Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Droopy Goines
Aug 2, 2003

Presented in DTS ES 6.1 where available.
http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/10/david-bowie-to-release-oddest-album-yet-blackstar-in-january/

quote:

Upon its release in 2013, The Next Day marked David Bowie’s first album in 10 years. Fans of the legendary musician won’t have to wait nearly as long for its follow-up. According to the The Times of London, Bowie will release a brand new album called Blackstar on January 8th, his 69th birthday.

The album, Bowie’s 25th to date, contains seven tracks spanning 45 minutes, recorded at the Magic Shop in New York City with a group of jazz musicians. “Blackstar may be the oddest work yet from [Bowie],” The Times notes.

The title track also serves as the lead single and will be released on November 19th. According to The Times, “Blackstar” has a running time of 10 minutes and contains “Gregorian chants, a soul section, various electronic beat and bleeps, and Bowie’s distinctive vocals. There is no radio edit; it’s all or nothing.”

“Blackstar” also serves as the theme for a new UK TV crime drama called The Last Panthers (listen below), and will be featured in Lazarus, a new Off-Broadway play based on the 1976 film adaptation of Bowie’s The Man Who Fell To Earth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6J44zGDb6g

The arguably biggest surprise in 2013 was Bowie dropping a fantastic album after being presumed close to dead for nearly a decade, now he's producing a musical perfectly named "Lazarus" and it was just announced , according to The Times, that his new album "Blackstar" will arrive in January next year (the tile track will be released November 19th.)

While "The Next Day" was a more or less a rock album, this one according to the few people who have heard it is more like the second half of "Low", which sounds great.

Since his last album got released in 2013, he's released two new songs Sue (Or In A Season of Crime) and 'Tis A Pity She Was a Whore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I hope Bowie starts putting out more albums consistently now and keeps getting weirder with them (the latter's pretty much guaranteed at least).

Definitely excited for this one, especially after he did a great job with The Next Day.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Really glad he's just throwing caution to the wind and doing what he likes. It's pretty obvious how hard he's trying to become Scott Walker at this point, with "Heat" and that snatch of song from Last Panthers. This is fine with me though, since it's sounding like a slightly more accessible Walker i.e. Nite Flights, The Hunter. I love Bowie so more of his ridiculous poo poo that sounds like Low or Outside is definitely a plus.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
How serendipitous that this info was revealed the day I finally went to that David Bowie Is... exhibition at ACMI.

Anyway, this has been confirmed by Bowie/the Bowie camp

http://www.davidbowie.com/news/david-bowie-blackstar-55061

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

I was going to say that "close to dead for nearly a decade" was a bit mean since Reality was a good album, but then I realised that came out in 2003 and that I'm very old.

Looking forward to this one

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
The official announcement kind of implicitly disputes that the new music is going to be used in Lazarus, which is interesting.

I've got a ticket to see it in January (I think it opens next month?), excited to see how it turns out.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
I am so goddamn pumped for more Bowie. Sounds like we might be getting a Station to Station-length Low/Outside, which is right up my alley.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
The amount of people in the general public who don't know David Bowie has done stuff since the 80s... is too drat high! Hours and Outside are all-time favorites of mine, and I was pretty drat blown away by most of The Next Day. If he wants to crank up the weird for the next one, by all means. Do we know who's producing yet?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Millions posted:

Sounds like we might be getting a Station to Station-length Low/Outside, which is right up my alley.

What does this mean?

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

From the initial reports it seemed like a 7-track length album (compared to Station to Station's 6) with a lengthy title track, and an overall experimental feel. But the official word is that maybe those reports were wrong? Guess we'll see in January.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Really looking forward to this. I hope that he goes full Scott Walker on us and drops something crazy.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
Station to Station and Low are like the same length, so I found that comment confusing too.

Hyped for the record, obviously. The Next Day was a great album- agree about the Nite Flights vibe to that new song clip, but I'm totally down.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The Next Day is still a regular rotation in my work playlist so count me excited as hell.
(Also Reality, which has got to be up there with Stop Making Sense and Nighthawks at The Diner as best live album)

My favorite output of his is definitely the 90s - 00s stuff but it's all really good (except for his early glam/spacey stuff which doesn't resonate as much with me)

Tour old man! I want to see you and I will pay whatever it takes.
Or Tom Waits.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

The Next Day is still a regular rotation in my work playlist so count me excited as hell.
(Also Reality, which has got to be up there with Stop Making Sense and Nighthawks at The Diner as best live album)

My favorite output of his is definitely the 90s - 00s stuff but it's all really good (except for his early glam/spacey stuff which doesn't resonate as much with me)

Tour old man! I want to see you and I will pay whatever it takes.
Or Tom Waits.

pretty sure he's made it concrete that he'll never tour again, sadly. That last Reality tour where he went batshit and did a zillion shows in 2003 and then had a heart attack was probably the last straw for him. I feel like his public persona is very much a thing of the past, which is why Visconti and Earl Slick were more or less the mouthpieces for promoting and talking about The Next Day.

If anyone's interested in Bowie's work and life's output in general, I highly recommend the incredible https://bowiesongs.wordpress.com/ which has documented every single song he's ever done (up to TND but it's still going) with mindblowing analysis. His major tours are covered there, as well. It really is ridiculous to read how far he's gone, how many personas and variants he's taken on.

Zinc Teeth
Jul 11, 2008
I wish so badly he'd tour. I was in high school and lived out in the wilderness when he did his last tour. It's not fair to younger fans who never got the chance to see him. I'd pay almost any amount of money to see him.

And the next day, and the next, and another day...

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Bowie is God. If he decides to do a one-off show, no matter where it is, I will try to get a ticket. I wouldn't cross the ocean for any other artist.

Droopy Goines
Aug 2, 2003

I was really lucky and got to see him live in 2004 and it was awesome.

I can still feel the bass from 'Afraid of Americans' during that concert, that song is 100x better live.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Droopy Goines posted:

I was really lucky and got to see him live in 2004 and it was awesome.

I can still feel the bass from 'Afraid of Americans' during that concert, that song is 100x better live.

Was that Reality tour or Heathen tour? I saw him on Heathen tour and it was rad. Seeing super famous people who could probably do arena tours if they packaged it right in theaters instead is good. Especially when you have good seats.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

I'm late to the David Bowie party, and I happened to rewatch Labyrinth a couple weeks ago. I got stuck on the soundtrack for it, and decided I should try out some more of his music since it's, you know, influential.

I'm not like, musically uncultured, so I don't know why I never really listened to David Bowie before. But thank you Labyrinth for helping me see the light (and move past you).

I've since listened to the Next Day, Ziggy Stardust, self-titled, Hunky Dory, Heroes, Low, and Station to Station. I rank Low as the best of the ones I've listened to. So fantastic. It's been my working music all day, and I am so in love with it.

I really love the Next Day, and I'm excited to for Blackstar. :)

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Free screening of the new music video in Brooklyn (Thursday afternoon): https://www.eventbrite.com/e/david-bowie-blackstar-tickets-19388397218

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Gnossiennes posted:

I'm late to the David Bowie party, and I happened to rewatch Labyrinth a couple weeks ago. I got stuck on the soundtrack for it, and decided I should try out some more of his music since it's, you know, influential.

I'm not like, musically uncultured, so I don't know why I never really listened to David Bowie before. But thank you Labyrinth for helping me see the light (and move past you).

I've since listened to the Next Day, Ziggy Stardust, self-titled, Hunky Dory, Heroes, Low, and Station to Station. I rank Low as the best of the ones I've listened to. So fantastic. It's been my working music all day, and I am so in love with it.

I really love the Next Day, and I'm excited to for Blackstar. :)

You are in for a treat when you hit his mid-90s onward output - it's definitely my favorite Bowie phase.
Also I strongly recommend the Reality Tour live album as a primer. It spans his a good chunk of his career and is one of the most energetic live performances you're likely to hear.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

You are in for a treat when you hit his mid-90s onward output - it's definitely my favorite Bowie phase.
Also I strongly recommend the Reality Tour live album as a primer. It spans his a good chunk of his career and is one of the most energetic live performances you're likely to hear.

It also really showcases that it was the production of Never Let Me Down and Tonight that made them lovely (I still have a bizarre soft spot for those albums though). The version of Loving the Alien on that album is great

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

You've both convinced me; that'll be the next thing I listen to :)

Thank you!

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe
Even Bowie's worst albums still have some great stuff on them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUVFwI-d5gg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_Uyrvp3Ydc

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

screaden posted:

It also really showcases that it was the production of Never Let Me Down and Tonight that made them lovely (I still have a bizarre soft spot for those albums though). The version of Loving the Alien on that album is great
The production is so 80s it hurts.

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe
While we're talking about Bowie's less-regarded albums, what does everyone think of Black Tie White Noise? For me, it's his strangest album but "Jump They Say" is maybe my favorite Bowie song.

Like, what is this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=829mlJiRCIU
I like it but I can't understand it all.

edit: I forgot how good the title track is though.

zh1 fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Nov 15, 2015

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

BTWN is a very definitive line for me between his 80s career and 90s career. You can really see a lot of material on there that points toward a new creative beginning after his stint with Tin Machine.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

zh1 posted:

While we're talking about Bowie's less-regarded albums, what does everyone think of Black Tie White Noise? For me, it's his strangest album but "Jump They Say" is maybe my favorite Bowie song.

Like, what is this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=829mlJiRCIU
I like it but I can't understand it all.

edit: I forgot how good the title track is though.

The title track came on random for me last night and I actually said "drat, I forgot this song existed". I really like it, and I love Miracle Goodnight, and also Don't Let Me Down & Down. But you're right that Jump They Say is the true gem from the album, and the lyrics are a lot darker than the cool poppy jazzy music would have you think. For those who've never looked it up it's about schizophrenia, and written for a schizophrenic relative who committed suicide.
Overall I'd never call BTWN one of my favourites but I still really like a fair few songs from it. I'm more of an 'hours...' guy. Thursday's Child is 100% my jam.

Droopy Goines
Aug 2, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_t-xOGksOQ

The full video for ★ gets released in 1 hour and 40 minutes.

Countdown here:
http://www.imablackstar.com/

The album cover has also been released:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbOMaEnb3MQ

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

:holymoley: this track owns

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
David Bowie is going full Scott Walker on this one and I'm all for it. I hope that "Sue" makes the album as well.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

That video was weird and awesome. Stoked for the rest of the album 8)

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Song's good

Droopy Goines
Aug 2, 2003

The song is fantastic, I had to watch the entire thing 3 times.

Pyros
Mar 24, 2003

The Leper Messiah
Well, that was certainly strange. Looks like a shorter album, too -- only 8 tracks.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

I don't know what the hell I just watched, but I liked it. January can't come soon enough.

ITunes lists tracks 2 and 5 as explicit, that's a first.

Millions fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 19, 2015

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe
Yikes...that was really not my thing. Sounds like the worst track from an alternate universe Outside. Way too long and only the middle section was interesting. It seems like most people are liking it though, so good on him.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
The title track certainly has vibes from "A Small Plot of Land" from the Outside album, what with the jazzy drumming. Which is good, since it's my favourite track from the album. Bring on Walkerish Bowie!

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I can't get the track (and the video) out of my head. Fantastic stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Rexroom posted:

The title track certainly has vibes from "A Small Plot of Land" from the Outside album, what with the jazzy drumming. Which is good, since it's my favourite track from the album. Bring on Walkerish Bowie!

yeah I am definitely getting 1.Outside feelings from this which is very exciting. I always hoped he would make a "sequel" to it

• Locked thread