Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
You can do anything with it. Anything. Finance, statistics, kill lists. Everyone should learn how to apply excel to everyday tasks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL
IM = [G1+A2+Y12]

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i prefer victoria 2 for my genocide planning needs

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

excel is good

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
pivot tables changed my life

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer
I once wrote a spreadsheet for eve, then I felt compelled to kill myself. That's my story thanks for reading, godbless.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

at work I like to write little nice sentences and jokes but then hide them in secret cells and change the font color to white, so nobody sees them or knows about them but me

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Ben Smash posted:

I once wrote a spreadsheet for eve, then I felt compelled to kill myself. That's my story thanks for reading, godbless.

remember that time you had that chef job and they called you "dog poo poo" all the time. ill never forget that.

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer

dad gay. so what posted:

remember that time you had that chef job and they called you "dog poo poo" all the time. ill never forget that.

Yes and you'll also never let me forget it. Thank you kind sir. I feel like we have some special kind of bond. Are you interested in meeting up and exchanging prostate exams? Also it wasn't all the time. It was once and I quit.

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I use it to concatenate SQL statements. I refuse to teach any of the stupid babies I work with how to do it. Hah hah! I am the only one allowed to make SQL scripts you loving idiots!

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Ben Smash posted:

Yes and you'll also never let me forget it. Thank you kind sir. I feel like we have some special kind of bond. Are you interested in meeting up and exchanging prostate exams? Also it wasn't all the time. It was once and I quit.

thats not what i heard

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
I just installed Office 2016 :downs:

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Mad Monk posted:

I just installed Office 2016 :downs:

how is it

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001
Excel is the easiest way to make people in an office think you're great at your job. Closely followed by being good at powerpoint.
That poo poo gets you promotions.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I was in the billing office for a large hospital helping out some of the ladies there, one of them asked me to move a file to another lady's computer. Once she got the file it opened and she exclaimed, "what the hell is this?! EX-CELL? I DONT USE NO EX-CELL!"

It was then I realized just how hosed the American healthcare system was. How the gently caress are you in the billing/financial department and you don't know what loving excel is?

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams

It broke Outlook but running scanpst fixed it. So far I really can't tell the difference, looks just like 13. I did an upgrade instead of a clean install, I think that's what corrupted the pst file.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

a bone to pick posted:

I was in the billing office for a large hospital helping out some of the ladies there, one of them asked me to move a file to another lady's computer. Once she got the file it opened and she exclaimed, "what the hell is this?! EX-CELL? I DONT USE NO EX-CELL!"

It was then I realized just how hosed the American healthcare system was. How the gently caress are you in the billing/financial department and you don't know what loving excel is?

maybe she only uses free open source software and hates micro$oft

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

a bone to pick posted:

Billing and coding is like a 10 dollar an hour job so that makes sense that they're all idiots.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
i made a penis once in mspaint

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

deep impact on vhs posted:

i made a penis once in mspaint

you can animate it now, did you see the thread

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
Does it still have that hidden flight simulator in it?

Dave_Indeed posted:

I use it to concatenate SQL statements. I refuse to teach any of the stupid babies I work with how to do it. Hah hah! I am the only one allowed to make SQL scripts you loving idiots!

I use it to make graphs and charts because SAS is great for analysis but its graphics tools look like poo poo.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

dad gay. so what posted:

pivot tables changed my life

I'm not smart enough for them.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

Parallax Scroll posted:

you can animate it now, did you see the thread

:captainpop:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
excel is ok, i've done some sweet things with it.

but man it loving sucks rear end for presentation purposes. the margins never loving make sense and everything gets shifted around, and you can never exactly tell the scales to be like 1" = 10 ft or something without a lot of work. even with macros it never comes out right. there's no way to put absolute positioning of like text labels and stuff so hopefully you don't have to line things up other than lovely eyeballing with gridlines.

i've pretty much moved onto using Grapher now for most plots and presentational purposes.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
also they still dont have a proper subscript button, unless they finally added it in 2013

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Doug Sisk posted:

Excel is the easiest way to make people in an office think you're great at your job. Closely followed by being good at powerpoint.
That poo poo gets you promotions.

Then you learn basic SQL and everyone thinks you are a goddamn sorcerer and pay you even more

Then they start requesting reports on things that haven't happened yet and get angry when you say it's not possible to do that

I literally left a job because of that lol

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
:lol: if you've ever used Excel for anything but your job.

:spergin: :spergin: :spergin:

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
it's the least intuitive software ever created but it's also extremely useful so I have to fight it every week or so and I hate hate hate it

Pre-Cambrian Syndrome
Jan 6, 2006

The apicultural mapping of Microsoft software is

Visual Studio - drone
Excel - worker
Power Point - Queen Bee

If you do work in excel, you should aim higher

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Quote-Unquote posted:

Then you learn basic SQL and everyone thinks you are a goddamn sorcerer and pay you even more

Then they start requesting reports on things that haven't happened yet and get angry when you say it's not possible to do that

Learn some VBScript too, or even just how to use the VLOOKUP function, it's magical.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

goona dump this image here

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Excel loser: Everyone fill in the blanks on this spreadsheet. (Forgets to delete formulas)
PowerPoint winner: let's move this business forward and here's how we do it. (Animates slides)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Stottie Kyek posted:

Learn some VBScript too, or even just how to use the VLOOKUP function, it's magical.

index/match is really good, i find vlookup kind of lovely.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Break all the links always

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Quote-Unquote posted:

That's because you haven't learned the next step which is to just make up data when you need it.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yea, if you are a nerd.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

easily vaporwave

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

How do I get better at Excel? Where are the guides?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I also want Excel guides.

Also is the Excel in Libreoffice okay or is it poo poo and how well do skills transfer from one to the other.

Also can I download Excel from Pirate bay and not have a virus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

• Locked thread