Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I watched this back when it leaked and all I really remember from it is the way they kept avoiding the word "Superman", and that terrible scene where they tried to convince us that calling her "Supergirl" instead of "Superwoman" is somehow feminist and if you disagree then maybe you're the real sexist. Other than that though it seemed like it might end up being an OK show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

It's an antagonist saying that. You're not meant to agree with her.

Judging by the interview I just watched on The Late Show, that is not the case.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Gizmoduck_5000 posted:

What? That wouldn't make any sense at all. Metahumans are supposedly a completely new thing when Flash begins. If Supergirl takes place in the same universe, that means Superman has been publicly active for years, but no one on the CW shows thought a flying alien god in metropolis is worth mentioning? I call bull poo poo.

At the end of season one they accidentally opened up a bunch of portals to other realities. They're currently working with the Flash from Earth 2 to close them, but there's plenty of potential to have a way to travel between worlds stick around permanently or get reopened if they ever want to do the crossover.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Just caught up with the last three episodes. This show is getting much better since the first episode, I'm actually enjoying it more then The Flash now. I really like the fact that they're giving her opponents who pose a plausible threat and don't resort to her just being dumb for no reason like Flash does all the time, and the way she's handling stuff other than supervillains, which Flash doesn't do nearly enough of.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

J'ohn J'ones is the dumbest name for an alien ever.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

sbaldrick posted:

I'm sure it's too late for the Flash to show up this season given production times, especially given Supergirl's smaller run but I'd bet money both the Flash and Green Arrow show up next year.
That wouldn't fit at all with the universe of those shows. If Superman wasn't in it you could maybe handwave away no one in those shows going "holy poo poo, have you heard about this Supergirl?" or people in Supergirl at least knowing about the Flash (if not the Green Arrow), but how do you explain the characters in The Arrow or Flash not making the obvious connection between their own city's super heroes and supernatural/superscience stuff and Superman?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

BreakAtmo posted:

THAT would be awful, but the current season of The Flash is all about dimensional breaches leading to the alternate Earth-2. There's no reason why Supergirl can't be set on Earth-5 or some poo poo.

All the breaches in Flash lead to Earth 2 though.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

I think that Astra does still care for Kara and wants her to understand the truth of things, so that factored into the "get captured" plan.
Yeah, I assume it was pretty much entirely to get Kara to calm down and listen to her for a minute, because their encounters so far have gone: "Let's talk, I want to explain what I'm doing and why and I think you'll agre- oh come on, will you just stop punching me for one loving second?" Honestly, she's kind of coming across as a misunderstood anti-hero more than a villain.

Chokes McGee posted:

I think Cat's character hasn't gotten the recognition she deserves (:haw:) for warming up as a character on her own.
Yeah, I thought she was terrible in the first episode, but she's the best character in the show now. And I can't count the number of shows where I've wished someone would just figure out the protagonist's incredibly obvious secret and I'm so glad they actually went with that in this case.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I hope the back half of the season involves her learning about the hobbit with more cardigans than Kara Winn
I hope the back half of the season involves him not being in the show any more because he's irritating.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mymla posted:

I just watched the first episode of this. It was garbage. Does it get better or should I find something else to watch?

It gets a lot better.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Drifter posted:

It's safe to say that Benoist is the only good and/or interesting cum unique characterization on that show.

Kat's a stereotype that's easily understood - and it's that stereotype the writers fall back on in between seconds of neatness; Lord is the same evil, do anything at all to further his point business tycoon except he's not interesting at all except as a name drop

By the latest episode, Cat Grant is the best character in the show, and Maxwell Lord hasn't done much yet but is well placed to be an interesting character in the future. Supergirl herself is sometimes OK, sometimes a bit too cliche.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Well, this show just burned up every last bit of good will I had towards it. This episode was just awful. The only good thing was Cat knowing that Kara was Supergirl - the entire episode I was just saying "just loving tell her" - and then they hosed that up as well. I actually stopped watching when they had Cat see Kara and Supergirl together, because that was just bullshit.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

Really? I thought that was great and pretty much how I expected things to go. Why even have Martian Manhunter if you're not gonna have that kinda fun?

It's a perfectly fine answer if the question is "how can Kara prove she's not Supergirl?" But that's a terrible question.

Kara's secret identity relied on the idea that no one noticed her, which was a neat twist on the "why can't anyone see that Clark Kent is just Superman with glasses?" issue, and the fact that as soon as Cat started paying attention to Kara she saw right through it was great. Having Cat figure out her identity added an interesting dynamic, a character who was on her side and knew who she was, but wasn't part of either her government or civilian teams but she could go to for more general advice. And it would have meant that Kara would have had to rethink how she presented herself as Kara and what she could do to minimise the risk of others discovering her secret (something Cat could also have helped with). This throws all that out the window for the sake of maintaining the status quo.

And it's not just that. Astra allowing herself to be captured was interesting. She was starting to look like a sympathetic villain and was casting doubt on whether Kara's mother was actually the good person she thought she was or not. Having her working towards her own ends while in custody, while the rest of her group went about their more overt activities on the outside would have been interesting. And if Kara's mother had actually had some sinister agenda that would also have been interesting. But instead, Astra goes free while absolutely confirming that she's a bad guy and Kara's mother was a saint. Boring.

Then there's the other antagonist, Maxwell Lord. He was clearly an antagonist because he didn't like Supergirl or want her around, and he made a reasonable case as to why. But we're against him because he's against Supergirl, even though he seemed like he was actually doing what he thought was right. Basically, he looked like he might be a good guy who happened to be on the wrong side of this issue, which would bring him into conflict with the other good guys. But then he had his goons tie up James so he could rough him up for no reason. So he's obviously just a bad guy.

And finally there's J'ohn J'ones. Alex keeping his identity secret from Kara could have been used in an interesting way. Instead she just finds out with no drama or payoff other than now she has a get-out-of-jail-free card whenever anyone figures out her identity. What a waste.

Basically, a lot of stuff was set up that could have paid off in interesting ways, and then they carefully deconstructed all of that setup for absolutely nothing. Literally everything that I liked or found interesting about this show was undone in a single episode. Except for Cat, she's still pretty great. Not enough to carry the show on her own, though.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

howe_sam posted:

If the show wanted to confirm Astra was absolutely a bad person she wouldn't have called off her Kryptonian death squad at the end of the episode. So that's a funny conclusion to make.
She's a bad guy, not a cackling psychopath. I basically meant that it's essentially confirmed that Astra was wrong and did bad things and Kara's mother was right and did no bad things and there's no ambiguity left there at all. Astra will be wrong and do bad things on Earth too.

howe_sam posted:

I don't remember, do good guys generally blackmail people into planting bombs around a city?
Actually forgot about that, TBH. Fair point. That character's been dumb for a while and wasn't just ruined in the last episode.

BrianWilly posted:

And maybe it's the lack of sleep catching up to me but I don't really get why Kara keeping her secret from Cat is bad but J'onn and Alex keeping their secret from Kara would be good. *shrug*
Because Cat already figured it out. They wrote a good bit in the previous episode where Cat figured it out and explained how she figured it out, and then through this episode they demonstrated why her knowing would be a good thing by having her confront Kara about her priorities, and then they just dumped it. Kara didn't figure out that J'ohn is an alien, Alex just blurted it out like an idiot, having kept the secret for what, one episode? What was the point of even keeping it from Kara to begin with? Both cases are the same problem - they set something up and then immediately ditched it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

ded posted:

Prove to me you're not supergirl! *stabs her in the hand with a fork*
I was thinking that as well. As certain as Cat was, it wouldn't even have seemed like a risk.

• Locked thread