Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Today, the Lazarus video clinched it for me, perfectly. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-JqH1M4Ya8

Quite the swan song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid Dick
May 25, 2004

Holy poo poo, did anyone even know he was battling cancer? This really loving sucks. RIP to a legend. :(

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbxp1hC8vts

Bowie wrote "Queen Bitch" as an homage to Lou Reed. gently caress it. He out-Lou-Reeded Lou Reed.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Stupid Dick posted:

Holy poo poo, did anyone even know he was battling cancer? This really loving sucks. RIP to a legend. :(

No, I mean, he's basically been out of the public eye for a decade. I'm amazed they told us he died.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Live for the next hour is Mark Radcliffe playing songs and talking about Bowie on BBC Radio 6:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

It will be listen again on the BBC website afterwards.

E: This is very good. Songs, memories, clips of interviews, tributes. Really worth checking out. :unsmith:

Josef K. Sourdust fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jan 11, 2016

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
You and I just shuffle off this mortal coil with barely a whimper about our death.

David Bowie creates an amazing album out of it.

There's now no reason not to refer to David loving Bowie from now on.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Alan Smithee posted:

Any good readups about his significance? I feel like with music it's a lot harder to just pick and play whille really getting a sense of their work's resonance without knowing the time and context of their releases

I went to see the museum exhibit this book is based off of in Chicago, and it did a great job putting his life into the context of the surrounding time.

Also, for album recommendations, if you want to hear songs you probably haven't heard try Hunky Dory (for the most part) and Lodger, then Heathen.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7nzkv_david-bowie-klaus-nomi-tvc15-boys-k_music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLAiUHcFBzM

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I know it's a pretty standard promotional tactic these days, but I can't help feeling like he previewed so many of the tracks from this album because he just really wanted to make sure he shared them with us before he died. :unsmith:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
In tribute to a musician who I've been listening to consistently since I was 15, and who's got me through happy times and tough times, I'm going to rank the something awful Bowie obit threads.

UPDATED FOR ACCURACY

6. YOSPOS, :rip: david bowie. I didn't read it but it's gotta be the worst.
5. GBS, David Bowie has passed. It's really bad. Lots of useless posts or people just going gently caress. And one guy who says we should all see Billy Joel in concert before he dies lol
4. NMD, David Bowie is releasing another album 'Blackstar' on Jan. 8th. This one's tough because the first part where it's people talking about blackstar is pretty good, then it goes south after he died.
3. Phiz, david bowie died. Some pretty good jokes here, just not a lot of posts/nobody posts in phiz.
2. Phiz, r.i.p. david bowie, aryan fetishist/guy who banged mick jagger (1947-2016) Even less posts, but good tin machine song and better thread title.
1. Fyad, Legendary Artist David Bowie Dies at 69 Good jokes, china girl video on first page.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jan 11, 2016

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Cheesus posted:

You and I just shuffle off this mortal coil with barely a whimper about our death.

David Bowie creates an amazing album out of it.

There's now no reason not to refer to David loving Bowie from now on.

Legends have declarations when their time is coming, they don't move silently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t99KH0TR-J4

quote:

Mercury was so ill when the band recorded the song in 1990, that May had concerns as to whether he was physically capable of singing it. Recalling Mercury's performance, May states; "I said, 'Fred, I don't know if this is going to be possible to sing.' And he went, 'I'll loving do it, darling' — vodka down — and went in and killed it, completely lacerated that vocal."

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

gently caress everything.

Sir Simon Milligan
Mar 27, 2003

Yes, I have walked along the path of evil many times, it's a twisting curving path, that actually leads to a charming block garden, but beyond that evil!

I'm basically speechless this morning. It hasn't sunk in yet, I've been listening to the new album every day since it came out, so this doesn't even seem real yet.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
Well, I guess I picked a good time to finally start listening to Bowie. Really dug Blackstar, so now I guess it's time to go back through his catalog.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
The first verse in Lazarus... :( :negative:.

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
One of my favorite Bowie songs is 'We Are the Dead' from Diamond Dogs. I was always hoping that maybe he'd get around to performing it live one of these days, but apparently he wasn't too fond of the tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUflIrTSwK8

Golden Gate Bride
Oct 23, 2008
knife to meet you
Rip creator of good music

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I'm crying like a baby god drat this is horrible news

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I wouldn't love music if it wasn't for Bowie. I'll miss ya, you fuckin kook

Howling Man
Mar 29, 2014
Completely devastated by this news. I haven't stopped listening to Bowie or reading about Bowie since I woke up to a text from my band mate saying he passed this morning. One of, if not the biggest, influences for me. He will live on forever with what he has left behind.

Bowie Forever.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Now he'll never get to see my contact juggling act :(. I learned to do that thing with the ball from Labyrinth so I could impress David Bowie some day, and now I never will.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Lemmy passed away and now Bowie... gently caress people dying

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I woke up to a text about it this morning and couldn't believe it then I put Low on, then listened to all of black star. What a loving legend. This is so sad honestly his music changed me and of course so many others.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm in shock. Occasionally I hover on the edge of crying but my mind keeps snapping back and forth between different places. I'm glad my best friend texted me when he heard the news, or I would have found out about it from the loving Republican primary thread in D&D.

Wampa Stompa
Aug 15, 2008

I literally have no idea what I just saw in there!
Grimey Drawer
I have no words to express my gratitude for Bowie's creative generosity. The man gave the world over five decades of the best art it's ever seen, literally subsuming himself into his artistic personas for the sake of his work. And instead of quietly retreating to his family when faced with a fatal cancer diagnosis, he wrote some of the most exciting, complex music of his career as a parting gift to all of us. He is truly one of the greatest artists of all time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMitPOgHCLQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1MXonBG5NI

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

Wasn't he gonna have a new album come it this month?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Golem II posted:

Wasn't he gonna have a new album come it this month?

what? thread title, my man

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jesus Christ :smith:

I'm listening to Space Oddity now and going forwards chronologically from there all day today.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

TheQat posted:

what? thread title, my man

Sorry gently caress face

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Golem II posted:

Sorry gently caress face

You're in no place to be throwing insults if you're not going to read the OP or the full thread title.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Make way for the Homo Superior, y'all. :smith:

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

:(

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Goddamn, The Man Who Sold The World is such a great album.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I wondered if Blackstar was what had once been 2. Contamination. I suppose we'll never see it now.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I was fanatically checking the news and twitter this morning hoping it had been mis-reported.
Now the echoes of "A New Career in a New Town" at the beginning of "I Can't Give Everything Away" make so much more sense in a terribly painful way.

It's amazing how strong the facade was up to the end - to the point that he got to see his last release through as he intended. "I’m dying to / Push their backs against the grain / And fool them all again and again". I think we were all sufficiently fooled. I thought he had another decade of music in him at least.

drat.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Labyrinth tonight, for sure.

Wampa Stompa
Aug 15, 2008

I literally have no idea what I just saw in there!
Grimey Drawer

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Now the echoes of "A New Career in a New Town" at the beginning of "I Can't Give Everything Away" make so much more sense in a terribly painful way.

gently caress. The man knew how to say goodbye with class.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

T Bowl posted:

Labyrinth tonight, for sure.

More like The Man Who Fell to Earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

GonSmithe posted:

More like The Man Who Fell to Earth.

I'd do that too but Labyrinth was a movie I loved when I was like 5 years old and was the way I first loved Bowie so it makes sense to watch it for me.

Love the songs on it too, even if it's not his peak.

• Locked thread