Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~
Nerds go on-and-on about how great open source software is, but when you actually try to use it it sucks balls. It's buggy, often lacks many features that closed source proprietary software uses, and mainly doesn't work well on a wide range of hardware, especially newer hardware. You often get esoteric error messages because some driver you're using isn't compatible with the software. Linux is notorious for this, and, if you manage to actually install linux on a machine made post-2008 you still get all of the stupid non-functional open-source software that comes with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
linux does suck but good open source software:

qbittorent >>> utorrent bitcoin miner
notepad++
vlc
7zip

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Just fix the bugs yourself, the source code is right there! Or are you saying you're too stupid to do so?

Also lol if you use linux as your primary desktop OS instead of hidden away on a server where it belongs

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
I used to think OpenOffice was the poo poo but now I realize it's just poo poo (also I'm on the shitter right now).

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

SweetKarma posted:

Nerds go on-and-on about how great open source software is, but when you actually try to use it it sucks balls. It's buggy, often lacks many features that closed source proprietary software uses, and mainly doesn't work well on a wide range of hardware, especially newer hardware. You often get esoteric error messages because some driver you're using isn't compatible with the software. Linux is notorious for this, and, if you manage to actually install linux on a machine made post-2008 you still get all of the stupid non-functional open-source software that comes with it.

all of those nerds don't know how programming works

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost
all software sucks, it's all just buggy loving poo poo, all of it. except the stuff that runs the space station or wahtever, that poo poo is good. but the poo poo you use, it sucks, it all loving sucks.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

rabble rabble posted:

all software sucks, it's all just buggy loving poo poo, all of it. except the stuff that runs the space station or wahtever, that poo poo is good. but the poo poo you use, it sucks, it all loving sucks.

this guy gets it

The Bible
May 8, 2010

rabble rabble posted:

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
At least when I install a new version of windows it recognizes that I have a discrete GPU that was made post-2012. You have an Nvidia GPU? Sucks for you! Here's our lovely patchwork driver that kinda sort-of works on linux.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

SweetKarma posted:

This site would literally (not figuratively) exist without open source software. You're right about some of the errors you get, but mostly, you're just a jackass who doesn't keep up with technology.

Have a nice day!

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

gnarlyhotep posted:

This site would literally (not figuratively) exist without open source software.

that explains a lot

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

gnarlyhotep posted:

This site would literally (not figuratively) exist without open source software. You're right about some of the errors you get, but mostly, you're just a jackass who doesn't keep up with technology.

Have a nice day!

no. richard paid for the bb code

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

gnarlyhotep posted:

This site would literally (not figuratively) exist without open source software.

I can't tell if this is a typo or sarcasm...

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

SweetKarma posted:

I can't tell if this is a typo or sarcasm...

its just wrong

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

no. richard paid for the bb code

Open source doesn't mean free

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Beef Turret posted:

Open source doesn't mean free

fair enough

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Xaris posted:

notepad++
vlc
7zip

I use qbittorrent and it is loving trash

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

gnarlyhotep posted:

Have a nice day!

open source software loving sucks

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
loving noob

yoyodyne
May 7, 2007
Open source is free as in speech; not as in beer.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Xaris posted:

notepad++
vlc
7zip

Better:
uTorrent 2.2.1
Sublime
mpc-hc
winrar

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55P-UHdZ7WI

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

the best computer

GastonEatTheEggs
Nov 7, 2012

Leroy Dennui posted:

I used to think OpenOffice was the poo poo but now I realize it's just poo poo (also I'm on the shitter right now).

LibreOffice > OpenOffice

but for real work you'd use MS Office, or just edit tables with awk and grep commands in the terminal lol

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Planarch posted:

just edit tables with awk and grep commands in the terminal lol

No, only if you were some kind of frankenstein computer robot fuckhead

GastonEatTheEggs
Nov 7, 2012

gnarlyhotep posted:

No, only if you were some kind of frankenstein computer robot fuckhead

please don't dox me

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Planarch posted:

please don't dox me

get help

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

his mom must have been open source

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

Planarch posted:

LibreOffice > OpenOffice

but for real work you'd use MS Office, or just edit tables with awk and grep commands in the terminal lol

Just program your own word processor in C. Once you're finished, share your lovely code with the world.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

SweetKarma posted:

Just program your own word processor in C. Once you're finished, share your lovely code with the world.

Good thing you weren't Dennis Ritchie, or we'd all be communicating on tin cans, you dumb rear end

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

Xaris posted:

notepad++
vlc
7zip

deluge > qbittorrent
vim > notepad++
mpd > vlc
unzip(1) > 7zip

/thread

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

gnarlyhotep posted:

Good thing you weren't Dennis Ritchie, or we'd all be communicating on tin cans, you dumb rear end

Good thing I'm not Dennis Ritchie because he's dead and the world doesn't even give a care.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
GoonOffice > LibreOffice > OpenOffice > Microsoft Office

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

nosl posted:

/thread

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
i'm poor so i can't afford to buy software

open source software provides an important service to me, a poor, allowing me to update my resume and make a budget sheet in excel

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

SweetKarma posted:

Good thing I'm not Dennis Ritchie because he's dead and the world doesn't even give a care.

Explain to me how any of this would be possible without C

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Why do people use open/libreoffice when google docs exists?

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

moller posted:

I have recently started to use google docs and it is very nice

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

The best software is pirated proprietary software. I call it 'forced open source software'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

moller posted:

THE CLOUD

• Locked thread