Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Shageletic posted:

Wasn't the "thinness" of the world's setting a big theme of the book though? It's been ages since I read it, but I thought the implausibility of that universe, compared to the one we currently reside in was the thing driving the plot?

I'm pretty sure one of the protagonists in the book explicitly briefly sees a vision of our universe (or one a lot closer to ours).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

akulanization posted:

For the nazis to bomb DC they would have to have already won the war pretty much. Either by somehow developing an ICBM in the forties

This bit isn't all that implausible, actually, since it's basically a scaled-up V2 -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aggregate_%28rocket_family%29#A9.2FA10

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

radical meme posted:

Or did you? Looked like a castle in the alps to me.

Fun fact, in the book the man in the high castle is Hitler. And you never get to see him either (or even be on the same continent as him).

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Pierogi posted:

That's an interesting interpretation (or you don't know what you are talking about).

You're right. I really need to re-read that book.

In the book, Hitler is dying, and it's likely World War 3 will ensue when he does die. Hitler's historical chill out spot was https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berghof_%28residence%29 - literally high up, pretty much a castle. I'd forgotten that the Grasshopper Lies Heavy author's house was specifically referred to as such in the book, though. Sorry guys! :ohdear:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Brother Friendship posted:

I rewatched a scene from the finale and I saw something that cleared up a question I saw earlier in the thread.

1x10
whereas every other instance is a different universe (Russia rules the world/San Fransico is nuked). This link means that Hitler is actually in complete control of the Resistance and he used Rudolph to flush out Heydrick's betrayal to secure his grasp on power internally.

No, 'it was Soviet propaganda for Joseph Stalin from 1954.' That's all he says. It may or may not be our timeline - he died in 1953, but Kruschchev didn't denounce him until 1956 and he remained basically a saint up until them - but then neither is Grasshopper from the books. Either way, the Soviet Union had newsreel in the 50s and also English-language propaganda; it's not claiming it was US newsreel praising the guy.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 15, 2015

• Locked thread