Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I like to think he hung on to get the album out, then let people listen to it and review it and go "Man, the lyrics are really weird, I have no idea how to read this album" and then he passes on and lightbulbs go off everywhere. Of course! It's because he was dying!

But he gave us that moment where we saw the album as it was and let it stood on its own, before it became the Final Album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Heard the album again with this in context and god man its so loving good and its so crazy he did this. What a legend

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Eel hovercraft posted:

Boo, gently caress you cancer. Stop it already :mad:.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Cancer sucks but...

Bowie smoked like a chimney for about 50 years and did whatever amount of drugs the stories claimed he did in the 70s.

We should be impressed that it made it to 69!

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Cheesus posted:

Cancer sucks but...

Bowie smoked like a chimney for about 50 years and did whatever amount of drugs the stories claimed he did in the 70s.

My alcoholic 2 pack a day Grandfather who sucked made it to like 78... not impressed, just sad.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
We don't know what kind he had yet. I am surprised he made it so long.

I thought he looked frail in Blackstar, but I thought it was just him aging. :(

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Picked up David Live today at my local record store since I already had everything else they were selling. Dude was crying as he sold it to me, was telling me about getting beaten up for wearing a hunky dory T-shirt back in the 70s in Texas. Probably some poo poo that didn't happen but man.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Am I the only one who prefers David Live to Stage?

Quesselin
May 25, 2007

Men freely believe that which they desire
I'm not ashamed to say I've been bawling my loving eyes out all day. David Bowie has defined my life since I was 10. gently caress this poo poo.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Antti posted:

I like to think he hung on to get the album out, then let people listen to it and review it and go "Man, the lyrics are really weird, I have no idea how to read this album" and then he passes on and lightbulbs go off everywhere. Of course! It's because he was dying!

But he gave us that moment where we saw the album as it was and let it stood on its own, before it became the Final Album.

Yeah, the whole context of it has completely changed. I mean, there was speculation he has really sick and that's why he wasn't doing any press or appearances, but I didn't want it to be real.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah when I first listened to "I can't give everything away" my first thought was "guy dying", but I didn't want it to be true

It didn't hit me until I was listening to the radio this morning and Under Pressure started

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Picnic Princess posted:

Yeah, the whole context of it has completely changed. I mean, there was speculation he has really sick and that's why he wasn't doing any press or appearances, but I didn't want it to be real.

I just thought he was just being a hermit since when his last album hit a few years ago he said he wouldn't make any public appearances at all. Still can't believe he put out 2 really loving good albums after a long hiatus.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
There will never be another artist like him. I'm pretty bummed. Dollar Days is going to be a tear jerker now.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Cheesus posted:

It's not surprising, after analysis, that he didn't live to see 70, but I was only recently surpised to learn that Lemmy did barely make it to 70, which makes the whole thing weirder.

Anaranjado posted:

Picked up David Live today at my local record store since I already had everything else they were selling. Dude was crying as he sold it to me, was telling me about getting beaten up for wearing a hunky dory T-shirt back in the 70s in Texas. Probably some poo poo that didn't happen but man.
I believe it. Among many other things, Bowie was a coded transmission to many of us that our surroundings didn't define us, we had the right to invent ourselves.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I just thought he was just being a hermit since when his last album hit a few years ago he said he wouldn't make any public appearances at all. Still can't believe he put out 2 really loving good albums after a long hiatus.
I didn't think anything of it because he'd been scaling back his touring and live performances for years. He'd reached the age (in "was a rockstar in the 70s" years) where going on a big tour meant traveling with a doctor, and he didn't want to do that. I only ever got to see Bowie live once, as part of Moby's Area2 tour, and I'm glad I caught him when I did.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 11, 2016

Howling Man
Mar 29, 2014
I was really hoping to see David Bowie show up in the Twin Peaks revival.

We aren't going to talk about Judy at all now. :(

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder if Bowie was in remission at some point and it came back - he was adamant while working out The Next Day with his band that he wouldn't be touring, and that was over 18 months ago. Maybe that was supposed to be his final album.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Wikipedia is saying liver cancer.

I'm pretty loving sad today.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Anyone who follows Bowie will know if his admiration for Scott Walker, an admiration that was reciprocated. On Bowie's 50th birthday Walker sent him a message which moved Bowie a lot. Here is a link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V01oQ_BsX00

For any of you prone to tears, you might not want to listen to this in public.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Just remembered that Scott Weiland was heavily influenced by Bowie. He would have been bummed the gently caress out if he had lived another month.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

cheese eats mouse posted:

Wikipedia is saying liver cancer.

I'm pretty loving sad today.

Same thing that took Mick Ronson :smith:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Its so awesome that the statements put out for blackstar were that he was influenced by Kendrick Lamar, Death Grips and Boards of Canada like what the gently caress those are all completely different. He was so amazing always on the lookout for new stuff and stepping out of his comfort zone for it and didn't give a gently caress.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Its so awesome that the statements put out for blackstar were that he was influenced by Kendrick Lamar, Death Grips and Boards of Canada like what the gently caress those are all completely different. He was so amazing always on the lookout for new stuff and stepping out of his comfort zone for it and didn't give a gently caress.

Can you link those statements? That's pretty interesting to hear.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Optimus Subprime posted:

Can you link those statements? That's pretty interesting to hear.

http://pitchfork.com/news/62236-david-bowies-new-album-features-james-murphy-was-inspired-by-kendrick-lamar/

quote:

Visconti also said they listened to "a lot" of Kendrick Lamar while working on the album. "We wound up with nothing like that, but we loved the fact Kendrick was so open-minded and he didn't do a straight-up hip-hop record," he told Rolling Stone. "He threw everything on there, and that's exactly what we wanted to do. The goal, in many, many ways, was to avoid rock & roll."

quote:

Update (11/25, 11:53 a.m.): A new story in Uncut says that Bowie was also inspired by Death Grips on ★, and that he referenced Boards of Canada's "Alpha and Omega" when recording an album cut called "Somewhere". There's also a song on the album called "Lazarus", which is the name of the play that Bowie is co-writing.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Leave it to Bowie to die in the coolest, classiest way possible. That's how it's loving done.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

What kind of synth is that used at the beginning of Andy Warhol? He must've been one of the early adopters of synthesizers since that song came out in 1971 then, huh? I know The Beatles used them on a few songs, but they didn't become widespread until later.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Almost lost it on the bus when I played Thursday's Child. gently caress. I was sad when we lost Lemmy, but this is my Elvis or Cobain, you know? Since my dad introduced me to Bowie when I was just a kid, he's been a favorite. A couple days ago I told my work friends that it was God's birthday and they were fools for not caring. I dunno. I'm on autopilot today. I can't listen to music while I work because I don't want to be the guy who had a public breakdown over a rock star dying but gently caress. The world got a lot less awesome today.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I had Magic Dance stuck in my head all day at work. I was torn between laying down and softly weeping and dancing in my underwear.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
My wife loves Bowie. Just last evening I noticed he put out a new album and mentioned it to her and then this morning, when I was going to work, she came out of the bedroom and said "David Bowie died last night."

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPdY9URPgVI

I'm very close to bawling my eyes out at work :smith:

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
Where the gently caress did Monday go?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Anyone who follows Bowie will know if his admiration for Scott Walker, an admiration that was reciprocated. On Bowie's 50th birthday Walker sent him a message which moved Bowie a lot. Here is a link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V01oQ_BsX00

For any of you prone to tears, you might not want to listen to this in public.

Bowie spent years chasing down Walker and with songs like Heat or even the majority of Blackstar, it sounds like he came his closest to that sound. Wonder what Walker's next album or response to this will be.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Leon Einstein posted:

Where the gently caress did Monday go?

Okay this is just creepy. Did he... know? Did he skip a few pages ahead in the Book of the Dead?

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Okay this is just creepy. Did he... know? Did he skip a few pages ahead in the Book of the Dead?
Maybe he went out with a little help? Wouldn't blame him.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

"Don't believe in yourself, don't deceive with belief, Knowledge comes with death's release."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP2SS8ggLtU

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

What kind of synth is that used at the beginning of Andy Warhol? He must've been one of the early adopters of synthesizers since that song came out in 1971 then, huh? I know The Beatles used them on a few songs, but they didn't become widespread until later.

Sounds to rough to be a Moog so maybe an Arp 2600?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Diet Poison posted:

Almost lost it on the bus when I played Thursday's Child. gently caress. I was sad when we lost Lemmy, but this is my Elvis or Cobain, you know?
Believe me, I know.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFDj3shXvco

How was this man making music this rad 40+ years ago?

How did this man even exist at all?

How?

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFDj3shXvco

How was this man making music this rad 40+ years ago?

How did this man even exist at all?

How?

That's the best song on Rock Band, bar none.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
Listening to Rock n' Roll Suicide in loop today. Bring Me the Disco King is depressing as all gently caress right now:

"Don't let me know when you're opening the door. Stab me in the dark, let me disappear."

Fate wasn't so kind, but god drat did you kick the hell out of life till the very end, Bowie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyros
Mar 24, 2003

The Leper Messiah
Listening to A Reality Tour, I am reminded that this is a really good concert and I'm glad they eventually brought it to CD. It is nearly 3 hours of classics and the best of Heathen and Reality.

• Locked thread