Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

When my grandkids come to visit they are going to have to beat my latest incredibly well-made and challenging Mario Maker levels before they get to do any poo poo like go to the park or get some ice cream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
Lol 42, youre old as gently caress.

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Tender Bender posted:

When my grandkids come to visit they are going to have to beat my latest incredibly well-made and challenging Mario Maker levels before they get to do any poo poo like go to the park or get some ice cream.

"Mooooooom! Grampa called me a failfag! He won't stop pwning me!"

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Maoist Pussy posted:

I think I would like to become a geriatric superhero that goes around murdering sex tourists in Thailand.

same, except sex workers

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Kuato posted:

If the forums don't get shut down, we'll be seeing a lot more of these threads in the coming decades. SA will be an insulated community of geriatrics in 2030, of 50 and 60-somethings. Will be pretty sweet imo.

I'm 30-something years young and am a heavy drinker so will likely be dead from cirrhosis by then, but it definitely sounds like it'll be therapeutic for the rest of you.

go read the millennial.jpg thread

the future is now

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW

praxis posted:

When I was a kid my grandparents were the most mind-numbingly boring people I knew. Sitting on the front porch watching cars go by? Feeding ducks at the park? METAL DETECTING?!?! That was the perfect way to spend an entire goddamn day. Now I'm 42 and that poo poo makes sense. I'm not to the point where I do any of it yet, but I understand the appeal. Getting old is such bullshit.

i thought they stared out windows and poo poo because they were active and outdoorsy most their lives and have no idea what to do when shut inside all day

in other words this generation's retirement homes are going to be an unending LAN party

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
i hope the op takes all this age criticism to heart and starts becoming younger

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

extra stout posted:

i hope the op takes all this age criticism to heart and starts becoming younger

Yeah I wish someone had said something earlier. Backing this train up is a bitch.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

KiteAuraan posted:

My grandpa sits on the computer all day burning CDs of really lovely music from the 50s and 60s. He rips Youtube videos to MP3s and then burns them and he has like, 20 CDs of that poo poo.

If your grandpa knows how to convert youtube videos into mp3s and then burn the files onto a cd he's better than 80% of the population at any age when it comes to being technologically literate

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Al Nipper posted:

i thought they stared out windows and poo poo because they were active and outdoorsy most their lives and have no idea what to do when shut inside all day

in other words this generation's retirement homes are going to be an unending LAN party

This will probably be literally true since retirement homes are almost always underfunded and all the entertainment they provide is usually decades out of date. We'll all be playing Quake and Half-Life on old overstock Dell computers from the '00's.

I hope virtual reality gets really cheap and prevalent so we'll all just get nutrient slop spoonfed to us while we hug our waifus.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
Nursing homes are going to have massive call of duty/ madden tournaments with insane amounts of poo poo talking. The mario maker guy will get bullied like crazy. Or maybe we will be euthanizing the elderly by then, I don't know. Let's all just die young.

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Baba Ganoush posted:

Old people activities have always appealed to me. I'm going to have a cybernetic eye-patch though so it will all be enhanced.

same but with vertical hold instead of enhance.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

psyopmonkey posted:

Lol 42, youre old as gently caress.

Respect your elders!

I remember playing Everquest and thinking "I cant wait to retire so I could play Everquest all day and night" but the cost for socks must be unbelievable.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Video games in old folks homes will absolutely be true. Now it's all puzzles and bingo and pianos, in 30 years it will be Nintendos and MMOs on dedicated old folks servers.

I recently started cross stitch but all nerd poo poo instead of kittens and Jesus. Now my elbow is locking up. Embrace the decay.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
born 2 be old :corsair:

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Video games in old folks homes will absolutely be true. Now it's all puzzles and bingo and pianos, in 30 years it will be Nintendos and MMOs on dedicated old folks servers.

I recently started cross stitch but all nerd poo poo instead of kittens and Jesus. Now my elbow is locking up. Embrace the decay.

Old people loving love Mario kart and Wii Sports. I dated a girl who managed personnel at 5 different retirement homes and she said after they got Wii's at their activity centers, the old folks were pretty addicted to them, starting Wii Baseball leagues and Mario kart clubs. it was actually kinda cool to hear about

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
lol I wonder if there are any ww2/korea vets playing modern shooters bein like wtf combat rules

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Toadvine posted:

lol I wonder if there are any ww2/korea vets playing modern shooters bein like wtf combat rules

part of the appeal to games is that they give you insight into places and things you wouldn't otherwise know; my dad is a pilot but has never gotten into flight sims because he can never get immersed, and also tears movies featuring aircraft new ones routinely

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015

gary oldmans diary posted:

i visited my parents house and they had a really old black and white movie on about a plot to sink a boat in harbor
gotta admit it was suspenseful and well acted :ohdear:

Was it Hitchcock's "Saboteur"? That film is pretty great. But then again I'm old.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

part of the appeal to games is that they give you insight into places and things you wouldn't otherwise know; my dad is a pilot but has never gotten into flight sims because he can never get immersed, and also tears movies featuring aircraft new ones routinely

my das an engineer and routinely ruined movies for me when I was a kid. "That's unrealistic, that's dumb, what a stupid concept because X"

the worst part is... I am now an engineer myself and do the same thing.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
I'll just take up welding and be racist like my grandpa. Thank you very much.

Or get dementia and keep playing the same level in a video game over and over again.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

all the old folks homes will be turned into workhouses where theyre forced to do mechanical turk bullshit 14 hours a day, with 1 hour reserved for random beatings

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Son of Rodney posted:

my das an engineer and routinely ruined movies for me when I was a kid. "That's unrealistic, that's dumb, what a stupid concept because X"

the worst part is... I am now an engineer myself and do the same thing.

My life got a lot happier and more enjoyable once I learned to disengage my brain from demands of realism. Nitpicking entertainment is the pettiest thing.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

My brother was a Marine pilot for a few years and that guy is nutty for flight sims and the old Star Wars X-Wing/TIE games, so I'm assuming it's less "been there done that" than it is generational appeal

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Just gotta make it until science reverses aging. Another couple decades should do it.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
For my birthday I asked for weed and nice acrylic socks.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I can't wait for SA to be like a leftist version of Freep

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I plan on running extremely involved and detailed D&D campaigns when I get old with all my my retirement home bros.

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I can't wait for SA to be like a leftist version of Freep

bring back lf

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

I figured it out when I turned 40 that old people have so much cool poo poo to remember and think about that they can just sit there all relaxed, mulling over all the interesting things they've made a mental note to ponder someday. Like that was the age that I no longer became bored if I had to sit in a chair doing nothing, waiting for an appointment or something. Like, I got really good at just kinda sittin there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Oberleutnant posted:

lol loving get a goddamn smartphone op u stupid bitch why the gently caress would you feed a bird or look at anything not on a screen

Hey fukn respect your elders ya oval office

• Locked thread