Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez

Found some new original Ryan Archer artwork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

atxsperg posted:

someone once poo poo all over the austin bathroom. requiring a pants change mid day. this was before the new atx office. it facilitated new bathroom rules.
sad state of affairs when "don't poo poo all over the bathroom" is a new rule

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I know a lot of these gifs are being cherry-picked, but does this man have some sort of palsy?
He can't stay still for a second. Each of his videos can easily net ten varieties of wanking motions, an almost heil and dozens inebriated handwaves over a boiling cauldron. He's like David Mitchell telling you about the radar, only it's not a parody.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

The only thing on that list that wouldn't be a candidate for being bolded is the part about cold-like symptoms and nose-bleeds, and not even CIG would be stupid enough to put him on camera in that kind of state.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

blueberrysmith posted:

Found some new original Ryan Archer artwork.

Dammit, busted.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Too many cats. Have a recipe. This is not a chocolate cake recipe, it is a chocolate gateau. It is gluten-free and contains fruit and dark chocolate, so it's legally considered a health food. The recipe was photographed on a potato.

Quotin for posterity.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Hey guys, it's me. I'm Star Citizen, ask me anything.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

DoctorStrangelove posted:

How's the coffee?

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory
While many in this thread and elsewhere have described Chris Roberts as a "troubled visionary" type, who could potentially create something amazing if reality wasn’t such a bitch, or if he’d just listen to reason for once, I want to argue the following:

Any project is constrained, and recognizing, managing and navigating within these constraints is the hallmark of a competent designer (and a grown-up, if we’re being honest here). Having an unconstrained vision is the same as dreaming – it means almost nothing once you wake up and face reality. The vision presented for Star Citizen is not only bland and uninspired, owing to Roberts’ complete lack of creative ability, it was also never as clear as any of the supporters believe. What Roberts has is a feeling, in his gut, and not a vision. If he had this clear, artistic vision of the project, then he wouldn’t be constantly tempted to add to it so significantly. That is not the hallmark of a designer with a brilliant vision – it is the hallmark of an “ideas guy”, and believe me, that is not a positive thing to be labeled.

In the real world, Roberts has no direct experience being the project lead on a hundred-million dollar project. His last successful interaction design project was what - the original Wing Commander? He has been a detriment to every project he has been involved in since then. Roberts is unable to understand the very basics of interaction design, yet he is the lead designer and director of a hundred-million dollar project, and he (believes that he) is beholden to no one. If I asked you “Do you think an 18-year-old kid who decided to spend his 111 million dollar inheritance on one project will be successful?” hopefully, your first question would be “Who is he hiring to actually direct it and do all the real work?” The thought of giving a complete newbie a project of this scale is laughable and ridiculous. We aren’t talking about a veteran of the field, here – we’re talking about someone who doesn’t understand the very basics of many of the technologies he is designing his game around, let alone the field his game is supposed to compete in.

This project was doomed from the start because of Roberts. The person who attracted many of you to the project is the one and only reason why it could never be anything but a complete failure, and this was obvious from the beginning to anyone willing to think critically for a second. Oh, sure, this guy with no relevant experience will overtake an entire industry through the sheer brilliance of his ever-changing, ever-expanding vision. This washed up half-wit, incapable of stating anything precisely, will skillfully direct an incredibly complicated project to the satisfaction of anyone. That happens all the time, I’m sure.

Star Citizen isn’t in danger of being a failure because of budget problems or backer distrust – it is guaranteed to be a failure because of Roberts’ actually retarded cognitive abilities.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Why do birds suddenly appear?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

that commando's got one hosed up .cfg file

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Procedural birb generation is a good idea, right? WRONG! Here is what happens when procedural birb generations fucks up!

Fantail pigeon

Pouter pigeon

"The pouter has a much elongated body, wings, and legs; and its enormously developed crop, which it glories in inflating, may well excite astonishment and even laughter."

Turbit pigeon

"The turbit has a very short and conical beak, with a line of reversed feathers down the breast; and it has the habit of continually expanding slightly the upper part of the oesophagus."

Barb pigeon

"The barb is allied to the carrier, but, instead of a very long beak, has a very short and very broad one. Wonderful development of the carunculated skin about the head ... accompanied by greatly elongated eyelids, very large external orifices to the nostrils, and a wide gape of the mouth."

God drat those are some hosed up birds. Chris has really gone to far this time

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

TTerrible posted:

Does anyone have the list of unclaimed avatars? I'm feeling fancy,.

To the best of my knowledge these have never been claimed:

And these were claimed but are now free to be reused/recycled

Also there's a horrible Ryan Archer monstrosity that needs some jokes inserted into it:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

SelenicMartian posted:

He can't stay still for a second. Each of his videos can easily net ten varieties of wanking motions, an almost heil and dozens inebriated handwaves over a boiling cauldron. He's like David Mitchell telling you about the radar, only it's not a parody.

And bookmarked

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Tippis posted:

... not even CIG would be stupid enough to ...

I can't get behind this statement.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
I am not much of a cook, and this will confirm it, but you can actually make choux pastry without butter. You need to ensure there is enough moisture to survive the pot cooking part, but then the result is essentially the same. It is slightly more flaky and a nicer colour. I don't recommend it as it is difficult to get the egg to combine, but there you go.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Has the "No making GBS threads all over the bathroom" rule worked?

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

SirPhoebos posted:

So Derek-senpai mentioned something called a Warrent Canary and my question is: how is this legal? If a warrant or other legal service specifies that you can't inform other parties that you received it, then taken down the canary can only be construed as telling someone that you received a warrant.

The government can shut you up but it has a hard time to order you to tell lies since that would make the whole system a joke. So the canary can be removed and they can't do anything since doing so would order you to lie.

posting from the past: https://canarywatch.org/

PS: Reddit canary just died.

Risc1911 fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 5, 2016

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Azram Legion posted:

While many in this thread and elsewhere have described Chris Roberts as a "troubled visionary" type, who could potentially create something amazing if reality wasn’t such a bitch, or if he’d just listen to reason for once, I want to argue the following:

Any project is constrained, and recognizing, managing and navigating within these constraints is the hallmark of a competent designer (and a grown-up, if we’re being honest here). Having an unconstrained vision is the same as dreaming – it means almost nothing once you wake up and face reality. The vision presented for Star Citizen is not only bland and uninspired, owing to Roberts’ complete lack of creative ability, it was also never as clear as any of the supporters believe. What Roberts has is a feeling, in his gut, and not a vision. If he had this clear, artistic vision of the project, then he wouldn’t be constantly tempted to add to it so significantly. That is not the hallmark of a designer with a brilliant vision – it is the hallmark of an “ideas guy”, and believe me, that is not a positive thing to be labeled.

In the real world, Roberts has no direct experience being the project lead on a hundred-million dollar project. His last successful interaction design project was what - the original Wing Commander? He has been a detriment to every project he has been involved in since then. Roberts is unable to understand the very basics of interaction design, yet he is the lead designer and director of a hundred-million dollar project, and he (believes that he) is beholden to no one. If I asked you “Do you think an 18-year-old kid who decided to spend his 111 million dollar inheritance on one project will be successful?” hopefully, your first question would be “Who is he hiring to actually direct it and do all the real work?” The thought of giving a complete newbie a project of this scale is laughable and ridiculous. We aren’t talking about a veteran of the field, here – we’re talking about someone who doesn’t understand the very basics of many of the technologies he is designing his game around, let alone the field his game is supposed to compete in.

This project was doomed from the start because of Roberts. The person who attracted many of you to the project is the one and only reason why it could never be anything but a complete failure, and this was obvious from the beginning to anyone willing to think critically for a second. Oh, sure, this guy with no relevant experience will overtake an entire industry through the sheer brilliance of his ever-changing, ever-expanding vision. This washed up half-wit, incapable of stating anything precisely, will skillfully direct an incredibly complicated project to the satisfaction of anyone. That happens all the time, I’m sure.

Star Citizen isn’t in danger of being a failure because of budget problems or backer distrust – it is guaranteed to be a failure because of Roberts’ actually retarded cognitive abilities.

Perfect summary - this is distilled truth.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

And I know there's a lot more avs out there, I just haven't aggregated them all.

HexDog
Feb 4, 2009

Did you see Regis this morning?

Beet Wagon posted:

Also there's a horrible Ryan Archer monstrosity that needs some jokes inserted into it:

I want a space cat av

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

aight :cheers: for that.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Tribes was the fuckin best

I don't care how far back I am, this is getting loving quoted.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

peter gabriel posted:

I just want Ben to admit that thing around his neck is an emergency can opener

Same.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

I just want Ben to admit that thing around his neck is an emergency can opener

As if he's not just devouring people whole in the event of a natural disaster.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Scruffpuff posted:

I can't get behind this statement.

I can't argue that.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Beet Wagon posted:

I have claimed EAR GARY. Thanks Beet.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

How's the coffee?
It is.

Tippis posted:

Why do birds suddenly appear?
Well, whenever the dominating competitor takes his time it gives everyone a chance to catch their breath. So I dunno!

Quavers posted:

Has the "No making GBS threads all over the bathroom" rule worked?
uhhmm. Wha di eh whoa dehpe wuh di eh whoa di.

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

atxsperg posted:

someone once poo poo all over the austin bathroom. requiring a pants change mid day. this was before the new atx office. it facilitated new bathroom rules.

Yeah ...... Sorry about that.

This guy's legit

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Azram Legion posted:

A+ would read again.

For me, I hadn't a clue who Chris Roberts was back when I got involved, I vaguely remembered the first wing commander game as being ok and the movie being bad. In 2013 I thought the idea of pushing technology for a spaceship pc game to see what you can out of it in 2014/15 was good. Now in 2016 it seems a bit dubious but the reason I got out was the LTI sale in Nov 2013, I knew something was off then, I didn't dig into his history till much later.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Azram Legion posted:

Same.

Being an 'ideas guy' with no sense of implementation (or let's be real here, an idea) is like having an 'idea' for a book with no real middle or ending, or theme, or conflict.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

EightAce posted:

This guy's legit

:perfect:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

TTerrible posted:

I have claimed EAR GARY. Thanks Beet.

Happy to help! I'll mark it down as taken!

Mick Jaggoff
Sep 11, 2012

EightAce posted:

This guy's legit

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Well, whenever the dominating competitor takes his time it gives everyone a chance to catch their breath. So I dunno!

Hmm. Maybe I should ask Toops — at least he has implemented the feature in question.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
has anyone said Christ Roberts yet

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

He had to leave his ship to play shootymans...

"Nine doors later..."

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

EightAce posted:

This guy's legit

I love a good goon pants making GBS threads story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Ex-employee gets vetted based on poo poo.

Another glorious day in the verse.

• Locked thread