Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I know this is totally :spergin: but one thing that annoyed me about the pilot is when the Department of Extra-Normal Operations or whatever shot Kara with kryptonite needles when she was flying, the fall should have killed her, since by all accounts kryptonite makes both her and Superman mortal.

It is also not clear to me why the bad guy would run away from a helicopter, when he is clearly at least as strong as Kara and nothing the humans could throw at him could hurt him.

Oh well. Lazy writing I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Acne Rain posted:

will this be as good as the wonder woman pilot where she had three secret identies, yelled "DON'T COMMERCIALIZE MY TITS", and had a theme about how due process is actually bad

This sounds amazing, why have I not heard about it before now?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

I know this is totally :spergin: but one thing that annoyed me about the pilot is when the Department of Extra-Normal Operations or whatever shot Kara with kryptonite needles when she was flying, the fall should have killed her, since by all accounts kryptonite makes both her and Superman mortal.

Kryptonite's effect has been different over the years.

In some being in its presence is like being poisoned, but their powers don't disappear.

Or maybe they just caught her.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

WarLocke posted:

This sounds amazing, why have I not heard about it before now?

It got cancelled almost immediately after the pilot was leaked. Just google "Wonder Woman pilot" for all you need to know.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

enraged_camel posted:

It is also not clear to me why the bad guy would run away from a helicopter, when he is clearly at least as strong as Kara and nothing the humans could throw at him could hurt him.

:eng101: They actually addressed this! It wasn't solid kryptonite, it was fancy tech laced with trace amounts. Juuuust enough to get the needle in and make the sedative take effect.

Though I imagine someone's car is now flat as a pancake and yet somehow still blared its car alarm until 5 in the morning.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

It's not lazy writing just because it does not hold up to rather intensive nitpicking.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

At least he said Superman.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
And physics and shear forces raise their ugly heads. Ouch.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Everybody just standing 10 feet from a SAM launcher firing missiles :stare:

edit: talking heads ragging on somebody who could literally murder every single one of them in a single bound; sounds par for course.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Nov 3, 2015

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Hey, I'm on TV!

EDIT: RBG likes to party.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Good RBG joke.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The constant comparisons don't seem nearly as bad as long as they can use his name.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Aphrodite posted:

The constant comparisons don't seem nearly as bad as long as they can use his name.

Yea I can deal with it if it's actually straight up 'yea your cousin Superman does this too right' instead of some dumb coy poo poo.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The dialogue in general seems a little less painfully on the nose, so that's good.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Maxwell Lord posted:

The dialogue in general seems a little less painfully on the nose, so that's good.

I've gotten some genuine laughs this time around. Like that 'well it's nice to have our own super hero' 'yea you said that about a basketball team too'. This show has some pretty solid promise and hey, neat creepy bad guy to punch today, could be the episode that turns things around for some of the folks on the fence

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Krypton flashbacks! Cool.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I approve of Kara learning how to actually fight.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm a fan of a 'realistic' super-family character who has to learn about how to handle their poo poo.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
It's cool that Cat actually has some wisdom to impart despite being kinda mean.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's cool that Cat actually has some wisdom to impart despite being kinda mean.

Yea I was worried she'd be the J Jonah Jamison of this show and she does not have the over the top bullshit in her to sell I WANT PICTURES, PICTURES OF SUPERGIRL type poo poo. Her thinking she's some ball busting check and balance system for a lady who can juggle tanks is a solid character choice.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Kitten Snake up a tree!

EDIT: And PERD!

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Was that Perd loving Hapley?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

PantsOptional posted:

Was that Perd loving Hapley?

He plays a lot of anchors (may actually have been one, I forget.)

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!
This episode feels like it has a lot of the kinks/awkwardness worked out. I like it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Maxwell Lord posted:

He's a real rear end news anchor who literally only takes jobs where he plays an anchor, either seriously or jokingly. Dude has his poo poo figured OUT.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

He worked in news for like 20 years, and now he plays newscasters in TV shows.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

OmniBeer posted:

This episode feels like it has a lot of the kinks/awkwardness worked out. I like it.

They're actually doing something with the "Superman's around but isn't going to show up all the time" thing by actually making comparisons between the two a storyline.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

OmniBeer posted:

Yea this is way better than the pilot. I'm glad because I like Supergirl a lot so making the whole 'sooo...you're Superman...with boobs...kaaaaay' thing a storyline and having her actually need to learn how to use her abilities in a way that helps people rather than in a pure 'oooh heat vision didn't know I could do that' thing is the perfect use of her I think

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I was a little worried when they referenced Superman a few times without just saying Superman but then a bunch of people started saying it!

The opening line of the episode was something like "When people see the red cape they expect to see a certain someone..."

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

That fight was legit dope.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Timett posted:

I was a little worried when they referenced Superman a few times without just saying Superman but then a bunch of people started saying it!

The opening line of the episode was something like "When people see the red cape they expect to see a certain someone..."

Yea that poo poo is the worst, especially when it's something like Superman on a Supergirl show, of course they have the rights to both so why be coy. Thankfully that was just a joke rather than the norm.

This was a really good episode! Yay for good Supergirl!

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

howe_sam posted:

That fight was legit dope.

Yeah, you can see the budget in that fight that CBS/DC put towards this show.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Now all I want is for there to be some big dramatic season finale moment where Cat just casually drops that of course she knew who Supergirl was ever since the interview, she's not an idiot.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Blade 2 crossover

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
That episode was about 400% better than the pilot. Even the thirty second previously on that summarizes the pilot in thirty seconds was much more enjoyable than the actual pilot.

I'm perfectly fine if Cat doesn't realize who Supergirl is, because why make the assumption she has a secret identity anyway?

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I still intensely dislike the Department, because they're basically not-DC X-com.

:qqsay: Everyone knows the only proper way to fight off hostile aliens is with human wave attacks and stun batons!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So I guess it's safe to say Hank had his little space accident already.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
:j: I'd ask for a hug.
:geno: I am not programmed to do that.
:j: :smith:

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Nov 3, 2015

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Also yay Hank's already the Incredible Melting Techno Man! Can't wait until it turns out his entire body has been made out of recycled toasters this entire time and no one at the DEO noticed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I liked this episode a lot more than the first one. Things haven't quite gelled yet but it's close and I can see the way they're going. The pilot was just too crowded (as pilots often are).

• Locked thread