Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Oh those nuclear - powered axes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

A bit clunky but I will give it a shot.

You are a nerd
Apr 9, 2003

See?
Did this actually have a human writer or was it made by some computerized comic book dialog algorithm?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Reset Smith posted:

I can't believe someone got paid to write this. This is just embarrassing.

Yeah, I've got to say this is one of the worst written pilots in recent memory.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's not even the worst on CBS this season.

Gaussian
Sep 20, 2001

I'll give you a box of chocolates if you kill me.

Nap Ghost
It's poorly written, but I'll give it a chance just for Benoist. She's great! Also glad to see an ad for The Flash at the end of it.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

And yet most of the critics have said its the best drama pilot of season. Which is more of an indictment of the quality of the new dramas this season I grant you. There were some rough patches, but Benoist is as charming as all get out, so I think it's good,

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008
It looked good. The plot was sort of all over the place.

Seems like it's going to be hard to keep dancing around Supes. "Her cousin, your cousin".

Benoist is fun.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008
Also I'm picturing drunk Jeb Bush googling "Melissa Benoist show me her naked"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They've had feedback on the cousin stuff for months now, so I'd have to think they either use his name, or stop referring to him so much.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I'll give it a chance, Melissa is great. Something really bothers me that I'm sure everyone noticed, tip-toeing around Superman. Look, I get it; it's her show. But ignoring the elephant in the room is real loving obvious. The solution is real simple: he shows up from time to time, but only as Clark Kent. Maybe in private moments with Kara as 'Kal'. But never in the suit, never showing off powers, never in a fight.

Because the alternative, having Superman be this shadow that never speaks, is loving bullshit.

JamesBCrazy
Jul 1, 2014

Vengeance is a sucker's game.
They said "cousin" nine times and "Superman" once. I guess it's just that kind of show.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Iowa Snow King posted:

The plot was sort of all over the place.

They tried to fit too much in I think.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mooseontheloose posted:

They tried to fit too much in I think.

The government organization could have waited an episode. Bring her in because of the axe guy fight or something.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Iowa Snow King posted:

Homeland S01E02.

I'd looked her up when the show was announced because she looked familiar.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

The government organization could have waited an episode. Bring her in because of the axe guy fight or something.

Yah, or develop her discovering her powers more.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Mister Kingdom posted:

Homeland S01E02.

Or the Fappening.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

I'm a woman, I get that there's different strokes for different folks. You have Agent Carter, Melinda May, Skye/Daisy Johnson/Quake, Jemma Simmons, Bobbi Morse/Mockingbird, Caitlin Snow, Iris West, Patty Spivot, Felicity Smoak, Speedy, and Laurel Lance/Sara Lance/Black Canary(s). Take any one of them and there's someone that can relate to them, picture themselves in that role. And I get that Supergirl fits that bit now. But really, the overuse of "girl power" phrases is what stuck in my craw.

"Why, because she's a girl?" "I'm a girl," "Finally someone my girl can look up to."

You don't have to point it out so many times for it to be a strong, empowering phrase. It feels like they took writers from Disney Junior's Princess Sofia or Doc McStuffins for this.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Any changes since the leak 6 months ago? Effects, editing, etc?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

It was funny how Cyborg Superman didn't give a poo poo about "secret identities" constantly calling her by her name.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

JamesBCrazy posted:

They said "cousin" nine times and "Superman" once. I guess it's just that kind of show.

I watched the leaked pilot and unless they took half the references out this is way too low. I get that they don't mention Superman because they want it to be about Supergirl, but when everything she does is compared to her "cousin" the "Superlative Man" it's tiring as hell and as clunky as it gets. Please tell me they took out the "Superlative Man" line because I'm not sure I've groaned more at a line I've heard on a TV show in years.

When I watched the leak I really liked the plane rescue scene, I thought it was amazingly well done for TV, and I liked Benoist even though I felt at times she was trying too hard. Didn't like much else.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Superlative Man was still in there.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I like that she is still working for her lovely newspaper or whatever at the end instead of getting a job at secret government agency with her sister. Gotta keep that female demo I guess.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I like that she is still working for her lovely newspaper or whatever at the end instead of getting a job at secret government agency with her sister. Gotta keep that female demo I guess.

It's not really a Super(lative)mangirl story without a flimsily disguised job with the local media good sir.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Jesus, how much exposition can they cram into a single sentence in this show?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Pan Dulce posted:

I'm a woman, I get that there's different strokes for different folks. You have Agent Carter, Melinda May, Skye/Daisy Johnson/Quake, Jemma Simmons, Bobbi Morse/Mockingbird, Caitlin Snow, Iris West, Patty Spivot, Felicity Smoak, Speedy, and Laurel Lance/Sara Lance/Black Canary(s). Take any one of them and there's someone that can relate to them, picture themselves in that role. And I get that Supergirl fits that bit now. But really, the overuse of "girl power" phrases is what stuck in my craw.

"Why, because she's a girl?" "I'm a girl," "Finally someone my girl can look up to."

You don't have to point it out so many times for it to be a strong, empowering phrase. It feels like they took writers from Disney Junior's Princess Sofia or Doc McStuffins for this.

I think you kind of hit the nail on the head there. There are SO MANY fantastic female heroes on all of the various comic based media right now that this seems like a major step back. I watched the pilot months ago and wasn't blown away but I was really disappointed in how they wrote the character. You get a female character in the staring role and what do they do but go overboard with the pro-woman slant with everything.

It is the exact opposite of Agent Carter where they show in every moment of that show how she is a strong, confident and inspiring woman. They can do some social commentary on how women were looked at during that time period but again it isn't right in your face or trying to make you buy into a certain view point. I think in general the Marvel media has handled women a lot better than DC has.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
The marketing of Agent Carter drove me crazy by constantly pointing out that she was a lady.

"Sometimes the best man for the job... isn't a man at all!"

Stuff like that but probably not exactly that.

Love the hat

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Speedball posted:

Jesus, how much exposition can they cram into a single sentence in this show?
It's a pilot, it's supposed to be full of exposition and blunt lines.

The trailer for the season looked promising at least. Looks like they're gonna play up her being cocky about her powers or not holding back and stuff, interested to see where if anywhere that goes.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james

Mister Kingdom posted:

Homeland S01E02.

What about it? I missed the joke

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Sober posted:

It's a pilot, it's supposed to be full of exposition and blunt lines.

The trailer for the season looked promising at least. Looks like they're gonna play up her being cocky about her powers or not holding back and stuff, interested to see where if anywhere that goes.

Oh man, looking at that preview I can say that Red Tornado may finally be the suit that actually doesn't look better outside of the promo shots. I was hoping they'd do something to make it look less like a cheap Halloween costume, but I guess not.

I mean, this is just really unfortunate: http://i.imgur.com/QescvUO.jpg

X-O fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Oct 27, 2015

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
That was fun and I liked it a lot. :) The cast is still settling in and has some work to do to shed some of the wooden-ness, but c'mon. This is the Superman family. It's supposed to be the glowing, optimistic, somewhat awkward and dorky end of the DC universe. Diving right into WHEEEEE I'M FLYING just seems right.

Plus watching Kara blow up a truck loving owned :getin:

e: "I CAN DO A CAR CHASE! *fwump*" was probably the best moment of the show. I get the feeling the backstory cram was mandated by NBC to get people interested and the MY COUSIN thing is probably DC being lovely about embargoes again. I'm willing to give them a few episodes to get into the swing of things before I judge.

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Oct 27, 2015

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

X-O posted:

That can't be a real person in a real thing. That's a knockoff Chinese Red Tornado toy.

You can't fool me.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

X-O posted:

Oh man, looking at that preview I can say that Red Tornado may finally be the suit that actually doesn't look better outside of the promo shots. I was hoping they'd do something to make it look less like a cheap Halloween costume, but I guess not.

That's sub-Power Rangers level costume design.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

JT Smiley posted:

That's sub-Power Rangers level costume design.

I was looking for an apt comparison and I think you nailed it. That's actually what it looks like.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Just watched that preview and you weren't kidding about the costume not looking any better on screen. It's a robot... covered in cloth armor, how does that happen on a network as big as CBS?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

God, that was one clunky-rear end pilot. But I'm still on board for it, mostly because of Melissa Benoist and it's Flash/Arrow/Legends behind-the-scenes pedigree. Hopefully it doesn't take too long to pivot away from "Gotham" territory and back towards "Flash" land.

I hope they never reference Superman at all from here on, because for a while there it seemed like the writers were having some kind of contest to see who could reference Supes in the most oblique way possible.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

I really don't know how I feel about this show. On one hand, I like that supergirl is kind of dorky and I think Flockhart was alright, but the plot was pretty awful. Not just this week's episodic plot but the dumb as poo poo setup for the villain-of-the-week really grates. I've never read a supergirl comic, so I dunno if this is canon or what but presenting a kryptonian prison full of bad guys just for her to fight is some lazy poo poo.

I also don't like that everyone seems to be related to her somehow, either directly or indirectly. Of course her mother is the one who sent all these people to space prison. Of course her aunt is the leader of the space criminals. Of course Jimmy Olsen knows who she is already. Of course her sister is in the anti-space criminal agency. Ugh. It's clumsy, and it's a setup for the kind of interpersonal melodrama that will kick this into soap opera territory when that is the worst place for it to go. it has the feeling of some marketing guys getting together and cluelessly deciding that "a more female-friendly superhero show would probably CRUSH the ratings!" and in their marketing guy heads "female-friendly" means "<whatever show> + Real Housewives!" She'll go on dates and be awkward! She'll need help with clothes and shoes! Inter-office romance! You know, girl stuff! Make sure Jimmy Olson is hot!

Contrasted with daredevil, which was the last superhero show I watched, the writing needs some major help. I know it's not supposed to be the same dark street-level stuff, but they could have had a few episodes of ramp-up before throwing the super powered space criminals at us.

I'll probably watch a couple more, but I don't have a lot of hope that it'll get better. I guess it's slightly better than The Flash, but I can't loving stand The Flash so I guess that's not saying a lot. So far not as good as Arrow and nowhere near as good as Gotham. Not even in the same league as Daredevil.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Iowa Snow King posted:

Its sad because she was one of the unfortunate women who got hacked last year.

She is excessively adorable in the show, and and I really, really like James Olsen. I kind of feel this is going to be like Agents of SHIELD season 1, with two characters i like, and admittedly because one is a cute woman. There's some stuff I really liked in the episode, like the costume montage.

I admit, I get sad every time someone says Danvers, because Captain Marvel is by far my favorite superhero above all, and waiting for any official info about the film is driving me nuts. But that's not my issue and i'm not going to hold it against the show.

By far the worst thing is the while Cousin talk. It's like someone at Warner said "You're not allowed to say Superman. People might get confused between the show and our movies" and they had to write around that.

Though another plus I can see is maybe this will have Green Lantern stuff, Atrocitus could easily be in that prison.

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.
:smug:
The show is entertaining and kept my interest longer than poo poo like Blindspot. I'm happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I watched this back when it leaked and all I really remember from it is the way they kept avoiding the word "Superman", and that terrible scene where they tried to convince us that calling her "Supergirl" instead of "Superwoman" is somehow feminist and if you disagree then maybe you're the real sexist. Other than that though it seemed like it might end up being an OK show.

• Locked thread