Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

You should give OpenTTD a try one of these days, though the better track options in Locomotion might have spoiled it for you. If I could just have OpenTTD with Locomotion's better track system, I'd just be in love. Too bad Sawyer (or Atari?) wouldn't let fans modify Locomotion like Transport Tycoon Deluxe. Given what OpenTTD is like, just Imagine what OpenLocomo could've been. :allears:

Keep wanting to dig into the scenario, but at the same time I want to sit and wait to see what you do!
Maybe someone can just combine OpenTTD and OpenRCT now that they're both out there. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

You should give OpenTTD a try one of these days, though the better track options in Locomotion might have spoiled it for you. If I could just have OpenTTD with Locomotion's better track system, I'd just be in love. Too bad Sawyer (or Atari?) wouldn't let fans modify Locomotion like Transport Tycoon Deluxe. Given what OpenTTD is like, just Imagine what OpenLocomo could've been. :allears:

Keep wanting to dig into the scenario, but at the same time I want to sit and wait to see what you do!

I am somewhat disappointed you didn't go for OpenLoco instead of OpenLocomo.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Guys, guys.

LocomOpen.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Community Locomotion

Cocomo :v:

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

It's not quite as important now as it was early on, but I wanted to show some of the buildings that are around the place, as a guide to what we can use our towns for, and also because Locomotion also has a variety of cool buildings.

Stations have a catchment distance of 4 tiles. If you want to see if the location will accept a cargo without building a road or rails, you can mouse over them to see some transit related info.

Here's some that a typical town has. It's a safe assumption that buildings produce passengers and mail in proportion to what they accept. If you add up the values of the buildings in your station catchment area, and they equal more than one, it will pay for that type of cargo to be delivered there.

Small towns have proportionally more cottages. These little apartment buildings are quite ubiquitous.

Some buildings come in in a few varieties of colour and even size. These buildings are technically the same type.

Thees offices are the most common for the first part of the game. If you have a group of them, you can often start shipping food to that town.

Some pillock has knocked down the Auckland courthouse and replaced it with a generic office building, but here's what it looked like in 1900.

Churches don't deal in freight goods, but give your passenger lines a boost.

This cathedral is a mod building that accepts passengers and mail all by itself. It's quite hard to find places that accept mail in the early game, and low mail ratings can lead to low ratings with the local authority. Therefore it's potentially quite useful.

There are a couple of concert halls around the map.

Not to many of these to be seen, but they appear to be a useful source of passengers.

This is the first new building to be introduced. we can expect lots more new types as time goes on.

An enterprising local authority has built the Auckland harbour bridge 49 years early! Pity about the 24km/h speed limit, but it's still faster than going round.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Nov 15, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Coincidentally to our talk of Train Fever, its now 75% off on Steam for this week.

And yeah, if Locomotion is anything like OTTD, the town AI does not hesitate to bridge everything.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
Speaking of AI, I dug out my old install of Locomotion and found this:

Can you tell it runs on the RCT engine? :v:

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

SupSuper posted:

Jesus Christ :stonklol:

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

ultrabindu posted:

Jesus Christ :stonklol:

That's the Locomotion AI for you. I think they get some serious discounts on elevated rail and the result ain't pretty.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

SupSuper posted:

Oh boy, spaghetti!

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

SupSuper posted:

Looks like one of the car rides from RCT2, or someone going crazy with the transport train.

Can you expand towns like in OTTD, using 3x3 grids of road? It was always fun to me when I played multiplayer to set up big airports and merge towns into huge metropolises while everyone else built trains.

I now realize I was the moneymaker in the company for the model train kits.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Tyty posted:

Looks like one of the car rides from RCT2, or someone going crazy with the transport train.

Can you expand towns like in OTTD, using 3x3 grids of road? It was always fun to me when I played multiplayer to set up big airports and merge towns into huge metropolises while everyone else built trains.

I now realize I was the moneymaker in the company for the model train kits.

I see no reason why not, if you did that and established a few lines near it it would probably experience quite a boom. I think the main thing that limits town growth is having a line that has a bad rating or fails to move any passengers/cargo.

The Opponent has made their debut now, and lets just say that I'm very glad we didn't go for 8 of them...

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

1910-1913: Competition
Not the Locomotion Soundtrack - Talkeries, 1909
This is where the play music by era setting falls apart. We're stuck with those three songs until 1920, I think. As far as I know no-one was recording music in New Zealand at the time, although a lot was being imported from England. I doubt ragtime was ever particularly popular in NZ at this time anyway, popular music was probably more like marches, music hall, light opera, and folk music.

Click here to name a vehicle!

First up this year is our Bote division. In an effort to make our services to Waiheke Island more convenient than rowing out in a dinghy, we set up a dock in a town directly accross the gulf and retask our old one to perform a frequent back and forth service. HMS Enterprise remains on the old route, but won't wait for a full load any more, which will increase frequency but runs the risk of occasionally making a trip with no passengers aboard.

When I did the buildings rundown, I noticed that we weren't covering the cathedral, which has the useful property of accepting mail. I extend the Auckland station to cover it, and there's immediate results, as all that mail we've been hauling around becomes a paying commodity.

Howick town's growth opens up a usefull option to us.

Finally, we have competition! Proprietor Evelyn Eggburt.

The new company starts with a bang.

Something to celebrate.

Scrooge eyes up Great Barrier Island. The terrain connecting the two towns is mountainous.

Our longest tunnel yet.

Seems legitimate, if a little American, but the driver must supply it out of his own pocket. :wotwot:

A former carpenter has joined the workforce, presumably.

We continue in our task to make Devonport a sprawling hellhole.

I asked for an opponent with high intelligence and low aggressiveness and competitiveness and this is what I get!?

Mlle Eggburt doesn't waste any time!

Dammit! :arghfist:

While looking on in horror is natural, We have to get back to business. Our truck line has actually been working really well, but the farm still produces way more than we can handle.

I try to develop the station into a roll-in roll-out form, but the drivers stick to their old ways. :smith:

Land developers near Tuakau note our continued interest, resulting in a spec building boom.

Further developments on Waiheke. McDuck takes advantage of the Isthmus to create a ship service to both sides of the Island.

While McDuck is setting it the new line, A local shipwright moves into the steam age! :woop:

The Clipper order is immediately cancelled and replaced with one of the new steamboats.

Going into the new year, our older trains undergo a complete refurbishment.

Our trucks aren't always queued everywhere this side of the black stump. Here's what they look like when things are flowing smoothly.

The new buses have broken in nicely.

The Fhtagn must be building a service, as the monthly profit is lifting from the minimum.

The Waiuku River has more closely placed towns suitable for the new ferries.

The river is full of shallows and requires a detailed route and Scrooge's most skilled captain.

The new captain departs the dock, heading straight for the far bank of the inlet, only swerving out of the way at the last minute. Nothing about the new boat inspires confidence, but how else will the citizens of Waiuku make it across in time to see the brass band take to the rotunda or admire the results of the ploughing competition?

It seems the new route is financially viable.

Meanwhile, the Waiheke Island North Coast service has run it's paying passengers. Sometimes vehicles fail to collect passengers on their first run, so this notice gets delayed a bit.

It's not always burst boilers or radiators that stop the services. A galley fire means Campbell Newman's boat has been stopped.

Workhorse the Bronze Horse finally has it's engine overhauled.

More grain carriers are bought.

The East coast has been isolated so far. Remember how there was a little remarked upon exemption to the combined network clause? Mighty engineering works take place.

:dong:

A rapid, but satisfying ride.

Meanwhile, in Howick

Howick is becoming a major center.

Poor little 3/3 :gonk: That's cruelty to locomotives, Eggburt.

We try improve the flow to the inwards goods in Tuakau.

And in a cunning, underhanded move, Scrooge extends his tram service to steal passengers off Burgundy Transport in Remuera.

:argh: Curse you, Eggburt! New Zealand's first skyscraper going up in Howick.

Thanks for picking a colour completly indistinguishable from ours, Burgundy Transport.

Frankly, the rise of Burgundy transport is meteoric. While they do not threaten our existence, we'll have to work hard to retain our place as premier transport hauliers of Auckland.

With a mere two years of work, they already have a number of lines in areas that have not seen our presence yet.

A number of small lines in the north and west support their direct cometition to our lines.

But the year ends on a positive note for Scrooge, with a visit from an agent from one of Europe's premier locomotive makers.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Nov 22, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

You could always change our color. :v:

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

But we had it first!! Might put it to the vote. I'm still really disappointed that I couldn't name our rival after one of the other company submissions, I really thought you could do that.

On a side note, our trim colour finally showed up on the sides of the buses.:yay:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Wasn't Burgundy located in eastern France? What are they doing here?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Clearly they are exiled irredentists, waiting for the moment to throw off the shackles of the third republic! When that moment comes, they will save drastically on transport costs by using a fleet of steam ferries and clippers to cross the world and reclaim their destiny.

Just in case you aren't joking or English isn't your native language, It's a dark reddish-brown colour.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

according to a source that cannot be wrong the name for the color comes from the color of wines from burgundy. so thats nice

cool to see tracks through devonport, i hope they get some like slaughterhouses or something as this grimdark alt history marches on

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

oystertoadfish posted:

according to a source that cannot be wrong the name for the color comes from the color of wines from burgundy. so thats nice

cool to see tracks through devonport, i hope they get some like slaughterhouses or something as this grimdark alt history marches on

Also famous for exporting groups of 150250 macemen. At least famous for me.

They might build tenements. Or worse, bungalows

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 22, 2015

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I'd better not play this, Transport Tycoon/OpenTTD is like crack to me. I can waste DAYS just building intricate transport networks. Enjoying the LP so far, mind you.

What's the purpose of the loop, though? Is it just for funsies? Or is it to extend the route because the price boost on delivered goods is based on distance travelled rather than straight-line distance between origin and end stations?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Its because I was challenged to play with all rail as a single interconnected network, but someone else allowed an exception for :dong: shaped routes. It was fun to find a way to force the train to take the loop.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Have fun explaining that at a board meeting. :v:

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

What, the same board that approves all these vehicle names? Shouldn't be too much of a problem. We have a board shadowy financier cabal meeting tonight anyway.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Vote for any of the bolded items below!

Matters Arising: A review of the plans of the ferrite, lignite and steel routes planned for the Glenbrook steel-mill over the next year. Unanimously approved by board.

Inward Correspondence: Bill from Mrs Phelps for supply of black cloaks and hoods.

Motion One: Moved that, in order to prevent such a fiasco as the 1909 meeting, in the event of any meeting proceeding for longer than 3 hours, the host shall provide tea and chocolate digestive biscuits for the board. Mover: Shadowy figure on the far left. Seconder: Shadowy figure two from the right. Carried unanimously.

Motion Two: Lomo has a realistic but annoying feature. When a new vehicle is introduced, there is a running in period which has low reliability. After a year, new vehicles will have the full reliability. The 5/6 at the moment has a reliability of 66%, which will cut the first engines useful life down by a number of years. This is a long term policy that will be followed until countermanded. The board decided to upgrade:
A) Immediately! (66% reliability)
B) In one year. (75% reliability)
C) When the current engines wear out. (75% Reliability, but delayed about 5-7 years)

Motion Three: After due discussion, the matter of which trains to replace with the new model was settled. The committee approved:
A) All of them!
B) Freight trains only
C) Passenger Trains only
D) None.
E) Motion from the floor (Suggest which ones to upgrade)

Motion Four: In order to develop our long term outlook, it is clear that our efforts should be focused more tightly. Moved that we concentrate on:
A) Freight
B) Passengers
C) Competing with Burgundy Transport
D) Motion from the floor (Specify, it needs to be a major thing to do)

Motion Five: Mr McDuck has stated intentions to completely dominate one of these sectors. Which one shall it be?

Central Auckland's major population centre, with some secondary industries. Includes the CBD, Howick, and the closely packed western suburbs. Already very crowded.

North Shore: Mostly small towns with a few processing plants and sawmills. The coast has the potential to become a very large urban zone.

South Auckland: The industrial powerhouse and second population centre. If we choose this area, we'll track lots of raw materials into the steel mill, factory, brewery and food prcessors.

West Auckland: A mix of towns and industry focusing on lumber and containing most of Auclands wine industry. Has several semi-developed towns.

Hauraki Gulf: If we choose this area, the maritime division will come to the fore and we'll focus on growing the island towns and ports on the mainland. There are also grape, agricultural and mine industries on Waiheke that can be exploited.

East Coast: Sparsely populated and mountainous, containing mostly forestry and agriculture. Coal mines in the south.

Franklin County: Flat and spacious, with widely spaced towns and a surfeit of farm industries. The regional center is Pukekohe.

Awhitu Peninsula: Remote and full of small hills and inlets, this area has mostly been ignored so far. Lots of farms, some forestry and the Glenbrook steel mill.

Attachment:
Comparison report for locomotives:

1913 Price:Special: $4156

1913 Price:Northern: $4220

1913 Price: SLM 3/3: $4156
All cost $54/month to run.

(Price information is current.)

Other business: Shadowy Figure with the squeaky voice reported that the date of the Shadowy Cabal v. District Registrar's Department rugby game has been fixed for the 23rd.

The secret date and location for the next secret meeting was fixed at 31st February, 1917, back of Poil's treehut, dress code black tie, shadowy hoods and capes optional. Password "Swordfish"

Vote for any or all of the bolded items above

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Nov 23, 2015

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
The password is always Swordfish.

Why are CYOAs creeping in here?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Dunno. They seem to have been common for as long as I've been here. But I need some guidance so that I avoid playing my generic game, and I like goon runs.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Chowick is growing nicely, so dominate the CBD!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
AAA, Hauraki Gulf.

(Immediately, All of them, Freight)

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Commence heavy freight haulage this decade. Passenger service, like the male teat, is neither functional nor ornamental. Concentrate our efforts on South Auckland.

Upgrade all locomotives, in one year to reap maximum reliability gains. Let the other lines be paid beta-testers for Baldwin and his ilk.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
B) In one year.
A) All of them!
A) Freight
South Auckland

A heavy focus on industry and freight. Both in location and in purpose. Transporting people shouldn't be ignored by any means, but the focus should be on the heavy materials.
Waiting a year on replacing the engines to allow for greater long term use as the kinks are knocked out of them. That said, once the problems are solved, you should replace our already aging engines.

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013

Zebrin posted:

B) In one year.
A) All of them!
A) Freight
South Auckland

A heavy focus on industry and freight. Both in location and in purpose. Transporting people shouldn't be ignored by any means, but the focus should be on the heavy materials.
Waiting a year on replacing the engines to allow for greater long term use as the kinks are knocked out of them. That said, once the problems are solved, you should replace our already aging engines.

This shadowy figure has the right idea.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Zebrin posted:

B) In one year.
A) All of them!
A) Freight
South Auckland

Shadow-seconded

e: or thirded. I guess. Whatever.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
AAAttractive property for sale on North Shore

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Zebrin posted:

B) In one year.
A) All of them!
A) Freight
South Auckland

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Loxbourne posted:

Upgrade all locomotives, in one year to reap maximum reliability gains. Let the other lines be paid beta-testers for Baldwin and his ilk.
They're not paid, they're paying for the privelege!

Zebrin posted:

Most of our engines are quite modern. The 'Refurbs' that they got in the last update were actually selling the locomotive and replacing it with the same type, so our oldest loco at the moment is the passenger line to Hunua, which is about 4 years old.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Jaguars! posted:

They're not paid, they're paying for the privelege!

Most of our engines are quite modern. The 'Refurbs' that they got in the last update were actually selling the locomotive and replacing it with the same type, so our oldest loco at the moment is the passenger line to Hunua, which is about 4 years old.

Replace the old engine with the new addition immediately, the rest after One Year.

I have no strong opinions on the other options.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I think I have most of the votes I'm going to get, but voting will end about this time tomorrow.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
BAA North Shore

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

BAA Franklin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Deadmeat5150 posted:

The password is always Swordfish.

Why are CYOAs creeping in here?

It makes it a bit more interesting to read if you know/get the feeling that your discussions can influence how to make things go terribly wrong for the player. Since most people who LP games like this have the basics of building a network etc down

• Locked thread