Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

holy poo poo, i'm watching the crap out this show, when i get home.

Shageletic posted:

Wasn't the "thinness" of the world's setting a big theme of the book though? It's been ages since I read it, but I thought the implausibility of that universe, compared to the one we currently reside in was the thing driving the plot?

if i remember correctly, authenticity is portrayed almost like a meta-physical thing in the book. people feel, that the world around them is somehow wrong , but they can't put their finger on what exactly is wrong. at least not in detail.

i don't think there is any parallel universe stuff in the book and our world isn't even mentioned once. looks like amazon is making up a completely new plot for the series. calling it now, season 5 is about bizarro landings in bizarro-normandy. season 6 ends with the occupation of bizarro-berlin by american bizarro-GI's :shittydog:

GABA ghoul fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Klaus88 posted:

I'm gonna be that guy, the guy who points out that there was no timeline where the U.S. ends up invaded and occupied, outside of time travels, magic, or scifi tech so advanced it might as well be magic. :jerkbag:

Almost all historians agree that there was a narrow window in '41, where Germany might have been able to break the Soviet Union. If they had won on the Eastern front, any landings by allied forces would have become completely impossible. That gives Germany enough time to do a proper nuclear research project and maybe get the bomb a year or two early.

Also, real life Germany had a delivery platform in the works called "Amerika Bomber". They build two prototypes that could reach the US east coast, but never managed to test them, since they had lost control of the necessary launch site in France by that point in the war.

I mean, it's still a completely improbable scenario, but nuclear weapons and the willingness to annihilate every large city in the US might make it at least somewhat plausible.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

"I hope Hitler wins and I hope he is fine and doesn't get killed. Dimension travelling Hitler is the most interesting character on the show."

- Things I though I would never have to say in my life

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Thom12255 posted:

I wish it explored how the characters changed their entire world view to be good Nazi's when they grew up in America, fought for it and believed in it until DC was nuked. It's like John immediately just became a believer with most of America alongside him. How do you reject everything and change your views so quickly with not even secret repulsion.

I don't think there is anything really interesting to tell there. It probably happened in the same way that post-war Germany turned democratic or Poland turned Stalinist from one day to the next. People are pretty adaptable like that.

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

i think smith is supposed to come across more as an opportunist in this way rather than a hard-bent ideologue of some sort. him trying to save his son is entirely consistent in that regards. i also can't remember whether he gave a "our race is super duper the best" speech or not in the past two seasons to confirm/deny this. but the scene with the atomic bombing of washington seems to imply that this is the case and smith is simply willing to go where the wind blows and gently caress everyone else over for his family

Yeah, I don't really get how exactly Smith's behavior is supposed to be unrealistic. Totalitarian regimes like the Nazis or Stalinists were absolutely packed with some of the worst hypocritical, opportunistic and corrupt people ever. People like Ernst Röhm were openly gay, while still advocating for the extermination of all homosexuals. In their eyes(if they even bothered to think about these cognitive dissonances), these laws didn't apply to the "good ones" like themselves. You can see similar poo poo everyday in the modern Republican party or Trump supporters, people are complicated like that.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

The Gasmask posted:

One of the concerns Rufus Sewell brought up in an interview (and it's something I personally encountered during production) was just how easy it is to get normalized to seeing Nazi imagery everywhere. His was from an actor's perspective, talking about the need to remind himself what the imagery represented, but I want to say the show is pushing for this self-observation in it's viewers as well. Or at least attempting to point out that the characters are so inured to it that it's seriously helped normalize the Nazi beliefs, even if they themselves don't hold them.

E: a personal example of this; I now immediately notice when a swastika is off in design or backwards, and I have a tiny moment of annoyance towards it being wrong. Sure, I had to look at swastikas all day every day for months, and I probably had 20gb of just swastika textures on my machine at any given point, but the speed at which it became just a design concern, and not a symbol, was frightening.

Totally unrelated to swastikas, but I want y'all to know that I'm relaying some of the comments and observations here to the other production artists, and everyone is super super pleased with the overall response. It was a very challenging production at times, and I personally wasn't sure if it was gonna be any good, but this has blown away my expectations.

A cool thing I would have liked to see would have been futurist Nazi uniforms and architecture. Traditional fascism was heavily entangled with futurism and IMO it's a pretty powerful and creepy aesthetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Platystemon posted:

“Useless eater” is a strange term for the Nazis to still be using by the ’60s.

Is Reich territory still suffering from famine? Why not frame euthanasia in “gentler” terms?

It's as dumb as welfare queen tbh

• Locked thread