Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

What's the point of a self driving car if you can't be drunk in it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

kikkelivelho posted:

What's the point of a self driving car if you can't be drunk in it?

And this is why rich people have chauffeurs.

Do you think they want to let the "common folk" have that same privilege?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

VendaGoat posted:

The short answer is. It depends on which state you're in.

Right, there's a few exceptions, but by and large, it's the case, and I imagine there would be a similar law for that with self driving cars.

God knows it would be handy to be able to get shitfaced and just hop in a car and get driven home though.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
lol if u dont have a drivers license by 20. Also being scared of driving means you should probably kill yourself because everything will probably scare you.

beta as gently caress!!!!

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
4chan hacked my car and now my horn screams "I got AIDS" and flashes the headlights in morse code for "I should kill myself" whenever I try to go to Walgreens

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Humans have proven that they are not capable of driving cars in a safe manner and they have no business doing it. Tens of thousands of people should not have to die each year(in the US alone) because of your hobby. I'm sure you'll still be able to go to a test track or something OP but human drivers have no place on the roads.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy

Chinatown posted:

lol if u dont have a drivers license by 20. Also being scared of driving means you should probably kill yourself because everything will probably scare you.

well gently caress

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Ginette Reno posted:

Right, there's a few exceptions, but by and large, it's the case, and I imagine there would be a similar law for that with self driving cars.

God knows it would be handy to be able to get shitfaced and just hop in a car and get driven home though.

And we've reached an agreement.

So instead of UBER or cabs, you can pay for a cheap car to drive you from where ever to home. It'll follow strict rules of the road. Can be autonomously updated with whatever states laws there are, monitored by a GPS unit, like that rate suckers commercial and holy poo poo, there you go.

What do you think insurance would be on a car that is programmed BY the insurance companies and the state?

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive

VendaGoat posted:

So if my cab driver has a massive heart attack, I'm responsible?

Nah, you're paying for a service. If you owned the cab driver and were responsible for his training, then yeah

Compare the proposed situation with airplane autopilot; someone must be available to take over manually in case of failure

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

drat kids turned my Tesla into a car bomb again.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

No more traffic jams, accidents, pollution, road rage or drunk driving? How can we stop this horrible future from becoming reality?

Maybe in a few hundred years everyone will own a self driving car, but I doubt it will be mandated anytime in our lifetimes, so you are safe OP.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

Nah, you're paying for a service. If you owned the cab driver and were responsible for his training, then yeah

Compare the proposed situation with airplane autopilot; someone must be available to take over manually in case of failure

AHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHA {bolded part}

I am not responsible if the pilot has a heart attack and dies while I am a passenger in the aircraft

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

VendaGoat posted:

AHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHA {bolded part}

I am not responsible if the pilot has a heart attack and dies while I am a passenger in the aircraft

self-driving cars are about giving over control of functions you already possess, not taking a train or plane like a kid in the back seat, what part of this is confusing for you?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

self-driving cars are about giving over control of functions you already possess, not taking a train or plane like a kid in the back seat, what part of this is confusing for you?

Because you have to pass a test to operate a motor vehicle on roads in this country.

You do not have to possess any such LICENSE to be a passenger in one.

You do not need a LICENSE to be driven by a car operated by an AI.

What the gently caress is so confusing for you?

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Chinatown posted:

LOL, I love it when GBS regulars call other people "beta".

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Pawn 17 posted:

LOL, I love it when GBS regulars call other people "beta".

n0ice regdate

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

LOL Yankee cars already do most of the work for you, might as well finish the job right?

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

VendaGoat posted:

Because you have to pass a test to operate a motor vehicle on roads in this country.

You do not have to possess any such LICENSE to be a passenger in one.

You do not need a LICENSE to be driven by a car operated by an AI.

What the gently caress is so confusing for you?

that you seem to have come from a future in which laws have already been passed, governments are totally cool with people doing whatever, lol, in their cars, and caps lock is no longer embarrassing

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

that you seem to have come from a future in which laws have already been passed, governments are totally cool with people doing whatever, lol, in their cars, and caps lock is no longer embarrassing

These are using current laws. How does it feel to be so irrational?

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

VendaGoat posted:

These are using current laws. How does it feel to be so irrational?

hurm, its almost as if new technologies could affect society in ways that past lawmakers could not forsee

"oh, hi, is that the department of transportation? yeah, about that hit 'n' run. Well, when I bought the drat thing, Raytheon guaranteed to me that it would be able to avoid 100% of all collisions. hurf durf"

Linnear
Nov 3, 2010
of course it's a good thing. there like a billion drivers and assholes take up a good percentage of that. remove the jackass, overworked, stressed, neurotic, distracted portion of driving aka the driver, and i would hypothesize that safety would shoot up, not to mention a worldwide dip in blood pressure.

sorry you like driving, but i'm sure there will always be tracks.... or you can loving make a private road in your backyard or something. like king kai.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Linnear posted:

of course it's a good thing. there like a billion drivers and assholes take up a good percentage of that. remove the jackass, overworked, stressed, neurotic, distracted portion of driving aka the driver, and i would hypothesize that safety would shoot up, not to mention a worldwide dip in blood pressure.

sorry you like driving, but i'm sure there will always be tracks.... or you can loving make a private road in your backyard or something. like king kai.
Prototype self-driving cars in their current state are already safer than humans, availability is the only thing to wait for.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The minute self-driving technology becomes feasible we need to get them on the loving road and get rid of regular cars ASAP, mandatory automated driving, I just can't take people slowing down to merge onto highways and people driving 5 miles below the speed limit anymore, I just can't.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
there are so many current existing things to fight about.
I drive an automatic.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

a bone to pick posted:

The minute self-driving technology becomes feasible we need to get them on the loving road and get rid of regular cars ASAP, mandatory automated driving, I just can't take people slowing down to merge onto highways and people driving 5 miles below the speed limit anymore, I just can't.
also every one stop being a dick cause your bored on the turnpike and just go

Xenaul
Jun 2, 2007
If one has to spend 2 hours of their life per day inside a vehicle, it would be great to get at least some limited use of that time, so it can be spend more productively than staring at the road while making small course correction. Self driving vehicle are awesome, and they are a way to get back some of the time we have to waste on just getting places, and they can't get here soon enough.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Xenaul posted:

If one has to spend 2 hours of their life per day inside a vehicle, it would be great to get at least some limited use of that time, so it can be spend more productively than staring at the road while making small course correction. Self driving vehicle are awesome, and they are a way to get back some of the time we have to waste on just getting places, and they can't get here soon enough.
There's all sorts of possibilities. You could make a car that just has a bed inside for long road trips. You could put your kid in the car and have it drive for n hours instead of a babysitter. Instead of flying overnight for business travel, you could drive during the work day and work through it (with a car designed to provide a comfortable office environment).

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
As long as we live in a country determined to suck all the joy out of driving (and life) I say bring on the self-driving cars and let me read a book or something between points A and B.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i want self sucking women

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
While Self driving cars are being developed, you shouldn't worry about manual cars being outlawed. It will not happen IN YOUR LIFETIME.
The logistics of forcing everyone to buy a new car is silly. It's just a masturbatory fantasy of affluent people that can afford to just lease a vehicle for 2 years, then get a new one.

Also, vehicles today , and for the past decade, have been getting harder and harder to work on. Vehicles are made to last just barely past the warranty period. You really expect the car companies to make self driving cars that will last long enough to enter the second hand car market?
If anything, vehicles, by that point, will be locked down black boxes, that require you to take to dealerships for everything. Oh yeah, some politician is going to get fellated so hard by car manufacture lobbyists.

In short, if you support self driving vehicles AS IT IS, then you are just saying " lol gently caress anyone not wealthy and living in a major city".

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

when we finally hit Real Peak Oil the government is going to commandeer all cars anyways

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
lol gently caress anyone not wealthy and living in a major city, we need self-driving cars you loving poors.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
ok also self driving buses

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

i want a burrito that wraps itself

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Johnny Aztec posted:

In short, if you support self driving vehicles AS IT IS, then you are just saying " lol gently caress anyone not wealthy and living in a major city".
There is no reason for every individual to own their own self-driving car, that's stupid. The whole paradigm of "every family should have two cars sitting in a driveway doing nothing most of the time" is car manufacturer nonsense.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Johnny Aztec posted:

While Self driving cars are being developed, you shouldn't worry about manual cars being outlawed. It will not happen IN YOUR LIFETIME.
The logistics of forcing everyone to buy a new car is silly. It's just a masturbatory fantasy of affluent people that can afford to just lease a vehicle for 2 years, then get a new one.

I could see the government mandating that all new cars have self-driving features. Once the technology has had a few years to mature, it'd be no more expensive than all the other safety features they demand of new cars today.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

If manual driving remains legal then the manual driver should be at fault for all accidents - presumably they'll have to pay exorbitant insurance.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

I want self driving beds.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I'd rather just skip right to the part we're not pumping more crap into the atmosphere and Simcity this sucker up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Johnny Aztec posted:

Also, vehicles today , and for the past decade, have been getting harder and harder to work on. Vehicles are made to last just barely past the warranty period. You really expect the car companies to make self driving cars that will last long enough to enter the second hand car market?
If anything, vehicles, by that point, will be locked down black boxes, that require you to take to dealerships for everything. Oh yeah, some politician is going to get fellated so hard by car manufacture lobbyists.

Self-driving cars are going to spread like computers and, well, regular cars did back in the day. They'll go from novelties to toys for rich people to commonplace and omnipresent, growing along with new generations of people instead of some sort of forced government mandate.

It doesn't matter if you "support" them or not, it's coming. It's not going to be sudden, but the generation that's grown up with self-driving cars and can't even imagine life without it is what we'll be bitching about when we're old.

Most of the people who still care about their "right" to drive their own cars by the time there's serious regulations getting pushed will be olds who shouldn't.

• Locked thread