Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
So, uh, it looks like we may have come closer to nuclear apocalypse during the Cuban Missile Crisis than we though. And I'm not talking about the incident with the Russian sub.

quote:

John Bordne, a resident of Blakeslee, Penn., had to keep a personal history to himself for more than five decades. Only recently has the US Air Force given him permission to tell the tale, which, if borne out as true, would constitute a terrifying addition to the lengthy and already frightening list of mistakes and malfunctions that have nearly plunged the world into nuclear war.

The story begins just after midnight, in the wee hours of October 28, 1962, at the very height of the Cuban Missile Crisis. Then-Air Force airman John Bordne says he began his shift full of apprehension. At the time, in response to the developing crisis over secret Soviet missile deployments in Cuba, all US strategic forces had been raised to Defense Readiness Condition 2, or DEFCON2; that is, they were prepared to move to DEFCON1 status within a matter of minutes. Once at DEFCON1, a missile could be launched within a minute of a crew being instructed to do so.

Bordne was serving at one of four secret missile launch sites on the US-occupied Japanese island of Okinawa. There were two launch control centers at each site; each was manned by seven-member crews. With the support of his crew, each launch officer was responsible for four Mace B cruise missiles mounted with Mark 28 nuclear warheads. The Mark 28 had a yield equivalent to 1.1 megatons of TNT—i.e., each of them was roughly 70 times more powerful than the Hiroshima or Nagasaki bomb. All together, that’s 35.2 megatons of destructive power. With a range of 1,400 miles, the Mace B's on Okinawa could reach the communist capital cities of Hanoi, Beijing, and Pyongyang, as well as the Soviet military facilities at Vladivostok.

Several hours after Bordne's shift began, he says, the commanding major at the Missile Operations Center on Okinawa began a customary, mid-shift radio transmission to the four sites. After the usual time-check and weather update came the usual string of code. Normally the first portion of the string did not match the numbers the crew had. But on this occasion, the alphanumeric code matched, signaling that a special instruction was to follow. Occasionally a match was transmitted for training purposes, but on those occasions the second part of the code would not match. When the missiles' readiness was raised to DEFCON 2, the crews had been informed that there would be no further such tests. So this time, when the first portion of the code matched, Bordne’s crew was instantly alarmed and, indeed, the second part, for the first time ever, also matched.

At this point, the launch officer of Bordne's crew, Capt. William Bassett, had clearance, to open his pouch. If the code in the pouch matched the third part of the code that had been radioed, the captain was instructed to open an envelope in the pouch that contained targeting information and launch keys. Bordne says all the codes matched, authenticating the instruction to launch all the crew’s missiles. Since the mid-shift broadcast was transmitted by radio to all eight crews, Capt. Bassett, as the senior field officer on that shift, began exercising leadership, on the presumption that the other seven crews on Okinawa had received the order as well, Bordne proudly told me during a three-hour interview conducted in May 2015. He also allowed me to read the chapter on this incident in his unpublished memoir, and I have exchanged more than 50 emails with him to make sure I understood his account of the incident.

By Bordne's account, at the height of the Cuban Missile Crisis, Air Force crews on Okinawa were ordered to launch 32 missiles, each carrying a large nuclear warhead. Only caution and the common sense and decisive action of the line personnel receiving those orders prevented the launches—and averted the nuclear war that most likely would have ensued.

This comes after the recently declassified intelligence white paper that analyzed Able Archer 83, perhaps the closest time the US and the Soviet Union came to nuclear war since the Cuban Missile Crisis.

These articles and papers are only the latest in a series of recently declassified Cold War era documents which have revealed poor management of the American and Soviet nuclear arsenals, most notably in Eric Schlosser's Command and Control, which focused in part on the 1980 explosion of a nuclear-tipped Titan II missile.

But mishaps with our arsenal (called Bent Spear or Broken Arrow incidents when a nuclear weapon is involved) have not ended with the Cold War, including a 2007 incident in which six nuclear-tipped cruise missiles were flown on a B-52 bomber from North Dakota to Louisiana without anyone noticing that the missing warheads were on the bomber. Our missile systems seem to be fairing no better, with reports of morale problems leading to widespread cheating on tests meant to evaluate competency and proficiency with their launch systems.

Does the US have a problem with caring for its nuclear weapons? Is it possible to be more careful with them? Or is an accidental nuclear detonation inevitable if we don't push for full disarmament now? And what, if anything, can/must us responsible citizens do about this?

Please feel free to use this topic to discuss any other related topics to nuclear arms, including British debates about Trident, the risks of nuclear weapons in Pakistan and India, and whatever little bits we know about Russian nuclear weapons (Dead Hand, and so on), though it would be nice to avoid conspiracy theories.

It would also be nice if we can avoid making this about Iranian nukes, but I recognize that such discussion is inevitable, so feel free to bring it up if you feel it's appropriate, though please remember that this thread is meant to be broader than just one country's program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Finally, we have a nuclear-derail deterrent.

Being fair this isn't the only time a nuclear disaster almost occurred - Britain's Trident had a panic after our method of determining if the UK is still standing (BBC Radio 4 is still broadcasting) had an interruption of the signal, leading to the sub leadership nervously preparing to MAD-destruct whoever-got-us.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

Finally, we have a nuclear-derail deterrent.

Being fair this isn't the only time a nuclear disaster almost occurred - Britain's Trident had a panic after our method of determining if the UK is still standing (BBC Radio 4 is still broadcasting) had an interruption of the signal, leading to the sub leadership nervously preparing to MAD-destruct whoever-got-us.

They should really put that on the station somewhere. "Radio 4: Listen to us or die in nuclear fire."

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

"Radio 4: without us Amsterdam would be radioactive ash."

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

sigh maybe theyll get it right next time :(

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
http://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/

World War 2 ended with Einstein being proven correct (relativity used to be quite controversial, the Nazis saw his work as part of the Jewish conspiracy)

We need a true war to end all wars. People don't really understand the power and responsibility of technological civilization - you can make an example of ISIL and hopefully set us down the road to technology-sharing and disarmament.

Xmas Dumpster Fire
May 29, 2001

quote:

According to Bordne's account—which, recall, is based on hearing just one side of a phone call—the situation of one launch crew was particularly stark: All its targets were in Russia. Its launch officer, a lieutenant, did not acknowledge the authority of the senior field officer—i.e. Capt. Bassett—to override the now-repeated order of the major. The second launch officer at that site reported to Bassett that the lieutenant had ordered his crew to proceed with the launch of its missiles! Bassett immediately ordered the other launch officer, as Bordne remembers it, “to send two airmen over with weapons and shoot the [lieutenant] if he tries to launch without [either] verbal authorization from the ‘senior officer in the field’ or the upgrade to DEFCON 1 by Missile Operations Center.” About 30 yards of underground tunnel separated the two Launch Control Centers.

Jesus.

I really hope that there is some kind of exaggeration here. Maybe the Lt. was just pointing out policy or guidelines and wasn't actually threatening to follow through with it.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post
We had a Spaceballs level launch code for a while as well.

As pointed out in the article the code was meant as a safety lock out and wasn't a main launch code.

Several years ago, the general in charge of the Air Force nuclear program was fired due to several drunken incidents, including one in Russia during which he got wasted and dragged an entire envoy to a bar to see a Beatles cover band and then crashed the stage to sing along. Reportedly even the Russians (!) were embarrassed by how drunk he was.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

nowhinezone posted:

We had a Spaceballs level launch code for a while as well.

As pointed out in the article the code was meant as a safety lock out and wasn't a main launch code.

Several years ago, the general in charge of the Air Force nuclear program was fired due to several drunken incidents, including one in Russia during which he got wasted and dragged an entire envoy to a bar to see a Beatles cover band and then crashed the stage to sing along. Reportedly even the Russians (!) were embarrassed by how drunk he was.

John Oliver is, of course, required watching. (He goes into detail about the cheating missileers)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Finally, a thread for me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AJPpHnBJiY

A small documentary on ICBM/ABM development.

Check out the documentary "Trinity and Beyond" for a good primer on US nuclear weapons development.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
And the day before on the 27th, the captain of a Soviet attack submarine cruising near Cuba thought that war had broken out and was ready to start shooting nuclear torpedoes at a US carrier group.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasili_Arkhipov

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

C.M. Kruger posted:

And the day before on the 27th, the captain of a Soviet attack submarine cruising near Cuba thought that war had broken out and was ready to start shooting nuclear torpedoes at a US carrier group.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasili_Arkhipov

Thank goodness a cooler head prevailed.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
http://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/?t=a72674880d83e3c49b6699e50a55db77

1.5 Million Dead - a wall of fire and ash unlike anything from the old books.

A clear choice in the aftermath - swords or plows

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004
For a bit of non-near-apocalypse history, I saw a lecture tonight on Project Sapphire, which was a covert mission to recover/downblend nuclear weapons material from Kazakhstan after the dissolution of the Soviet Union - part of a larger effort to secure nuclear material from former Soviet states. The speaker's perspective was specifically IAEA safeguards and material accountancy and it sounds like they did a pretty good job there as far as controls go. For this type of situation, the biggest concerns are material theft and criticality safety, so there's a lot of process management to ensure that nothing is going missing and that you don't cause a criticality accident.

I'm actually taking graduate classes on nuclear weapons effects and nuclear politics in the middle east at the moment so good timing on this thread. Just off the top of my head, here's some recommended reading if you're interested in nuclear weapons:

The Making of the Atomic Bomb by Richard Rhodes, this is a classic telling of how the bomb was developed, starting with the scientific developments of the late 19th/early 20th century.

The Effects of Nuclear Weapons by Samuel Glasstone and Phillip Dolan, this is a technical guide to what happens when a nuclear bomb is detonated, with tons of graphs and tables. It describes how to calculate the extent of pretty much all the effects, from the prompt gammas to the fireball and the crater, etc. This book is actually cited several times in the FAQ for the NUKEMAP linked by McDowell. This really is the go-to text for calculating nuclear weapons effects.

If you want a sort of quick and dirty but technical guide to the theory behind a nuclear bomb, read The Los Alamos Primer, which has been required reading in at least 3 of my classes. I especially recommend this if you have a technical background and a decent grasp of geometry/kinematics. Very quick read.

I can probably also give recommendations on specific topics of people are interested. Nuclear weapons and their history are really interesting because on the one hand, it shows our capacity for amazing ingenuity and genius when we really need it; on the other hand, it shows our terrible incompetence when managing such a large responsibility and sometimes apocalyptic situations are avoided by sheer luck. I guess that's just humanity!

Phayray fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Oct 27, 2015

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Good job getting the Maiden reference wrong in the thread title OP. :colbert:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

C. Everett Koop posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was mad at that.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Lawman 0 posted:

The doomsday clock at thebulletin.org (The Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists) is currently standing at 3 minutes, representing a very high risk of nuclear war and now unchecked global warming. We only hit 2 minutes in the early parts of the Cold War.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Can nuclear winter reverse global warming?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Arglebargle III posted:

Can nuclear winter reverse global warming?

It would have the same sort of catastrophic effects on agriculture that we do not desire.

A lot of climate change research was influenced by studies on nuclear winter.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

C. Everett Koop posted:

Lawman 0 posted:

1337JiveTurkey posted:

The doomsday clock at thebulletin.org (The Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists) is currently standing at 3 minutes, representing a very high risk of nuclear war and now unchecked global warming. We only hit 2 minutes in the early parts of the Cold War.

Oh huh, I never knew the meaning of the Maiden song title - I'd assumed it was like the '40 minutes to launch a WMD' claim about Iraq in the lead-up to the war. Always figured Saddam's WMD was just too slapdash to match cold war missile speeds.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Until I knew about the doomsday clock I always thought it alluded to the supposed two-minute warning we'd get if the nukes started flying.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

TomViolence posted:

Until I knew about the doomsday clock I always thought it alluded to the supposed two-minute warning we'd get if the nukes started flying.

15 minute warning.

We'd know when the missiles come over the Pole, and then have 15 minutes to react before they'd hit. We'd have less time if it was Submarine based.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

We'd have better reaction times if we could move our pole closer to Russia, but he got too cold.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Arglebargle III posted:

We'd have better reaction times if we could move our pole closer to Russia, but he got too cold.

We have limited Pole resources for such things.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tesseraction posted:

Oh huh, I never knew the meaning of the Maiden song title - I'd assumed it was like the '40 minutes to launch a WMD' claim about Iraq in the lead-up to the war. Always figured Saddam's WMD was just too slapdash to match cold war missile speeds.

You haven't read Alan Moore's 'Watchmen'!?!

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Arglebargle III posted:

We must not allow a permafrost gap.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Isn't it kind of hosed up that nuclear weapons, ie the most destructive weapons around, are the only ones for which one of the stated purposes is to target civilian centers and commit horrible crimes against humanity?

That's what makes me dislike them so much.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Isn't it kind of hosed up that nuclear weapons, ie the most destructive weapons around, are the only ones for which one of the stated purposes is to target civilian centers and commit horrible crimes against humanity?

Ah, they share that distinction with biological weapons, not that it's unreasonable to detest those too.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I know the ranges involved aren't quite the same (unless you're talking exclusively about Chinese rather than including Russian targets as well, in which case they're nigh identical), but America nearly starting a nuclear exchange over Russia putting missiles in Cuba while already having a comparable first strike base secretly stashed away in Okinawa is some loving world class hypocrisy.

What the hell good even is a secret first strike base? How does it deter anyone from anything if you don't tell anyone it exists!? (jk, I'm pretty sure I know the answer is "it's not intended as a deterrent, because if anyone knew about it they'd rightly kick up as big a stink as America did over Cuba, it's there so we can pretend to ourselves that we've got the edge needed to win at global thermonuclear holocaust")

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Precisely. The idea is to kill the bastards. If there's one Russian and two Americans left, we won.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Flowers For Algeria posted:

They are also the only things that have kept us from another major conflict.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
That's not even remotely true. The second world war has just skewed your perception of what counts as major.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
Saying MAD has kept us from having a war as destructive as, or more destructive than WW2 seems pretty accurate.

Not that it has prevented major regional conflicts.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

crabcakes66 posted:

Saying MAD has kept us from having a war as destructive as, or more destructive than WW2 seems pretty accurate.

It is accurate to say that we have not had a war that massive since getting nukes. Attributing a causal relationship here is very much a tiger-repelling rock type thing, especially since (as with the rock) the people pushing the narrative that nukes prevent war are the same people selling the nukes.

I mean, maybe they've helped? But honestly looking at all the near misses it seems much more likely that world war three has failed to occur in spite of, rather than thanks to, nukes.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Oct 28, 2015

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

15 minute warning.

We'd know when the missiles come over the Pole, and then have 15 minutes to react before they'd hit. We'd have less time if it was Submarine based.

We have better warning than that now because of the GPS constellation. Besides its best known purpose, the satellites also have highly sensitive thermal cameras capable of detecting ballistic missile launches. Because ICBMs need to accelerate so quickly, they leave a massive exhaust plume which is detectable from space.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

Renaissance Robot posted:

It is accurate to say that we have not had a war that massive since getting nukes. Attributing a causal relationship here is very much a tiger-repelling rock type thing, especially since (as with the rock) the people pushing the narrative that nukes prevent war are the same people selling the nukes.

I mean, maybe they've helped? But honestly looking at all the near misses it seems much more likely that world war three has failed in occur in spite of, rather than thanks to, nukes.

I'm not sure it's a causal relationship.

It seems pretty clear that without nukes NATO and the USSR would have gone at it at some point.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I know the ranges involved aren't quite the same (unless you're talking exclusively about Chinese rather than including Russian targets as well, in which case they're nigh identical), but America nearly starting a nuclear exchange over Russia putting missiles in Cuba while already having a comparable first strike base secretly stashed away in Okinawa is some loving world class hypocrisy.

Never mind Okinawa, America had ballistic missiles in Italy and Turkey, the latter of which literally shared a border with the USSR. That's why the USSR wanted its own in Cuba, to even things up.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

15 minute warning.

For values of 'we' equivalent to America. Not so much over here in :britain:

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I can see how MAD very probably prevented a war between the USSR and the US, but I'm not that confident it would stop a WW1-style slide into war where interlocking alliances blow a tiny event into one with global consequences.

Reading Command and Control made me develop full-bore nucleomituphobia, which you can read about in my E/N thread on the subject should you want to for some unimaginable reason. It wasn't so much the endless list of narrowly-averted disasters that set me off as the realisation that I hadn't really appreciated nuclear weapons were real on a visceral level, and the subsequent realisation that noone around me really did, either. The extent to which a possible – potentially likely – future event inhabits the same kind of mind space among the public as zombies and aliens do bothers me to the point that I think about it more or less all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

That's not even remotely true. The second world war has just skewed your perception of what counts as major.

We spent nearly 50 years itching for a war with the USSR that never came thanks to MAD.

feedmegin posted:

Never mind Okinawa, America had ballistic missiles in Italy and Turkey, the latter of which literally shared a border with the USSR. That's why the USSR wanted its own in Cuba, to even things up.

Those were so out of date, its part of why Khrushchev's Cuba policy was so laughable: He withdrew missiles in Cuba in trade for withdrawls of US missiles in Turkey and Italy, but we really were not giving anything up, ICBMs had replaced the IRBMs long before that happened, so it was going to happen anyways.

crabcakes66 posted:

I'm not sure it's a causal relationship.

It seems pretty clear that without nukes NATO and the USSR would have gone at it at some point.

Nearly the entirety of Soviet planning and US planning was a dance around how to avoid starting a nuclear war while at the same time being able to fight a conventional.

1337JiveTurkey posted:

We have better warning than that now because of the GPS constellation. Besides its best known purpose, the satellites also have highly sensitive thermal cameras capable of detecting ballistic missile launches. Because ICBMs need to accelerate so quickly, they leave a massive exhaust plume which is detectable from space.

:ssh: GPS has NUCLEAR detonation detectors, the missile blooms are detected by other satellites, specifically SBIRS and SEWS.

I mean, maybe they've helped? But honestly looking at all the near misses it seems much more likely that world war three has failed to occur in spite of, rather than thanks to, nukes.

Even counting Vietnam and the Korean War, our conflicts have been steadily declining in size and human toll. At least between Superpowers.

But yes, MAD has not done anything to stop regional conflicts that are indirectly influenced by said superpowers.

• Locked thread