Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hooded Reptile
Aug 31, 2015
Bacon, ham and sausages rank alongside cigarettes as a major cause of cancer, the World Health Organisation has said, placing cured and processed meats in the same category as asbestos, alcohol, arsenic and tobacco.

The report from the WHO’s International Agency for Research on Cancer said there was enough evidence to rank processed meats as group 1 carcinogens because of a causal link with bowel cancer.

It places red meat in group 2A, as “probably carcinogenic to humans”. Eating red meat is also linked to pancreatic and prostate cancer, the IARC says.

we gonna die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748536

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
Hope this one gets gassed too

Hooded Reptile
Aug 31, 2015
i dont have an agenda, i just think its funny, oh wait

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

wow everything cool and fun is bad for you who knew

Hooded Reptile
Aug 31, 2015

kazr posted:

wow everything cool and fun is bad for you who knew

it is not the butter you believe it to be

Baba Ganoush
Oct 12, 2014
Dinosaur Gum
At least there's still plenty of chickens to eat.

escalator incident
Oct 1, 2005

Sorry for the convenience.
Fun Shoe
i wonder if its worse if i ingest meat rectally

chrisice
Feb 26, 2004

I'd like to love you baby and keep my other baby too.
What about the smoking of processed meats?

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Don't care, still gonna eat it.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
science journalism bad

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
hooded reptile ~easily~ makes another thread

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
This was the top story on the local news here in Wisconsin. They interviewed the president or head or whatever of the Wisconsin Beef Council, and his response was hilariously stupid. Basically it was "well lots of things cause cancer, maybe it was their lifestyle or genetics or something. They can't say it was definitely meat"

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

GAYS FOR DAYS posted:

This was the top story on the local news here in Wisconsin. They interviewed the president or head or whatever of the Wisconsin Beef Council, and his response was hilariously stupid. Basically it was "well lots of things cause cancer, maybe it was their lifestyle or genetics or something. They can't say it was definitely meat"
He's right.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

GAYS FOR DAYS posted:

Beef guy actually has an understanding of stats and is correct. That's why it's "linked to" instead of "causes"

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
lmao says who?

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

HOBBIT MOTHERFUCKERS

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
https://medium.com/@zsupalla/processed-meats-as-bad-as-cigarettes-bad-reporting-on-good-science-ac43a97be603#.ytluzptpa

quote:

If you take those figures together, eating an extra 100g of red meat per day and an extra 50g of processed meat per day will increase your risk of getting colorectal cancer from 0.042% to 0.059% (0.042 x 1.17 * 1.18), assuming these figures stack.

An article published in The Lancet in 2008 based on an NIH-AARP survey shows that lung cancer incidence is 20.3 per 100,000 in non-smoking men and 25.3 per 100,000 in non-smoking women. For people who smoke two packs a day, lung cancer incidence rises to 1,259.2 per 100,000 in men and 1,308.9 per 100,000 in women. This means that a smoking heavily increases your lung cancer incidence from 0.020%/0.025% (men/women) to 1.259%/1.309% (men/women).

This is a much more significant effect than what we see from red meats and processed meats. Put another way, eating more red meat or processed meat increases your risk of colorectal cancer by 17% and 18%, respectively. Heavy smoking increases your risk of lung cancer by more than 5,000% for women and more than 6,000% for men.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

being alive causes death

news at 11

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

in soviet russia, ham smokes YOU

defaultluser
Jan 13, 2007

The person can drink sake for the following five reasons. First of all, for the national holiday. Moreover, it fills with the nectar. Finally, for reasons. Next, to heal the dryness of the place. After that, to refuse the future
Fun Shoe
Everything...

Everything, gives you cancer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsQyru5ACmA

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I trust WHO over people who want to argue in defense of modern animal agriculture.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

SHISHKABOB posted:

I trust WHO over people who want to argue in defense of modern animal agriculture.

pro username/avatar/post combo

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

SHISHKABOB posted:

the WHO doesn't agree with the way the media has been portraying ther research

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

ashgromnies posted:

the WHO doesn't agree with the way the media has been portraying ther research

well both of them can kiss my rear end

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah if you don't eat yummy food your chance is .56% if you do eat yummy food it loving skyrockets to .66%. Quit eating meat now people the end is near.

I will take and dispose of all your awful bacon or ribs or brisket. Don't have meat to send? You can also send me paypal donations to help aid my meat disposal service.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
hulk hogan meat shoes

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i have a 99% chance to get cancer according to all these studies which is hosed up because dying of cancer is lame. id rather go out in a blaze of glory and cocaine and gasoline but that didnt work and now i cant play guitar. i guess what im saying is that you only have one death so you should have fun with it. jump off of a blimp, flick off an alligator snapping turtle. end communication

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
man it sure does suck that all those people in the past who ate red meat died and the human race no longer exists cause we all got cancer and died

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Moola posted:

man it sure does suck that all those people in the past who ate red meat died and the human race no longer exists cause we all got cancer and died

keep in mind that people in the past didnt know about cancer and chalked it up to unhelpful vapors

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

tater_salad posted:

Yeah if you don't eat yummy food your chance is .56% if you do eat yummy food it loving skyrockets to .66%. Quit eating meat now people the end is near.

I will take and dispose of all your awful bacon or ribs or brisket. Don't have meat to send? You can also send me paypal donations to help aid my meat disposal service.

The meat industry is bad.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
one of my neighbors growing up was a kind man who had been a submarine sailor in the US navy in WW2 and when he got colon cancer the doctors chopped up his colon and served it to him and he ate it and died

quote:

And patients can do anything they want afterward, Hyman notes. Colostomy appliances poo poo bags are clean, closed systems. People can go swimming at the pool or beach or jump in the hot tub. For extra coverage, women may opt for a one-piece swimsuit and men may decide to wear a T-shirt with their bathing suit – or not. Doctors advise avoiding situps or lifting anything heavy for several weeks after surgery. Otherwise, patients can ramp up their endurance, balance and strength by walking, jogging, yoga and other types of exercise.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I ate grilled chicken breast and boiled potatoes for dinner tonight

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
gently caress off nooner

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

Why does processed meat still exist in TYOOL 2015 when we have refrigeration? What is this Somalia?

Incomplete Fish
Apr 22, 2006

Grimey Drawer
By time you face the effects of even the most acute meat-induced cancers you'll probably be at the stage where a colostomy bag is more convenient anyway. Prepare now for your nitrated future.

also tbqh I have a hard time believing a single person is going to change their habits after hearing of this, how old is The Jungle???

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Nooner posted:

I ate grilled chicken breast and boiled potatoes for dinner tonight

fish broccoli and potato here.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
Well thank god I only eat veg lean quizine. Looks like I'm safe

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002