Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
Heh, I thought this show was going to be one season. Is a second one confirmed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Immortan posted:

Heh, I thought this show was going to be one season. Is a second one confirmed?

There's no reason to not keep going, the first season has a real ambiguous ending and you never even meet the Man in the High Castle!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

How does the Amazon show green-lighting work? I watched this because I got it for free with Prime, so it didn't drive any new sale from me or anyone else with a Prime account. There are no commercial breaks in the show. Are people actually renting it, paying the couple of bucks for each episode? How are they going to decide whether it was a successful run -- just reviews?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sagebrush posted:

How does the Amazon show green-lighting work? I watched this because I got it for free with Prime, so it didn't drive any new sale from me or anyone else with a Prime account. There are no commercial breaks in the show. Are people actually renting it, paying the couple of bucks for each episode? How are they going to decide whether it was a successful run -- just reviews?

Same as Netflix originals. The idea is that people will sign up for Prime in part to watch Amazon‐exclusive shows.

iHaveNoImagination
Jun 16, 2006
grandpa always said "If you ain't folding winning hands, you are playing too many"

Sagebrush posted:

I'm on someone else's prime account and I upgraded for the week to watch it and didn't cancel right away. This post actually reminded me to cancel. It cost me like $7.92.

I'm guessing a lot people will sign up to watch and forget they signed up and keep their account active. It's easy to forget since prime only bills once a year instead of monthly.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

The second season should basically be Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

mike12345 posted:

Wolfenstein mini series would be cool as poo poo, get a Yaitanes & DeKnight team up.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
Season 2 needs captain winters

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

mike12345 posted:

Wolfenstein: The New Order would be more appropriate (and I made the same joke a few posts up :v: ) but I'd love a Wolfenstein series all the same.

Hell, they could mine the two other books I mentioned in an earlier post if they run out of plot ideas, they're both essentially written as if they take place in the same "world" as High Castle.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Joel De La Fuente coulda fooled me that he wasn't Japanese. Or maybe he is?

I'm going to guess possibly Filipino based on his name and appearance.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

How are they going to decide whether it was a successful run -- just reviews?

Yes, and Man in the High Castle has been inarguably successful. Slate put a pretty fine point on it in their review. They called the show "watchable", pointed out that it was damning the show with faint praise, then continued that this still makes High Castle the second best show made by amazon out of about a dozen greenlights and several dozen pilots.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

30.5 Days posted:

...this still makes High Castle the second best show made by amazon out of about a dozen greenlights and several dozen pilots.

Yeah, what I've heard from people who work in media development is that Amazon really struggled with how to develop their original content at first, in a way Netflix did not. Netflix took the prestige drama tact of affording auteur showrunners a fair degree of freedom (House of Cards, Orange is the New Black, etc.), where Amazon didn't. Amazon was apparently somewhat notorious for shopping their pilots to death with excessive notes, and the result wasn't particularly good content.

Both companies relied on analytics about viewership to make decisions, but Netflix did it more confidently (they knew the intersection of, say, people who watch political intrigue content and people who like Kevin Spacey movies, and knew HoC was a reasonable investment on the premise alone. Amazon funded a sort of online pilot season before committing series orders.)

After Netflix original content blew up, I'm told Amazon became a little more like them...Transparent is a decidedly auteur project by Jill Soloway; Man in the High Castle afforded Frank Spotnitz way more control, probably because it was EP'ed by Ridley Scott.

Ekkerates
Sep 26, 2013
Regarding Hitler vis-a-vis The Man in The High Castle. I'm not quite so sure why everyone was so immediately ready to assume that the resistance was getting the film reels to him, there is nothing revealed which suggests that connection between them except for perhaps the fact that he has a lot of films. The presence of the films in his castle can be explained quite simply and was stated in the show: The SS are hunting the films for him and have assassinated large numbers of the resistance to get their hands on them. To assume that he is running some sort of double-bluff to get them to him through the resistance is to make a giant leap of faith, completely unsupported by anything we see on screen. The fact that Hitler lives in a castle high in the mountains seems to be what we refer to as a paralel, when two opposing characters share a characteristics. Hitler is interested in the films, The Man is interested in the films, The Man probably does not live in a castle but is refered to as staying in one whereas Hitler is not referred to in reference to a castle although he does.

There has also been some speculation that Hitler or The Man in The High Castle are planning to use the films for interworld travel. While this may be, the much more likely reason, for me at the very least, is that Hitler seeks the films as an old man interested in what might have been. Whereas The Man, quite similarly to the book's use of the wandering novel, seeks to use the films to spread the idea that what is now does not have to be. The mission of the resistance is ultimately not based on assassination or sabotage, but rather ultimately spreading discontent within the population. Preventing this mission is another probable reason for why Hitler seeks the films for himself.

Ekkerates fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Dec 3, 2015

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Xenomrph posted:

Hell, they could mine the two other books I mentioned in an earlier post if they run out of plot ideas, they're both essentially written as if they take place in the same "world" as High Castle.

After talking with a magical clay pot (possibly God), Frank starts seeing Hitler with metallic eyes and teeth and a prosthetic hand. He then uses the power of the films to become the next fuhrer in a rigged game of lottery. At the end, Brian Eno explodes his head with a musical laser, but it was all a dream of a dying John Smith's son.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
The SS start using psychics to predict future crimes. Unfortunately, since the SS are constantly doing evil poo poo, the psychics just scream incoherently until they are culled. Afterwards, everyone discusses what a stupid, STUPID idea it was.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Ekkerates posted:

Regarding Hitler vis-a-vis The Man in The High Castle.

Thank you for a bit of sanity and I completely agree.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

This show is dope but Frank Frink is a stupid name

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Ekkerates posted:

Regarding Hitler

They kept saying that every time they get The Man a film reel, he gives them prescient actionable intelligence. Why would Hitler give insight as how to attack his regime? And where is this info coming from? Other films maybe? Are there a bunch of really mundane films about what rout a car is going to drive, or a Nazi agents travel schedule? I kinda think the Heisenberg Device might not be the Bomb, but some way to see into other worlds. Like people use the term 'a-bomb' a few times, and Heisenberg is more well known for other things than the German nuclear work.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Moose-Alini posted:

...Heisenberg is more well known for other things than the German nuclear work.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Werner_Heisenberg

Quantum mechanics so obviously time travel and portals to other worlds, not bombs.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

r0ck0 posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Werner_Heisenberg

Quantum mechanics so obviously time travel and portals to other worlds, not bombs.

That's what my mind went to at least!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Moose-Alini posted:

They kept saying that every time they get The Man a film reel, he gives them prescient actionable intelligence. Why would Hitler give insight as how to attack his regime?

Because he’s obsessed with the films and doesn’t balk at trading a few underlings’ lives for them or whatever.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Platystemon posted:

Because he’s obsessed with the films and doesn’t balk at trading a few underlings’ lives for them or whatever.

Man what a jerk.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Platystemon posted:

Could be, but would he even know anything specific like that? That's crazy level micro managing.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

r0ck0 posted:

Man what a jerk.

I dunno, he has some good ideas.

iHaveNoImagination
Jun 16, 2006
grandpa always said "If you ain't folding winning hands, you are playing too many"

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I dunno, he has some good ideas.

The dude had lots of good ideas - it's too bad the good always die young like Scott Wieland.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
I thought this show was pretty great. There's almost like a dream-like quality to it. There's probably multiple meanings, but so far it seems the man in the high castle is Hitler. The last two episodes were amazing.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

insider posted:

I think there are extremely strong hints that Tagomi's assistant is eponymous character. His burns on this body and saying he was from Nagaski, his comments about Tagomi being too good for 'this' world, etc. Too much weird stuff about him, but I would have to watch the series a second time to really get them all written down and I don't really feel like doing that right now.

Ooh, I like this theory.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Super Aggro Crag posted:

This show is dope but Frank Frink is a stupid name
He was Frank Fink in the book (but called himself Frink to hide his Jewish roots) so it's not so bad.

Ekkerates
Sep 26, 2013
Also, I don't think driving schedules being shared is really a relevant point, since I thought it was already stated in the show that Mr. Worse Than Hitler leaked them to the resistance in an attempt to get Obergrubsfuhrer Smith Assassinated so they could replace him with someone more sympathetic to the plot to start a war with Japan? In fact, I don't think we've seen information used in the show which could be attributed to TMiTHC.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Just finished 1x10, and all I can say is someone is WAY too proud of "Ranger Reich"

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Moose-Alini posted:

Could be, but would he even know anything specific like that? That's crazy level micro managing.

RL Hitler was kinda known for "crazy level micro managing" and considering the stakes for him (the films are after all the reason why he is successful in this alternate universe) it would make sense. For the same reason he wouldn't care about supporting a resistence movement which will never be a serious threat in his eyes but they increase the chances of him getting his hands on the films even if some of "his" people get killed.
Someone asked why he wouldn't use just "his" people for it. Well, there are two good reasons:
1) He might not be able to fully trust his own people and thus it's a risk to rely just on them
2) His own people don't have access to the Japanese territories.
The 2nd point is especially important because the Japanese are also aware of the films and hunt them so the Resistence is probably the only reliable way for Hitler to get his hands on all the films in their territories.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

LinkesAuge posted:

RL Hitler was kinda known for "crazy level micro managing" and considering the stakes for him (the films are after all the reason why he is successful in this alternate universe) it would make sense. For the same reason he wouldn't care about supporting a resistence movement which will never be a serious threat in his eyes but they increase the chances of him getting his hands on the films even if some of "his" people get killed.
Someone asked why he wouldn't use just "his" people for it. Well, there are two good reasons:
1) He might not be able to fully trust his own people and thus it's a risk to rely just on them
The 2nd point is especially important because the Japanese are also aware of the films and hunt them so the Resistence is probably the only reliable way for Hitler to get his hands on all the films in their territories.

Good point. I'm thinking especially with the super obvious shot of the High Castle and the Man within, they are hedging their bets. If there's no season 2 it's Hitler, if there is, well introduce someone else.

Ekkerates posted:

Also, I don't think driving schedules being shared is really a relevant point, since I thought it was already stated in the show that Mr. Worse Than Hitler leaked them to the resistance in an attempt to get Obergrubsfuhrer Smith Assassinated so they could replace him with someone more sympathetic to the plot to start a war with Japan? In fact, I don't think we've seen information used in the show which could be attributed to TMiTHC.

Yeah not the Smith attack, but the resistance said a couple times they need that intelligence from the reels and have done important things like take out agents with it. I don't remember exactly what she said though. I thought that's where the Smith thing would end up going but guess not.

Moose-Alini fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Dec 4, 2015

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

LinkesAuge posted:

But if he doesn't trust his people, why tell his people to get the films? He told both sides to do, thus ensuring that the people who he doesn't trust have a higher chance of getting them and making it harder for both sides to get ahold of anything (after all, telling both sides to get the films is exactly why that whole stupid Yakuza plot happened).

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Guys, I'm up to ep 7 and I'm confused by something.

How did the Trade Minister know about Juliana having a sister? I can't recall them having that conversation - am I meant to just assume he knew because he was a spy?

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

LinkesAuge posted:

Also his own people want him dead

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

WastedJoker posted:

How did the Trade Minister know about Juliana having a sister? I can't recall them having that conversation - am I meant to just assume he knew because he was a spy?

Did Kido mention it?

It’s the kind of thing that would come up if Togami did a background check, anyway.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

WastedJoker posted:

Kidou mentioned it to him in passing, IIRC.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
Finished this last night, A+, would watch again.

In contrast to most of this thread I really liked how slow the series was, made it feel more like real life to me, where things happen slowly. The only time in the whole series I went "Wow that's loving stupid" is when Joe & Juliana knocked the Marshal out in that abandoned building and then didn't either take his guns or, you know, loving kill him immediately since he was 100% out for their blood and they knew it. I guess that was trying to show that "they're not killers" but I just had a hard time with it. I'm not a killer either, and I don't know how I'd react in that situation, but I'm pretty sure I'd bash that motherfucker's brains out with the 2x4 just to make certain I didn't end up an eyeless corpse hanging from a telephone pole.

Eh, the scene where Ed gets caught trying to melt down the gun was pretty loving dumb too, I've just finished the Wire so I was like, "Storm drain, bro, storm drain, didn't you learn anything from Wee Bey & Bird?" Of course I knew that poo poo was going down as soon as Frank handed the gun to him, so I figured something dumb like that was coming.

As has already been mentioned, the Japanese characters really stole the show. The Chief Inspector was kickin' rad and I want to go chill with Trade Minister Tagomi in his Zen garden and talk about philosophy. They also did a really good job casting that unbelievably evil motherfucker Reinhard Heydrich, that actor just oozed a kind of jolly monstrousness that sold the poo poo out of his character. I loved when Smith said, "You are the man with the iron heart," and Heydrich got that delighted look on his face. He also sold the gently caress out of "Oh poo poo I'm hosed" when he answered the phone in the cabin in the woods. "Mein Fuhrer!"

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

30.5 Days posted:

But if he doesn't trust his people, why tell his people to get the films? He told both sides to do, thus ensuring that the people who he doesn't trust have a higher chance of getting them and making it harder for both sides to get ahold of anything (after all, telling both sides to get the films is exactly why that whole stupid Yakuza plot happened).

My assumption is just that while he can't trust his own people 100% it's still better than not using them at all. I will admit that using both sides can have the opposite effect but there is a certain logic to it and some adverse is simply something he accepts in the bigger picture.
Imo it's hard to judge how much sense it makes without knowing the full history behind the Resistence and how Hitler got to use them and to which extent. We also don't know too much about the internal Nazi politics at that point in time or what might have led Hitler to use both groups.
For me the bigger "plot hole" is the fact that a lot of people seem to be aware of the films and yet they mostly seem to be some sort of "side quest" for the major powers which is kinda weird. You'd think the "power" of the films would lead to them being treated as THE "super weapon".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

LinkesAuge posted:

For me the bigger "plot hole" is the fact that a lot of people seem to be aware of the films and yet they mostly seem to be some sort of "side quest" for the major powers which is kinda weird. You'd think the "power" of the films would lead to them being treated as THE "super weapon".

Whats weird to me is how many people know about the films, how much resources are being put into finding them by all the factions, and whenever anyone (Juliana or Joe) ask if anyone has seen whats on the films everyone just shrugs their shoulders and go 'none of my business'. Aside from Juliana and Joe (and later Frank) nobody else has ever been interested to see whats on them? I can maybe buy into german and japanese agents not looking because they follow the 'need to know/top secret' classification stuff... but the resistance? Nobody wants to take a peek?

And when the one resistance guy examines the films to verify them... whats he looking for exactly? All the films are different, its not like hes seen them all and can identify every scene and thing in them that holding a magnifying glass up to one or two cells hes going to be able to say for certain if the film is what they are looking for, genuine, or if its some fake nazi film or some guys home movie.

• Locked thread