Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hooded Reptile
Aug 31, 2015
Why get married in the first place? The average marriage last like 3 minutes today, just go out.

The one you are looking for doesn't exist, it is a design construct in your head to give you hope for the future,

Seriously.

If you do get married, you put half of what you have on the line, moreso if you have kids. Please don't have kids, you'll make them into play things in the court system.

Also, do not get married.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
Just so the more naive among us don't get wrong ideas: you can have kids even if you're not married. I know a trick.

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Nelson Mandingo posted:

"Kids it's not your fault"

*It actually is*

well, technically it was the parents' fault for having the kids. the kids just responded accordingly to their lovely home life

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

Just so the more naive among us don't get wrong ideas: you can have kids even if you're not married. I know a trick.

A trick? As in ONE trick? Is it a simple trick? One simple trick? Because I might just HATE this one simple trick.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Haier posted:

A trick? As in ONE trick? Is it a simple trick? One simple trick? Because I might just HATE this one simple trick.

yase to all questions.

ye olde anime shoppe
Nov 9, 2006

Unlike most, I know I am a tool.
Our son is gay, have fun raising him alone you insufferable oval office.

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007
Feels sad all the time

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

The Hammer posted:

Our son is gay, have fun raising him alone you insufferable oval office.

a boy raised nearly exclusively by his mother turns out to be gay? color me shocked

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
*subtly conditions children to hate their mother*

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012
"More time for me, mah hog, and the open road."

*buys his first motorcycle, it's a $40k Harley, spends more time looking at it and talking about it than riding it. Eventually lays it down and breaks his leg, develops a nice painkiller addiction*

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
It's really hard to tell the "this is my story" from the "this is my dad's story" apart ITT

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
*tells everyone that it was her drinking that caused the divorce but really it was because they havent said a word to each other in 3 years*

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
I am divorced.

*Looks at checking account balance and is happy*

I was able to save money and buy a nice 2 bed/bath condo in a place I love. When I was married my wife had the money spent on stupid poo poo before it even hit the bank.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
What's the over/under for shameful ex sex with the spouse you divorced?

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams

BottledBodhisvata posted:

What's the over/under for shameful ex sex with the spouse you divorced?

0 for me, she moved to Colorado.

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Your argument is invalid.
Exciting Lemon
Started dating my wife in 1997 in high school (married in 2004). She's decided she needs to have kids and I don't want any. She'll be filing in the next few weeks.

I just turned 34 and I've never been on a date.

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

It's really hard to tell the "this is my story" from the "this is my dad's story" apart ITT

any story where they can't make basic dinners on their own is a pretty accurate divorced boomer dad story

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

fordham posted:

Started dating my wife in 1997 in high school (married in 2004). She's decided she needs to have kids and I don't want any. She'll be filing in the next few weeks.

After this many years, why not just give her a kid, rather than throw away so long a relationship?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Al Nipper posted:

any story where they can't make basic dinners on their own is a pretty accurate divorced boomer dad story

In the case of Gen Xers or Millennials the wife couldn't cook either.

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Exciting Lemon

After this many years, why not just give her a kid, rather than throw away so long a relationship?

That's not really a good reason to have a child...

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

fordham posted:

lol pwnt

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

fordham posted:

That's not really a good reason to have a child...

Yeah, but in two years they would have been together 20 years. I dunno, it just seems like a waste to let it fall apart like that. Kids are a big responsibility, though. No easy decisions...but...I just...

I want to believe in life after love

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Exciting Lemon

Yeah, but in two years they would have been together 20 years. I dunno, it just seems like a waste to let it fall apart like that. Kids are a big responsibility, though. No easy decisions...but...I just...

I want to believe in life after love

It wasn't an easy decision I can assure you of that.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

fordham posted:

My first wife did this. She wanted kids because all her other (single mother) friends were having them too. Since we could barely afford rent and food for ourselves I didn't think that was a good idea. She thought we could just ask our parents to pitch in and go on welfare for the rest. I told her I prefer to work on my career so that we could afford kids and a nice house without having to to do that.

A few months later she is seeing a shrink for "depression" and I start finding evidence of her cheating on me. I confront her and mentioned that we won't be renewing the rental on our apartment so she needs to get out.

The last time I saw her was in court when we signed out papers. I went out on a date that same night.

I married again but to someone who also didn't want kids. It's really fun to just decide, "gently caress it. Let's go to Vegas this weekend" and not have to worry about kids.

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
"That's great! I don't want kids either!"*

* subject to change once that bio-clock becomes deafening

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

fordham posted:

It wasn't an easy decision I can assure you of that.

It's because both of you are ugly isn't it?

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007

Mad Monk posted:

I am divorced.

*Looks at checking account balance and is happy*

I was able to save money and buy a nice 2 bed/bath condo in a place I love. When I was married my wife had the money spent on stupid poo poo before it even hit the bank.

This is me except 4 years later I'm still paying of all the stupid poo poo she bought with still a year to go, fuuuuccckkkk, will be able to save a squillion then

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Exciting Lemon

Gaunab posted:

It's because both of you are ugly isn't it?

She isn't, but I certainly am.

On a mildly more serious note, if you and your SO determine you definitely want different things out of life, it's probably time to throw in the towel.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

The sad truth is that the story usually repeats.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
*Cries in the car because 'Ditmas' by Mumford & Sons came on the radio*

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

ghlbtsk posted:

"That's great! I don't want kids either!"*

* subject to change once that bio-clock becomes deafening

So true. Of all the guys who claimed throughout their late teens and early 20s, "I'll never have kids!" They almost always wind up with them. As for the women, in my experience, all those who have said no kids ended up having them, except for one, and she later started dating exclusively other women.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
"Good, gently caress that bitch, now I can go and live my life my way"

*passive-agressively posts about her on a dead gay forum in the third person years later*

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
*Can actually start eating right, exercising and getting in shape because I no longer have to cater to my ex's baby palate or eat take-out three times a week*

ballass
Jan 16, 2014

by XyloJW

cyberia posted:

*Can actually start eating right, exercising and getting in shape because I no longer have to cater to my ex's baby palate or eat take-out three times a week*

*but doesn't and plays computer all day while collecting disability for depression and obesity*

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

cyberia posted:

*finally has room in fridge for non-vegetarian stuff*

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Naerasa posted:

The sad truth is that the story usually repeats.

And the cat's in the cradle and the silver goon...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
*Poo poo in he pants*

• Locked thread