Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's a cutscene so they could just make a gif and have it running in the background.

That's another thing that gets to me. It's a loving cutscene - Christ Roberts himself "directing" and playing movie guy with his mocap setup - and it looks like he went to Best Buy and bought a "Motion-Capture FX!!!" CD-ROM from the bargain bin and slapped this poo poo together overnight. Never before has one man spent so much for so little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's a cutscene so they could just make a gif and have it running in the background.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Maybe it's literally a window with a very big Gary behind it?

Yeah, that'd be the trickery or fuckery I alluded to. Heaven forfend Chris pick a game engine capable of rendering video screens for his future game about spaceships with copious multifunction displays, all of which are limited to displaying a worse UI than a 1990's ATM machine. Any time they want picture in picture or alternate viewports/multiple camera perspectives it's all gotta be smoke & mirrors or pre-rendered.

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Elephants and roman empire planets confirmed:

https://www.humblebundle.com/cryengine-bundle

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Sundowner posted:

aight this one is perfect. what i gotta do to get an av around here

edit: it's actually his chattering teeth that kill me

You can click New Avatar on the top bar. 5 bucks for yourself, 10 bucks to buy someone else's

Man that is a mighty nice avatar

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Happy Sisyphus posted:

any interest in an alien language for solar plebeian?

Between bouts of overtime, I'm working on translating a few of the startups into two other languages, loving with the audio, handing them off to a friend to see what they hear, blending them and using that as an alien script. Not going to lie though just cannibalizing the transcripts of Croberts screwing the pooch live would take a hell of a lot less effort.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

You can click New Avatar on the top bar. 5 bucks for yourself, 10 bucks to buy someone else's

Man that is a mighty nice avatar

oh yea i didn't even see that up there.

hopefully someone takes that one, it's too good not too. i don't have the disposable income rn for fancy forum niceties :v:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

runsamok posted:

Yeah, that'd be the trickery or fuckery I alluded to. Heaven forfend Chris pick a game engine capable of rendering video screens for his future game about spaceships with copious multifunction displays, all of which are limited to displaying a worse UI than a 1990's ATM machine. Any time they want picture in picture or alternate viewports/multiple camera perspectives it's all gotta be smoke & mirrors or pre-rendered.

The pre-rendered poo poo really triggers me. Motion-capture animations were cool for about 3 seconds back in 1994, after which gamers bitched that the animations take control away from the player. It's one of the main elements that will cause a ding in a game's review score: do the animations take priority over player input? Those are the games people uninstall. And here we are in 2016 watching a guy take 12 seconds to get out of bed, the exact same way every loving time, while we take our hands off the mouse and keyboard, sighing, waiting for the game to let us loving play. Ladders, seats, airlocks, beds - all of it means you're not even playing anything. If you MUST use pre-rendered animations, there are two inviolable rules: 1) Make the animation quick, and 2) Make sure the player input overrides it.

In Star Citizen, the animations are nothing more than in-engine cutscenes. The levels of poo poo this game has attained are absolutely mind-blowing.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels

Why's he making his big formal plea speech to all the citizens in the 'verse with his jacket unzipped, anyway?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Xaerael posted:

The parpman mocap scene looks anything but real. The uncanny valley-ness looks like it's straight from the bowels of the Scorpion King movie.

I'm pretty sure there is no actual "scorpion king" in the Scorpion King movie, that stuff is from The Mummy 2. You're just pretending to be a movie nerd, aren't you? AREN'T YOU?

:siren: STOLEN VALOR! STOLEN VALOR EVERYONE! :siren:

Norefund14days
Feb 2, 2016

NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU PARP IN SPACE.

D_Smart posted:

I'm not sure what's shocking. The fact that you actually found a buyer, or the fact that you actually held onto it this long.

Tried selling my account. No one wants a connie.

Ming Sad.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

Scruffpuff posted:

The pre-rendered poo poo really triggers me. Motion-capture animations were cool for about 3 seconds back in 1994, after which gamers bitched that the animations take control away from the player. It's one of the main elements that will cause a ding in a game's review score: do the animations take priority over player input? Those are the games people uninstall. And here we are in 2016 watching a guy take 12 seconds to get out of bed, the exact same way every loving time, while we take our hands off the mouse and keyboard, sighing, waiting for the game to let us loving play. Ladders, seats, airlocks, beds - all of it means you're not even playing anything. If you MUST use pre-rendered animations, there are two inviolable rules: 1) Make the animation quick, and 2) Make sure the player input overrides it.

In Star Citizen, the animations are nothing more than in-engine cutscenes. The levels of poo poo this game has attained are absolutely mind-blowing.

it's pretty clear you just don't understand triple AAA game development bucko maybe this game isn't for you, eh?

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I love when Roberts talks about all the sweet things he's putting into SQ42 the movie

"Well we got a lot of ideas from like Heart of Darkness, er uh, you know, Top Gun. I dont want to give it away, but there's a homage to Top Gun *grins* it's, well, uh you'll see... we well there's something for the fans"

ITS A loving TOWER FLYBY WE GET IT HOLY poo poo YOURE RETARDED CHRIS

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Tippis posted:

It's the whole “you're not in control of your head” thing that makes SC so ridiculously unsuited for any kind of VR.

You don't understand the Vision, you're controlling the E button that controls the body that controls your head.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Madcosby posted:

I love when Roberts talks about all the sweet things he's putting into SQ42 the movie

"Well we got a lot of ideas from like Heart of Darkness, er uh, you know, Top Gun. I dont want to give it away, but there's a homage to Top Gun *grins* it's, well, uh you'll see... we well there's something for the fans"

Congrats, now he has to rewrite the entire script.

I hope you're happy. Two weeks.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Madcosby posted:

Negative Parprider, the pattern is full.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

MeLKoR posted:

You don't understand the Vision, you're controlling the E button that controls the body that controls your head.

I may not be a neurophysiologist, but that doesn't sound very fidelitous: no-one I know has an e-button that controls their body.
Some may have a different character button that almost does that, though… :wiggle:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Arena Commander was originally slated for December 2013 as the Dogfighting Module. When that time came around, CIG announced that because they had received so much money they wouldn't need to release the DFM as originally planned (as a demo with slapped on netcode that wouldn't make it to the actual game). The original idea was that the DFM would basically show off the promise of Star Citizen and drum up more interest. Since they clearly had a lot of interest already they didn't want to waste backer dollars on lovely code. In early April we finally say the rebranded DFM (now cleverly called "Arena Commander") at the hilariously hosed up PAX East reveal (which I attended). Release was expected in April, then May, and then finally in June they released a single-player only version (remember how the netcode was the original reason for the delay). Multiplayer slowly trickled out until everyone could finally shoot each other by the end of July.

Beer, I think you're great but if I can add because it bugs me, the original release for DFM was meant to be November 2013, it later slipped to December. Then in December once the end of LTI sale was over it slipped again, then everyone uses the June 2014 release date, but it was an extremely slow roll out via Citizen number (+5 days before Citizens noticed nobody had actually received it) and it wasn't until August a full two months later before everyone had it.

The thing I think is interesting from that interview is that even with 9 months to go :lesnick: apparently knows SQ42 won't be out this year, so I really don't know how they can spin this out for another year without a lot more people getting unhappy/banned. The marketing hoops it seems they'll have to jump through this year should be gripping.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Here's the plot of SQ42 in case you want to test your guess:

Team of Citizens is off in space doing nothing, we are introduced to your character and WyldSide, your young wingman who's got a knack for getting into trouble with his superiors. He does a fly by., causing your captain to spill his coffee (and for some reason orders either a black or woman citizen to get him a new one), and while you're smiling about that zany fly-by, suddenly a colony off earth is attacked by the Portmanteau's. Gary Oldman declares war in the biggest snooze fest committee meeting since the Phantom Menace. Your captain, Captain Dallas, aka someting like "Hunter" deems every Portmanteau target viable for destruction. Even innocents. Has he gone to far? What a journey into madness. We must fight the Portmanteau's but also prevent Hunter from launching some nuclear bomb. One mission is against your own ships, but the rest is moving towards some important target.

THE END I just saved you ...

wow, 110 million dollars

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Madcosby posted:

It's ben playing volleyball naked.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Madcosby posted:

croberts recorded himself saying "Negative Ghost Rider, the pattern is full" and will have the tower controller say it at some point.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

It's ben playing volleyball naked.

Aint no computer can calculate that jiggling!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

This seems a good a time as any to repost my own spoilers:

quote:

So we all know the story of how Chris basically dropped his own Squadron 42 spoilers. Summary here:

Bishop, a very well-known and -liked admiral of the UEE—think of him like Maximus from Gladiator—won a battle [with the enemy Vanduul] at great personal loss; his daughter commanded one of the other ships in the fleet, and she sacrifices herself to save Bishop’s ship. That’s one of the reasons why Bishop is haunted.

You start out in the military earning citizenship, and you get your wish to become a fighter pilot. While you’re training, Admiral Bishop and the [UEE] task force go off into Vanduul space and take the fight to them. As you come out to deploy, the news comes through that they’ve lost contact with the task force. Bishop goes missing, and the rest of the game is you trying to find him.

You go behind enemy lines, trying to find out where Bishop is, and you see things that have happened along the way that gives you [a reaction] like, Has he lost his mind? What’s happening? It’s sort of the Ninth Legion mixed with Heart of Darkness.

So you get behind enemy lines, and you find out there’s a Vanduul plan to shortcut past the Earth’s defenses, and you have to stop it.

At the end of it there’s this big last stand, and you get back to human space. But Bishop is still left, behind the Vanduul side, kind of like Commander Cain on the Pegasus in [classic] Battlestar Galactica. You come back a bit of a war hero, and you muster out, and potentially Bishop’s still out there fighting the battle behind enemy lines.

So in the interest of ruining everything for Chris forever, I will finish spoiling his plot. Read at your own risk; goons ruin everything.

Bishop's daughter is not dead, but was captured by the Vanduul. Bishop is taken aback by this information, and the Vanduul make an offer - her life for his allegiance and knowledge. Having already gone through losing her once, he decides to save his daughter's life, and defects, using the task force as cover. It is Bishop's information that gives the Vanduul the shortcut past Earth's defenses.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Madcosby posted:

Team of Citizens is off in space doing nothing, we are introduced to your character and WyldSide, your young wingman who's got a knack for getting into trouble with his superiors. He does a fly by., causing your captain to spill his coffee (and for some reason orders either a black or woman citizen to get him a new one), and while you're smiling about that zany fly-by, suddenly a colony off earth is attacked by the Portmanteau's. Gary Oldman declares war in the biggest snooze fest committee meeting since the Phantom Menace. Your captain, Captain Dallas, aka someting like "Hunter" deems every Portmanteau target viable for destruction. Even innocents. Has he gone to far? What a journey into madness. We must fight the Portmanteau's but also prevent Hunter from launching some nuclear bomb. One mission is against your own ships, but the rest is moving towards some important target.

wow, 110 million dollars

Will there be a light comic relief character like Jar Jar Binks?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Risc1911 posted:

Elephants and roman empire planets confirmed:

https://www.humblebundle.com/cryengine-bundle

There's a conspicuous absence of birds though.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

Jar Jar is really the key to all this.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

peter gabriel posted:

Yes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQqSGlIX0Jk

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Scruffpuff posted:

This seems a good a time as any to repost my own spoilers:

He was also dead the whole time!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

MedicineHut posted:

I presume May means that the latest ToS updated 18 months grace period has not changed.

Wouldnt it be logic to assume CIG will eventually change the ToS again sometime before May?

They may change it; though I doubt it. Instead, I believe that they will hang their hat on the "substantial delivery" nonsense and ignore the noise.

Remember, unless and until someone holds them to it, they can just ignore it.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Madcosby posted:

wow, 110 million dollars

I honestly think this is going to be just a very expensive remake of Rebel Assault 2. Possibly that Iron Sky game, if the backers are lucky.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

peter gabriel posted:

Money appears after the final battle and sandi remarks "I'd buy that for a dollar" It makes absoloutely no goddamn sense,roll credits,full burn plays, instantaneous mass suicides amongst players are reported, the cig team have already cleared out the offices, never to be heard from again.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Some unskippable cut-scene specifics:

Upon finding out about the attack on the Colony, Wyldside will go berserk and demand you in him get in your ships and "take it to them on your terms". You and others will restrain him, then we'll have an emotional moment where he calms down and cries, right before the scene ends with him punching a wall. The amount of clipping in this cut-scene will be uncanny.

While you're heading towards the bombers Hunter has sent to bomb planet X, Mark Hammil will lead another smaller team in a fps cut-scene to stop some computer and capture Captain Hunter. This will all be done in cut-scenes because the fps elements were not in game. At the final attack on some military target, Hammill will release Hunter from the brig, explaining "we need all the help we can get, and besides your attitude, you're one of the best drat pilots I've ever seen"

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I'm starting to think that I'll never get my payoff when this collapses. People like Wulf, Wesha and Dolvak aren't going to suddenly admit they were tools that threw tens of thousands of dollars away on nothing.

My prediction is that Dolvak will just slip into the night. Wesha and Wulf will pull a "Well, it was just disposable income. I don't care. Maybe you should get a better job :smuggo:" before quietly hanging themselves in a closet.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Madcosby posted:

Somewhere in the CIG offices a drone's blood just froze. Should he tell Chris? That will mean 2 months work down the drain but on the other hand if he doesn't and she finds out...

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Madcosby posted:

Some unskippable cut-scene specifics:

Upon finding out about the attack on the Colony, Wyldside will go berserk and demand you in him get in your ships and "take it to them on your terms". You and others will restrain him, then we'll have an emotional moment where he calms down and cries, right before the scene ends with him punching a wall. The amount of clipping in this cut-scene will be uncanny.

While you're heading towards the bombers Hunter has sent to bomb planet X, Mark Hammil will lead another smaller team in a fps cut-scene to stop some computer and capture Captain Hunter. This will all be done in cut-scenes because the fps elements were not in game. At the final attack on some military target, Hammill will release Hunter from the brig, explaining "we need all the help we can get, and besides your attitude, you're one of the best drat pilots I've ever seen"

:eyepop:

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

oh

my

loving

god

edit: someone want a copy of tesla effect or guacamelee gold in return for this av? i'd just buy it myself but i can't rn

also

gettin' read to try this free fly weekend fuckkkkkkk

in other news

finally tomorrow i can play video games again :D

Sundowner fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 17, 2016

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Then I swooped in DAKKADAKKADAKKDAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKA

I turned around and shot up their assesDAKKADAKKADAKKDAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKA

zcrow
May 6, 2014

Ah.. yeah... um... tup tup tup tup tup.. this is something we'll add down the line
i def need a gif avatar like the other cool kids :negative:

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Here is something neat.

I wrote down last night at 3:10 am EST, the counts for money funded, and players entering the game. In the span of 8.5 hours, star citizen gained 5513 dollars and gained 384 subscribers.

1,319,054 user

110,108,920 money 3:10 am thursday march 17 2016

Now its at,

1,319,438 user

110,114,433 money 11:41 am thursday march 17 2016

That averages to 14 dollars spent each "new user" joining. I bet they have dummy accounts set up to funnel in money, without actual spending any money at all. It is a neat trick to scam investors. Inflate the numbers without breaking the books. One neat trick THEY DON'T want you to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ideate
Aug 20, 2002

Madcosby posted:

I'd guess this

The Super Hornet has two seats. Probably completely for this reason.

• Locked thread