Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Jeza posted:

Living on a diet of meat, potatoes, bread and milk in Japan of all places sounds really expensive and bizarre.

Maybe he's in some sort of Gaijin nature preserve. Like, parents pay to show their children the very pale man eating a plateful of boiled potatoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

BarbarianElephant posted:

Maybe he's in some sort of Gaijin nature preserve. Like, parents pay to show their children the very pale man eating a plateful of boiled potatoes.
So is Ireland the Jurassic Park of this particular nature reserve genre then :v:

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

waitwhatno posted:

Genuine question: how is eating tasty food equal to "a lot of work"? Do you mean that you have to get used to eating different food or something? Why? If I try new food and it's tasty, it's tasty instantly, without any work involved.

A lot of work is hyperbole. But I don't like green vegetables. They taste bad to me. So I don't eat them. Again, I enjoy fish, but I spent most of my life in Midwest America where there's very little fresh seafood so I'm just not that into it, though I eat it here occasionally because it's so abundant.

Also my particular area is pretty well known for its beef, and grains and milk are cheaper than in the States. It's only fruit that's crazy expensive here. I eat pretty cheap. I probably should take advantage of the seafood, but I don't feel like I'm missing out by not eating something I'm not crazy about.

Yorkshire Pudding fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 29, 2015

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

What don't you like about 'em? If you put forth a minimum of effort you can probably find some vegetables/a way to prepare vegetables that you'll like, different kinds of cooking can completely alter their flavor and texture even moreso than meat.

I've run into a lot of midwesterners who 'can't stand vegetables' because the only way Midwesterners ever prepare them is boiled into a paste. Nothing is good cooked that way.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

waitwhatno posted:

Genuine question: how is eating tasty food equal to "a lot of work"? Do you mean that you have to get used to eating different food or something? Why? If I try new food and it's tasty, it's tasty instantly, without any work involved.
I think the biggest problem here is that it is intimidating to make a real meal. I will use the thug kitchen cookbook as an example. The food in there is delicious and it is healthy. It is also almost universally a lot of work to prepare for a novice. I am experienced in the kitchen and most recipes will take me 20-30 minutes of actual work to prep, plus cleanup, which is almost universally a lot. My wife, who is a novice in the kitchen would take 60 minutes on average. She would reread everything multiple times, ask lots of questions, cut slowly, etc..

Americans (and probably others, but I don't want to speak for them) have unfortunately been raised in households of hamburger helper and betty crocker cream of mushroom soup meals. We have lost the art of chopping, slicing, and dicing vegetables and herbs in favor of the box and bag. I understand why, but I wish the victims would just try the alternative. To bring up my wife again, she would rather drive 15 minutes each way for Panera broccoli cheese soup. I would rather grate my own chedder and chop some broccoli to create a meal where I know every ingredient and can taste the effort that was put into making it.

Tequila Sunrise posted:

A lot of work is hyperbole. But I don't like green vegetables. They taste bad to me. So I don't eat them. Again, I enjoy fish, but I spent most of my life in Midwest America where there's very little fresh seafood so I'm just not that into it, though I eat it here occasionally because it's so abundant.
That's a copout. I grew up in the midwest (still live there in fact) and I don't use america's love of betty crocker as a crutch to justify a lovely diet.

1) veggies have to be prepared the same as meat does. You don't put a steak on the grill without properly seasoning it, and you shouldn't cook a vegetable like that either.
2) seafood that is destined for the midwest is frozen on the boat. It loses very little flavor, and in fact probably tastes fresher than something that was caught and then sat in lovely refrigeration for a day before going to market on the coasts.

If there is anyone out there that claims to not like vegetables and uses that as justification for eating like poo poo, I implore you to buy the thug kitchen cookbook. The recipes are all vegan, because as they eloquently point out, we already know how to prepare animal protein. They are often time consuming but straight forward to prepare. They almost universally taste 100% awesome and are mostly what your doctor would call healthy. Most importantly, the sections where they provide cooking tips and pointers are entertaining and easy to read. You will learn some cooking theory while preparing you dinners and will be a more rounded person for it.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Also my particular area is pretty well known for its beef, and grains and milk are cheaper than in the States. It's only fruit that's crazy expensive here. I eat pretty cheap. I probably should take advantage of the seafood, but I don't feel like I'm missing out by not eating something I'm not crazy about.

Have you ever had an experience in your life where something that "tasted bad" to you at first became enjoyable? Beer, coffee, wine, liquor are common examples of this. Many things are an acquired taste. You may have heard this term before.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I've run into a lot of midwesterners who 'can't stand vegetables' because the only way Midwesterners ever prepare them is boiled into a paste. Nothing is good cooked that way.
Salsa is.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

adorai posted:

Salsa is.
The day they find a healthy analogue for tortilla chips that actually feels/tastes like them is the day I start seeing if a human can live on chips and salsa.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I'll never understand why people have such strong opinions on what I choose not to eat.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Tendai posted:

The day they find a healthy analogue for tortilla chips that actually feels/tastes like them is the day I start seeing if a human can live on chips and salsa.
I find a toasted tortilla with a smattering of cheese is a great salsa delivery device. Healthier than a fried tortilla chip, though I don't really feel that normal tortilla chips and salsa is in any way unhealthy, unless you already have high blood pressure and have to limit your salt intake.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Tequila Sunrise posted:

I'll never understand why people have such strong opinions on what I choose not to eat.

The thread had already decided that most Supertasters must be making it up, and that people who didn't like every kind of vegetable obviously just haven't had them prepared the right way... honestly, what did you think was going to happen when you posted? :v:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

adorai posted:

I find a toasted tortilla with a smattering of cheese is a great salsa delivery device. Healthier than a fried tortilla chip, though I don't really feel that normal tortilla chips and salsa is in any way unhealthy, unless you already have high blood pressure and have to limit your salt intake.
Well no, but the salsa here in NM is good enough that I could eat it every day and I think they* probably frown on eating tortilla chips that often

* I don't know who, the surgeon general or something, lay off me man

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Captain Bravo posted:

The thread had already decided that most Supertasters must be making it up, and that people who didn't like every kind of vegetable obviously just haven't had them prepared the right way... honestly, what did you think was going to happen when you posted? :v:

alas poor goon

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Oct 29, 2015

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Int. SCENE: a GOON approaches a JAPANESE SALARYMAN at an ANIME TITTY BAR

GOON: Hey, you. I heard you were talking about vegetables. Yeah, I don't eat those, only burgers, and I'm 6'3 170 pounds.

SALARYMAN: During the war my family was forced to subsist on dogs and whales, and consequently lost all our teeth. My father would surely have died for some mashed peas, had he not first died flying an airplane into a boat.

GOON: Heh why do you care what I eat? Tss, weird.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Tequila Sunrise posted:

naah, nobody actually cares about what you eat. we are not your mother( or least I'm not)

eating is just one of the most awesome human experiences (together with sex and murder) and there is nothing wrong with stating it. don't be so defensive.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
I believe Adorai is correct in part due to intimidation in cooking. I feel another is exposure.

Unless you have friends who can cook you great stuff, what's your incentive to try cooking it yourself? Myself, I was influenced to start cooking mostly vegetarian food from scratch thanks to local vegetarian restaurants (a big hurdle right there) and almost as big, a willingness to pay for it. In my circles, people feel like its either a waste of money to buy a non-meat dish when eating out. Or that vegetarian food shouldn't cost very much.

Once again I'm throwing my so-called vegetarian wife under the bus. A few years ago a new vegetarian restaurant opened nearby and we were both excited to try it, except she was turned off by the $15+ per entrée price. I thought her reluctance was ridiculous since I was paying anyway! And I didn't think that was too much to pay for a once every 5-6 month occasion. Finally, and relevant to my point, the exposure is inspiring to me! Like if its a decent dish, I have little doubt I can find a similar recipe or come up with one on my own.

For example if your vegetable exposure is that of a side, I can understand the disincentive of interest to consider, say the Thug Kitchen sweet potato and pinto bean tacos as a meal alternative, It seems unfortunate that most people would rather stick to their comfort level of pasta or Morningstar wings.

Finally, to circle back to Adorai, one aspect of cooking I don't see touted strongly (perhaps because its self evident?)is that the more you cook, the faster it becomes due to a combination of improved skill, technique, or tools (e.g.,I've not grated cheese by hand since discovering food processors).

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

adorai posted:

Ok but be careful because when most people think tortilla, what they actually produce from their fridge is a loving abomination; a carb delivery device that is essentially a near-tasteless, pre-cooked mess of a culinary ingredient.

What you, and everyone who eats tortillas needs to do, is get Tortilla Land tortillas. I feel very strongly about this because they will change your life and you will impress everyone who eats one in your home.

Get this, change your life:

Thank you.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

gently caress it, I'll bite. We don't have those in the U.K., just the soft flour tortillas. What's the difference?

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

de la peche posted:

gently caress it, I'll bite. We don't have those in the U.K., just the soft flour tortillas. What's the difference?

These you need to actually cook for a little bit on the stovetop.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

you're in the UK, you've got chapattis somewhere

they're not the same thing, but they're close.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 29, 2015

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

D.N. Nation posted:

These you need to actually cook for a little bit on the stovetop.

You always need to toast a tortilla on the stovetop. Do people who aren't like, backpackers actually loving eat them as they come out of the bag? ಠ_ಠ savages. The only times I don't do that is if, as aforementioned, I am out in the wilderness or if I'm like, out of bread and making peanut butter-honey tortilla wraps (which is usually what I use tortillas for if I'm backpacking, also). You can make a loving dope "pizza" with tortilla, some like, mozzarella, a little tube of tomato paste and pepperoni. Just stop early, like, half an hour before sunset for camp, get a fire going and assemble aforementioned ingredients on top of some aluminum foil. Bomb-rear end dinner after ~3 days into a trip.

Jeza posted:

Living on a diet of meat, potatoes, bread and milk in Japan of all places

Word man. I would be knee-deep in tuna steaks. I had some toro once, but I prefer the more savory cuts, like senaka.

Keldoclock fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 29, 2015

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Taima posted:

What you, and everyone who eats tortillas needs to do, is get Tortilla Land tortillas. I feel very strongly about this because they will change your life and you will impress everyone who eats one in your home.
No, no. The true trick is to move to New Mexico or a similar area and find an older lady who makes them and sells them. The lard will kill you eventually but goddamn do they taste good. I never realized that tortillas on their own could just be straight up good till I moved here.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
A friend of mine drinks like a fish, smokes cigarettes constantly, and eats complete poo poo pretty much all the time (frozen meals, beans on toast, and grilled cheese form probably 80% of his diet), and has done exactly that for most of his life. Apart from the fact that he's old and his joints are a bit hosed, he's still going strong in his late 60s. He freely admits he never expected to live this long. I honestly have no idea when or how he'll die -- his mental faculties are slipping, but physically he doesn't have any ailments to speak of.

Seems like a real slap in the face to people who took care of themselves and keeled over in their 50s.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure a lot of that is just straight up genetics, to judge by my own family. All my grandparents have lived into their late nineties or above, there are absolutely no diseases like cancer or things like heart attacks, people on both sides just sort of get old and die of old age. I'm guessing that that kind of genetic background can take a lot more punishment with regards to poo poo food or drinking or other habits like smoking than someone from a family where most of the men die of heart attacks before 50 even if they don't do anything bad, like a friend of my family.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Taima posted:

No, no, no. What everyone needs to do is make their own tortillas. Masa can be bought drat near everywhere, lard too. You can rig up a quick homemade tortilla maker with a few hinges and some pieces of wood. It takes way less time than you'd think, and tastes amazing.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I love how this thread has run from powdered soup sachets to homemade tortilla makers.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

"Eating badly" definitely encompasses some of the people I've known who make tortillas about 90% of all the food they eat. :v:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Captain Bravo posted:

"Eating badly" definitely encompasses some of the people I've known who make tortillas about 90% of all the food they eat. :v:

I live in South Texas and I can confirm that tortillas make you fat.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Keldoclock posted:

You always need to toast a tortilla on the stovetop.

Well, you could just microwave them. (runs, hides)

But the uncooked ones...gotta stovetop 'em.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

What don't you like about 'em? If you put forth a minimum of effort you can probably find some vegetables/a way to prepare vegetables that you'll like, different kinds of cooking can completely alter their flavor and texture even moreso than meat.

Go outside and grab a handful of grass.

Stuff it in your mouth.

You are experiencing what nearly all green vegetables taste like to me, cooked or uncooked.

Edit: Except sprouts which are actually nice.

Edit2: Also vegetables that aren't green are also good. Turnip, parsnip, carrot, all good. Cauliflower is delicious. But I can only guess I just don't like the taste of the colour green.

If they do tongue transplants so I can eat a salad or something and enjoy it I would be happy because I really wish there was some easy to prepare fresh and light tasting food I liked. Best I can do is fancy fish but I'm terrible at cooking fish. Otherwise it's all stodge.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Oct 31, 2015

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
honestly anyone who suggests a flour tortilla should probably kill their grocer, then kill themselves. Corn tortillas are superior in every way.

OwlFancier posted:

If they do tongue transplants so I can eat a salad or something and enjoy it I would be happy because I really wish there was some easy to prepare fresh and light tasting food I liked. Best I can do is fancy fish but I'm terrible at cooking fish. Otherwise it's all stodge.
Really it's all about how it's prepared. I use a lettuce/spring mix/spinach combo with a bit of cheese, a touch of dressing, and premade salad topping (basically bacos and sunflower seeds). Maybe cherry tomatoes if they are in season and cheap. You can top it with leftover protein, anything works; whether it be beans, taco meat, fish, chicken or pork. It's pretty good, I try to have such a salad as the feature of my lunch or dinner at least 3 days a week. It surely counteracts the cheeseburgers, chicken wings, and taco bell.

adorai fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Oct 31, 2015

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!
I mean surely you cannot be suggesting that a nice dish a bunch of ingredients, one or more of which are some type of vegetable, somehow taste just like grass.

It's the combination that makes it.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
I sometimes eat nothing steamed vegetables in a green heap, and it doesn't taste like grass to me.

I'm willing to accept that some people just taste things differently. For example, we know that some cilantro haters just have extra taste receptors triggered by a certain compound in the innocuous vegetable.

There's no excuse for refusing all vegetables, when there are so goddamn many different varieties. You don't need to feel obliged to like traditional salads, so long as you're eating a good variety of legumes and roots.

For the record, you could get away with only eating brussel sprouts. It's just not very fun.

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Oct 31, 2015

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

adorai posted:

Really it's all about how it's prepared. I use a lettuce/spring mix/spinach combo with a bit of cheese, a touch of dressing, and premade salad topping (basically bacos and sunflower seeds). Maybe cherry tomatoes if they are in season and cheap. You can top it with leftover protein, anything works; whether it be beans, taco meat, fish, chicken or pork. It's pretty good, I try to have such a salad as the feature of my lunch or dinner at least 3 days a week. It surely counteracts the cheeseburgers, chicken wings, and taco bell.

One of the most irritating things in the world is when you say "I don't like leafy green vegetables" and somebody goes "Well, have you ever tried them in a salad?" like you're going to go "holy poo poo I never thought about trying them in a salad!"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

adorai posted:

honestly anyone who suggests a flour tortilla should probably kill their grocer, then kill themselves. Corn tortillas are superior in every way.

That tastes like salad dressing, cheese, little chunks of meat, and mostly grass.

I literally can't taste anything in most greens except for the same overpowering vegetable matter taste that all green plants, edible or no, seem to have.

They look lovely and if I see people eating a crisp salad with a little bit of balsamic vinegar on it or something, I think it must taste delicious, but it never does.

Even like, a chicken caesar wrap or something mostly made of cheese and grease will taste quite strongly of it if they put a little bit of green in there. I can eat it but it doesn't taste very nice.

I'll eat cauliflower on its own quite happily but greens are just... not pleasant and I really wonder what other people are tasting when they eat them.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Oct 31, 2015

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Khizan posted:

One of the most irritating things in the world is when you say "I don't like leafy green vegetables" and somebody goes "Well, have you ever tried them in a salad?" like you're going to go "holy poo poo I never thought about trying them in a salad!"

A nice salad. A lot of restaurant salads are just a heap of greens with some cherry tomatoes and a sweet sauce. That's hard for me to eat and I quite like greens. It is a bit like chomping through a meadow. If you make your own salad you can go easy on the greens and add a lot more flavoursome vegetables.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
I have a brother with an awful diet. He is 26 and lives almost exclusively off meat and potatoes. He will eat pasta, though he still tries to pick the tomatoes out of the sauce. :psyduck:

My theory is that there's just enough nutrition in his limited list of 'will eat' foods that keeps him from getting some sort of deficiency.

I used to mock him for his bizarre eating habits and tell him to stop being a manchild. Now I just feel sorry for him and wonder if there is anything I can do to help him get to healthier eating patterns. I've had a couple of ideas but wondering is pointless because he doesn't seem to understand the problem with his lifestyle. I don't think change is possible unless they recognise that their diet is actively harming them and that change is not only possible, but necessary.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Who on earth doesn't like tomato pasta sauce? It's as close to tomatoes as ketchup.

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

adorai posted:

honestly anyone who suggests a flour tortilla should probably kill their grocer, then kill themselves
new thread title?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

Edit: Except sprouts which are actually nice.

Edit2: Also vegetables that aren't green are also good. Turnip, parsnip, carrot, all good. Cauliflower is delicious. But I can only guess I just don't like the taste of the colour green.

lol at the rest of this but this is actually a reasonably varied diet that covers all your bases and gives you access to like 90% of good cooking and isn't some insane manchild poo poo like "i only eat meat, potatoes, and corn products", you just don't like a specific taste, so you do you I guess. There's ways to prepare lots of greens that significantly change the flavor but nothing I'd describe as 'light' offhand, IDK how much does a saag really taste like spinach?

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 31, 2015

• Locked thread