Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Kingtheninja posted:

I'm not sure about all the talk regarding Fynn and Poe escaping together in the TIE and crashing on Jakku etc. I'm seeing a distinct lack of Poe in any shots with Fynn and Rey (except one shot with Fynn and Poe outside the rebel base). On top of that, he's not represented as well as the other two on the poster. I just don't know why all these rumors persist about him getting captured and the two of them landing on Jakku, when we only see Fynn by himself or with Rey.

It's just Finn, you don't have to Star Warsify his name more.

Finn's got Poe's jacket, Finn isn't a pilot, and we know Poe gets captured and tortured. This is one of the more fleshed out chunks of "known" plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I heard max von sydow was actually old boba fett but I guess that ridiculous speculation is really moot if han gets killed by someone else

also I hope BB-88 is IG-88's kid and they have a tense heartbreaking showdown

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Oct 26, 2015

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I'm going to go with:

Ren and Rey are Han and Leia's kids sent for Jedi training very young, bad guy took Ren and brainwashed him and everyone assumed Rey was killed with the rest, when she was in fact spirited away. Han and Leia assumed both children are dead, and it broke their hearts and their relationship. Luke went into hiding after the training got shot down, because the galaxy was clearly not ready for Jedi. Rey grows up knowing she has Jedi in her history -- maybe she has bad memories of that time, or how it ended -- and so rejects it when it comes back to haunt her.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Ren kills Han because he doesn't want to pay back the interest on a loan Han gave him years before.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Ren kills Han over an argument about what parsecs are.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Ren actually is out to finish what Greedo started.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I always kinda thought the EU was silly for having Luke make some grand resurgence of Jedi.

The dude was a good pilot and a Jedi. That doesn't make him a leader or capable teacher. Luke is the ultimate Dunning Kruger example if he tried to make an academy

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

SaltLick posted:

I always kinda thought the EU was silly for having Luke make some grand resurgence of Jedi.

The dude was a good pilot and a Jedi. That doesn't make him a leader or capable teacher. Luke is the ultimate Dunning Kruger example if he tried to make an academy
I don't think he was typically portrayed as super successful. He managed to keep the tradition alive and made it so there were other Jedi, some of whom were presumably more competent at administration than him. It probably helped that the New Republic would want to throw money at Luke Skywalker, who destroyed a Death Star, and whose sister turns out to be a princess whose planet was the #1 example of Imperial atrocity.

But like he had students falling to the Dark Side and poo poo-talking him all the time. I remember one of his common motivations to be doing something during an EU novel would be "I'm trying to find some old Jedi lore or something because Obi-Wan didn't even have a loving textbook."

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Lunatic Pathos posted:

Also possible Kylo is so obsessed with Vader be intentionally spares toddler Rey and drops her off on a desert planet to get raised by Uncle Von Sydow so she can play Luke to his Vader later. Which explains her not wanting to touch the saber.

I like this a lot. We can already tell that Kyle-o is kinda obsessed with Star Wars, it'd be extra-funny if he was so obsessed that he tried to recreate the events of the previous movies.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The Alpine Kylo duel is shot a lot like the Degobah Vader scene. Wonder if there's any significance there? The ESB trailer explicitly made it look like luke and Vader were going to throw down in the woods.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Grendels Dad posted:

I like this a lot. We can already tell that Kyle-o is kinda obsessed with Star Wars, it'd be extra-funny if he was so obsessed that he tried to recreate the events of the previous movies.

Such meta stuff is just annoying and not "funny" at all and even thinking anyone would actually write a story like this says a lot more about the people who are themselfs obsessed with other people obsessing...

Electromax
May 6, 2007
It's also the plot of the videogame Metal Gear Solid 2 ("by recreating these precise events, we can recreate the person...").

I don't think it has to be funny, though - if he is obsessed with Vader (seems confirmed) then it's plausible he'd be obsessed with succeeding where he failed, turning a pure heart to the dark side or whatever. He'll presumably need an apprentice sooner or later. But it seems pretty unlikely.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

LinkesAuge posted:

Such meta stuff is just annoying and not "funny" at all and even thinking anyone would actually write a story like this says a lot more about the people who are themselfs obsessed with other people obsessing...

Actually it sounds great and I hope the movie is all about people trying to reenact the OT.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Electromax posted:

It's also the plot of the videogame Metal Gear Solid 2 ("by recreating these precise events, we can recreate the person...").

I don't think it has to be funny, though - if he is obsessed with Vader (seems confirmed) then it's plausible he'd be obsessed with succeeding where he failed, turning a pure heart to the dark side or whatever. He'll presumably need an apprentice sooner or later. But it seems pretty unlikely.
Doesn't he have his "knights of Ren"? My guess is he is either running with an associate's degree in padawan studies from Luke University or pieced poo poo together from old records and evil ghosts.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

Nessus posted:

Doesn't he have his "knights of Ren"? My guess is he is either running with an associate's degree in padawan studies from Luke University or pieced poo poo together from old records and evil ghosts.

They actually had a big event promoting the knights with a sign-up drive, known as The Ren Faire.

Stryder fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Oct 29, 2015

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
The leaked scene-by-scene does mention that there's a sequence where Kylo contacts his actual true boss, above Snoke Every Day, so I'm betting that the Knights Of Ren are just another front for the Sith coming back. I mean, there is one Sith still left alive, as far as we know. The Clone Wars cartoon, which is still canon, never got around to explaining exactly what Palpatine ended up doing with Maul after he came back.

Or poo poo, why not pull a Spider-Man and get a Clone Saga going. I mean it worked so well in the EU...

epic weed mom
Sep 1, 2006

Yo can we get some links to these alleged plot breakdowns up in here?

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Should really be in the OP.

Or just broken down into bulletpoints and purchased as avatars.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
I can't imagine Solo getting killed given he's slated to reprise his role in Episode VIII and IX. But then again it's Star Wars - so force ghost or hologram theories ahoy.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Where was it stated that Ford was signed on for three movies? The only actors I thought had been signed for the whole trilogy were Boyega and Ridley?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

WebDog posted:

I can't imagine Solo getting killed given he's slated to reprise his role in Episode VIII and IX. But then again it's Star Wars - so force ghost or hologram theories ahoy.
http://www.theonion.com/article/harrison-ford-begs-agents-to-just-let-him-die-now-34408

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Aaronicon posted:

The leaked scene-by-scene does mention that there's a sequence where Kylo contacts his actual true boss, above Snoke Every Day, so I'm betting that the Knights Of Ren are just another front for the Sith coming back. I mean, there is one Sith still left alive, as far as we know. The Clone Wars cartoon, which is still canon, never got around to explaining exactly what Palpatine ended up doing with Maul after he came back.
Oh poo poo if Supreme Leader Snoke is elderly cyborg Darth Maul...

Or the namedropped but supposedly dead Darth Plagueis...

Or Luke wearing a disguise...

Speculate away!

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Oct 30, 2015

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Plagueis would be cool as the big bad in all of this. That would build upon already established lore and continue with the concepts that were laid out in the prequels about the jedi and the sith being locked in an arms race for immortality.

Somehow Palpatine didn't truly dispose of Plagueis and Plagueis has been spending this entire time resurrecting himself somehow only to show up. Ties into the "Awakening" concept and might eventually reveal if Plageuis was somehow involved in Anakin's supposed "virgin" birth if he had the ability to make midichlorians "create life."

G-III fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 1, 2015

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
Plagueis did boast (through Palpatine) that he held control over life and death. What if Kylo's a Vader fanboy not because he's in super love with him, but the body / cells of Vader are the key to bringing himself back to physical form and the Knights of Ren are just a cult he founded to help survive the inevitable betrayal of his apprentice? If the whole point of Anakin being created by Plagueis was so that he had a new body to cheat death forever in, one engineered to be super powerful in the Force?

I mean we've had rumours from MakingStarWars about Christensen being called back for scenes in Episode 8 (although I think that's unlikely) but hell, I'd be happy to give him a second shot with a director other than Lucas.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Those Plagueis images and the idea of chasing immortality remind me too much of Voldemort.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Martman posted:

Those Plagueis images and the idea of chasing immortality remind me too much of Voldemort.
Yeah there's that. I think the concept is interesting because it can do a number of things:

1. It ties the entire saga including the prequels together
2. actually gives some purpose and point to why midichlorians were ever brought up in the first place
3. might actually expand on the story of the skywalker lineage all-together. Luke may get to face his sorta-grandpa.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Cardboard Box A posted:

Oh poo poo if Supreme Leader Snoke is elderly cyborg Darth Maul...

Speculate away!

Planet of the Apes.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Aaronicon posted:

Or poo poo, why not pull a Spider-Man and get a Clone Saga going. I mean it worked so well in the EU...

I read that Kylo specifically isn't a Sith though? Just a "dark side user"

I wanna know more about that sick rear end lightsaber and what's up with the energy pattern. I actually kinda like the theory early itt that it's putting out dangerous levels of energy and the crossguards are vents, which also handwaves away the nerds crying about WHAT THE POINT OF CROSSGUARDS ANOTHER LIGHTSABER COULD JUST CUT THE EMITTER PIECES OFF :qq:

I really hope it's not just "Kylo is a lovely sabersmith" but I suspect that's not the case given how much attention this lightsaber is getting and the lengths they went through to make it not just "variation of generic green lightsaber" both in the crossguard design but also the energy pattern.

But also, if Kylo isn't a Sith, then they could be playing a total reversal of "Jedi are almost extinct, heres one old guy on a backwater rear end planet, trains the last padawan (Obi-Wan/Luke) but now that the Empire is apparently no longer a real thing and we have what amounts to a military junta running the show, trying to maintain control Assad-style, then maybe it's a total role reversal from Ep IV?

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Eiba posted:

Though putting it that way... perhaps she just gets told it had been used to kill dozens of children by Darth Vader. That would be a sympathetic motive for not touching the thing.
It could be that she's very sensitive to artefacts, able to see the past through them or feel their history.

Assuming that Ren and Rey are twins, he may have the same ability, hence his collecting fetish and also explaining how he turned. For example, Ren gets his hands on Vadars Headgear and the thing twists him, so he starts seeking more Sith artifacts (i.e. The mask of Revan, Darth Banes sabre, Palpatines bath slippers) cobbling together knowledge of the dark side based on what he see's and feels from the objects.

So he's not actually a Sith taught by a master, essentially Ren's just some fanboy whose been reading the force equivalent of Wikipedia – it's why his Sabre is all messed up, having built it based of what he saw in the visions from fondling objects.

Rey touches Anakins Sabre and knows instantly that it was used to go postal on kids/sandpeople/separatists. Remembering what touching Vadars mask did to her brother she doesn't want to hold the bloody thing, let alone use it.

I mean, we already know at locations can become dark side wounds in the force (i.e. the cave), so why not objects?

Finn, who is as deaf as Luke was to its history, becomes the proverbial ringbearer.

Ren of course wants the Sabre so he can get off to visions of Vadars killing kids.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Rougey posted:

It could be that she's very sensitive to artefacts, able to see the past through them or feel their history.

[...]

I mean, we already know at locations can become dark side wounds in the force (i.e. the cave), so why not objects?

Also, there's a precedent in the Clone Wars series (and the comics - now Legends - before that): Quinlan Vos had pretty much that same ability.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
If they use a single original idea from the prequel trilogy or the extended universe then they are super stupid

Calaveron fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 2, 2015

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Those images of the cyborg figure are Kylo before they decided to go with just a regular guy. Some of the spoilers talk about his Hamlet moment with Vader's mask.

Snoke definitely shows up in the snow fight. There's that one piece of concept art with him standing over Ren/Finn. He is a sorta sickly alien/snake guy wearing a breather. This goes against the leaked info, which doesn't really mention Luke or Snoke at all. Seems like they kept a really, really tight lid on Act III.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Calaveron posted:

If they use a single original idea from the prequel trilogy or the extended universe then they are super stupid
They already are?

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

KaptainKrunk posted:

Those images of the cyborg figure are Kylo before they decided to go with just a regular guy. Some of the spoilers talk about his Hamlet moment with Vader's mask.

Snoke definitely shows up in the snow fight. There's that one piece of concept art with him standing over Ren/Finn. He is a sorta sickly alien/snake guy wearing a breather. This goes against the leaked info, which doesn't really mention Luke or Snoke at all. Seems like they kept a really, really tight lid on Act III.

A showdown in the snow with Luke and Snoke would be exciting and the surprise would be great considering what has been "leaked" so far, but I bet they hold out the Luke content to drag people into the sequel.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Does this movie really have a snake man named Snoke

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Kelp Plankton posted:

Does this movie really have a snake man named Snoke

And a woman who shoots plasma named Phasma

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
And the previous movies had a broken evil robot man named Grievous and the villain Sidious

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Greedo, who was greedy

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I love star wars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Corek posted:

Greedo, who was greedy

And a guy named Luke that we were supposed to like.

• Locked thread