Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Unfunny Poster posted:

Looks like the image in Derek's OP was taken down by Imgur.

Luckily, I copied it when it was still up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

AP posted:

Ken, can you help break through to Karl? I'm worried about him, I think he's got a bad case of the Citizens.

How do you say "Wake up and stop being a crazy cultist" in German?

Wach auf und halt auf ein blöde Kultist zu sein.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

AP posted:

Thank you and may I just state for the record, I really like your Beer and Ham.

You're welcome, but after posting my reply I found Hopper's much better German message: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748466&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=26#post451950117

(I have to make do with high school and vacation level German - I'm from the cheese and herring country west of them.)

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Scrolling across that linked page, I read one image as Valiant Warrior of the PerVerse.

Beexoffel fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Oct 30, 2015

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Phil Burn posted:

Hello

Just wanted to say hi so I don't feel like an awkward lurker anymore. Been reading the SC threads on this site for a couple of weeks and have enjoyed them so much that I decided to join, if only to get rid of the worlds best grandma adverts.

Okay, thanks, carry on.

Also: Emperor Parpatine :gary:

Same.

(Amidoingthisrite?)

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Pogue Ma Hoon posted:

I pretty much said this exact same thing on reddit and was downvoted. They have met their funding goals several times over;
STOP

GIVING

THEM

MONEY
I hope repeating the message will wake up some more people.
It's been eleven months since I first read it:
http://www.tentonhammer.com/editorial/stop-funding-star-citizen
Derek Smart has been patient for a long time before he started writing about this.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Incombibulator posted:

Sometimes though I have to resist the urge to bite back. I'm not always successful.
I miss my catte. :gary::romo::yarg:

I feel you, man. Mine passed away a couple of months ago...

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

jaffyjaffy posted:

Likewise. I had to give her away due to allergies but I still felt like she was my cat. :smith:
I'm sure you took her to a good place and you can confident about her future. Maybe you can visit?

Beexoffel fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 5, 2015

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

jaffyjaffy posted:

Died in a housefire along with the family's dog about a year ago. She went back inside after all the family was out and was found underneath what was a bed with the dog. :smith:
This makes me sad and lost for words... My condolences.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

ShredsYouSay posted:

Lesnick: I have a cunning plan my lord. We do nothing on the game until AFTER we run out of money.

Chris: and that's when we spring in to action?

Lieutenant Lesnick: Oh, sir, if we should happen to tread on a lawsuit, what do we do?

Captain Roberts: Well, normal procedure, Lieutenant, is to jump on an airplane out of the country and scatter your money over many companies.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
The Mars One plan to put people on a one-way trip to Mars is promising quick delivery of many things. I think the leaders of Mars One and Star Citizen have a lot in common in their way to try to persuade people to give them money.

"And again Lansdorp said the Mars One plan will likely change. The budget and timeline on the company's website is simply based on the best information it had at the time, Lansdorp said.
"We'll continue to update our plan with the data we get," Lansdorp said."
http://www.techinsider.io/mars-one-mit-students-mission-not-feasible-debate-2015-8

"Will it take longer to deliver all this? Of course! When the scope changes, the amount of time it will take to deliver all the features naturally increases."
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14839-Letter-From-The-Chairman

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

G0RF posted:

I'd pitch in- though I think maybe it'd be better to have a joke to that effect in Latin. So it's not too on the nose.
"Perdite omnia!" if I've done my research properly.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Pooned posted:

What is a parp? Sorry I haven't read all 10k posts.

It can be anything you want it to be.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
I see a lot of money has been spent on de mocappees' medical insurance costs.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
The vid touches me in its display of memories of hope and anticipation, while ending with release and relief :')

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Danknificent posted:

I come to you now despite a solemn oath to never cave and 9.95; I only wanted to lurk this thread from the shadows until CIG and SC were only a bad memory.

But I have to show support for this Loiosh character. His optimism borders on implausibility, but by god if he isn't the most civilized dude I have ever seen on the internet.

Be strong, Loisosh. Even as all us lurkers wait impatiently for SC to implode, we're all silently cheering you on while clinging stubbornly to our 9.95.

Yes, I speak for all lurkers.

Literally same.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
Anon likes airhorn gas:

(fairly safe for work)
http://imgur.com/YBilMIC

:gary: PAAAARRRRPPPP!

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Iglocska posted:

How is E:D these days? is Horizons out yet? My Python has been on ice since I finished 3 seasons of the walking dead and got up to date with it while playing Euro Truck in space.

I read these SC threads while crossing the galaxy, got back after seven months. I don't know what happened in the bubble lately. Horizons will come in December. Beta starts next week.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Nicholas posted:

Foundry 42 in germany

really utilitarian, kind of cramped but good lighthing, CABINETS

These are actual office of companies whose main goal is to do work. Santa Monica is all about chris and sandi trying to make and impress their hollywood friends, and not at all concerned with productivity when it comes to game development.

^ Actual proper office desk that can be changed in height, leading to more comfort and less RSI. Impossible with those recovered-factory-workbench tables in Santa Monica.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

BMan posted:

I have been infused with glorious purpose.

http://robo-roberts.appspot.com/

It's powered by :science:neural networks:science:

quote:

Greetings Citizens,

As we work in the upcoming location system for Star Citizen Alpha 1.1.5 and we will be an exciting month for the community supporting the FPS weapons of the AOE and Terra Gazette. The Broad Delay and Chris Roberts has been our long term concept sale for the launcher. It may have started building the contact systems for the works that will really reward large space and the simple character and multi-crew ships with the animations make this transport system with the Gamescom functionality to make sure that the message will be introduced with the textures that was a complex camera on the FPS module. The activity of the Arena Commander Star Citizen can provide a better plan to make Star Citizen and make sure that we will have to support Star Marine from an interactive mode where he lets the game should be even major and fun. We have prepared an exclusive internal place to continue a new stream in the new performance of having that set of blockers. This month we welcome the Reliant for the Austin and service more information on the opportunity to add how to the public in the new content to the base new ships. It’s also looking forward to answering Star Marine.

Star Citizen Alpha 1.1.5 releases integration in New Year, the space launch is designed by the Star Citizen team. This work will be passed about the Gamescom programmers which allows us to put together various things that will be outfitted as the progress we started to work ont in ships to the game.

quote:

The Broad Delay and Chris Roberts has been our long term concept sale for the launcher.

I am inspired.

Beexoffel fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Dec 7, 2015

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

quote:

with the fart theory... with 2015 technology we could travel earth - mars in some hours...
In 2015, Roberts Space Industries suppliers used Fart Theory to propel humans to Mars in a few hours.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Amarcarts posted:

Portrait of a Shitizen: Part 1
I can't be certain of any of this, but it's the best lens I have through which I view what's going on here:

It's actually kind of a mistake that 'Sperg' and 'Autism Chariot' are the typical derogatory terms that are thrown out there because I think a lot of the poo poo Lords that make these game communities so toxic are actually not as far on the spectrum as the terms imply. I tend to think of someone far on the spectrum as not understanding social interactions, whereas the poo poo Lord actually has a rather average or even elevated understanding, but are unsuccessful and/or only semi-competent in practice, possibly because of more general personality flaws and/or other life blockers (kids, poor, fat, ugly, etc.). I tend to think of a true autist as more solitary. Sure they don't like being ganked, and would be happy playing X3 instead of EVE online, except EVE online is more interesting from a numbers standpoint because the economy is dynamic and less predictable. It is a higher level of challenge to figure out and exploit.

The key psychological phenomena with the poo poo Lords is that they feel socially powerless IRL so they are looking to compensate for this in-game. You see these types all the time crawling their way up guild hierarchies or running their own guilds so they can start at the top. A common role they try to play is that of the "benevolent dictator". This is why I think these people are not autistic. The veneer of friendliness hiding their anger and craving for social control is actually quite calculated and illustrates an understanding, if only unconsciously, of many principles underlying social interaction. The veneer undoubtedly works on many people who for whatever reason can't see past it, or are tolerant enough of such personalities because of their own overwhelming desire to belong to an in-group (the less ambitious, "approval seeking" personalities of their Shitizen followers are similar but these people perhaps do not have the severe degree of overcompensation that I describe below).

I do not want to call the I see the poo poo Lord as a more or less average person crippled by a combination inferiority complex complicated by overcompensation with a narcissistic superiority complex and emotional immaturity. A King Baby. What they crave is true loyalty, power, and status (understandably human desires that most healthy people have). The root of the pathology though is the inferiority complex. For a variety of reasons they don't love themselves, making healthy relationships extremely difficult. This manifests in depression and is why you tend to see addictions and general impulse control behavior in these types. (I can't help but notice the gifts of alcohol to CIG devs and the liquor bottles proudly on display in the bachelor pad).

Stay tuned for Part 2 coming soon!

This book is becoming real.

Thank you.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

SquirrelGrip posted:

i like my video games like my life; shaky, empty, prone to crashes, financially crippling and everyone wants to kill me

Any sufficiently advanced game is indistinguishable from life.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
David Braben is asking us to be gentle.

quote:

Landing on planets seems to be ‘the new black’ as they might say in marketing circles… You can do it now anywhere on the surface of countless 1:1 scale simulated planetary surfaces in Elite Dangerous: Horizons and landing is coming in the future in No Man’s Sky, Star Citizen (as I heard just now – a major new future feature they announced last night), Infinity: Battlescape and many others. This is a great thing, as open world space games have now truly come back with a bang, and I look forwards to playing them – and also huge congratulations to Chris and the team for raising $100M for Star Citizen!

What both Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous are trying to do is very hard indeed. Both games are incredibly ambitious. I am proud and excited about what we are doing, but what they are doing is ambitious too, and I am looking forward to playing Star Citizen when it is finished. What we are both doing is new; we are trailblazing. The scope of both is vast and quite different, and neither have been done before, so there is no right answer for either of the approaches. It is frustrating to see some of the criticism of Star Citizen online. We should applaud when someone tries something that is hard, that hasn’t been done, not discourage them.

Game development is hard, with a great many independent components to get right. The very best development looks easy, but this is because of a great deal of careful planning by very experienced people behind the scenes working hard to make it happen. Like a swan, there may be frantic paddling of feet underwater, out of sight, but the view on the surface is one of serene beauty with barely a ripple. We are very proud of what we do, we have an incredible community supporting the game, and we have an amazing future.
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=214169&p=3278592&viewfull=1#post3278592

Part of me hopes with him that we're just seeing the symptoms of trying to do something very hard indeed...

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Nyeehg posted:

I've not played a space sim in years but that description just sold me on Elite. If Elite truly has the atmosphere of being lost in space then I need to buy it now.

This is about as lost as I got:

65,000 light years from the sun, which is on the opposite side of the Milky Way disk in the picture. Took me four months to get there (I'm a casual). Only met two other people on the way out.

Beexoffel fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Dec 19, 2015

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
I think 'verse is short for perverse.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Literally Kermit posted:

And Peter, you will be assisting Eowen as official Diamond Frog Goodwill Ambassador of course. As you were already my commissioned officer, you just don't get the illusion of choice :jiggled:

To everyone else in the thread: I will honor time put into this thread towards your Diamond Frog retirement package, in the unlikely event you play Elite: Dangerous long enough to retire.

To Derek Smart: you can play with us too, but will be restricted to saying how much Star Citizen is a scam to three times a day outside this thread and that super secret area of the forum you don't like us talking about. You mat tell us how much your game will be better than E:D, but only once every five confirmed enemy kills.

Also, Derek: Your involvement in Diamond Frog affairs will not be public, unless it causes diehard Star Citizens to buy Elite: Dangerous to try and kill you in-game, which you have to admit would be funny.

Okay good power meeting guys let's get out there keep them home fires burning

How can I get in contact with these frogs made of diamond?
I have a brand new Anaconda and a Mostly Harmless combat rank.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Lack of Gravitas posted:

Have a look in the Private Game Servers subforum
:frontear:

Thanks, will do!

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

MeLKoR posted:

:siren: «Kimsemus libertas est!» :siren:

Original ideia, do not steal. Eonwe contact me regarding licencing prices for SA posters.
"Kimsemus is freedom" - I think he will like that.

Verus posted:

"Liberandus est Kimsemus" is better. :colbert:
"Kimsemus has been freed" - sorry I missed it, grats man!

"Libera Kimsemus!"
"Kimsemus esse liberandum."

"Perdite Omnia!"

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Bait and Swatch posted:

Theres shitposting

and then there is whatever this is, the star citizen of posts i guess

I'm just being pedantic.

And likely wrong.

O I see...

Beexoffel fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 24, 2015

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Beexoffel posted:

I'm just being pedantic.

And likely wrong.

O I see...

See? Digging deeper, apparently the imperative gets an accusative, so it's "Libera Kimsemum!".

I accidentally got it right with Perdite Omnia, because nominative and accusative plural for omnis are both the same.

And now I have started talking to myself here.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
Happy new year to this thread from Germany.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

peter gabriel posted:

If someone wants to make a modern Ghouls n Ghosts MMO I'll buy any jpegs you want

Last year an update was made: http://csdb.dk/release/?id=139257
More levels than the 1986 C64 version.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

aleksendr posted:

Does E:D need a joystick or can you be halfway effective with Keyboard and mouse ? It looks mighty tempting at 19.99 right now..

Most people I know play it with keyboard and mouse and say they feel well in control.
One tried stick and throttle but went back to M&K.

Edit: sorry for the late reply, I'm over a hundred pages behind on the thread.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

G0RF posted:

THANK YOU for that, Fuctifino. That was what I was looking for.

Oh man, Galway is such a legend in the retroscene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ymajs4GdeFI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDoGYlAzT7w

A loss for SC that he left. But I'm also glad that he escaped.

(posting from 200 pages ago)

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

BMan posted:

:siren: Hey Derek, :siren:

I made your Star Citizen blog posts into a neural network. Now you don't have to rehash your old blog posts, the bot will do it for you! Check it out:

http://robo-roberts.appspot.com/derek

(please don't sue me for copyright infringement :ohdear:)

http://i.imgur.com/4dHnZ6o.webm

Beexoffel fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 18, 2016

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

BMan posted:

The Sandi-Bot is live:

http://robo-roberts.appspot.com/sandi

There wasn't a lot of data to work with, so the neural network came out more retarded than usual :pwn:

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
We must have some more respect for the art of pubes defoliation.

quote:

My night began as any other normal weeknight. Come home, fix dinner, and play with the kids. I then had the thought that would ring painfully in my mind for the next few hours: ‘Maybe I should pull the waxing kit out of the medicine cabinet.’ So I headed to the site of my demise: the bathroom. It was one of those ‘cold wax’ kits. No melting a clump of hot wax, you just rub the strips together in your hand, they get warm and you peel them apart and press them to your leg (or wherever else) and you pull the hair right off. No mess, no fuss. How hard can it be? I mean, I’m not a genius, but I am mechanically inclined enough to figure this out. (YA THINK!?!) So I pull one of the thin strips out. Its two strips facing each other stuck together. Instead of rubbing them together, my genius kicks in so I get out the hair dryer and heat it to 1000 degrees. (‘Cold wax,’ yeah…right!) I lay the strip across my thigh. Hold the skin around it tight and pull. It works! OK, so it wasn’t the best feeling, but it wasn’t too bad. I can do this! Hair removal no longer eludes me! I am She-rah, fighter of all wayward body hair and maker of smooth skin extraordinaire. With my next wax strip I move north after checking on the kids, I sneak back into the bathroom, for the ultimate hair fighting championship. I drop my panties and place one foot on the toilet. Using the same procedure, I apply the wax strip across the right side of my bikini line, covering the right half of my hoo-ha and stretching down to the inside of my butt cheek (it was a long strip) .. I inhale deeply and brace myself…RRRRIIIPPP!!!! I’m blind!!! Blinded from pain!!!!….OH MY GAWD!!!!!!!!! Vision returning, I notice that I’ve only managed to pull off half the strip. CRAP! Another deep breath and RIPP! Everything is spinning and spotted. I think I may pass out…must stay conscious…must stay conscious. Do I hear crashing drums??? Breathe, breathe…OK, back to normal. I want to see my trophy – a wax covered strip, the one that has caused me so much pain, with my hairy pelt sticking to it. I want to revel in the glory that is my triumph over body hair. I hold up the strip! There’s no hair on it. Where is the hair??? WHERE IS THE WAX??? Slowly I ease my head down, foot still perched on the toilet. I see the hair. The hair that should be on the strip…it’s not! I touch. .. I am touching wax!! I run my fingers over the most sensitive part of my body, which is now covered in cold wax and matted hair. Then I make the next BIG mistake…remember my foot is still propped upon the toilet? I know I need to do something. So I put my foot down. Sealed shut! My butt is sealed shut. Sealed shut! I penguin walk around the bathroom trying to figure out what to do and think to myself ‘Please don’t let me get the urge to poop. My head may pop off!’ What can I do to melt the wax? Hot water!! Hot water melts wax!! I’ll run the hottest water I can stand into the bathtub, get in, immerse the wax-covered bits and the wax should melt and I can gently wipe it off, right??? *WRONG!!!!!!!* I get in the tub – the water is slightly hotter than that used to torture prisoners of war or sterilize surgical equipment – I sit. Now, the only thing worse than having your nether regions glued together, is having them glued together and then glued to the bottom of the tub…in scalding hot water. Which, by the way, doesn’t melt cold wax. So, now I’m stuck to the bottom of the tub as though I had cemented myself to the porcelain!! God bless the man who had convinced me a few months ago to have a phone put in the bathroom!!!!! I call my friend, thinking surely she has waxed before and has some secret of how to get me undone. It’s a very good conversation starter ‘So, my butt and hoo-ha are glued together to the bottom of the tub!’ There is a slight pause. She doesn’t know any secret tricks for removal but she does try to hide her laughter from me. She wants to know exactly where the wax is located, ‘Are we talking cheeks or hole or hoo-ha?’ She’s laughing out loud by now…I can hear her. I give her the rundown and she suggests I call the number on the side of the box. YEAH!!!!! Right!! I should be the joke of someone else’s night. While we go through various solutions, I resort to trying to scrape the wax off with a razor. Nothing feels better than to have your girlie goodies covered in hot wax, glued shut, stuck to the tub in super hot water and then dry-shaving the sticky wax off!! By now the brain is not working, dignity has taken a major hike and I’m pretty sure I’m going to need Post-Traumatic Stress counseling for this event. My friend is still talking with me when I finally see my saving grace….the lotion they give you to remove the excess wax. What do I really have to lose at this point? I rub some on and … OH MY GAWD!!!!!!! The scream probably woke the kids and scared the dickens out of my friend. Its sooo painful, but I really don’t care. ‘IT WORKS!! It works!!’ I get a hearty congratulation from my friend and she hangs up. I successfully remove the remainder of the wax and then notice to my grief and despair…? THE HAIR IS STILL HERE…….ALL OF IT! So I recklessly shave it off. Heck, I’m numb by now. Nothing hurts. I could have amputated my own leg at this point. Next week I’m going to try hair color……

http://imgur.com/gallery/C4W8M

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

ZenMaster posted:

The lifecycle of the SA poster ITT:

1 - Star Citizen? I head of that, wow, is it out yet?
2 - What the- what is going on in here? Is this some sort of weird party? Who is Beer, Bootcha, and what is a pgabz?
3 - Whoa Derek Smart posts in here? He links a lot of articles... and loxtax?? I better start at the beginning, none of this can be real.
4 - 99 - Whoa that took a week but I am all caught up
100 - It's real, star citizen is a scam, I better post now, oh man, 20 more pages
101-105 ok NOW I am caught up
106 - First post "ANGRY RANT ON HOW MUCH A SCAM SC IS and how gross citizens are"
107- Second post "Hey lookit what reddit said"
108 - "I touched the poop"
109 - Chilling a bit, joining the train wreck in progress, possibly contributing gifs, vids, or sc encounter stories
110 - Watching CIG slowly implode and burn and trying to say anything relevant but knowing you can't contribute anything close to Beer's Sandi email meltdown, Bootcha's escape video, or Major Tom's 'verse escapades...
110 - 5'd a few posts
111 - Where most of us at at now, waiting for the next bomb to drop....

Yes, this is how I joined SA.
Except step 1 for me was "Why is this Star Citizen thread on the Elite Dangerous forums being closed for cooldown every week?".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Amarcarts posted:

that I never thought to save, such as the one where Ben looks like he's in ecstasy because Chris is in the room and Chris has his crazy weird looking old woman hand on Ben's shoulder. It really should be in the OP.

This one?

• Locked thread