Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Tales of Woe posted:

more teasers for cold steel the 5th or whatever it ends up being called

https://gematsu.com/2019/06/falcom-shares-first-screenshots-of-the-next-trails-game-teases-ps4-ports-of-previous-titles

looks like that's ymir in the new engine, and noel?

Oh, hey, Toma went and growed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Surprised to not see this anywhere, but Gamespot Gameplay has a half-hour video of the opening of CSIII
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaP2USH1cUU

EDIT
As much as I'm looking forward to this title, the weird doughy mouths are going to bother me the entire time.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jul 4, 2019

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Elliot is easily the most one-dimensional character in the cast. Dude likes music.

For Gaius, what I think would have worked better, is having him forced for more of CS2. Or having his forced part be in at a different story beat when Rean struggling with his internal conflicts. Gaius is, I think, one of the better foils to have around because he's so solid. A calm, objective presence floating around at times when Rean's about to crack would have gone quite a ways.

Weirder than Gaius being from a normal family, Rean being a main protagonist who, sure, is adopted and has... other familial issues... largely being in a loving nuclear family with two parents who support him the way his do is almost unheard of in video game protagonists. Hell, aside from Gaius, everyone else is missing at least one parent. Everyone.

For those talking about Emma just being there or whatever, have any of you taken her on the Bike Trip?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
It's OK for letting you use the temps when you otherwise never got a chance to see what they can do, but it's annoying that it's considered the actual end of the game, and you have to go thru it to actually see the ending for the first half of Cold Steel.

And that it's after a chapter of controlling someone not even in the two games. :psyduck:

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'm about 60-70% certain that Ouroborous' main goal is reascending humans to their position before the great collapse. And i'm about 90% certain that the only people who understand that are the Grandmaster and maybe Campanella.

If there's an overarching theme to the series, as near as I can tell, it's a very simple "No man is an island", where the main thing is whether or not you can open up to other people and trust them. People that don't trust = bad, will eventually lose, people that do trust = good and are probably the protagonists, people that learn how to trust are saved/redeemed. People that lose their ability to trust eventually burn out and die. (Most of the members of the ILF) People with a warped sense of trust, e.g. in one person or institution, must evolve (Machias) or suffer (the Ironbloods---sadly, I can't see things ending well for any of them)

Both translated arcs so far have had themes against fascism, with the concept being that the person trying to coup the government doesn't have the capacity to trust the leadership of anyone else. They are corrupted by their inability to be out of control.

People that have had their trust absolutely abused are candidates for Enforcers. This is why Duvalie is not one despite her power. She trusts something. It's a warped and unhealthy trust, but it exists. This is a character that fascinates me. By the end of the Cold Steel arc, I fully expect Duvalie to either become an Enforcer or a playable character. Depending on if her trust gets destroyed, or if she decides to place it in people and not merely person.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Osborne is Regnitz's boss because he's the literal chancellor. Carl cannot do his job without dealing with Osborne. I think the amount of say Carl has outside the capital approaches nil.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'm a bit annoyed we don't see more of Towa grappling with that. Being, you know, almost murdered

Edit: On the other hand, Crow thwarted that attack and presumably fought off Vulcan, so who knows.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Aug 27, 2019

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
You might not have noticed what Gaius's Falco even did in the first game, but insight is a ridiculously good status.

You can also get a few characters up to something nutty like 80-90% evade, including characters that counter-attack from range. (By the way, Fie will now counter attack from range)

You never actually need a hit quartz, but they do help.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'm about to try the game on Nightmare, so I'll let you know if that makes a significant difference, but I know that on Normal and Hard, while annoying at points, I was generally happier having my slots open for better quartz. I cover hit with things like accessories if it really matters. Or the insight status.

But there are some really great accessories that don't add hit%, too, so YMMV which way you go about it.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Endorph posted:

On the flip side, magic is way better in CS2.

This is true and extremely refreshing. Gotta love the occasional Emma/Elliot overdrive.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
They also significantly increased certain characters' magic stats relative to what they were before, namely Laura and Millium.

You'll never use either as a mage, but you won't be penalized if you wanna give them healing arts.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
If there's one thing I wish was different about the battle system it's that once you get whichever of rush or burst, the one that costs five, you stop using the one that costs three outside of insanely niche circumstances, since it's almost inarguably worse, but then you miss out on the great "characters calling each other for help" quotes, and I am a sucker for hearing those. "Laura let's go!" "Now, Fie!" Or the immortal: "Don't get in my way" followed by "Shut up!"

Ever call for Claire with Rean in the second game? He'll use his fake posh accent and proclaim "If you would, Captain?" And it's just the best. :allears:

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Multiple enemies are close together and I am not sure I can kill them in a single turn and I want that unscathed experience and only have 3 points.

A boss is nearly dead, I have 3 points, no CP and it acts next. Between the two scenarios, I used rush a whopping four times in my last playthrough

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Sakurazuka posted:

Letting you mostly pick who you took with you (still in Act 1 of CS2) was a mistake to me because it meant you couldn't have any real interaction between anyone other than the required characters. They do a decent job sometimes with people having a unique line or two but that's it.

This is how they should have done bonding events for the first part of the game. Seeing the different characters' takes on places they probably weren't at during the CS1 field studies. It'd make them less generic than the Ymir ones, too.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Iron on someone with as much HP as possible and a Seraphic Ring quartz will work, and will work well.

I've been experimenting with Rush again, and holy hell, we're all wrong, Rush is goddamn awesome once you've got Rush2 or whatever between two characters. Massive damage, seemingly larger AoE, though I can't prove that, generally really, really great for ending random fights. Just, compared to always waiting an extra two points for Burst, it's actually kind of stupid good.

So uh, use Rush if you want damage to things during random encounters, and you'll probably finish them faster and more efficiently. Also, Rush will heal the called ally of status, much like using an Overdrive will.

Use Burst on bosses and if you want to gain a lot of CP on multiple characters.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Couple the double hp lost art with Iron. "Above max" HP is "high" HP. An attack that kills literally everyone else might leave your Iron guy up with more than max HP.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Know where I can get an Ouroboros symbol? The blossoming thing on McBurn's coat, or Duvalie's armor and skirt, Joshua's tattoo, etc. I can't find a decent image that isn't just McBurn tilted slightly to the side.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Some Numbers posted:

First result on GIS:

No, the abstract one that's actually in game.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'm not getting a tattoo, but thanks for the front on view.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I find myself pressing the right shoulder button on literally every game now trying to speed it up, and just... ....so very sad when it doesn't work.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
There's worse things in life than wanting to give back to a place you feel gave you everything. I'm not sure if I can call it a flaw of his. I also think teaching isn't a bad career choice for a guy who has the major character traits of "likes to give motivational speeches" and "likes working to allow others to succeed".

Seems like a foregone conclusion, and that's not always a bad thing

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Clarste posted:

CS2 clearly ends on a down note: everything everyone has worked for has been for nothing, and Rean can't escape being a dog of the empire. The 3rd Epilogue or whatever tries to cheer you up a bit, elevating the mood the "bittersweet" at best, but you're so supposed to feel like the rug has been pulled out from under your victory, imo.

The take I've had is that Class VII put everything into fighting the meaningless end boss for exactly this reason.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Just got the hidden watch quest in CS2, which I somehow never noticed before.

What is with Mothers of engineers? Between Alisa's and Teta's moms, both manage to be fantastically awful, for like, the opposite reason.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
So I played the CS3 demo today:

I managed to unbind "skip entire game" from left panel, but is it possible to unbind that cursed option from the left control stick?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
The Legend of Heroes 13: Trails of Cold Steel 3: The 8th Trails game, The continuing saga of Class VII

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 3

I don't think it matters what the title is. ......over the past few years of waiting--no, even before that--we've come a long way on our journey for this game, and we've formed something even stronger than a good title. It doesn't matter if a thread has the perfect icon. It doesn't matter if the title makes a clever joke about the game or the series in general. It doesn't even matter if it has an informative original post. No. What matters is the bond we share, and our drive to better ourselves day by day. I know that if we keep that bond, and if we keep testing ourselves, our new thread will come out on top. That's not just what I feel--I'm sure that each and every member of the Falcom thread feels exactly the same way.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 18, 2019

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

The Doomhammer posted:

Aww, looking it up I'm disappointed Crossbell and Cold Steel are actually designated as being Legend of Heroes VII and VIII. I always hoped that in 2234 or so when Falcom finally finished the whole Kiseki saga, they'd release the entire thing in a collection just titled "The Legend of Heroes VI"

Gonna blow our grandkids minds when Zemuria is revealed to literally be the other continent on that world.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I subscribe to a hypothesis that he never told his real name to the Grandmaster or whoever recruited him into Ouroboros, then someone with a sense of humor (Walter?!) jokingly referred to him as McBurn, and then it just sort of stuck. He's either hiding his real name or doesn't know it. I'll call that now.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
As annoyed as some people (people who hate fun) get at all the sobriquets in this setting, I'm a little discouraged that most of Old Class VII haven't yet acquired one. Sobriquets are how you know you've made it.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
That's all Tita, not Agate. Agate is literally always right.

Tita pisses me off because she's a small girl who fights with the same weapon it is established earlier in the game is a big deal when Don does. Like, when you first see Don, everyone is shocked he, a large man, is buff enough to use an orbal cannon on foot. Then Tita uses one and no one bats an eye.

Tita should not have been a playable character before she had the orbal gear. She should have been an NPC like Dorothy

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
See, I thought Lechter was the one person everyone actually dislikes, that didn't give birth to an engineer.

Also, do they even make Trails merch, let alone for nobodies like Lechter?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
So "haha" in Falcom games is like the word "Clench" in speculative fiction novels. Once you notice how staggeringly often it's used, you can never unnotice it. At any rate, this is my curse, and I'm sharing it with all of you so that you are cursed for pointing out the Falcom giggle.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
You want an out there speculation?

Andre (the weird fiddler) is the Fourth Anguis of Ouroboros. I am absolutely right about this.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Endorph posted:

They don't need to be unique if there's 3 different parties. Plus if there's 'episodes' you have to imagine there'll be stuff like Sky 3 where you spent an hour playing as the freaking Ravens.

Hopefully exactly that stuff, because the entire time I played as the Ravens, I had this huge poo poo-eating grin. For a while my desktop was using the healing ability on a frozen party member and very helpfully declaring "This ain't the time to be chillin'!" :haw:

I'll also settle for them being an optional superboss.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Well, many indications are that the next games will take place in Calvard (There's quite a few more for Arteria, too, but they're neighbors. No reason it can't be both), and they did just form an intelligence agency.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Tales of Woe posted:

the '1XXX' is interesting, seems to basically be teasing that the next arc will not be directly following the current story, whether that means it's before Sky or 100 years in the future. i'm all for it if it means we get a totally new cast.

They could also simply be investigating an event from the past. It can't be too far behind because of the Orbal Car. Those are relatively new to mass production, and that looks on par w/Erebonia cars presently.

They might also not want to state how big of a time skip it is.

Hermit character in Beginning is interesting. Body could be male or female. Only character consistently described as a hermit is Yun Ka-fai, but he's supposed to be elsewhere.

Could be Sharon. Her Enforcer number corresponds to the hermit.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Dec 18, 2019

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Huh, if it's a "Trails of Origins" thing, it seems likely one of them will be young Rean and Alisa meeting in the woods. ...Oooh, and maybe we'll also see what actually happened to Alisa's father (that is, if CS 3 doesn't cover that, and I think it might). But yeah, I think the Rean-centric focus of Cold Steel is a misstep.

I liked all those things. It was the very first door you go into be the 30-friggin-minute-long-no-gameplay cutscene which was Moon Door 1 which was an incredible drag. (And it even had a second half too!) Of course, my experience with the fishing game was tempered because I actually printed off a fishing guide for my Sky SC replay, so I knew what bait and rod combinations were viable.

And most of the odd-numbered chapter zones, which I found less interesting than the "altered real world" zones.

I'm replaying Trails in the Sky, and at the very very start Schera does a tarot card reading, and one card is "The Hermit", which I think is supposed to be a reference to Loewe, (who seems to have tried to cut himself off from all humanity). Sure he's dead, but that didn't stop him from appearing in Sky the Third.

EDIT: That's not to say that I think this means Loewe is the Hermit, which is highly unlikely.
poo poo. I would argue it is very likely. The mask aesthetic is something he has done twice already.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Captain Lavender posted:

I'm going to guess it takes place around the Orbal Revolution. Partly, because I have a pet guess - based on basically nothing - that Epstein is the Grand Master, and the orbal revolution itself was the first step of a grand plan. Sky spends a lot of time at the beginning talking about the convenience of orbal technology, and it's just always stuck with him that it's probably some kind of poisoned well.

(Spoilering even though it's just random conjecture. I've played CS3, so that might have tilted me in a way I'm not realizing.)

Sky 3rd's drama CD gives Grandmaster a voice though and They are a woman.

It's a predictable answer, but I'm pretty sure the Grandmaster is Adios, Herself. It'd certainly explain how everyone who has ever actually met her is completely and unflinchingly loyal to her forever (this would be the Anguis, not the Enforcers). It'd also explain why the Anguis are first referred to as "apostles".

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Captain Lavender posted:

I always start to feel like I have a grasp of the story in these games from playing them a few times, and then the in-between materials get me. There's that Toval comic between 3rd and Zero, that cut chapter transcript from between CS1 and 2. Just learning about this Drama CD. Anything else out there worth catching up on?

The Crossbell games, which I need to play myself. Reading a throwaway line from one of those games gave me the final piece I needed to unlock my speculation on Andre the musician. Andre's been bugging me since my first playthrough of CS2. But he's the Fourth Anguis, I'm sure of it.

Short version:
So apparently, Arianrhod mentions that the Thousand Oathbreaker (the nom de guerre we know is associated w/Anguis 4) is one of the Anguis currently overseeing the Erebonian side of the Phantasmal Blaze Plan. You never explicitly see a guy with that title anywhere in CS1 and 2, but Andre is present at the Summer Festival (when you release Valimar) and then he's present at every single major battle of Cold Steel 2. Like, suspiciously present. Except for the final one where the castle is raised.

The kicker is taking that piece of information and combining it w/CS3, where,

Arianrhod claims that the Oathbreaker left w/Mariabell Crois for Arteria. Andre, who is everywhere important in CS1 and 2, does not exist at all in CS3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Ghosts n Gopniks posted:

Gimme the build I need to (final dungeon) kill McBurn + Lancer because I don't seem to understand how to deal with one nuke every turn bringing my gang down to 200HP because I dare to heal them up afterwards lest they get killed. Or is it just RNG that keeps loving me over? Took five reloads until the fight started letting my guys go first. Do I really have to figure out some constant shielding+seraphic ring chaining solution out? Gamefaqs guide makes it sound super easy to just sledgehammer then lightning speed but I cannot even get started doing that. Time for attempt number twelve of this piece of badly designed poo poo encounter.

Emma's S-Break will block two attacks, having that in reserve for after they're low is pretty handy, since it'll completely negate the storm. Usually Altina's order is better, but there actually is a few places where you want Emma's. You should be able to use it at both the start and the end of that fight.