Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
A lot of us in the other thread want to speculate and talk about spoilers, so here we go. Anything is fair game so don't get mad when someone says that Luke Skywalker runs his lightsaber through Han Solo's head and airmails it to Princess Leia.

I'm sure there will be disagreements and alternate theories. Try to be civil as possible.

Anyway, my guesses for the stuff recently being discussed:

Kylo and Rey are siblings but maybe not twins. There's too many similarities in the trailer and the teaser poster for it to be otherwise. It would make a bit of thematic sense if they were Skywalkers, but with some of the other things we think we know, that might not be the case.

Luke isn't a villain. It wouldn't make sense for him to do that. His story was already told. He was at that crossroads before and rejected the dark side.

Finn has to be a force user. Again, too much in the teasers and poster to think otherwise. Most likely he wants Rey to have the saber because it's a Skywalker heirloom so he wants to get it back to one of them. That of course assumes Rey is a Skywalker.

Why is Rey slumming it in the desert? My guess is that because of whatever happened with Kylo and her family, she's rejected her jedi heritage and just wants to be as far away as possible from it all. Fate or whatever drags her back into it when she runs into Finn. My guess is that she's somewhat already skilled in the use of the force when this episode starts, similar to Kylo.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Oct 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Did Bothans go to any trouble at all to bring us this information?

I wonder a lot about the poster.

It must mean something that Rey's not-a-gaffi-stick is superimposed with the Sith lightsaber.

Finn supposedly sucks dick at using a lightsaber in this one, but that's such an advanced pose he's got there, that you're probably right about him having some Jedi leanings.

I bet that new Death Star is the Rebel Superweapon.

If the makingstarwars synopsis is true, this movie has a complete reversal of the ESB Hoth scene, where the Rebels invade the secret, snowy Imperial base. I'm expecting a lot of OT inversions in this one.

GoGoGadgetChris fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 25, 2015

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Oscar Isaac totally looks like an oompa-loompa in that poster, too.

Yeah in that poster, Kylo and Rey are lined up in what is way too much of a coincidence. Also in the trailer, the first shot is Rey in all white and then later, when it cuts to Kylo, it's the same shot but he's in all black. Way too much of a coincidence.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

BB-8 is R2-D2s son

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
My guess with Rey is that her reluctance to use the saber and the reason for her being on Jakku are the same; she's rejecting her "destiny" as a Skywalker or Solo. i also don't think Finn will end up a Jedi, at least by the end of TFA. The character seems far more suited to taking up the cause of the Resistance and being on the front lines. There's also merch and posts from Boyega's now-deleted Instagram that seem to suggest he and Chewie are the new pilot/copilot of the Falcon, possibly with Poe.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
There's going to be wars in the stars, and below the stars.

But not between stars because movies are a team effort and we don't have time for your ego, Mr. Ford

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

My guess with Rey is that her reluctance to use the saber and the reason for her being on Jakku are the same; she's rejecting her "destiny" as a Skywalker or Solo. i also don't think Finn will end up a Jedi, at least by the end of TFA. The character seems far more suited to taking up the cause of the Resistance and being on the front lines. There's also merch and posts from Boyega's now-deleted Instagram that seem to suggest he and Chewie are the new pilot/copilot of the Falcon, possibly with Poe.

I figured Finn would end up under Luke's tutelage but if he becomes Han Solo version 2, I'm down with that. Because you know Han has to be the one to bite it in this movie.

And from that one scene in the trailer, I'll be a sad man if Poe gets whacked by Kylo.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
That's the thing, Poe is the big 3 character we've seen the least of in trailers and leaks. We know he's captured on Jakku, we know he helps Finn escape, he's obviously in some atmospheric battle, probably on Takodana (pirate planet) and...that's it. Having Poe bite it would be super disappointing. Isaac is probably the actor I'm most looking forward to seeing in the Star Wars setting. Dude knocks it out in every movie I've seen so far.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Is there any reason Rey can't be Luke's kid? I mean, she seems pretty young, but Han doesn't seem to recognize her or guess that she might be his daughter. I mean, anything's possible, there's a bunch of ways she could be Han's kid and I honestly think that's most likely, but I think the alternative is interesting.

That would also change the dynamic of Kylo and Rey- rather than being twins (again), they would be defined by their common grandparent. Darth Vader. That emphasis could be a bit more upsetting for Rey. Especially if she thinks Luke let her down or whatever (clearly something's gone wrong with Luke's story because he hasn't made a new Jedi order yet). She'd have no pride in her background, only shame and self-doubt.

Being ashamed of her birthright while being all buddy-buddy with Han seems a bit silly, even if he doesn't have anything directly to do with it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Those are great points. I admit that sometimes the EU stuff sorta taints my speculations.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Perhaps Rey is unaware of her lineage, also.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Gonz posted:

Perhaps Rey is unaware of her lineage, also.
At the start, probably. But the last summary I read said that Han takes her and Finn to that force sensitive pirate lady who tells her ~something~, and she spends the rest of the movie making Finn carry Anakin's light saber until the climax.

Though putting it that way... perhaps she just gets told it had been used to kill dozens of children by Darth Vader. That would be a sympathetic motive for not touching the thing.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

You assholes almost had me blacklist any internet star wars discussion. I thought there was an actual script leak or something. So far this sounds like poo poo you would regularly read in magazines and poo poo. Has the main thread gone super "no spoilers!" nerd or what?

Edit: you should rename this thread spoiler speculation because this is pretty weak so far(thankfully)

Fragmented fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Oct 25, 2015

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Fragmented posted:

You assholes almost had me blacklist any internet star wars discussion. I thought there was an actual script leak or something. So far this sounds like poo poo you would regularly read in magazines and poo poo. Has the main thread gone super "no spoilers!" nerd or what?

Edit: you should rename this thread spoiler speculation because this is pretty weak so far(thankfully)
It was looking like some redacted CIA documentation.

Here's my guess:

* Rey: Some kind of close connection to Ren, possibly Luke's child or something. Some Jedi training, actively rejecting it. Probably comes back to it.
* Finn: Spontaneously woke to his Force-feelin's (perhaps during a Stormtrooper attack? this might be where he Feels The Force and gets bugged out). Runs off, gets on a trajectory to be the Luke-equivalent for the films.
* Ren: Either a guy who ditched out on Luke's school or found other teachings. His "knights of Ren" attacked a bunch of padawans with military support and, shockingly, killed all/most of them. He is probably being encouraged by evil ghosts.
* Poe: Dunno at all, but he seems like he's gonna be more prominent than Wedge was.
* BB-8: Cute as heck
* Leia: Possibly also Jedi-trained at least a little, which would be kind of a cute punchline if she busts out a saber.
* Han: Dead as hell
* Chewie: Possibly dead as hell
* R2: Still a mack
* 3PO: Unchanged

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Fragmented posted:

Most of the plot has been leaked (accurately or not). Kylo Ren kills Han. Luke doesn't appear until the very end.

There's a few bits we don't know specifically. Like Fin, Han, and Rey get told something important at the halfway point by the pirate lady, and Kylo Ren and Han have some sort of meaningful exchange before he dies, but we don't know that Kylo is Han's son.

Assuming the leaks aren't bullshit.

Obviously the discussion is going to center around the few things that aren't known, rather than most of the film that is known. But to be honest, this thread basically exists because we know that Han dies and that knowledge being out there understandably upsets people who are avoiding spoilers.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

See you should open the thread with the Han shanking. It would make this so much easier. I risked it, I read it, I don't really care because context is everything. But a good spoiler thread puts that poo poo first. Have a "OMG last warning!" Then drop the good stuff.

Everyone have fun. Knowing more until I see it isn't my thing. I have to say its pretty funny I had to read the main thread to get an idea of the spoilers. Own this poo poo, its a spoiler thread.

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Proud opponent of Israeli terror and Jewish fascism!
Kylo Ren's motivation could be that hes confusing Snoke's voices in his head with grand-pa skywalker. Might explain the fanboyish he has towards Vader and the artifact collecting.
One of the leaks had Snoke communicating with Kylo Ren telepathically throughtout the movie.

Finn wont be a jedi but hes gonna have hand to hand training from the first order wich is probably why he weilds that lightsaber. Who knows if he gets jedi training in 8 and/or 9, anyone can be trained.

edit: Finn might be one of these guys
http://i.imgur.com/kwnxL8c.jpg?1

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So why are are all the spaceships in the trailers not fighting in space?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Hollywood is all about teasing the sequel hooks now.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Why is is the scary dude's red lightsaber all wibbly-wobbly and jagged? Apart from the fact that he's a scary dude and it represents his unkempt evil etc, is there some Star Wars universe explanation too?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Popcorn posted:

Why is is the scary dude's red lightsaber all wibbly-wobbly and jagged? Apart from the fact that he's a scary dude and it represents his unkempt evil etc, is there some Star Wars universe explanation too?
Probably he salvaged it off Dooku or some poo poo and it's all hosed up and he had to jury-rig it. Also, the cross guards probably help his elite katana styles.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

Popcorn posted:

He jailbroke it and hollywood wants to scare us all about the evils of breaking corporate copy protection.

If he was running his lightsaber on stock approved OS it would be far more reliable, secure and have none of that telltale flicker that attracts viruses from unsavory droids.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The attack on Starkiller Base should have some space stuff at the very least; rumor has it that Leia and Ackbar deploy a bunch of experimental ships versus the First Order's Star Destroyers in orbit and basically kick rear end, but it's all rendered moot when Hux uses the Array to clear the airspace above the base. Only Poe's Black Squadron makes it through to save the day, hence that shot of the ships dogfighting above the icy trench.

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Popcorn posted:

Probably no, or didn't complete his, jedi training.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I like to believe the theory that his lightsaber is emitting too much energy to be safe (resulting in it looking all wibbly-wobbly and jagged) and the two cross-guard things are also acting as some kind of vent.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Eiba posted:

Most of the plot has been leaked (accurately or not). Kylo Ren kills Han. Luke doesn't appear until the very end.

There's a few bits we don't know specifically. Like Fin, Han, and Rey get told something important at the halfway point by the pirate lady, and Kylo Ren and Han have some sort of meaningful exchange before he dies, but we don't know that Kylo is Han's son.

Assuming the leaks aren't bullshit.

Obviously the discussion is going to center around the few things that aren't known, rather than most of the film that is known. But to be honest, this thread basically exists because we know that Han dies and that knowledge being out there understandably upsets people who are avoiding spoilers.

I normally don't give a poo poo about Star Wars stuff, but given the plot leak via the fx guys I think they are possible right about Kylo being Han's son, but Kylo isn't Rey's brother, based on the imagery they are doing in various merchandise and how much alike she looks to the actor at the same age - shes Luke's daughter aka Kylo's cousin.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Eiba posted:

At the start, probably. But the last summary I read said that Han takes her and Finn to that force sensitive pirate lady who tells her ~something~, and she spends the rest of the movie making Finn carry Anakin's light saber until the climax.

Though putting it that way... perhaps she just gets told it had been used to kill dozens of children by Darth Vader. That would be a sympathetic motive for not touching the thing.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
So does 3PO have a red arm for any particular reason now, you think? Is it just another nerd-cred thing because he's back to having a regular gold shin, but still needs to have one off-model body part, or is JJ like a huge Metal Gear fan and it's a shout-out to Venom Snake or something? I can't imagine it having any real story relevance, other for someone to go 'why does everything the Skywalker family touch inevitably have a body part severed'

Also, a lot of the leaks don't really seem to have any mention of Phasma. Is she purely a marketing ploy for 'badass character to sell toys' ala Boba Fett or something more? One theory that I heard - that I can't find the source of again - is that she's the First Order's primary anti-Jedi / Force User soldier, and Finn has something to with her unit, which is how he knows how to use a lightsaber, and how there's toys out there of First Order troopers with shields like in the original Ep4 concept art.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
I don't know how to feel about this. When RotJ came out I was still too young to see it in a cinema, later on I really enjoyed the movies as a teen. The prequels had hardly any highlights and now we get a story where Solo will likely die in the first episode of the new movies and where a lot of stuff has happened in the meantime which will hardly be explained in depth. It feels kinda weird to me to accept that all the original characters had kids which then turned either into bad apples or were somehow abandoned. Rebels being poo poo at parenting is not a good story vehicle.

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

Jose Oquendo posted:

Also in the trailer, the first shot is Rey in all white and then later, when it cuts to Kylo, it's the same shot but he's in all black. Way too much of a coincidence.

Yeah and their goofy helmets look similar too

Aaronicon posted:

Also, a lot of the leaks don't really seem to have any mention of Phasma. Is she purely a marketing ploy for 'badass character to sell toys' ala Boba Fett or something more? One theory that I heard - that I can't find the source of again - is that she's the First Order's primary anti-Jedi / Force User soldier, and Finn has something to with her unit, which is how he knows how to use a lightsaber, and how there's toys out there of First Order troopers with shields like in the original Ep4 concept art.

I think the force awakens in Finn and he has to beat a hasty escape, leading to Phasma hunting them down throughout the movie. Making her the Boba Fett in more ways then one.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Rey being a Skywalker seems obvious enough based entirely on the fact that she's introduced as living on a desert planet and messes around with mechanical stuff/has a robot buddy and rides around on a speeder.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
And similar to luke, her robot pal is a rebel Droid on the run from imperial scouts.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why can I never not read spoilers? :smith:

Actually the only bad stuff would be Han Shanking...and I guess Ren Relations...well and Mark Hamill got some easy goddamn money...perhaps I can just turn...nah I'm hosed.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Kylo and Rey are more than likely twins and the children of Han and Leia, who they allow to go off and do Jedi training with Luke once they become Force sensitive. Hence the resentment of Rey towards Han & Leia (whose expository speech in the trailers can be explained as him speaking to Finn or someone else who is a bystander) as abandoning their parental responsibilities in favor of the New Republic and smuggling or whatever.

Kylo gets corrupted over to the Dark Side by whoever Andy Serkis is playing, slays all other other Padawans on whatever planet Luke is training them on while Luke is away doing [something], but allows Rey to flee because of sibling connection.

Rey runs and hides on a desert planet, doing salvage work to assuage her desire to know more about her past but still remaining distant and anonymous.

Luke finds out what Kylo did, has a crisis of conscious about his worth as a Jedi Master, hides somewhere.

Kylo is obsessed with Vader due to Serkis's influence and also his own desire to understand the Skywalker legacy.

Finn is more than likely a Force user.

Kylo def kills Han (you can see a shot of Rey crying over his corpse in the most recent trailer).

Luke isn't the villain and TFA probably ends with Rey tracking him down while Finn recuperates/finds a parallel path to being a Jedi, and Kylo licks his wounds/falls further under the influence of Serkis.

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Kylo and Rey are more than likely twins and the children of Han and Leia, who they allow to go off and do Jedi training with Luke once they become Force sensitive. Hence the resentment of Rey towards Han & Leia (whose expository speech in the trailers can be explained as him speaking to Finn or someone else who is a bystander) as abandoning their parental responsibilities in favor of the New Republic and smuggling or whatever.

Kylo gets corrupted over to the Dark Side by whoever Andy Serkis is playing, slays all other other Padawans on whatever planet Luke is training them on while Luke is away doing [something], but allows Rey to flee because of sibling connection.

Rey runs and hides on a desert planet, doing salvage work to assuage her desire to know more about her past but still remaining distant and anonymous.

Luke finds out what Kylo did, has a crisis of conscious about his worth as a Jedi Master, hides somewhere.

Kylo is obsessed with Vader due to Serkis's influence and also his own desire to understand the Skywalker legacy.

Finn is more than likely a Force user.

Kylo def kills Han (you can see a shot of Rey crying over his corpse in the most recent trailer).

Luke isn't the villain and TFA probably ends with Rey tracking him down while Finn recuperates/finds a parallel path to being a Jedi, and Kylo licks his wounds/falls further under the influence of Serkis.

Its Finn shes crying over, its pretty clear in good quality trailers.

I cant see Han and Leia abadonning their daughter over petty poo poo like that, wich is why she is Lukes. The imagery in all the trailers support this way too much.

If Finn is a force user, the first order is training stormtroopers in the force. Where is the evidence of this?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Whoever Rey is crying over is wearing Chewie's silver bandolier thingy, so it's either Han or Chewie. No way they kill off Finn, the protagonist for the new trilogy, in the first movie. Spoilers have shown him as being injured in his fight with Kylo, but nothing indicates that it's an injury worth weeping over.

I don't think Han and Leia abandoned their kids, rather that they trusted them to Luke and then everything went to hell, and the kids ran off beyond the retrieval of their parents.

Finn might not be an overt Force user, but someone that is Force-sensitive and becomes a Force user as a result of trauma or severe developments.

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

I shouldn't tell you this but you're the only one I can trust...
Maybe Rey is younger than Kylo and was sent to Luke very young, and both are Han and Leia's. Kylo Vaders the temple and Luke thinks Rey is killed too, tells Han and Leia, and leaves. She doesn't find her way home for whatever reason or thinks her barely remembered parents are also dead. When Rey meets Han she is just some girl that looks like maybe what his dead daughter would have looked like.

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

I shouldn't tell you this but you're the only one I can trust...
Also possible Kylo is so obsessed with Vader be intentionally spares toddler Rey and drops her off on a desert planet to get raised by Uncle Von Sydow so she can play Luke to his Vader later. Which explains her not wanting to touch the saber.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I'm not sure about all the talk regarding Fynn and Poe escaping together in the TIE and crashing on Jakku etc. I'm seeing a distinct lack of Poe in any shots with Fynn and Rey (except one shot with Fynn and Poe outside the rebel base). On top of that, he's not represented as well as the other two on the poster. I just don't know why all these rumors persist about him getting captured and the two of them landing on Jakku, when we only see Fynn by himself or with Rey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Kingtheninja posted:

I'm not sure about all the talk regarding Fynn and Poe escaping together in the TIE and crashing on Jakku etc. I'm seeing a distinct lack of Poe in any shots with Fynn and Rey (except one shot with Fynn and Poe outside the rebel base). On top of that, he's not represented as well as the other two on the poster. I just don't know why all these rumors persist about him getting captured and the two of them landing on Jakku, when we only see Fynn by himself or with Rey.

Poe definitely gets captured at some point. Kylo mind rapes him in the trailer.

• Locked thread