.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress the music industry.

maybe if they actually gave the artist a fair cut of sales I would give a poo poo but as it stands that whole 'taking food out of artists' mouths' thing is so absurd that it is insulting. I loving know you give them pennies per every $20 album sold. I loving know their money comes from shows/endorsements/merchandising, all of which benefits from wide distribution of the actual music (which piracy helps happen).

gently caress 'em. They failed to adapt their business model to a changing market and instead tried to lawsuit away their problems.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

mr.capps posted:

Hey op, what are your opinions on k records?

I haven't found a reason to hate them I guess

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

when the RIAA says piracy takes food out of artists' mouths they mean just mean their "artists" because piracy opens you up to all kinds of new music the RIAA isn't promoting, doesn't have a big stake in and doesn't want you to buy

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
it's hard to say who was the least cool in some kind of monster, a movie where the absolute coolest person in the room at all times is kirk hammett. and then the big gnarly bass player guy who shows up later.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

piracy doesn't take food out of artists mouths, I take food out of artist mouths

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Where do you find the actual sales numbers? Billboard's website blows. This is really cool though, I'm glad it's dead.

https://www.google.com/#q=lowest+selling+%231+record

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fastest-selling_albums

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Okay so it's actually a record low, not a typical modern #1 - that's pretty much what I wanted to know. For all you know the month after the NSYNC album was nearly that low. I want to know what the sales figure are week-by-week, not just the extremes.

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
Here's an interesting graph.
People are still gobbling up music, they're just paying almost nothing for it.

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Okay so it's actually a record low, not a typical modern #1 - that's pretty much what I wanted to know. For all you know the month after the NSYNC album was nearly that low. I want to know what the sales figure are week-by-week, not just the extremes.

Yeah sorry if that was misleading.
Record low #1 vs. record high #1.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

ghlbtsk posted:

Here's an interesting graph.
People are still gobbling up music, they're just paying almost nothing for it.

lets not forget that digital distribution nullifies all sorts of costs related to manufacturing, warehousing, and distributing physical media so its reasonable that it should cost far less

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

ghlbtsk posted:

Yeah sorry if that was misleading.
Record low #1 vs. record high #1.

It was more wishful thinking on my part - I lust for music industry death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow