Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Poil posted:

Of course not. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Only if they are shaped like penises.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Now it's getting interesting! What shall we haul where? Give me some starting routes to try. Also vehicle names, I'm gonna need a lot of them, and I can't think up funny names for all of them!

I had a look at my source data and the map is 90x75km, so it's a little squashed in the North/South direction. Each tile represents an area 234.375m x 195.312m. There are 384x384 tiles on a Locomotion map.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

All my best friends are Chinese doctors living in Auckland, so do a passenger train called "The Chowick Express" :madmax:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Got a link to the map, or have I missed it?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Oh, right cargo. Get wood. I won't suggest any routes yet because I don't have the slightest idea on how long a route could or should be in this game.

Pierzak posted:

Got a link to the map, or have I missed it?
There's lots of links to the map on the last page. The relevant posts should probably be linked in the op. Hint. Hint.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Jaguars! posted:

Now it's getting interesting! What shall we haul where? Give me some starting routes to try. Also vehicle names, I'm gonna need a lot of them, and I can't think up funny names for all of them!

Lumber from SW of Otaua to Sawmill at Pokeno

As for names, is there a character limit?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Supply the Glen Eden Paper mill.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Late breaking addenda:
Ack! We need a HQ location!
Waiuku and Henderson now accept passengers!
Some more IRL area names and a couple of park areas off limits to development:

IRL railways:

Poil posted:

There's lots of links to the map on the last page. The relevant posts should probably be linked in the op. Hint. Hint.
What, the second post wasn't good enough? Do people really link things that are on the same page?:bahgawd:(OK OK I'll just do it.:))

Jobbo_Fett posted:

As for names, is there a character limit?

30 Characters.

I'll play tonight and write up tomorrow, if I haven't fouled up anything in the scenario setup.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Oct 30, 2015

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
You can build airplanes? Clearly when the chance comes you need to found Air New Zealand and build AKL, the only part of New Zealand I've been to.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Oh god, It's 1903, I have three trains and The one with the racist name KEEPS GOING THE WONG WAY

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Dude Chowick is a great neighbourhood, and even the victims of the name call it that :shobon:

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

diarmuidqq posted:

Dude Chowick is a great neighbourhood, and even the victims of the name call it that :shobon:
;) I know, We're hardly the only guys who know a couple of Asians from Howick, and I'm not remotely offended.
Anyway, right now, that train is in danger of being renamed "The little bastard". Although it is somewhat my fault for trying a very cheap network design. Anyway, I've played through to 1905 now. There's a lot to sort through, so the update definitely ain't coming tonight.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Oct 30, 2015

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
What's wrong with "Chowick"? I lack context.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

It's a nickname for the town of Howick, because lots of Chinese people live there (These days it's more correctly Asian people in general). As diarmuidqq pointed out, its perhaps most often used by ...Asians from Howick.

xelada
Dec 21, 2012
If you are still taking challenges I'd like to submit one:
Connect (preferably by rail) Port Waikato and Army Bay.

On a slightly different note, to get back to my mathcrafting: if you can send as many passengers as you can fit I see no reason to ever use the smaller passenger carriage, 200 people and 20 mail using them would weigh 160t while 192 people and 20 mail using the long ones and a mail cart is only 135t, has a higher run cost ($40 vs $18), and start-up cost($3840 vs $2048).

Also, after looking at the graphs it seems that passengers are better to go for than mail, they both become worthless at the same point (around 90 days), and gives about twice the money , in fact even if the goods gave the same money passengers would still be the better option, comparing 2 mail carriages to 1 (proper) passenger carriage, the passenger carriage is better in almost every conceivable way, it is cheaper, faster, comes earlier, and holds more, while having the same upkeep and weight.

After that most of the non-perishables seem to use basically the same wagons and the only differences are the prices, which barely lower with time so we should probably do them in this order: Steel, Wood, Paper, Coal, Iron Ore, Grain, the rest are currently not quite as worth it as you need heavier wagons with less capacity.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Start off our rail network by building some passenger tram lines to Pukehohe, up Papakura way. HQ in Pukehohe for preference.

I'm thinking long-term it'd be more interesting to leave shipping goods for last, so we can progress from passengers to food down south and then stretch north for goods. ...if that makes any sense. I've never played this game.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

xelada posted:

If you are still taking challenges I'd like to submit one:
Connect (preferably by rail) Port Waikato and Army Bay.

On a slightly different note, to get back to my mathcrafting: if you can send as many passengers as you can fit I see no reason to ever use the smaller passenger carriage, 200 people and 20 mail using them would weigh 160t while 192 people and 20 mail using the long ones and a mail cart is only 135t, has a higher run cost ($40 vs $18), and start-up cost($3840 vs $2048).

Also, after looking at the graphs it seems that passengers are better to go for than mail, they both become worthless at the same point (around 90 days), and gives about twice the money , in fact even if the goods gave the same money passengers would still be the better option, comparing 2 mail carriages to 1 (proper) passenger carriage, the passenger carriage is better in almost every conceivable way, it is cheaper, faster, comes earlier, and holds more, while having the same upkeep and weight.

After that most of the non-perishables seem to use basically the same wagons and the only differences are the prices, which barely lower with time so we should probably do them in this order: Steel, Wood, Paper, Coal, Iron Ore, Grain, the rest are currently not quite as worth it as you need heavier wagons with less capacity.

Glazius posted:

Start off our rail network by building some passenger tram lines to Pukehohe, up Papakura way. HQ in Pukehohe for preference.

I'm thinking long-term it'd be more interesting to leave shipping goods for last, so we can progress from passengers to food down south and then stretch north for goods. ...if that makes any sense. I've never played this game.

Yep, you can nominate routes at any time and I'll try and build them. HQ is now in Pukekohe! I had a big reply typed out to your other questions but I accidentally hit the back button and lost it to the interweb. I think I'll revisit it after I do the first update.

Speaking of which, the Rugby world cup happened :woop: Condolences to our Australian friends:rip: It's now 10.30 and I've got work in the morning and I've only extracted the screenshots up to 1903, so I'm thinking more, smaller updates is probably the way to go.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
OK, maybe I'm just a moron but I still can't find it.

Let me clarify: when I asked for the map I meant the actual map/scenario file you can play, not images.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Should be here, If I've got the hang of dropbox properly:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cq7tucmx009gwtt/Locomotion%20LP%20Challenge.SC5?dl=0

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Thanks! Is it custom-made just for the LP?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Yes! I just started doing it one day and the idea grew from there.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Hm, doesn't work. May I ask for the list of mods?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

1900 - 1903: On time in the age of Ragtime
Locomotion Soundtrack - Eugenia

It's January 1st, 1900 in this peaceful backwater of the Empire. Hot issues of the day include the contribution to the Boer war and nursing massive hangovers.

Poil posted:

Company name: McDuck Enterprises
Company livery: Red and blue
Founder name: Scrooge McDuck
Founder portrait: Wodger Wamjet

Mission Statement: To amass a huge fortune in cash and swim in it.

But noted local financier Scrooge McDuck has been busy.
The runaway winner with 3 votes.

Backed by a shodowy cabal of financiers, Mcduck sets his sights on the forestry operation outside Otaua, near the mouth of the Waikato river.

The first rails go down.

Meanwhile, clearly a great many people have decided to make good on their New century's resolutions, creating a building boom in towns close to the center of the region.

Work proceeds into the swampy flats near the river.

Rails approach the destination near Pokeno. The rolling hills make things a little awkward. Scrooge saves some money by using earth fill instead of bridgeworks.

The line is finished, but a new locomotive is beyond Scrooge's means. He goes cap in hand to the bank.

The manifest is filled out...

Done! The new engine has a tough time with 100 tons of logs aboard, skidding and struggling to build speed, but it works!

Speeds the like of which have never been seen in this land! The sawmillers brace for a busy week, but there'll be no shortage of work now. McDuck shows us why people from the 1800s didn't smile in photographs.

The wisdom of opening a wheat farm in a subtropical rainforest is debatable. The other new farm, to the north, has less problems. The new iron mine at Riverhead is operational.

While the forest at Paparimu has been clearcut and not replanted. Carting the wood out of the hills and into town just wasn't viable. :smith:

With empty wagons on the return run, The land speed record is broken again!

McDuck celebrates by having some new business cards printed.
Your title is actually based on your company rating. We just hit 10%

But there's no rest for the wicked. There's more wood than one train can handle here, and Scrooge sets his sights Northward.

Come to think of it, The lads on the line won't be able to just keep calling it 'The engine' when there's more than one around, can they?

Lumber from the forest makes for a cheap and convenient building material!

Things start getting more crowded as the line approaches the great south road.

But there's a convenient gap between the two sides of Papakura town. Funny that.

The line snakes around a bit to avoid a bridge over a nearby estuary.

Occasional extensions of credit are necessary.

A forest on the other side of the river from us goes under. Scrooge hopes the rest can hold out until he can get there!

Another constriction. This one's gonna be a toughy. A house near the factory is acquired and demolished to make room.

This monstrosity of engineering is the answer.

Itineraries have to be updated carefully to ensure that the trains head to the right places. There's a trap for the newcomer here. We also have to make sure the Paper mill train doesn't fill up with rolls of paper and carry them around uselessly.

Another touchstone of railways everywhere - junk rails laying around just in case they might be useful later...

Another expensive locomotive.

But soon it's all go.

It's been a good couple of years. Time to see what our customers think of us.

"Eh, it's better than the horse and cart."

But the mill is annoyed that they have to cart their goods into Auckland.

McDuck soon discovers a disadvantage of all those wooden bridges!

But he's not even waiting for the new train to arrive before starting some more work.

:unsmith:

The latest line is almost finished. It goes from Auckland to Howick, sharing part of the line in the middle with the Henderson line.

Land in Auckland is Expensive, and sweeping high speed curves are out of the question. A second household falls victim to McDuck's ambitions.

Sharing more lines means more complex orders.

The passengers on the train to Howick likely won't understand the name for oooh, 70 years? Scrooge is ahead of his time, I guess. The passenger train is a success!

We improve signalling technique by removing signals from the shared bit of line. This way, no train can move into the intersection and block ones moving on the shared bit. There's no fancy distance signals in Lomo. Trains simply cannot enter any sector where another train is. That's all they do. You can also get one-way signals that force a train to turn round if they approach it from the wrong direction.

Everything's looking pretty rosy.

But wait,

Whats this?

You shouldn't be going this way...

Houses demolished: 3

Next time, the sailing gets just a teensy bit less smooth in Locomotion!

No business status or tasks for us today, as I already have a backlog of 1904/1905 to clear! As always, you can suggest routes, vehicle names and strategies, but they won't be incorporated until after the next update. :)

P.S. Should I timg the full size screenshots?

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 3, 2016

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Jaguars! posted:

P.S. Should I timg the full size screenshots?

Crop them or resize your screen to 1024px wide. They break tables as they are but timgs are a hassle.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I really like how the tracks follow the terrain. Sure it's not entirely realistic and not optimal but it's pretty. :3:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I don't see any island development going on, not even a bus/tram route :colbert:

(do we even have trams yet?)

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006

Poil posted:

I really like how the tracks follow the terrain. Sure it's not entirely realistic and not optimal but it's pretty. :3:

I like this too! These flavor of games are a blast and I wish they were more popular with the main stream crowd. I'm enjoying the LP so far but have nothing witty or intelligent to say so just leave it at that.

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
Friendly neighbourhood vegetable
Long term suggestion: develop the smallest backwater on the map into a bustling metropolis.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

It's not entirely unrealistic. Most railways will take the long way round to avoid steep grades. For example, If you look at the real life lines:

The rails don't go directly south after leaving Papakura, because they would have to climb 100m and then go do a steep slope on the other side. Instead, they go round the edge of the ridgeline. It's the same leaving from the north, where the rails follow the valleys. This is important at the moment, because our log trains will slow to a crawl at any point where they're occupying two inclines or a an incline with sharp curve nearby.

There are trams. We diversify a bit in the next one, but we still haven't made it out to the islands yet. I was surprised at how quickly the game time went, it took all 3 years to do three lines!

I think the smallest backwater was Clark's beach, Kaiaua or Miranda. I'll have to check. I know that at game start, it only had 13 residents.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Pea posted:

Long term suggestion: develop the smallest backwater on the map into a bustling metropolis.

Yes, pave over The Shire.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Pea posted:

That's exactly why I made the island challenge.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Is there no diagonals besides winding curves? Is it just N/S/E/W + Curve bits only?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Is there no diagonals besides winding curves? Is it just N/S/E/W + Curve bits only?

The largest curve is laid in 45 degree bits and allows for diagonal tracks.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, I just reexamined the screenshots and saw diagonal sections, I just got confused because some of the shots showed areas where here used a bunch of little curves to go in a roughly diagonal direction where just a straight diagonal would've made more sense to me.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Bonus mosaic of the Bronze Horse line shortly after operations began:

Challenges received:
  • Each railroad must cross two roads
  • Build a massive trunk and branch rail line
  • All rail must be interconnected (Except for railroads shaped like giant :dong:s)
  • Develop the Island towns
  • Turn Devonport into a sprawling, polluted hellhole of the pacific
  • Tiles can only be moved 1 level per project
  • Turn the smallest hobbit village (Hunua, Pop 13.) into a bustling metropolis.
  • Build AKL (Auckland International Airport) and run Air New Zealand.
  • Local routes only through the Hunua and Waitakere ranges.
  • No trees may be felled on Little Barrier Island
  • Sort out mod dependencies to allow a playable download.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Nov 3, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I got a question. Does this game do the same dumb thing as OTTD where goods are worth more the further they're shipped, even if there is a closer, more ready source of supply?

Cause its really stupid that some factory will pay $$$$$ for widgets shipped clear across the map when there is a Widget Foundry a mile away from them and they'll only pay $$ for those (identical) widgets.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Yes, afraid so. I think that's a sacrifice to the playability of the game, because it wouldn't be much fun if the optimal choice was a 10 square long railroad. It's logical that a company transporting over long distances will charge more, but the game diverges from real life because the industries must accept unlimited quantities of goods, instead of picking the cheapest ones.

The competitive advantage a short line has in game is that the short line will see more frequent trains, which means a better station rating, which in turn means that the industry will allocate more cargo to your station.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Bah, I don't know why it annoys me, its a sensible gameplay concession, but it does.

Why not just have the map generator (or premade maps) ensure that resources are adequately separated from what they need? But I guess that would require more carefully designed maps (hard to randomly generate) with fewer individual businesses to link up. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robhol
Oct 9, 2012
Is that why I've never been able to turn a profit in OTTD? Every now and then I try to play that game and I always go bankrupt within a year or two because the short lines I make always lose money. If you're actually supposed to start with lines that are as long as possible rather than as short as possible then that seems like really poor game design for how unintuitive it is.

• Locked thread