Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com

Troposphere posted:

I think it's hard to understand if you haven't experienced it but it happens, a lot

maybe you should conversate with less lame guys.

edit: like me

edit 2: was this reply "mansplaining"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Kleen_TheRowdyDog posted:

it's happened a lot to me while I was at work and that is not a thing I can really get out of. and critiques in college.

my roommate's bf also did it constantly and it was insufferable. eventually you just kind of tune it out

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Kleen_TheRowdyDog posted:

why not mull it over while you have a drink :cheers:

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Troposphere posted:

it's happened a lot to me while I was at work and that is not a thing I can really get out of. and critiques in college.

my roommate's bf also did it constantly and it was insufferable. eventually you just kind of tune it out

Do what a man would do

Tell him to go gently caress himself

I guess this is also mansplaining, but whatever

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

ElGroucho posted:

Do what a man would do

Tell him to go gently caress himself

I guess this is also mansplaining, but whatever

because that never ends badly for women

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Troposphere posted:

because that never ends badly for women

well I guess that means there's nothing you could possibly do but passive-agressively whine about it on the internet and take your frustrations out on completely unrelated people

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
you guys are doing it. you're doing the thing.

Moltke
May 13, 2009

Troposphere posted:

because you're not able to use words to describe this supposedly widespread problem

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
What is man

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Moltke posted:

because you're not able to use words to describe this supposedly widespread problem

what is there to describe? it's when dudes talk over women and explain things to them like they are children because they are women and obviously wouldn't know about whatever. do you want like concrete examples from my life or something?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Troposphere posted:

So in a back and forth discussion it's mansplaining because the otherside hasn't completely agreed with you already? That seems kinda like a toxic term used to stifle discourse then to me.

Modest Mauser
Oct 28, 2009

Troposphere posted:

what is there to describe? it's when dudes talk over women and explain things to them like they are children because they are women and obviously wouldn't know about whatever. do you want like concrete examples from my life or something?

If you gave concrete examples they would just tell you a million ways it was your fault and that you could have been less of such a dumb passive-aggressive bitch idiot woman.
Men have little to zero context as to what any of the things like "mansplaining" are and how prevalent those phenomena are in their interactions with women.

They rarely even consider that perhaps you should not treat people like rubbish, rather their instinct is to tell us how we could have just done something better.

fake edit : lol seriousposting in gibbis.

Moltke
May 13, 2009

Troposphere posted:

it would be a start instead of just accusing people of a thing you said you cant explain

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com
ever since i was made aware of the term by my IRL GF, I find myself pretending that i don't know things that I do, just so i won't be accused of doing it. score a victory for feminism.

edit: like the other day i pretended that i had never heard a tarlor swift.

Kleen_TheRacistDog fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Oct 28, 2015

Moltke
May 13, 2009

Modest Mauser posted:

If you gave concrete examples they would just tell you a million ways it was your fault and that you could have been less of such a dumb passive-aggressive bitch idiot woman.
Men have little to zero context as to what any of the things like "mansplaining" are and how prevalent those phenomena are in their interactions with women.

They rarely even consider that perhaps you should not treat people like rubbish, rather their instinct is to tell us how we could have just done something better.

fake edit : lol seriousposting in gibbis.

yea because passive aggressive whining is fake and never happens but mansplaining is definitely real and common and everywhere

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
is it somehow impossible to be like "shut the gently caress up" though? you won't be murdered you'll just be uncomfortable or it'll feel awesome

Modest Mauser
Oct 28, 2009

yes definitely, i am glad that we are in agreement.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit

Troposphere posted:

do you ever wonder if maybe people talk to you like a child because you watch and passionately discuss children's cartoons and have the brain of a literal child

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Troposphere posted:

passive-aggressive whining knows no gender

you're exactly the same as the spineless man who goes home and swears that one day soon he'll stand up to his bully of a boss and show him what's what

congratulations, being a pushover who avoids conflict (except when you can safely take out your resentments on others who can't do anything to you) is the true gender equality

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 28, 2015

Moltke
May 13, 2009
dick and balls means you can never whine

Coolie Ghost
Jan 16, 2013

sensible dissent dispenser
but what then, is rapesplaining?

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive
as a beta man i get mansplained to also, but this isn't a 'thing' b/c not even beta women notice beta men

Moltke
May 13, 2009
go full gamma and you'll never have to worry about being mansplained ever again

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
here's an example: when dudes try to explain to me how I am not actually gay, which happens so often that I've started saying I have a husband to get them to leave me alone about it

it's mainly nerd guys though one of my casual acquaintances is so bad about it he noticed I had a tattoo from a comic and then proceeded to talk over me about the comic and explain it to me in great detail as if I didn't have a tattoo from it. I just don't hang around that guy anymore because it's terrible and he does it with every topic of conversation and does not do it to the men in the room

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

passive-aggressive whining knows no gender

you're exactly the same as the spineless man who goes home and swears that one day soon he'll stand up to his bully of a boss and show him what's what

congratulations, being a pushover who avoids conflict (except when you can safely take out your resentments on others who can't do anything to you) is the true gender equality

I think you're mistaking me saying "this is a thing that happens" with high pitched whining noises or something

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

City of Tampa posted:

is it somehow impossible to be like "shut the gently caress up" though? you won't be murdered you'll just be uncomfortable or it'll feel awesome

dont, i tried this and my dominant lady boss raped me right there in the boardroom. the secretaries just laughed

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan
didn't read this no doubt hilarious thread but the op is a weirdo and I hope he stays banned

n3wt
Dec 22, 2005
Mansplaining is when Fox news invites experts as guests and then talk over them to make whatever point they'd already decided to make.
Or tell the expert guests they can't possibly be experts because... something something.
See also congressional hearings where anyone who's an actual expert on the topic is excluded so that politicians can debate the issue between themselves.

MansPalining is when a dude is dumb as a bag of rocks but gets a presidential nomination.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Troposphere posted:

here's an example: when dudes try to explain to me how I am not actually gay, which happens so often that I've started saying I have a husband to get them to leave me alone about it

it's mainly nerd guys though one of my casual acquaintances is so bad about it he noticed I had a tattoo from a comic and then proceeded to talk over me about the comic and explain it to me in great detail as if I didn't have a tattoo from it. I just don't hang around that guy anymore because it's terrible and he does it with every topic of conversation and does not do it to the men in the room

probably he really wants to have sex with you

Moltke
May 13, 2009

Troposphere posted:

adult men who still watch cartoons and nerd crushes are annoying i agree (ive had a similar experience) but like what did you do actively to try to get him to stop besides think that he should infer you already knew everything he was saying because of a tattoo? there are no wrong answers

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Troposphere posted:

it's mainly nerd guys though one of my casual acquaintances is so bad about it he noticed I had a tattoo from a comic and then proceeded to talk over me about the comic and explain it to me in great detail as if I didn't have a tattoo from it.

men do this to other men too, it has nothing to do with gender. some people are just know it alls and like to hear themselves talk

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

proof of concept posted:

probably he really wants to have sex with you

i may have listened to you but i dont owe you sex, god

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Moltke posted:

adult men who still watch cartoons and nerd crushes are annoying i agree (ive had a similar experience) but like what did you do actively to try to get him to stop besides think that he should infer you already knew everything he was saying because of a tattoo? there are no wrong answers

I tried to start a sentence and he would just talk over me. it's a fairly obscure design (lol) so it's not like I had the batman symbol tattooed on me and had a chance of not really knowing the source material

an oddly awful oud posted:

do you ever wonder if maybe people talk to you like a child because you watch and passionately discuss children's cartoons and have the brain of a literal child

sometimes

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

i may have listened to you but i dont owe you sex, god

as a man with a penis what you wrote here is baffling to me

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

dont, i tried this and my dominant lady boss raped me right there in the boardroom. the secretaries just laughed

exactly; there have always been women that have no problem telling people to shut the gently caress up and just owning the gently caress out of everyone for all of history.

this poo poo isn't that confusingh just follow the example of the female chad thundercocks, jeez

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Troposphere posted:

I tried to start a sentence and he would just talk over me. it's a fairly obscure design (lol) so it's not like I had the batman symbol tattooed on me and had a chance of not really knowing the source material

at a certain point you just have to yell SHUT UP as loud as you can

Modest Mauser
Oct 28, 2009

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

at a certain point you just have to yell SHUT UP as loud as you can

Which leads to the inevitable and hilarious "wh... what did *I* do ? Why are you mad at me ???"
poo poo, let me make you a list.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
this is exactly why I said it's hard to explain or understand unless you've experienced it

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Moltke posted:

yea because passive aggressive whining is fake

you seem to do a lot of it

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
everyone saying this doesn't exist or is just a reverse-sexist name for something everyone has to deal w is a dude

then a woman comes and says no it's a real thing i've dealt w lots of times (and presumably other women she knows, and they've commiserated) and the answer to her is "no you don't understand"

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moltke
May 13, 2009

Troposphere posted:

so nothing

• Locked thread