Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

That Works posted:

JT Barrett should be forced to play for Minnesota.

Eighth Amendment forbids cruel and unusual punishment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

TheGreyGhost posted:

Never said it was the scariest part as a human, just as a fan. As a human, yes, DUIs are loving stupid, and it's one of the worst traits of America that they happen so much here and the we have developed all these campuses and cities where we feel compelled to get around by cars because we don't like things that don't sprawl here. Does it send a great message? No. But deterrence only goes so far too on that stuff. If you start making everything too punitive, you risk taking away people's livelihood mistakes and accidents. He was barely over a .08. Yes, he violated the law, but not to the point of a felony and he didn't make the situation worse for himself or others and got a ride home from a friend after. I could understand tacking another game or two on, but I'm not about to throw the book at the kid under those circumstances. There's some shades of nuance between absolving poo poo with "BOYS WILL BE BOYS" and creating summary executions for anyone driving over a .08, and I'm comfortable enough knowing the details to feel like something towards the lighter end isn't totally uncalled for here.

Pachall also had multiple failed drug tests for Coke and E before and blew way over the legal limit to where he got a felony. Barrett blew just barely over to where he only got a misdemeanor, was a first time offender, and doesn't have any priors in the program. My apple is not your orange.

Just let it go dude. He made a mistake, he's been punished by the law and the team. It's over and if Urban is smart he will still be the starter when he's eligible again.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

Henchman of Santa posted:

everybody murders people, drives drunk, rapes you, rapes me, whatever

Maybe I'm just a simpleton but this joke and Dabo Downs will never get old to me.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Rad Valtar posted:

Just let it go dude. He made a mistake, he's been punished by the law and the team. It's over and if Urban is smart he will still be the starter when he's eligible again.

He literally got caught last night. Hasn't been punished by the law yet.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

That Works posted:

but it seems like so long ago, just let it be

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

TheGreyGhost posted:

Pachall also had multiple failed drug tests for Coke and E before and blew way over the legal limit to where he got a felony. Barrett blew just barely over to where he only got a misdemeanor, was a first time offender, and doesn't have any priors in the program. My apple is not your orange.

There is no felony DWI based upon BAC in Texas. Pachall was charged with DWI with a BAC > .15 which is a Class A misdemeanor.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

That Works posted:

Oh poo poo I didn't realize this just happened I thought it was earlier in the week my bad.

Also what I meant was for him to stop trying to rationalize every little detail. He was over the limit and should be punished for it. Doesn't matter how little he went over.

Rad Valtar fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 31, 2015

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

That Works posted:

oh in that case we better not ruin anyone's weekend

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Rad Valtar posted:

Oh poo poo I didn't realize this just happened I thought it was earlier in the week my bad.

Also what I meant was for him to stop trying to rationalize every little detail. He was over the limit and should be punished for it. Doesn't matter how little he went over.

I agree

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
I didn't know the legal limit was so high for someone underage.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Cole posted:

I didn't know the legal limit was so high for someone underage.

In most states the legal limit for someone under aged is zero tolerance.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Fluffdaddy posted:

In most states the legal limit for someone under aged is zero tolerance.

Isn't that the joke?

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast
FL had a legal limit of, I believe, .02 when you are under 21 when I got my license.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Dattserberg posted:

FL had a legal limit of, I believe, .02 when you are under 21 when I got my license.

There's usually some tolerance because of stuff like using mouthwash before going out to drive, right?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Dattserberg posted:

Same in Iowa. I assume that's pretty standard.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Great White Hope posted:

There's usually some tolerance because of stuff like using mouthwash before going out to drive, right?

Not in Texas to the best of my knowledge.

What really makes this fun is that (like everything else) there's a natural variation to the meter. Normally, it probably wouldn't matter that much unless you're right at the limit of 0.08. For minors though, any amount of alcohol was seen as illegal, so they could throw your rear end in jail if you got unlucky and the meter said you're 0.01 higher than you actually are (or more likely 0.005, rounded up).

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I mean, this isn't the first time a college player got one game for DUI. I'm pretty sure an Alabama player had the same a few years ago. It's a common thing in college football, and it's loving idiotic.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

Emron posted:

I mean, this isn't the first time a college player got one game for DUI. I'm pretty sure an Alabama player had the same a few years ago. It's a common thing in college football, and it's loving idiotic.

It's pretty much the standard in the last few years around the country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Rad Valtar posted:

It's pretty much the standard in the last few years around the country.

It is, and it's hosed up

• Locked thread