Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

BMan posted:

For gently caress's sake just stop

No, let him keep digging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

:justpost:

No, really. Just stop

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

No don't you're like two posts away from unlocking the key to sending AP into a doom spiral keep at it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Truga posted:

All that ketchup

what the hell is this from

and why doesnt your av dance anymore

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
^ beat me to it ^

Truga posted:

All that ketchup

That's loving brutal.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Dusty Lens posted:

No don't you're like two posts away from unlocking the key to sending AP into a doom spiral keep at it.

:gary:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Has anyone got any opinions of refunds and elite dangerous and star citizen?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

I do! They're... uh... good?

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

Truga posted:

Ketchup or Mayonnaise?

Neither, fuckin' ew

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Iron Tusk posted:

Except whatever flavor those exxxxxxxxxxtreme sauces have, it's lost when it just feels like you are eating liquid knives. Spicy is good, spicy to the point of not being able to taste any other part of your food is reserved for lovely wing places.

It depends on the sauce really. I think Habanero is loving delicious but there's people out there with little baby bitch palates that can't stand it. I've had some sauces though that physically assault you and aren't even tasty, it's more like getting pepper sprayed in the throat.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
I too blah think that people should take responsibility for their actions, even if they blah are protected by consumer laws, credit card companies blah blah and so on.

In fact I don't really know what taking responsibility is, nor blah what it means to purchase something really. I just blah really like to project my identity onto private companies.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Hezzy posted:

all I did was point out on a status that it was lovely of RSI to charge people money to receive development information first
It also doesn't make their development process any more "open". Speaking of subscriptions:

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
im surprised they havent elevated star citizen past a regular old AAA game like calling it a AAAA game or something stupid like that.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dusty Lens posted:

A buddy was just informed that they would refund half of his account.

They asked him to choose which pledges he would like to have refunded. Maybe someone recently read Sophie's Choice during a community interaction retreat.

He's going to talk to his bank tomorrow, though he issued an email asking after this policy.

Raskolnikov posted:

Strangely enough CIG also offered me half my account back. What is with "half" and CIG?

Dusty Lens posted:

CIG did the same with me. It just happened to be nearly the dollar exact "value" of the pledges in my hangar and more than I expected to receive so I had no trouble pulling the trigger.

When they offer to refund half your account, do they still close the account and confiscate all the stuff? Or do you get to keep your account and half your stuff?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Romes128 posted:

im surprised they havent elevated star citizen past a regular old AAA game like calling it a AAAA game or something stupid like that.

Each 'A' in 'AAA' stands for six more 'A's when you're talking about Star Citizen. It's just impractical to write them all out, so they came up with the shorthand.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
is ketchup a sandwich

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
I mean ketchup is tasty, but if you put it on fresh produce rather than frozen stuff, it's a bit of a waste.

And when that guy eats his fish, there's more ketchup there than fish. Why not just eat a plate of ketchup? And why did you spend so much time and money buying fresh fish and breading it?

Gravy is great though. Put in some redcurrant jelly, and it is wonderful.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

ShredsYouSay posted:

Ketchup is great though. Put in some redcurrant jelly, and it is wonderful.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said
Place near me right now does house-made tater tots with raspberry-habanero ketchup and i am going to get fat as gently caress

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
A Star Citizen conspiracy theorist wants the aliens they envision in the game.

They linked to this website: PIPERON - THE STAR RACES - Intl. Starseed Network

Which is full of bizarre videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfH3msKq8G8

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Romes128 posted:

But karl already did in this very thread.

Karl_Ramseier posted:

SC is a triple AAA production and you just repeated and confirmed what he said, dumbass.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Mirificus posted:

It also doesn't make their development process any more "open". Speaking of subscriptions:

Please RSI help us to help you take our money.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

LuiCypher posted:

Condiments that you should try if you haven't already:

Ketchup - Only Heinz will do. Get the stuff with actual sugar instead of corn syrup, as I think sugar has a cleaner finish than HFCS.
HP Sauce - Is the boss. Way better on fries than ketchup, but not as good as...
Kewpie Mayonnaise - Despite looking like it's packaged for Seraph's tastes, this is way better than anything you can normally buy in 'Murica.
Chipotle-based Hot Sauces - Hot Sauce? Good. Smoky flavor? Good. Both together? loving awesome.
Okonomi Sauce - A traditional pairing with Kewpie on okonomiyaki, it's sweet and has a distinct enough tang to it that I put it on my eggs instead of ketchup for some variety. Tonkatsu sauce will also work quite nicely.
Spicy Mustard - Don't use the yellow stuff.
Honey Mustard - For when you have to use the yellow stuff.

source your quotes

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
So here we are. Star Citizen - Year Four

quote:

This month in 2012, 34,297 of us crowd-funded what appeared to be an outstanding space combat project by a self-proclaimed visionary.

That game was Star Citizen.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen/description

We did that despite the fact that said "visionary", Chris Roberts, had not even worked on a game in over a decade. He had not only left behind a trail of badly managed projects, a reputation for never delivering on lofty promises, but also one failed studio. His brother's studio, which had also worked on some of his games, also failed (bought by the guys behind the Gizmondo money laundering fiasco) years later.

After leaving the gaming industry in defeat, back in Hollywood, said visionary seemingly repeated the same mistakes through a series of horrid sub-par movies - including a Wing Commander movie. The end result was the operational collapse of said studio, Ascendant Pictures which ended up selling its assets to a third-party studio.

If you are beginning to see a pattern here, pat yourself on the back.

Having reportedly failed to obtain investor funding and the rights to Wing Commander, Chris decided to create the Star Citizen IP instead.

Returning to an industry that had since moved on, he managed to get over $2m from us forgiving types who believe that everyone deserves another chance. All that through lofty promises; NONE of which, four years and $95m later, have thus far been kept. In fact, last we checked, not even 10% of what was promised (see below), has thus far been delivered.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

He had subsequently gone out and hired some of the best (no Ben and Lando don't count. They're just dedicated pawns on a short leash) people in the business. Then him and his wife (which was kept a secret until I made it public), Sandra Roberts aka Sandi Gardiner, reportedly proceeded to treat them unprofessionally.

We all believed in that original "vision 1.0" dream. But then, Chris being Chris, did what he always does: he screwed it all up by not only reneging on promises made, but also by extending the scope of the project to "vision 2.0". All that, knowing fully well that 1) they didn't even have the tech to build such a game 2) there was no way in hell that scope of a game - as pitched - could <strong>ever</strong> be developed

Having FAILED to deliver on even a "vision 1.0" game, Chris and his wife and partner, Ortwin (a media attorney in CA), figured out that there was money to be made in selling PICTURES OF SHIPS (as in JPEGS) instead of actually bothering to deliver a GAME to the people who had, in good faith, PAID for it. All the while subjecting backers to Sunk Cost Fallacy that seemingly forces them to keep funding a "dream" that has since turned into a nightmare for everyone who isn't acting like they're in a cult.

Most of those assets being sold as pictures, are not only for a non-existent game, but they haven't even been built for implementation in said game.

Then, as a slap to the face of backers of this project, in Feb 2015, they surreptitiously made a "material" change to the very TOS which they had written prior and which offered some comfort and confidence to those who kept backing the project. That being, if they failed to deliver the project within 12 months from the projected delivery date (Nov 2014), that they would i) issue refunds ii) provide accounting for where the money went.

Amid accusations of malfeasance, dishonest practices, fraudulent inducement and everything in between, not only have they FAILED to make good on ANY of these promises, but even the very people now trying to get their money back, have been met with lots of resistance. To the extent that, in some cases, not only has it taken almost a month to refund, but they are also reported to be routinely offering people half or less than the money they invested in this project. That aside from the fact that, suspiciously, some people are getting refunds from corporate entities they didn't even give money to. And in some cases, single refund have been coming from multiple entities.

In July, after I heard rumblings about the project being in trouble, I decided to do some research, talk to industry contacts etc. The picture was bleak; so I decided to write about it in order to bring awareness to what was going on. That first blog, Interstellar Citizens, was then picked up by the media.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2015/07/interstellar-citizens/

This is what happened next:

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sniofq

Amid all this, all they have "delivered" thus far, is neither a "game", nor anything that is remotely like the game they promised, but rather a series of half-baked and buggy modules. The sort of things that game modders do on a whim. Namely:

1) Hangar. Where you get to view your ships. Except that it's nothing but a staging area. And nothing else. Plus you can't view all your ships in it.

2) Arena Commander. A dogfighting app that, even after 18 months is buggy, sub-par and has very few players (out of over 700K backers)

3) Social/Planetside. A level (out of 100 promised) that is as bland, as it is empty. And with no redeeming gameplay related qualities

And they haven't met a SINGLE delivery deadline. Not one.

Plus, there are whales who have upwards of $30K invested in this game. These are same people who keep putting money into the game.

And through it all, the extremist supporters of the game are the most anti-social and abusive in all of gaming. And that's saying something. Attacking anyone and everyone - media and/or gamers alike - that voices any sort of dissent toward the game, they continue to bring toxicity to the game's community. And these are some of the people who, if this game ever comes out, that those who just wanted to support and play a game, will be dealing with. Who will want to be a part of that? Yet, they wonder why people are now clamoring for refunds.

In August, as part of my quest for accountability and to bring awareness to this train wreck, I retained three law firms to help wade through this. One of them sent a demand letter to the creators of this project. Rather than offer a response and/or resolution, instead they sent back a derogatory response which you can read over in this blog:

http://www.dereksmart.com/2015/10/star-citizen-the-endgame/

To make things worse, merely months later when some in the media, as well as in gaming proper started paying attention and taking a long hard look at the state of the project, The Escapist wrote a scathing article.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/features/14715-CIG-Employees-Talk-Star-Citizen-and-the-State-of-the-Company

The largely incoherent 'response' from the CEO of a $95m crowd-funded project reads like a kindergarten rant written by someone high on a controlled substance or off their meds.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14979-Chairmans-Response-To-The-Escapist

It gave yet another view of the sort of people we're now dealing with. Not to mention the follow-up baseless legal threat communicated to The Escapist by Ortwin, the media "attorney" partner in this project.

https://popehat.com/2015/10/04/in-space-no-one-can-hear-you-threaten-lawsuits/

None of this should have come as a surprise, given the type of people we're now dealing with and who have been showing their true colors these past months of intense scrutiny and questioning.

As things stand, the project is in trouble. It's late. What's been delivered thus far is mostly a broken mess. The studios are going through layoffs, people are quitting, being terminated etc. And that's just the half of it.

Through all this, the WASTEFUL SPENDING of backer money continues. Ranging from repeated iterations of once completed game assets and tech, to relocating teams to more expensive States; building new offices; spending millions of dollars on the same tech (MoCap, fps module) which bears very little relevance to the game being made; paying late filing fees for UK studios financials; spending money on investigators and legal in taking actions which amount to intimidation and harassment etc. It is a very, very long list we've compiled.

And this was billed as an indie studio that set out to make a game for a group of hardcore fans who were ready, willing and able to fund it to fruition.

To make things worse, in October's CitizenCon event, Chris Roberts, despite previously going on the record as saying the game will be completed and delivered in 2016, stated that he was no longer giving backers delivery schedules for the project. And just like that, what little accountability for this $95m project was left, went out the window. It all translates to: "We've got your money, gently caress you very much, we don't owe you poo poo"

By all accounts and given current trends, this project is on track to be a sudden and CATASTROPHIC COLLAPSE, resulting in the loss of backer money. And there is seemingly nothing that anyone can do about it.

Three years ago this month, nobody saw this coming.

Discuss in my feed or in this forum update where this was originally posted

http://www.dereksmart.org/forums/topic/star-citizen-year-four/

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Sept 30 - Refund started.
Oct 9 - Refund granted on after several back and forth emails about what motivated the decision to ask for a refund. Was told 5-10 days for paypal refund.
Oct 16 thru Nov 18 - CIG account is confirmed closed, but no activity on paypal acct., reopened support ticket asking for update on Oct 16 and again a couple weeks later. Received a half dozen automated "You're in my queue but I still can't talk to you yet" messages.
Nov 18th - This gem arrives -

" I've investigated your refund and it looks as though Patrick did, indeed, request a refund but somewhere along the line it didn't get approved by the finance team. I'm unsure as to the reason for this but nevertheless we'll get it sorted ASAP for you.

I've re-submitted it and highlighted this error for you so your refund should be processed in the next couple of days."

So I read this as:
1.) Finance doesn't know about/approve of CS issuing refunds.
2.) CS is knowingly issuing refunds without Finances approval.
3.) Finance is declining things selectively/just because.

Any one of those makes me happier and happier I chose to bail.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

It's probably enough to just link your "Another summary of things" without also pasting it.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Stanko-Prussian posted:

i am going to get fat as gently caress

You already are.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

FrankieGoes posted:

You already are.

nah, i'm disgusting goon model 3 - terrifyingly skinny

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Angela Christine posted:

When they offer to refund half your account, do they still close the account and confiscate all the stuff? Or do you get to keep your account and half your stuff?

When you get excommunicated you don't get to be a heaven a little bit

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

MrDorf posted:

Sept 30 - Refund started.
Oct 9 - Refund granted on after several back and forth emails about what motivated the decision to ask for a refund. Was told 5-10 days for paypal refund.
Oct 16 thru Nov 18 - CIG account is confirmed closed, but no activity on paypal acct., reopened support ticket asking for update on Oct 16 and again a couple weeks later. Received a half dozen automated "You're in my queue but I still can't talk to you yet" messages.
Nov 18th - This gem arrives -

" I've investigated your refund and it looks as though Patrick did, indeed, request a refund but somewhere along the line it didn't get approved by the finance team. I'm unsure as to the reason for this but nevertheless we'll get it sorted ASAP for you.

I've re-submitted it and highlighted this error for you so your refund should be processed in the next couple of days."

So I read this as:
1.) Finance doesn't know about/approve of CS issuing refunds.
2.) CS is knowingly issuing refunds without Finances approval.
3.) Finance is declining things selectively/just because.

Any one of those makes me happier and happier I chose to bail.

For what it's worth, that also sounds like the kind of low-effort excuse someone would give if they found out someone forgot to hit the "submit" button or whatever. I used to work with a dude like that, who was constantly forgetting to actually order the things his customers wanted special-ordered, and then when they bitched and we realized the issue he'd just rattle off some kind of excuse like "So it turns out even though we ordered it they shipped it to the Pinellas store instead because the guy at the warehouse messed up. I've got another one on the way ASAP."

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Stanko-Prussian posted:

nah, i'm disgusting goon model 3 - terrifyingly skinny

drat, I was just playing the odds.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?

goddammit

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

peter gabriel posted:

:laffo:

For real. I hurt myself laughing at this.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

what is everyone's opinions on ketchup chips?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Grinning Goblin posted:

what is everyone's opinions on ketchup chips?

Poutine chips > Ketchup chips

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Consider this my public statement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4-oHfJNrr0

I, under the name "Bootcha", an investor with Cloud Imperium Games from Nov 13, 2012 till today, have decided to part ways with Cloud Imperium Games. As such, my investment has been returned to me, as is, with no accumulated interest. I no longer have any remaining business, legal interest, or influential bearing with Cloud Imperium Games and their ongoing business operations, and they have no further obligations towards me.

My opinions have been public, honest, and within the terms of my NDA. I enjoyed helping Star Citizen however I could, and was blessed to meet and befriend so many passionate artists, engineers, and designers. However, this project no longer has need of me, nor I of it.

I would like to thank fuzzknot for giving me the kick in the rear end to get this exit ball rolling, Mr. Smart for being frank and open with me, many past and present CIG employees for talking to me, Ben Lesnick for giving me this opportunity in the first place, Imp Zone for shaking some sense into me, and the Goons as a whole for ruining everything.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Poutine chips > Ketchup chips

As long as its not siricha, I'm so tired of everybody putting it in everything, give give me a real spice

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bootcha posted:

I, under the name "Bootcha", an investor with Cloud Imperium Games from Nov 13, 2012 till today, have decided to part ways with Cloud Imperium Games. As such, my investment has been returned to me, as is, with no accumulated interest. I no longer have any remaining business, legal interest, or influential bearing with Cloud Imperium Games and their ongoing business operations, and they have no further obligations towards me.

My opinions have been public, honest, and within the terms of my NDA. I enjoyed helping Star Citizen however I could, and was blessed to meet and befriend so many passionate artists, engineers, and designers. However, this project no longer has need of me, nor I of it.

I would like to thank fuzzknot for giving me the kick in the rear end to get this exit ball rolling, Mr. Smart for being frank and open with me, many past and present CIG employees for talking to me, Ben Lesnick for giving me this opportunity in the first place, Imp Zone for shaking some sense into me, and the Goons as a whole for ruining everything.

Holy poo poo it finally happened. That is amazing.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Bootcha posted:

quote:

Dieses Video ist in Deutschland leider nicht verfügbar, da es Musik von SME enthalten könnte, über deren Verwendung wir uns mit der GEMA bisher nicht einigen konnten.
Das tut uns leid.

Translation: You stole some music therefore I can't view this in Germany! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

For what it's worth, that also sounds like the kind of low-effort excuse someone would give if they found out someone forgot to hit the "submit" button or whatever. I used to work with a dude like that, who was constantly forgetting to actually order the things his customers wanted special-ordered, and then when they bitched and we realized the issue he'd just rattle off some kind of excuse like "So it turns out even though we ordered it they shipped it to the Pinellas store instead because the guy at the warehouse messed up. I've got another one on the way ASAP."

True, but the subtext of the message is shockingly poor given the questions being asked of their company. I actually run a small support group as part of my daily duties, and if one of my reps said something like that to a customer we'd be having a sit-down right quick. It's one thing to mask a mistake with a "technical out", or better yet just own up to it...but it's a different story when you're defending your team by throwing another part of your own company under the bus. If there is some toxic "us vs them" internal bickering between teams then the CS manager may care about the distinction, but the customer does not, and just takes away an impression of a mismanaged mess of a company that they won't continue doing business with. This is of course under the assumption that this was a poorly written excuse and not the truth, which carries a different, but equally disturbing set of implications.

• Locked thread