Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

AP posted:

They've probably going to centralise everything in the UK around F42 anyway.

Though they can't completely close that studio near HOLLYWOOD, obviously.
This all worked out very elegantly. Chris can split the time between the studio that's embarrassing the operation on a weekly basis and the one that's tasked with saving it... Whenever one set of problems becomes to painful to endure, he can find refuge by flying* to another set. It's perfect.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Can't say too much, but I am a member of the evocati and would like to give some initial impressions of 2.4:

It's poo poo.
Well a little bird told me it was actually the start of a snowball of incredible breakthroughs that are really going to surprise people with their swiftness and consequence.

A little whale actually...

Okay, it was a megawhale...

Nevermind actually...

* Business Class, every time because the fans won't know and he deserves to be comfortable...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Booblord Zagats posted:

It's been almost 13,000 posts since I posted last, but I want you all to know I love you. Each and every one

:hfive:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

REVERSE THE VERSE -- EPISODE SUMMARY

Friday May 13th, 2016

This episode featured Lando in LA and Tyler in Austin. For those of you who didn't watch Reverse the Verse, the big reveals are:

1) Lando started a new diet-- a Ketogenic diet. He's miserable -- it's an agonizing, energy-sapping way to lose weight. I've watched a couple of friends try it and they're zombies for awhile. (Note to Sandi: Donuts will knock him out of Ketosis so DO NOT GIVE HIM ANY.)

2) Tyler and Lando explained that the Evocati testing was in part motivated by a desire to reduce their bandwidth costs. This-- in combination with their rather alarming decline in daily revenues reported via their tracker-- might really suggest that husbanding remaining cash is starting to be a more pressing concern. (Don't expect that to mean reductions on lavish expenditures for the CIG LA office. They have to buy nice things and space doors to boost employee motivation in that office...)

Lando, in the course of this discussion, offered a telling soundbite: "The vast majority of people download the game and login once, then never come back."

I'm still inclined to believe they've received additional funding from unnamed sources-- debt or private placement. I don't expect them to run out of cash this year and frankly, it's nice to see them being responsible about spending. So good on them.

3) PG Planets were briefly discussed. Lando said they currently had rocky planets you could drive around but that we won't see that until Jungles, Oceans, and other biospheres have been added. A tall order. Ultimately, they'll be competing with No Man's Sky and Mass Effect:Andromeda when it comes to creating impressive varieties-- and unfortunately, both have been focused on this problem for several years. Because Chris has publicly stated "We have to be better than everyone" at everything -- we are likely to see glimpses of this (in the form of CitizenCon trailers and in-engine gameplay) but not actually be playing with it anytime in the near future. If at all.

4) Tippis: (on Discord) "The procedure is like this: the 3d artists design a ball; the 2d artists create some perlin noise; the planet deisgners add one to the other; the base designers put down a couple of base models; Chris rejects the whole thing because none of it fits together; and then, three cycles later, it gets pushed live… what? It's a procedure for generating planets! No-one else uses this ground-breaking tech!"

5) Lando echoed something Erin said on AtV-- and for those of us looking for additional signs of MVP-related expectations deflations, it was golden-- "If we get half the stuff we're talking about it's going to be great..." (this is an amalgamation of Lando/Erin talk but another telltale...)

6) "The Next Great Star Marine" has been put on hold, as they have been unable to find a sponsor and don't want to pay for it all themselves. (More cash conscientiousness-- yay to responsible money management!)

7) Lando seemed to allude to the possibility of farming mechanics of some kind being in development. He noted with annoyance that Toast loves those sorts of games, but then said "Maybe the next time the Endeavor comes around..." (The Endeavor Biodomes reportedly might include farming of some kind...)

Remember, Elite actually has added Biodomes in the Engineers update. The Braben / Roberts Frenemy Wars continue...

THIS IS IN THE GAME.

Here is what it looks like when you fly over one:

Here is a concept picture of a Biodome module for the Endeavor which I think was used to help sell the ship to backers...

THIS IS NOT IN THE GAME.

----

In closing, this was a not bad RtV. We hope you enjoyed this summary.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 23:48 on May 13, 2016

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

MedicineHut posted:

Thanks a bunch for the summary. Could I possibly ask you for a time stamp for the quoted part? I ll look for the Erin one in ATV.

Erin did a two part interview AND a 10ftC. I wrote about it at the time but you might find INN transcripts mentioning Chris's high standards and Erin's hope for his team to hit some part of the target. Erin may have said a higher percentage - I can't remember.

Lando's comment was in passing but I think in the latter half. Erin's is definitely better-- he did a good job of trying to talk down expectations gently, particularly with the questions he answered for 10ftC. Contrast those with the insipid theorycrafting crap they answered on the latest 10ftD. Their discussion of mission assignments being a byproduct of NPC responses to player clothing choices was insane and yet it actually spawned news articles praising the notion.

Madness. Sheer madness!

G0RF fucked around with this message at 15:04 on May 14, 2016

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Sappo569 posted:

Please don't applaud them for penny pinching now, they did nothing but needlessly spend over $100 million US dollars, and now because they realize the tap is running dry want to cut back slightly?

This is nothing but a mirror image of 19 year old me getting a small raise

"Oh boy now I can afford a brand new car... hmm poo poo those payments are a little more than I thought each month... better cancel the cable TV"

It's polite applause, I assure you.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

ON SPACE FARMING

You know, for all the controversy around the "Is CIG really making a Space Farming Game?" debate, it occurred to me that maybe we should revisit the original AtV episode where the MISC-Endeavor was first revealed.

And what a wondrous episode it is!

It's been hiding in plain sight this whole time. I myself ignored much of what they were saying back when it was first revealed, too eager to put screen caps of the illustration into the old thread for shared amusement... Plus, the Escapist story exploded not long after this episode aired-- and of course, that pretty much rendered all former discussions irrelevant.

We missed it-- it was right there all along, and we missed it.

So, let's talk about Around the Verse: Episode 2.01

Sandi "I like science" Gardiner helps Ben kick the discussion off right here.

RIP: Star Marine Updates

The segment proper begins here.

LANDO: "On this week's AtV BtS we wanted to take a look at The Endeavor Science Pods- which are set to add all kinds of new gameplay to Star Citizen."

The MISC-Endeavor is the brain child of Ben Lesnick and, it would appear, Chris Roberts himself.

I do not yet know if Ben had been made Director of Spaceships at this time, but it seems reasonable to assume that this ship-- and Chris' enthusiasm for it-- may have helped grease the wheels for that particular promotion...

The MISC-Endeavor segment really is as good as distillation of CIG Scope Creep Syndrome as you could hope to get in a 10 minute block. This modular ship was designed on paper to accommodate a variety of attachable pods -- such as a 'general science pod', 'service equipment and crew pod', 'general research pod', 'telescope pod', 'fuel pod', 'particle accelerator pod' and of course Ben's and Chris' favorite, the Biodome pods.

The ship allows up to 6 pods-- 3 on either side.

Let's look at the Biodome pod discussion in particular...

BEN: "So the Biodome pod owes quite a bit to Chris Roberts, who mentioned the movie 'Silent Running' about 30 times in the meeting about the ship design--"

LANDO: (laughing) "Yes he did!"

BEN: "The idea is you have this uh -- you have these big circular pods that are umm BIODOMES. Like the Pauly Shore movie. And uh, they have this hexagonal dome over the top with glass, and there's plants, crops, bodies of water-- all sorts of organic, living things -- and you will fly them off into space, get them to the right place in the green band of a star, and you'll, you'll grow your crops and you'll take them to sell them on planets that can't grow that particular fruit or vegetable or grain-- for a profit."

"One of the things we looked at for all of the pods for the Endeavor was not just how do you do science, how do you do gameplay, but how do you tie that back in to Star Citizen's economy?"

---

Ben then details the other modules and gameplay opportunities-- and though much could be written about each, I think we have all we need to see that indeed, Space Farming not only might be coming, it has to come. Ben pitched it in explicit terms, as a way to introduce non-combat roles into the game. It's been sold as a gameplay option with ties into the as yet non-existent Star Citizen economy.

So, although some are dismissing Space Farming minigames jokingly on Reddit, the opposite is true. Space farming games are coming to Star Citizen. And if they're not, chargebacks are coming to CIG.

End of story.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

his nibs posted:

i heart gorf

I still can't believe it was all sitting right there in the past... and now backers are acting like it's a Goon conspiracy prompted by a bogus insider leak to hype a bogus gameplay mode!

Why was there any doubt?!

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

A backer is sick of CIG's bullcrap <--- :drat:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Have you noticed that Mothman is starting a space sim subreddit?

The capitulation is everywhere- but nobody is ready to admit it.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Going by the comments, it's been a really bad day for CIG, even though nothing new happened in particular. I think the realization that yet another week has gone by without 2.4 opening up caused a sudden rupture of anxiety.

Truly. And backers didn't need any new reasons to worry-- the last few weeks has served up more than enough, and Chris being overseas again and out of reach takes the security blanket away. The funding tracker is worrisome, the aftershocks of COD:IW are still shaking the firmament.

I think a lot of backers have already starting accepting the death of the dream -- but they can't admit it openly. They just know, with No Man's Sky, Infinite Warfare, Andromeda, and all these new indie space games and niche winners popping up (and STARFIELD as the late surprise!) the party is well underway and the Guest of Honor is a no show... And by the time he arrives, the only thing left of the big wild space party night will be the drunks and layabouts. The cool folks moved on to the next hip scene-- space parties are sooo last night.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Pretty much all the objective identifiers that things are bad within the community are on the upswing. half-digested tantrums against derek smart showing up in random threads apropos of nothing. Mothman having another paranoid fit about Goons specifically orchestrating to downvote him. Public prayers that Sean Tracey make an appearance in some capacity. Alot of shitizens saying "maybe you should take a break" to other shitizens. Every siren is blaring.

I'm glad of it!
:eonwe: :eonwe: :eonwe: :eonwe: :eonwe:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

ComfyPants posted:

I'll never tire of the double narrative. The one that claims that a comedy forum several years from the height of its influence and popularity and Derek Smart are a bunch of idiots who know nothing, just jealous, and aren't intelligent enough to grasp what they think will be the best video game experience in history, and yet at the same time this group of nobodies are the single most dire threat to the dreamiest dream team of game designers ever assembled, headed by Space Jesus, the greatest figure in gaming who ever lived, their expert skill at making space fantasies reality, and their war chest of $113 million.

I want to believe the latter is true-- but man, Chris, Sandi, Ben & Co. have some such a masterful job blowing this opportunity themselves and in the end, mostly what we've done is captured the play by play for posterity.

Meanwhile, look at this bullcrap... -- CIG needs to savor these last months of deferential treatment... I just don't think they'll be getting it too much longer.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 06:13 on May 14, 2016

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I've lost 18 pounds so far by keeping track of my calories and drinking unsweetened iced tea instead of diet soda. When I want something tasty I eat it, because I know it's important to not punish myself and instead focus on a large scale lifestyle change.

Protein shakes for breakfast are awesome. This morning was a banana and a shake with 16 ounces of 1% milk, two scoops of Optimum Nutrition double chocolate, and two tablespoons of PBFit peanut butter powder. Tasted good, took no time to make, and filled me up.

Congrats Beer- that's awesome.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

PC Gamer: Mark Hamill talks Squadron 42, Chris Roberts, and calls the backers "the very definition of a Cult Following...'

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Reddit: Unable to find any Arena Commander matches for last 48 hours

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Reddit: Mass Effect Andromeda leaked player report...

I know some of you have sworn off the Mass Effect games after ME:3 frotzed the last act so badly. Or you think you've sworn it off...

I have been unapologetically bullish about this game for quite some time. I will buy it, play it, and love it-- and, like ME:1, I will explore every side quest and planet -- will buy the DLC, and probably play the multiplayer (ME3 was a sign they were starting to get their multiplayer act together and with Frostbite on the backend this time, they just might give us something awesome...)

Putting aside the personal preference issues, though-- lets talk about what Mass Effect: Andromeda is about to do to the Star Citizen / CIG game we've all been watching.

A month from now, Bioware is going to pull back the curtain on years of work at E3. And it's going to blow a ton of nerds on their asses. And it's going to be in some ways even scarier than the recent COD:IW surprise, because Mass Effect is the definitive original sci-fi game franchise of the current generation of console gaming. They're about to show the power of a fully operational AAA studio - and I believe it's going to be like the Death Star clearing the planet.

I will write more on this soon-- but for now, enjoy this early leaked player report about the game- from a guy with a great track record for real Intel on the game...

quote:

Lol, I'm just trying to bring the love baby.

But seriously, coming away from it all that was in my head was "This is a spiritual successor to Mass Effect 1. This is what ME1 was envisioned to be".

I saw as much stuff to do on one planet than practically all the dozen side planets in ME1 lol.

Lol. Game's very far along.

The studio just wanted to approach the full unveiling->launch similar to Fallout 4.

I wouldn't expect it to take up half of EA's presser like Fallout did but it'll be at the show in a big way. Lots of gameplay, media blowout, etc.

More than fine, they're well on track from what I'm told. The game's playable from beginning to end. The delay is only by a few months for extra polish and there really hasn't been any management changes. Chris Wynn was a senior development director and not really in charge of creative ideas, and he was only on the team for about 18 months. Schlerf was lead writer and his role was pretty much done before he left. They've brought on some good talent in the meantime too, including from Naughty Dog.

Having seen a decent chunk of gameplay in action, I think people are going to love what they see. It looks loving amazing.

Well, we haven't really seen legitimate Battlefield 1 gameplay yet so that's hard to say. I don't think it'll be comparable, DICE are masters at their own engine. It's a huge step up from DAI though, some things are comparable to Battlefront, and Bioware's implemented things in Frostbite 3 that even DICE hadn't yet, so they're no slouch in the technical department. The explorable spaces in Andromeda are massive so it's hard to compare directly to Battlefield.

Character models look incredible. Animations are a huge upgrade too.

Well, that's an employee related issue so that kind of stuff isn't really shared with me, but it sounded amicable to me.

Yea they're specifically trying to address the repeating animations in the last trilogy. It's really to do with the limited memory of old gen. They've implemented a lot of new techniques for Andromeda.

And I was mostly talking about facial animation too. It's a huge step up. Pleasantly surprised.

Can't really comment on specifics but there are things that are similar to DAI but much more that's very different.

No idea, but I will say the music was very reminiscent of the original Mass Effect. I immediately thought of ME1 when I heard it. So good.

In fact from everything I saw, all I could think of was "This is what Mass Effect 1 was envisioned to be."

Like I said in the other thread, I saw as many things to do and discover in one planet here as I did the whole lot of side planets on ME1 lol. The Mako is fast, hence the big environments.

Sure, judge it when you see it. But I was pleasantly surprised at how improved facial animations were. Bioware's used a lot of improved techniques this time around. A key issue they've wanted to tackle is specifically that: repeated animations and breaking immersion. Of course, that doesn't meant there are a million animations in the game, but, thanks to focusing on current hardware, there's a lot more that's possible. I think people will be pleased."

(Edit: Despite the exciting rumors, Bioware did not go big with Andromeda at E3. They went light. For the record, I'm a dumbass.)

G0RF fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jul 19, 2016

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Solomonic posted:

You got me over a barrel, G0RF. On the one hand, Mass Effect loving sucks and I don't think I've ever been bombarded with terrible start-to-finish design and aggressive retardation as hard as I was throughout the third game.

On the other hand, if it contributes to the hilarious ongoing self-ownage of Star Citizen, how can I do anything other than welcome it with open arms?
Bioware knows they hurt you, Solomonic-- and millions like you. They know. They were foolish, they took your trust for granted, they didn't really appreciate what you had back then.

And now, like the chastened, foolish boyfriend in some blockbuster chick flick, they're moving heaven and earth for one last shot at your love. They've got the ring picked out, they're ready to commit, and they're going to sweep you off your feet. Just give them this one last chance to make it right-- they're not going to let you down again. You'll see.

At E3, yes-- you'll see.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

El Grillo posted:

I haven't played ME3, I thought they provided a fixed ending though? Might play it some day so interested to know.
Also does it look like they've fixed the lovely animations for Andromeda? I have no interest in playing a game in 2016 where the developers are unaware of the need for their characters to actually be able to express emotions, as opposed to looking like possessed plasticine models of faces. See also: Bethesda
Animations much improved. Maybe not Naughty Dog level but leaps over unmodded Bethesda / ME3.

As to the DLC ME3 ending... I heard good things, but damned if I'm giving Mass Effect another chance after that magic boy Deus Ex Machina ending*!

* (Sees Andromeda show at E3-- opens wallet, preorders deluxe edition and never looks back...)

G0RF fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 15, 2016

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

G0RF fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 2, 2016

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Goobs posted:

thats all just semantic masturbation sir.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Reddit: /pcgaming comment about the "Hellion" pre-alpha

quote:

"I've searched but I can't find their $100 million Kickstarter campaign. According to /r/pcgaming, there's no way a game like this could be created with anything less than that. Are we supposed to believe a small Serbian game studio created this? And it seems like they don't even have an online store. How am I supposed to throw away pour down the drain spend hundreds of dollars on virtual spaceships for a game that may never come out?

Looks like they're just legitimately creating a game they plan to actually release instead of collecting piles of cash from internet fools. Seems awfully sketchy if you ask me."

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

quote:

I mean even when this comedy forum is able to point out valid technical doubts and delivers videos and hints and insider stories to show there is so much wrong and attached with absurd scopes...., why can't the gaming press make their loving job and ask the right questions but STILL fuel the hype and hope to sink even more funding/ donations?

Did video game journalism just fall for this as well? Is this just hope that Crobers saves PC Gaming like Sandi hopes she will have talent some day?
We're in the Nether period at the moment...

G0RF fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jul 19, 2016

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

fuctifino posted:

I found an interesting snippet of info about LAGOS 2035, the pilot that Sandi took part in last year:

I wonder if they used CIG's equipment?

http://dina-wilson-actor.squarespace.com/news/
Good question...

I wonder if this was the project that required the neck tattoos? I'd assumed those were for The Eighth House but she didn't seem to have any in the trailer for that, and one assumes she won't have the in American Satan either, since she plays a "conservative mom" in that one...

It also makes me wonder if LAGOS 2035 was the part she was auditioning for back in the now-deleted episode of Reverse the Verse 15...

...which might explain this...

G0RF fucked around with this message at 12:35 on May 15, 2016

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Hell yes to the rare Tippis :argh: rant.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

G0RF posted:

Hell yes to the rare Tippis :argh: rant.

That said, Pitfall was a drat fine Activision game and it's pistols at dawn if anyone says otherwise.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Youtube: We are Star Citizens

A new game is coming, from assets salvaged from the great Lando leak. And it's going to revolutionize PS2 gaming...

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Can somebody screencap this madness? I'm on a phone but it's just incredible to me to see mental gymnastics like this...

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Daztek posted:

Not only is Croberts saving PC Gaming, he is also saving progress.

Chris Roberts is saving in PC Games.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Dying laughing at this.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

"Thank you Sandi for everything you taught me..."

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

G0RF fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 2, 2016

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Sickening posted:

This thread sucks. RSI has got you all so loving scared to post. Might as well close the thread.

That hurts man...

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Erenthal posted:

So. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but the big thing in 2.4, the thing that will show all the doubters that SC is the next champion of space games and prove DS wrong, is the ability to save your progress? A "feature" that is the basis of computer software since like the invention of persistent memory? This is what the Crobbler has up his black satin sleeve?

"How dare you downplay the Space Galleria?! You shall pay for your insolence!!! And for your cargo pants in spaaaaaaaace!"

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Jason Sextro posted:

The galactic mall better have an arcade and a zero-gravity rollerskating arena, is all I'm saying.

It's going to have a coin-op SataBall and just look at this white hot awesome sauce! You tell me it's not that greatest thing ever and I'll name you liar.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Foo Diddley posted:

Thanks for ruining hotline miami for me forever

I used to think you were cool gorf. I used to think you were my friend ;_____;

I hear players will be able to visit each other's hangars soon. If so, I will make a peace offering of Cargo Pants in space. I will kill pirate swarms to earn the credit to buy them for you. Because I value friendships.

Note: they will vanish with a future update because Persistence!. I'm sorry in advance for they but this is the hand we've been dealt by wiser space gamers than us.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Foo Diddley posted:

aaaah, i'm just mad that whoever made that video hijacked the hotline miami soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MPwsr7WRdk

You think it's anger, but really that's your feet telling your brain it's time to dance and your brain trying to fight the rhythm. But the rhythm is gonna get you, the rhythm is gonna get you, the rhythm is gonna get- yoooouuu-- TO-NIGHT.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

LastCaress posted:

10 for the something is up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbTQWmXFuM0

00:57 - Style Guides
01:54 - Clothes Layering System
04:32 - CIG Careers
08:49 - Realism
10:14 - Personal Lives
13:29 - Innovative Contributions
14:53 - Character Creator
16:43 - Loose Clothing Physics
18:17 - Evolution of SC
20:32 - Favorite Cloth

Here is an excerpt from an Effort Post I will paste in later tonight...

STAR CITIZEN: A FIDELITOUS DOLLHOUSE FOR GROWN MEN TO KEEP THEIR OVERDESIGNED SPACESHIPS IN

As for Star Citizen, it is a universe being built to support 4 years of increasingly absurd spaceship sales. In time, it might deliver truly epic majesty at the micro level. All the wonderous detailing that went into those costly ships through all those endless redesigns -- truly, has any space game ever labored so mightily over its ship assets? (No-- nor will they... Because games aren't the sum of their fidelitous assets. But hey, some of the ships designers are going to walk away from this with some gorgeous portfolios and the world's most amazing demo reels.)

The 2.4 update lays the Dollhouse For Men Gameplan bare. Shops, shops everywhere! You can layer your clothing on your white male spacedoll and have a dress-up adventure with friends! Future missions might even be assigned if you're wearing the right combination of clothing as you strike up a conversation with a fashion-conscious NPC.

These are the unironic gameplay ambitions of CIG for Star Citizen. They said as much on the recent "10 for the Developers". This is the $114M first person universe they have spent four years cooking up while selling amazingly fidelitous spaceships. If you, like Erris at INN, have been chomping at the bit to mix and match your spaceman clothing and layer your outfits for maximum dandiness, your greatest adventure lies ahead, and dumbwards... Space farming adventures in your own fidelitous Biodome attachments can be yours with the purchase of a MISC-Endeavor. And for those who like drink mixing mini-games, the Starliner just might be the ship your doll has been dreaming of...

G0RF fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 16, 2016

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

2DCAT posted:

What game doesn't have apex clothing these days? :confused:

Does it seem to you like their development priorities are strangely out of whack?

This is a game that hasn't even offered female player characters yet, nor does it offer character customization at all. Why should it be rushing to add huge varieties of layerable clothing to its upcoming Space Galleria?

Don't get me wrong-- I'm not criticizing the developer on this because Gaige seems cool and I'm sure it's tricky and frustrating work.

Instead, I'm questioning why this is a front burner concern when it is pretty tertiary to the Space Combat experience. The backers on reddit seem to be wondering the same thing.

I stand by my characterization of 2.4 as a Dollhouse update. I guess they can focus on fixing the tutorial and flight model and other lower priority shortcomings maybe by 3.0.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

"Ladies* and gentlemen, we proudly present Star Citizen 2.4!"

* ladies not included in 2.4

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Danknificent posted:

Which is to say that Chris Roberts promised me a cosmetic pull-string for my character model AND the emote anims so people can pull it, and I can record lines that will be played when this occurs in the verse which I'm sure it will often while I'm tending my space garden.

I fully expect this to be in the gamma version of the game, so my 1500 bucks was not spent in vain.

When Ben announced the MISC-Endeavor, he spoke of his eagerness to offer the backers a wide array of non-combat gaming options. And knowing that I will be able to wear layered clothing that flaps and flutters in the breeze as I mow the space lawn in my Biodome gives me a warm tingling feeling inside. Because as I child, I once dreamed of adventures in space -- and now I will get to have them in full fidelitous glory....

Also, I have never been more hyped for the next Pgabz video than I am as a result of 2.4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Marching Powder posted:

cannot wait to read your effort post on the subject. from the look of that reddit thread the backers really are not happy that playing dress ups is taking priority over flying / shooting things IN SPACE. i can't tell if eightace is serious or not on the subject of farming being the next big thing but i'm very curious to see how much more superfluous poo poo cig can trot out before the backers have an internet tantrum and ask them to fix flying now.

My effort post isn't primarily about the dollhouse thing-- it's more about E3 and the pending implosion of old narratives.

Cig is helping make the case quite convincing, though. The backer revolt against the prioritization of clothing physics is a perfect example. This isn't something anyone besides Erris was clamoring for. Yet it's a frontburner concern for CIG. Why?

• Locked thread