Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I was recently made manager of our school district's webpage. I've never had to manage a site before. It's hosted on something called Schoolwires, and I don't have a lot of actual administrative control.
Earlier this year, they disabled the search functionality because Schoolwires' search sucked, and the previous manager didn't have any time to get meta tags on all the pages, so the google search integration wasn't enabled.
I finally got all the meta tags in, and set up a Google Custom Search Engine for the site, but the results were massively polluted with all the PDFs on our site. You'd search 'athletics' and get 4 PDFs of release forms from the past two years listed before the actual athletics landing page. I don't have any access to the .htaccess or robots.txt files, which was my first thought on getting those out of the search index. Searching around told me I should be able to put '-filetype:pdf' in the Query Addition area when configuring the CSE (and there are multiple people saying it works for them), but it doesn't do jack for me. If I manually add the filetype restriction in the search box, the results are great. If I try something different in the Query Addition, like including '6th', which narrows the results if you add it manually, it still does nothing.
Schoolwires' support for (and knowledge of) GCSE ends at entering the engine ID into the console.

Can anyone with some GCSE experience give me any help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
Wow. Unironically. That sucks.

It's not a technical solution, but unless you can hire a consultant (good luck) it looks like you'll have to make a proposal to the district. And I can guess why the previous manager isn't fulfilling that function anymore.

• Locked thread