Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

RevolverDivider posted:

Trails dubs are really good but they're not on the same level as FF7 Remake or FF16.

I think they're better than either as far as major characters go (less flubbed lines), but worse as far as bit characters go (more corny deliveries, more obviously just the main cast doing extra voices instead of being able to hite more people for small roles)

The only egregiously bad dub I have played in the last 10-15 years is Triangle Strategy. The direction on that was pretty goddamn bad. I put nearly all of the blame on the director/casting. (And some on square's fadcination with distorted mics)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Currently, the thing that makes me dislike a dub, or even sub, most is just knowing every single voice actor by heart. Square likes to hire real celebrities for their dubs, so they have refreshing high quality new voices, so I very much agree they have one of the best dubs. I definitely give Cold Steel higher props for being able to give me the same feeling with voices I know and thought I was sick of, with dozens of more characters to boot. I played FF7R1 3 times, twice in english and once in japanese, and I consider them about equal, but I decided to play FF7R2 in English precisely because I knew It'd have those VAs I will likely never hear elsewhere in it.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015

Although next time, you would be wise to heed the ancient Japanese proverb... phone first!
What did Matt Mercer or Patrick Seitz or whoever do to deserve such scorn?

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Veryslightlymad posted:

The US performances for almost all the Cold Steel cast (it's nameless goons who have bad voices) is so good that I can't imagine playing it in another language.

Excuse you, I love Noble Alliance Officer with the infinitely rolling rs.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

this game is gonna go all the way to these levels?? what the hell

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Cyouni posted:

Excuse you, I love Noble Alliance Officer with the infinitely rolling rs.

I mean, I do too, but for the same reason I love Claude's magic trick from the original Star Ocean 2.

You know the one.

PEAR into PEACHES.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/The_Kiseki_Nut/status/1768931484918772157?s=20

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

drat I didn't even think about sharing it here lmao.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
nothing wrong with having a 3D wife and a 2D one

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

:negative: she keeps getting away with it

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

GateOfD posted:

nothing wrong with having a 3D wife and a 2D one

Apparently the 3D wife disagrees

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

fighting evil by moonlight
winning love by daylight

I'm early into FC Chapter 2 and have a small question (minor spoilers):

Kloe just joined my party. She's level 17 with some super strong spells while the rest of my party is level 15. Should I be grinding the rest of the party or is there some orbments I should go for? What's the best way to grind if I'm mostly interested in story and don't mind breaking the game a bit?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Kloe's spell list looks impressive because her orbment is extemely water-focused and is one single line (meaning all the quartz values add up, giving her access to more spells). Don't worry about it.

Psychorider
May 15, 2009
Enemies that are above your level give more experience and those below your level give a lot less until they only give 1, no matter what you do you'll always be around the right level. If someone is way below par they'll catch up in a few fights so there's nothing to worry about.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Playing Dragon Slayer on the turbografx for the first time and it's pretty fun so far. They certainly had a style back in the late 80's.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

sailormoon posted:

I'm early into FC Chapter 2 and have a small question (minor spoilers):

Kloe just joined my party. She's level 17 with some super strong spells while the rest of my party is level 15. Should I be grinding the rest of the party or is there some orbments I should go for? What's the best way to grind if I'm mostly interested in story and don't mind breaking the game a bit?

Ruan is where you will have the ability to synthesize level 2 quartz, so you'll be able to expand the art list for everyone, just remember that Kloe has a single-line orbment, meaning she'll still have an easier time accessing higher level arts since the elemental points of every piece of quartz she has gets added up, no matter in what slot you place it.

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

winning love by daylight

Thank you for the help! Are there any recommended orbments for each character? I’d enjoy experiments but I don’t have much sepith 😔

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Thoom posted:

My impression is that the usual reason game dubs are bad is not because of a lack of talented VAs, but because the recording conditions are much worse. Instead of getting a bunch of actors together to read lines off each other, each actor reads each line individually in rapid succession, often without being given any context for the scene, time for retakes, or much direction (because it has to be done quickly and for next to no money).

I try to listen to English dubs, but my resolve usually collapses after a few scenes worth of mangled name pronunciations and lines where the emphasis is on a hilariously wrong word. Outside of Final Fantasy (which usually turns in solid work), the only anime games where I've stuck with the dub are Xenoblade Chronicles 1 (but not 2 or 3) and Granblue Fantasy Relink.

This was exactly my experience with Xenoblade dubs. The dub in both 2 and 3 just has so much awkward/bad stuff in it (and the accent thing that was sorta clever in 2 doesn't make much sense in 3, but they still did it - it makes me think they did the casting without full understanding of the plot/script). 1's just feels more "solid" all around.

In general, English dubs are usually significantly worse on the "margins." The big name English VAs are high quality these days, but the performances for minor/supporting characters tend to be significantly worse than their Japanese counterparts. This hurts some games more than others. Persona tends to work well dubbed, since the vast majority of dialogue is limited to the party + s-links. You don't have to worry as much about awkward performances from random side characters.

I try not to judge too much, since I understand a lot of Japanese (so I can't fully put myself in the shoes of someone for whom the original voices are gibberish). But it's kind of painful knowing a lot of people are going to play Daybreak without Daisuke Ono as Van.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

sailormoon posted:

Thank you for the help! Are there any recommended orbments for each character? I’d enjoy experiments but I don’t have much sepith 😔

As a rough rule of thumb, just focus on adding slots and only buy Quartz later, when you have sepith to spare. When you do start buying them, it's probably going to be for things like extra Cast quartz, or the stat ones, rather than extra elemental values for unlocking more spells. Different levels of the same type of Quartz stack, so at endgame it can be useful to stack Cast 2 along with Cast 3 if you have extra slots, that sort of thing.

The big paradigm shifts in terms of which spells you can access tend to be from special Quartz you get as rewards for quests or Bracer ranks or in chests. For example, IIRC there's an early Evade 2 when you have mostly level 1 Quartz, which lets you grab Aerial, the first big wind AoE. There's some space/time/mirage mixed quartz from rewards that let you get Hell Gate. Etc etc. Most of the value in spells early on is just giving you AoE damage for dealing with dangerous groups.

Don't worry about optimizing it all too much. Due to limitations in what Quartz are available and what slots you can easily unlock, a lot of the freedom tends to be an illusion until the later parts of the game. Just glance at the page occasionally when you get a fancy new Quartz reward and see if it can push you to anything that looks interesting.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

sailormoon posted:

I believe one of the sidequests nets you a free Attack2 quartz, so that's one thing to keep in mind when investing in quartz.

Personally, I like to use Joshua as an offensive fighter. His Str and Ats-stats are higher than Estelle's, his double slash craft can help pile on the damage and the time element of his orbment gives him easy access to the damaging Hell Gate and White Gehenna arts that also come with a chance to apply the faint status on non-immune targets. So time quartz and attack quartz.

Personally, I like to make Estelle a support unit with healing spells and earth guard/wall. Yes, it may seem crazy to get a healer while Kloe is already in the party, but healing arts in the Sky Trilogy heal for fixed amounts of HP, meaning her mediocre Ats stat isn't a detriment. Kloe's Ats-stat, by comparison, is through the roof (and she has a Mind-quartz equipped on top of that), so she's a very effective magic nuke, especially since in the first game, Estelle's Morale and Kloe's Kämpfer crafts also raise and lower magic damage/resistence to amplify the effect.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Einander posted:

Different levels of the same type of Quartz stack, so at endgame it can be useful to stack Cast 2 along with Cast 3 if you have extra slots, that sort of thing.

Not in Sky they don't.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Some Numbers posted:

Not in Sky they don't.

Good correction there then, it's been like a decade now.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

https://x.com/nisamerica/status/1770133139114901525?s=46

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

my god I hate these Extra AP Boss fights where you have to kill everyone on the same turn lol

I actually liked the Turn Limit ones, but not this poo poo, specially when one of the bosses is way tankier than the other

frajaq fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 23, 2024

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

frajaq posted:

my god I hate these Extra AP Boss fights where you have to kill everyone on the same turn lol

I actually liked the Turn Limit ones, but not this poo poo, specially when one of the bosses is way tankier than the other

Yeah, that one's right up there with that Azure real-time time limit point condition in terms of obnoxiousness.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

frajaq posted:

I know what one you’re talking about and it was kind of unfair

Thankfully you can make up the lost AP here and still get the max rewards

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
i much prefer kill at same time than time limit cause i'm nowhere close to optimization to make most surprise time limit bonus when i run into them blind

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1668540/view/3873720583809749938?l=english

Reverie's been patched to fix the text errors and weird stuff

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I’m still in Act 4, so I guess my slow rear end pace is working out in my favor

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

winning love by daylight

Okay, I'm glad I kept playing through FC because it really picked up steam in Chapter 3 and I'm having a blast.

I'm now in the final chapter however and horribly underlevelled. Should I be grinding the sewers or shiny pommes?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

sailormoon posted:

I'm now in the final chapter however and horribly underlevelled. Should I be grinding the sewers or shiny pommes?

You should be able to power through most things with judicious use of Zin's crafts. Distend is really good.

I'm sad I didn't get in on the quartz advice train when it was relevant to you. For most of the game, having a status quartz (a big one, like deathblow or petrify) on Estelle goes really hard, because she can hit such a huge area with Whirlwind/Hurricane and frequently starts off battles.

Same with Olivier and his Quick Draw craft. Damage numbers don't matter if you've got a nasty enough status backing it up. Unlike a lot of JRPGs, status in Trails goes hard both in random encounters and at bosses. And if not status, then stat-down. And stat buffs are also kind of amazing.

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

winning love by daylight

Veryslightlymad posted:

You should be able to power through most things with judicious use of Zin's crafts. Distend is really good.

I'm sad I didn't get in on the quartz advice train when it was relevant to you. For most of the game, having a status quartz (a big one, like deathblow or petrify) on Estelle goes really hard, because she can hit such a huge area with Whirlwind/Hurricane and frequently starts off battles.

Same with Olivier and his Quick Draw craft. Damage numbers don't matter if you've got a nasty enough status backing it up. Unlike a lot of JRPGs, status in Trails goes hard both in random encounters and at bosses. And if not status, then stat-down. And stat buffs are also kind of amazing.

I do have a Deathblow 2 quartz but it breaks immediately :( is it generally just useful for boss fights?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

sailormoon posted:

I do have a Deathblow 2 quartz but it breaks immediately :( is it generally just useful for boss fights?

I don't think most bosses can be deathblow'd, but I never used that quartz at all. I meant more like, the basic Petrify and Deathblow 1 on either Estelle or Olivier, or hell, even Tita, can really turn a lot of random encounters and chest monster battles.

Unless it works on the loving JAEGERS in which case, you should use it on every boss fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
The only time I remember using Deathblow 2 was during the nasty Spec Ops fight on top of Carnelia Tower, using it in combination with Joshua's Flicker craft to immediately take make it a 3 on 2 fight by taking the gunner out of the fight. In FC, most of the time if you want to cheese a fight, the Chaos Brand art is all you need.