Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
*You pull up to your 25th high school reunion. The self-driving car expertly parks and opens the door for you, because your steady diet of Soylent and exercise consisting of lifting a Linux laptop has made you frail. Glancing at your surroundings, you spot Rob, one of the jocks that tormented you throughout those hellish four years, get out of his car. Your Google Glass tells you it's a 1985 Olds Cutlass Ciera. You immediately feel superior, but it looks like he's happy and not miserable like he should be. After all, he went to work at the lumber mill and you went to ITT Tech.*

And that's when it hits you: Rob doesn't have a condition listed in the DSM-5, so he's still allowed to drive manual automobiles...and he's happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Dr. Wang posted:

*You pull up to your 25th high school reunion. The self-driving car expertly parks and opens the door for you, because your steady diet of Soylent and exercise consisting of lifting a Linux laptop has made you frail. Glancing at your surroundings, you spot Rob, one of the jocks that tormented you throughout those hellish four years, get out of his car. Your Google Glass tells you it's a 1985 Olds Cutlass Ciera. You immediately feel superior, but it looks like he's happy and not miserable like he should be. After all, he went to work at the lumber mill and you went to ITT Tech.*

And that's when it hits you: Rob doesn't have a condition listed in the DSM-5, so he's still allowed to drive manual automobiles...and he's happy.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

Young Freud posted:

Also, because of the detection system and recording memory, they can have a real-time accident analysis of the situation. Here's one of the accidents...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtLp2f-vM14

Riiiight. That's how it went down :rolleyes:

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

lol all you need to do is show this video, that's it, this is why we need self driving cars. People are so incompetent that they run into braked cars on the road because they can't stop playing angry birds for 5 minutes. If you show someone this short video and they aren't convinced about self driving cars, then that person should have their license revoked and forced to only own self-driving cars.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
cities gonna look like this in ten years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llacDdn5yIE

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

Roy posted:

Riiiight. That's how it went down :rolleyes:

What are you saying?

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
That the Google car is a dirty liar

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Rutibex posted:

i hope self driving transport trucks lead to an increase of banditry. knocking a self driving truck full of TVs off the road and swiping the contents is just theft, not murder any more :twisted:

Most cargo theft currently relies on the interstate trucker stopping at a rest stop, either refueling, getting something to eat, using a shower or bathroom, or just sleeping in the truck or a hotel. During that break, the interstate theft rings can unhitch the trailer and hook it to another semi or just steal the whole truck. Other times, cargo theft requires compliance with the trucker, via kickbacks or drugs or prostitution, and the trucker will literally drop the stuff off a truck and file it as a transportation loss to an insurance company. It's easy as hell to just claim that the a pallet of iPads, TVs, bottles of Tide, etc. were improperly stowed and broke during shipping and most companies even plan for damages during shipping. Coercion and armed robbery is uncommon, since it's easier to just avoid dealing with the trucker or just bribe them in giving you stolen merchandise.

Now, with automated trucks, the transportation company has more incentive to give their trucks larger fuel tanks and/or make them hybrids, either allowing them to travel non-stop to their destination or at least give them less incentive to stop. So, yeah, you might be right, because now there's less opportunity for theft rings to pursue a low-risk, high-reward crime in trafficking in stolen goods and now they would have to get their hands dirty to get their product.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
more like automated trucks would come equipped with the same anti theft measures they employ in south africa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDrzMGdYWZc

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

Young Freud posted:

Most cargo theft currently relies on the interstate trucker stopping at a rest stop, either refueling, getting something to eat, using a shower or bathroom, or just sleeping in the truck or a hotel. During that break, the interstate theft rings can unhitch the trailer and hook it to another semi or just steal the whole truck. Other times, cargo theft requires compliance with the trucker, via kickbacks or drugs or prostitution, and the trucker will literally drop the stuff off a truck and file it as a transportation loss to an insurance company. It's easy as hell to just claim that the a pallet of iPads, TVs, bottles of Tide, etc. were improperly stowed and broke during shipping and most companies even plan for damages during shipping. Coercion and armed robbery is uncommon, since it's easier to just avoid dealing with the trucker or just bribe them in giving you stolen merchandise.

Now, with automated trucks, the transportation company has more incentive to give their trucks larger fuel tanks and/or make them hybrids, either allowing them to travel non-stop to their destination or at least give them less incentive to stop. So, yeah, you might be right, because now there's less opportunity for theft rings to pursue a low-risk, high-reward crime in trafficking in stolen goods and now they would have to get their hands dirty to get their product.

Trucks will probably still have operators though, they'll just be less skilled and get paid minimum wage.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Young Freud posted:

won't someone think of the lot lizards

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Automation just might kill the worlds oldest profession. Its fascinating.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Just welcome the automated future you stupid fucks.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
I'm gonna keep driving manual on the roads in part because I like it (and even enjoy driving in cities, even during peak hours) and and also because apparently it makes random people on the internet screech like wounded pigs.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Oct 25, 2015

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Dr. Wang posted:

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Roy posted:

Trucks will probably still have operators though, they'll just be less skilled and get paid minimum wage.

So they'll basically be security guards? Could be worse jobs I guess. Would make a good part time job for students, plenty of downtime to study and do homework.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dr. Wang posted:

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Maoist Pussy posted:

Has anyone noticed that technology is mostly just making everything gayer

yes an im pissed at heck

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

This thread sucks

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I am skeptical that self-driving cars will be perfected enough to be mainstream during my lifetime. I guess if they were safe I would be ok with it, but it will take a lot to convince me that these cars are smart enough to not get me killed.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Ronwayne posted:

I'm gonna keep driving manual on the roads in part because I like it (and even enjoy driving in cities, even during peak hours) and and also because apparently it makes random people on the internet screech like wounded pigs.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Dr. Wang posted:

Glad we're still using the DSM-V 25 years from now.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Naerasa posted:

Glad we're still using the DSM-V 25 years from now.

President Trump slashed their budget :(

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
With automated cars the government is going to be able to kill anyone very easily.

Over 100 murders, suicides, mysterious deaths--the strange fate of those who saw Kennedy shot.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Don't worry friends, the French taxi union is going to stop the arrival of the auto-auto.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
lol at anyone who thinks there's a future in personal vehicles, self driving or otherwise.
Resource shortfalls will force us to embrace public transportation sooner or later. If we were smarter as a society we'd work towards making public transportation as comfortable and ubiquitous as possible.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

Applewhite posted:

lol at anyone who thinks there's a future in personal vehicles, self driving or otherwise.
Resource shortfalls will force us to embrace public transportation sooner or later. If we were smarter as a society we'd work towards making public transportation as comfortable and ubiquitous as possible.

same, but ironically

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Applewhite posted:

Ill buy you a bus ride from st louis to detroit. Let me know how it is.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Tenzarin posted:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

solaranus posted:

Machines far surpass people in their ability to reliably repeat a process, but they are not anywhere near equal to a live human's ability to interpret chaotic situations. Look at all the idiots that drove their car off the side of a cliff because of their GPS; that's what happens when you surrender your agency to a machine. I simply don't see a manner in which the driving environment can be constrained enough for cars to be fully automated. Sensors will go bad in unpredictable manners, novel situations will result in accident cascades with far more potential for damage than a pile-up, the computer equivalent of shining lasers into a planes cockpit will occur, and just simple software crashes/ unreliability inherent to electronic systems all make fully automated vehicles a poor choice.

It's easy really you just tie every car into a central server that runs all the traffic like supercomputers already do to simulate traffic for big government agencies. If a sensor on one car goes out it isn't a big deal because presumably there are fail safes and failing that every other car on the road is acting like a sensor feeding info back to the central computer, too.

If we tried to just have automated cars all independent of each other then yeah that's sketchy but that's not the end goal. I Robot style lounge areas that zoom around run by a central traffic control system is the future.

quote:

Self-driving cars are already in use and are much better than human drivers. This debate is already over.

Also that. They're already here and they're already better in 95% of situations. Yeah alright if a loving HURRICANE happens maybe drive it manually but imo if you're unaware that a hurricane is around until it is already on top of you on the highway you're a moron.

quote:

What happens when an 8 year old figures out how to type in grandmas house on the console and the car gets stranded in the middle of nowhere?

It calls 911 or something for you? Idk what happens today when an 8 year old steals some car keys and strands himself joyriding? It's not like it's hard to track cars and why would the car be stranded in the middle of nowhere going to Grandma's house in the first place?

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Nov 2, 2015

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
put comfy leather seats in a bus and all you get is a comfy seat that stinks of piss

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Moridin920 posted:

It's easy really you just tie every car into a central server that runs all the traffic like supercomputers already do to simulate traffic for big government agencies.

lmfao

you realize there is a huge difference between some server tucked away somewhere for some civil servants to run numbers on and some server literally juggling the lives of thousands, millions of people across a city every second of every day

it's going to be great when said server goes down and an entire city literally crashes or gets hacked and the hackers play some RL GTA

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Self-driving cars will be obsolete before they ever see mainstream usage.

When an AI steals your job, the food is delivered via drones and all your friends are on PRCNET, you don't actually have any reason to use a car.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

lmfao

you realize there is a huge difference between some server tucked away somewhere for some civil servants to run numbers on and some server literally juggling the lives of thousands, millions of people across a city every second of every day

it's going to be great when said server goes down and an entire city literally crashes or gets hacked and the hackers play some RL GTA

Yeah because if the server goes down they have no back ups or anything. The servers are also all hooked up to the open internet for *movie reasons* so hackers can somehow tunnel in and gain control. If one vehicle is compromised it somehow overrides the other 1000 cars nearby all providing sensor info and all the street sensors and poo poo too and GTA hackers are just gonna RUN AMOK!

If the vehicle fails to get central traffic input it just slams into the car in front of it; no automatic braking or anything!

Meanwhile chucklefuck causes a 100 car pile up on the 5 but whatever that's just the cost of manually driving.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Tenzarin posted:

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

put comfy leather seats in a bus and all you get is a comfy seat that stinks of piss

I was more thinking of light rail.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
buses are for poors :ohdear:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Applewhite posted:

I was more thinking of light rail.

I'm ok with this.

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug
Half of the resistance to self-driving cars is all about the 50s myth that cars mean FREEDOM and getting laid in the back seat and your parents don't even need to know. But that's bullshit. And people like the OP are like, why would I want to give up the pleasure of driving a bespoke italian supercar on a racetrack. But that's not the issue at all.

Almost all of the driving people do is awful, and they're awful at it. It's sitting in traffic dropping off kids at school in Honda CRV. Going to a strip mall in a rotting Chevy. Hauling lumber in a lovely pickup. That's the driving people are overwhelmingly doing - slow, predictable, boring, and semiskilled at best. It's so boring and low-demand that lots of people jazz it up - by playing on their phones, or turning it into a weird zero-sum game of aggression to save 4 minutes on their 2 hour commute. Cars are places where we waste our time.

Who can claim with a straight face that they love driving so much that they want to relish the typical experience - driving a lovely econobox early in the morning, or tired from work, through a graceless suburb or office park through stop-go traffic. We need machines to do that, and we need them yesterday. The machines don't even need to be very good, because the advantage of not having a cell phone, or noticing kids in the back seat, or being disappointed with how their life turned out will put them miles ahead of human drivers by default.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

ma i married a tuna posted:

Half of the resistance to self-driving cars is all about the 50s myth that cars mean FREEDOM and getting laid in the back seat and your parents don't even need to know. But that's bullshit. And people like the OP are like, why would I want to give up the pleasure of driving a bespoke italian supercar on a racetrack. But that's not the issue at all.

Almost all of the driving people do is awful, and they're awful at it. It's sitting in traffic dropping off kids at school in Honda CRV. Going to a strip mall in a rotting Chevy. Hauling lumber in a lovely pickup. That's the driving people are overwhelmingly doing - slow, predictable, boring, and semiskilled at best. It's so boring and low-demand that lots of people jazz it up - by playing on their phones, or turning it into a weird zero-sum game of aggression to save 4 minutes on their 2 hour commute. Cars are places where we waste our time.

Who can claim with a straight face that they love driving so much that they want to relish the typical experience - driving a lovely econobox early in the morning, or tired from work, through a graceless suburb or office park through stop-go traffic. We need machines to do that, and we need them yesterday. The machines don't even need to be very good, because the advantage of not having a cell phone, or noticing kids in the back seat, or being disappointed with how their life turned out will put them miles ahead of human drivers by default.

i'm a good driver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

deep impact on vhs posted:

i'm a good driver

Only when you're drunk

• Locked thread