Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Most advice like this comes with the invisible corollary of "some people instead need to hear the opposite of this." You may find it freeing to know, hey, I can just look at this walkthrough and it'll tell me all the big things, so I can relax! But some people find having a list to consult makes it feel like a job. You have to figure out which of the two you are and act accordingly.

(I am definitely the first type. At least that way if I miss a potentially cool thing, I know what it was, and I can load one of my old saves to go back and check on it.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

CS2 in in a weird place where I agree that it's obviously padded, but I enjoy it as padding and disagree that it's bloat, because it's all just "now fight through these extra mostly unnecessary dungeons" and CS2 has pretty fun combat. CS2 is pretty generous by the standards of the series in terms of what cool tools it gives you and when, physical and magical damage are fairly well-balanced, and it did the "do well against these bosses for extra points" fights best out of the series. I enjoyed all of them! The Cryptid fights are available early and they're all pretty good too.

CS2 has people bail you out of boss fights a lot, but the story arc is about Rean and Class VII gaining the power to make a difference in this big conflict, and for me the game giving you all this power relative to the other games and plenty of fights to use it made that arc feel more real. And in turn, that made me feel more invested when the ending's twist yanked all of that out from under Class VII in general and Rean in particular.

CS2 good.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

I think it was Zero (might have been Azure?) that moves you from town and into the Geofront during a cutscene, but there's a book if you turn around, leave the dungeon, and go talk to people in town. That's the one I missed during my playthrough, because I assumed they wouldn't update the dialogue at that point. The more fool I, I suppose.

At the moment I think I'm waiting for Azure's release date to be closer before I play Zero again.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

I appreciate that they gave Ordine a super mode and then never, ever talked about it. Yeah, he can do that. No, other Divine Knights can't. It's not important.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Artix posted:

I would argue the opposite, the things that Cold Steel 2 spoils about Crossbell are largely of the "what the gently caress is going on in Crossbell" variety and focus almost entirely on the Erebonian perspective (I guess aside from the very end and the newspapers? I didn't religiously read them), whereas Azure is a mostly self-contained story until the very end when it just has Cold_Steel_2_ending.ppt for no reason whatsoever.

Although yeah it really doesn't matter either way. I guess my point is that CS2 made me want to play Zero/Azure to find out what the hell was going on over there the whole time and Azure's ending would have been really deflating if I hadn't played CS2 yet.

Agreed. I guess CS2's could work as dramatic irony? But it seems like that'd really take you out of the protagonist perspective there, and that would in turn take a lot of the sting out of the ending.

Maybe that'd also make the sheer length of the ending less exhausting, but it does feel like that exhaustion was part of the point. Rean is just worn out by the final credits roll.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

I bounced off Sky once before the first two CS games were translated and also bounced off it after playing and loving both of those, and only managed to get through to the second half after The Third was about to be released. (And I also enjoyed SC much more.) It's got a weak start. Maybe I'll appreciate it more if I ever do a replay.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

I am not qualified to say whether or not Rixia's VA is pronouncing "Buzhihuo" correctly, but the way she sounds so startled by it makes it hard to believe she's saying it right. Bujiwaaa!?

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Tesseraction posted:

My biggest takeaway from Chapter 2 thus far is that Cubelion can go gently caress itself. Bullshit move for a boss-type to pull at will that early in a game.

ImpAtom posted:

I kind of liked it honestly. I just had to make sure to keep one of the healer S-Crafts on deck and it was a neat thing to have to scramble and adapt to.

I really in general like that the bosses hit really hard and with more status effects and such. I'd probably like it more if Link poo poo wasn't broken which makes optimizing around it harder but y'know.

What was that gimmick? I was playing Cold Steel 2 style and delay-stacking it to death with Rixia and her Brave Order, so I think Cubellion attacked me like once, tops. I'm curious what I missed.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Endorph posted:

no reverie doesnt do anything like that either

its literally just a couple broken accessories and endgame consumables

The Zero+Azure and CS3+CS4 ones are literally just tier 0 Gladiator Headband and Gladiator Belt, they've got the same effect but worse stats. There's two other better tiers of the Headbands and Belts, too. The max rank reward for CS4 is pretty good, but this is the game that lets you give every member of your party +25000 HP within the first four hours if you want, so "broken" is pretty relative here. (Maybe +50000 HP? I haven't checked whether you can equip two of the same accessory.)

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

CubeTheory posted:

Would people find it interesting for me to post my Abyss boss strategies and builds as I play? I was thinking about it, but I'm not sure if anyone cares lol.

I'd be interested, at the very least.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

(Reverie, Act II, Lloyd Route, Part 2)

Any good strategies for the boss of the Ancient Battlefield, with its 40 turn limit for bonus RP? Admittedly, I didn't get into that fight with full CP/HP, but it wasn't too bad, but 500,000+ HP between two enemies is a LOT to chew through, and *** Lechter *** is a really lovely character to be forced to use in a boss fight, they have ONE attack craft.

EDIT: I forgot to remember their elemental weaknesses (other than Fire), that could maybe help a little. Their elemental weaknesses? Status Ailments to protect against?

I don't remember doing anything in particular for that one on Hard, I'm afraid. One thing that'll help is to use Rixia's Brave Order early and then Chrono Drive, so that they stack together into a four-turn SPD Up (L). Beyond that, trigger the spoiler character's Brave Order for the damage + Insight, since it's the best effect you have available, and Rixia will avoid a surprising number of attacks with her native evade boosted by Insight. You're past the point where inventories get merged, so Rean's branch has a Rage quartz available for auto crits after counterattacks (it's in a treasure chest in the Underground). Going over to that side to grab it may help you do a little extra damage with Rixia, especially since it has +10% Evade on it.

One boss has Seal + Nightmare, I think, but I also think he only starts using that Craft after he hits 50% and uses Enhance. It's Cao.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Start of chapter 4, C's path: Lapis's excited talk about the dramatic scene at the end of the chapter with the cut to C shamelessly saying "yeah I put a transmitter on her earlier" is probably the funniest joke Trails has ever done, because I marked out and believed him then, but he would loving do that, wouldn't he. Excellent use of these characters.

Edit: Also, as of Chapter 4, I'm pretty disappointed with the True Reverie Corridor. I appreciate the mechanical aspects of the joined inventory and constant access to shops and item trading, but the actual dungeon aspect of it feels so underbaked. I went into it expecting more of a Third Chapter experience where you're consistently going into the dungeon and getting to mix and match all of these characters and seeing all of these character interludes, and there's just not very much dungeon or very many interludes so far. It feels very much like an afterthought, and that's a shame.

Like, I wasn't expecting a full epilogue plot to the first three arcs AND a full game of Phantasma 2.0, but I was expecting more of a 50/50 or 60/40 compared to the 90/10 there is in Reverie.

Einander fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jul 16, 2023

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Is there something I should be doing with Swin to make them good? He's got a crappy self-buff and two crafts which only apply Marking. All I can think to do with him is give him Break 3 and Impede 3.

Swin's always pretty good? He has a lot of synergy with his Brave Order, since he wants to be attacking as many times as possible, it buffs his Attack, and the critical hits always activate follow-ups to keep it going. Use Marking, use Revelation on the strongest enemy he's Marked, use Marking, repeat, activate his Brave Order any time you're at max BP to keep strength buffs up and maxed. (And because spamming Brave Orders increases your experience modifier. Make numbers go up!) You get Gungnir at the end of Rean's chapter 2 and activating his Marks is an automatic critical, so having Gungnir or the other "increase critical hits damage" MQ on Swin all the time greatly increases his damage.

Other than that, whoever has Gungnir should also have the Rage quartz, so you may as well hand him other Evasion things so he gets some free extra damage sometimes. IIRC counters are considered normal attacks for the purposes of Marking application (but counters don't activate Marks), so any time he counters he should have a 60% chance of being able to skip Marking next time. Unfortunately C's Soul Eater flings him into enemy groups and keeps Swin from getting all of the aggro, so dodge-tanking isn't a very reliable strategy for C's team.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Yeah, thanks. I did a cautionary pass around just to make sure and saw nothing, and monsters are listed in order so I figured that was probably the case.

Reverie, Act III, Rean Route End.

what

what the hell kind of asspull is this

seriously what the gently caress

goddamn it falcom

is understanding any of this seriously locked to a randomly dropped minigame orb

(same section) You noticed how everyone's reaction was also "what the hell was all of that," right? Right up to Rean saying, "man, I wish Valimar was here" initially instead of "oh it's fine I've got this"? The poster earlier talking about the minigame orb was wrong, that one just says "they're working on new Soldats" and of course they are.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Everyone's reaction also being "WTF???" does not keep it from being an asspull. An "explanation" coming later will still not keep it from being an asspull.

(still Rean's Chapter 3) Basically the two ideas in the plot that come up repeatedly are "the present is echoing the past" and "this thing that happened shouldn't be possible," usually one in response to the other. Rufus is taking over Crossbell again, but it doesn't make sense that he would choose to do that. The people in Crossbell and Erebonia are being affected like victims of the Curse, but the Curse should be gone. Where did all of this equipment come from, how would they even get all the iron? It's the Reverie Corridor, and it's also kind of like Phantasma. This watchout tower in the Highlands is filled with archaisms again. Why is Arios evil again? McBurn shouldn't be here. How the Emperor here when we killed him? Why are the spirit veins like this, and how are the shrines back?

You can brush all of it aside as Falcom being lazy and reusing ideas and assets, and that's definitely a part of it, but it's also something the story is obviously doing deliberately. Rean treating a Soldat like a Divine Knight and having another Divine Knight appear in response and starting to look like he did during the Twilight isn't directly foreshadowed, but it is precisely the sort of thing that can happen in the story as written, because "the present is echoing the past" and "it shouldn't be possible."

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Also I really feel like Nadia and S should have a gimmick that basically demands they pair up but Nadia gets to inflict the Marks (because of her super analysis ability) and then S can exploit them, which would both be a mechanical improvement and match their stated abilities and 'perfect partner' concept better.

Make it so her standard needle throw line Craft always triggers a follow up and make it so Swin always Marks on follow-ups. Doesn't absolutely require you to pair them and both of those traits have good uses separately, but it also makes them a very good combination.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

My favorite CS track is Internal Twilight, because it captures an incredibly specific "wait, this isn't right..." feeling from its part of CS2's ending.

CS2's ending is in general still my favorite part of the series. Not a fan of the series of dramatic saves in the Infernal Castle, but the rest is fantastic. Even the way it keeps having new denouements and isn't allowed to just end works in its context.

Whereabouts of Bonds is the best Sky track. I need to replay the Crossbell games at some point, because I can't really recall any of its music.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Daydream: Justice a Deux
- While I kinda like the idea behind the pairing in this one... JFC it feels incredibly frustrating and obnoxious that Falcom can't even let minor or unnamed unrepentant career criminals just quietly sit offscreen, where the audience can have satisfaction in imagining that they're in jail. It makes their previous arrests feel futile and pointless if they're once again back on the streets happily criming away. Why should I imagine that THIS TIME these arrests stick, for reals?

They explicitly explain this one? Like, they practically turn toward the camera and talk about it. Those two got away before because of the awkward state of Crossbell as a state subject to both Erebonia and Crossbell; their power over citizens of other states was very limited. This is used in the Crossbell games as an example of the weakness of the Crossbell of the time, so it's brought up again here to show that they no longer have that problem, because they're becoming independent. Like, your takeaway here is the exact 180 degree opposite of the text.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Finished Reverie's main plot. I spent basically the entire game thinking that there was no real reason for it to exist; the plot wasn't that interesting and the gameplay was the same as ever, especially since the actual dungeon crawling in the Reverie Corridor is such a small percentage of the time you're actually there. The Daydreams were all pretty pointless and the minigames were okay, I guess. I liked some of C's stuff and his scenes toward the end of the studio were a highlight, but if I liked the series less then I'd have considered the game an outright waste of time.

The final chapter was at about that same level right up until the final boss segment. Then the ending actually stuck the landing. Things with the other Rean and Rufus during the ending sequence finally brought the other two sides into the whole "trust people to help instead of taking everything on your own shoulders" theme that kept popping up on Lloyd's side, and the story didn't get too bogged down in the mechanics of how anything worked. Them dropping the entire set of robot fight tutorials during the final boss sequence was unintentionally comical and the Knights returning to help was obviously going to happen, but it was fun anyway. Rean finally finishing his character arc and resolving to find happiness was a great moment, and Rufus's plan lead to great moments for his team, Lloyd, AND Olivert. And the credits were a "where are they now" scrapbook sequence, and I am a total sucker for a good scrapbook sequence.

All in all, still one of the weaker Trails games and the weakest Erebonia game, but I'm fairly satisfied with it now. Hell of a save, Falcom. Good job.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

I feel like the difference between Third and Reverie is that the whole Reverie Corridor seems more about having an excuse for a shared inventory and always-accessible shops. In terms of structure, Reverie's way more like a standard game than Third. And I feel like compared to Third, the Daydreams just didn't tell me anything new. Like, I liked the one with Rixia, Nadia and Swin, because that served as a pretty good intro to Nadia and Swin as more than just book cahracters. The one with Olivert and Schera was also good. The rest were pretty nothing.

I'd have all been for a Reverie: No Reverie Edition that was just the standard plot, and I'd have been all for a Reverie: All Reverie Edition that was just the Corridor and more focus on the Daydreams. The fact that the main story had its own kinds of "let's show these characters interacting now!" moments means that there just wasn't enough for the Daydreams to do.

Maybe the postgame ones will change my mind. Here's hoping.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Some Numbers posted:

Shards are whatever, I have everything upgraded and I don't think I care about getting stat boosts.

I just need a couple hundred thousand U-Mats

You can convert Shards to items you can sell and then buy the 80000 items that disassemble into 100 U-Material. Which items are worth the most money depends on how many of them you've traded because shard costs for items go up as you buy more, but once you reach the final prices I think Spirit Incenses are the best value. (150 Shards for 10000, compared to 500 for the 30000 from Dragon Incenses.) It's not like the stat up items are that useful, so you may as well.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Interesting. Doing a quick calculation, it seems like the best bet for equipment to buy and break down is a character's +1 weapon. It costs 4000 mira and can be dismantled for 5 U-material. That's in comparison to a +3 weapon (8500/10) or II armor (9600/10).

Yeah, doing that in the main game is useful for when you're close to getting an important trade upgrade. In the postgame U-Material Masses are the same value, though.

Some Numbers posted:

Hold on a sec.

Are you saying I can buy U-Material Masses?! With Mira?

Yeah, they're at the top of the consumable shop list once you reach post-game. Though it's easy to miss, since you never have any real reason to be in that shop past the first, like, 20% of the game.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

I'm past upgraded Grail Locket grind and into everyone wanting Melville Ray, since three of my party members are Mirage primary and the last is Time primary. On the plus side, potentially unlimited Lost Arts at least means Mirage slots are finally good. It only took like ten games (and a post-game)!

Jotting down some unnecessary postgame optimization notes: Altina and Emma are very good mages in post-game. Mirage/Time and Mirage/Fire means both of them can equip Melville Ray and Grail Thelas, for a total +30 Speed and Grail Thelas covering the +100% accuracy you need to not miss half your attacks/Crafts. Then one of them can equip an Astral Bell on the other Mirage slot and use Titania as their primary casting Quartz, while the other can use Pixie and put Leanan's Kiss on their second Mirage for the EP and ATS boosts. This way both of them have a chance of debuffing enemies with every spell, with the Mirage user using Galion Fort over Albion Wolf unless you need to All Cancel. Plus, besides the stat benefits, this means both of them have Grail Thelas for emergency full-party revival, as well as the strongest Lost Arts attack spell whenever there's a Zero Arts space. (Or just use Elie's Brave Order plus Chrono Burst. 90% EP cost reduction plus Acceleration is a hell of a drug.)

Of the other mages I think only Nadia and Alfin similarly have ideal set-ups, since no one else has both Fire/Time/Earth for Grail Thelas and Time/Wind/Mirage for Melville Ray. Both of them can even use the Pixie set-up with three Lost Arts, since Leanan's Kiss is Fire/Mirage/Water. Water and Space slots have worse Lost Arts and most other mages have one of the two. Altina and Emma are still better because of having Auto-Charge as a Link ability, though.

Rixia similarly benefits as an evasion tank from having Grail Thelas/Prominence Sol/Leanan's Kiss as her three Lost Arts slots, giving her +30 Speed and +30% Evasion along with the requisite +100% Accuracy. (Use Dragon's Claw to keep enemies in counter range, and make sure to have her move up next to enemies that can't be moved with it, since otherwise she'll whiff the second hit. That at least means they won't be knocked away either, so once she's there she can keep countering.)

I discovered all of this by accident because my Reverie Corridor team was Rean/Rixia/Altina/Emma and I picked Altina and Emma entirely for Auto-Charge. Better lucky than good. :v:

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

The funny thing with Musse apparently just naturally being a super-genius is that she's also associated with Vita and she's grouped together with the proper Witches in Reverie (and maybe CS4? I forget) when they're teleporting or doing big magical barriers or the like. Just having her be a Witch all along would change basically nothing.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Got to the end of the True Reverie Corridor and was informed it was a three-party boss and arggggggggh noooooo. I'm fully confident I can crush whatever the fight is when I have four party members at level 250 and I can turn off the "+100 enemy levels" modifier, it's just that after a whole game of the Quartz Set-Up Shuffle I'm very ready to not do that again any time soon.

I'm glad I pushed through to at least the Thors Open House Daydream, that one was the best one in the game by a lot. I'm glad to see they gave Ash a fitting conclusion to his plot arc.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

...well, okay, apparently I was doing the Reverie Corridor final boss with the +100 levels effect still on. Could have sworn I turned that off before saving last time. Still managed to knock it down to 10% HP on its final form on Hard mode even with three cobbled-together teams hastily raised to level 200 with items, and with only one of my trained members on the last, hardest form. And then it turns out that it has the Azure final boss gimmick of "when it's low on HP, it kills you instantly," including your entire back-up team. The boss being based off of that final boss makes it something you can predict, but also, rear end in a top hat move to put on a multi-form boss that you're not fighting with your "real" party.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Finished the postgame final boss. The final Daydreams are all NVL visual novel style but that doesn't stop them from doing the "win a boss fight, immediately lose when someone Gets Serious" thing. Twice, even. Never change, Falcom.

All in all I think Reverie is probably still the worst Trails game, but I appreciate how willing the game is to let you break it and story-wise I at least liked the ending. They had ideas and some of them were cool, but they just didn't have nearly enough of ideas for another 60+ hour RPG with these same characters. Hopefully Kuro is good whenever we get it, but it'll at least be an upgrade from this one.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

MythosDragon posted:

Act 2, Lloyd was blocked off first, Rean was blocked off next, did first reverie, finished Lloyd, Started C, progressed till C and Rean engage in conflict.... realized I was never given an option to equip them, reset, realized I could not enter Reverie and the rest of my post. I managed to finagle as much of a team together as I could after stripping Lloyd's team of accessories and quartz using the < menu. Really lucky that I didnt strip them of their master quartz cuz I like keeping everyones canon ones on them....

You can press the button that brings up the "pick characters for your party" menu, press the button that switches over to your reverie team, and equip weapons, armor, accessories, Master Quartz and Quartz from there. (On a controller, it's press left d-pad, press left or right trigger, and then I think Y, using the bumpers to switch between the Equip and Quartz screens.) Even when you can't access the Reverie Corridor or a team itself, that party menu is always available.

Congrats on getting out of it anyway, I guess? :v:

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Junpei posted:

Wait do you legitimately think that Shirley is going to get a redemption arc?

She kind of already did? She's treated way more sympathetically in Cold Steel once she gets her pet dog prince friend. "Look, she cares about something other than violence now!"

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

No, that doesn't actually work properly in that instance, I ran into the same issue. If you're on C's route before the inventories merge and do that you can only equip the other two parties with items from C's inventory and not from their own inventory (which definitely feels like a bug...). And since C's route is pretty limited in what you have available at that point, this is actually pretty rough to recover from.

Loaded up a save to check and yeah, you're right about that. I suppose I didn't run into it because I did Lloyd before Rean in chapter 2. Huh, that's pretty bad!

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

MythosDragon posted:

Specifically mentioned doing that, it only goes from your current inventory. So Team C at that point? has nothing. And if you actually use their stuff it goes permanently to the Reverie Squads till they get access to the Share Ring and vice versa. In theory, I could have looted all the master quartz and left them with nothing.

Yeah I checked and realized that after someone else clarified. The embarrassing thing is that before the initial post I actually loaded up a file at that point, checked that you had the option and that the buttons worked, and went, "huh, I should get really specific with this, they must be missing a menu option," because I didn't do the one extra button press to check the inventory contents in those menus. :v: I was so close!

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

I don't even get the guilt those characters are experiencing, personally. Like, with Osborne's final plan, the whole point of the war was to kill the evil god so Erebonia wouldn't keep going to war on account of it constantly pushing the country toward that. They didn't go to war for funsies, it had a purpose and the purpose was achieved and Erebonia will be better for it. So will everyone else Erebonia went to war with before, on account of the fact Erebonia will be going to war with them less in the future.

Like, I'm not praising it as Hard Men Making Hard Decisions or anything, it's just something that had to happen sooner or later. They got the bum hand and had to deal with it in their time rather than continuing to push off that reckoning into the indefinite future. That isn't some indelible sin that will never wash away! Being guilty about Millium and Altina is one thing, but that's not even usually what they're focused on.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Isn't Becky from Celdic, in the region Jusis's family rules over? Because Inexplicably Scottish Jusis and Rufus would be even more amazing.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Super Jay Mann posted:

(Still Reverie) It absolutely is specified, it was one of the first things Lapis mentioned when explaining what Elysium is. It's an AI singularity that runs on and operates via a combination the Orbal Net infrastructure and the underground Septium veins. The latter of which is, you know, the literal source of all magic in this universe. If you buy one of this series' central conceits, that being that humans figured out how to harness magic to create 'modern' technology, then the nature and abilities of the Elysium singularity are in no way asspully. That's just you not paying attention to the drat text of the work you're playing.

(Reverie) The weirdest thing about Elysium to me is that they could have made it so much simpler: just make Elysium a consciousness embodying the spirit veins and explain the technological aspects as it finding a way to use the orbal network to communicate, rather than being an emergent consciousness within the orbal net itself. It comes out to the same thing, it just makes it way more explicit where all of Elysium's power is coming from and the increased timeline of "somehow a consciousness emerged sometime between now and the creation of the planet" is more immediately accepted than "somehow a consciousness emerged sometime within the last three to five years."

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Zero's basically the one weak point of Arts in the series up to Reverie, because it has buffed Crafts but it doesn't have Bells or Master Quartz. Azure introduces both. The thing about Arts versus physicals from Azure onward is that between Cast quartz, Bells, and after-spell delay reduction MQ, Arts have so, so many more ways to improve your action economy. So they're going to be somewhat underwhelming early on, especially as Crafts get stronger throughout the series, but then you reach the endgame and suddenly you can cast two to three spells for every physical attack or Craft. It's really hard for physicals to overcome that disadvantage.

The funny thing is that Arts are at their strongest in CS3 and CS4 (thanks to infinite looping with Chrono Burst, which was removed in Reverie), but it's also the best about still giving physicals a reason to exist at endgame, because you need BP for Brave Orders and Arts can't provide that. Then we got to Reverie and they threw that weakness out the window with United Fronts. Oops.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

MythosDragon posted:

Its a small dungeon with like 10 scripted fights if I remember correctly.

I would think that when people hear "Agate door" they think of the Orbal Gear Project doors and not the dungeon with the former gang members.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

If you want to get all* the DP rewards in endgame Azure, then you should kit one person out for evasion tanking so they can play distraction. The damage they do is basically irrelevant, they're just there to tie up the boss while the others move to the opposite corner and kill the boss with Arts.

(*Except the real-time time-limit boss fight. Evasion's only going to help so much there. Or just don't bother with that one, it's not worth it.)

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

I feel like it's hard to grade CS1 or CS3 in isolation, because so much of them is set-up and what's the set-up without the conclusion? Saying "CS1+CS2" or "CS3+CS4" makes more sense to me, and I'm on the CS1+CS2 side there. Reverie does help prop up some of CS4's weaker aspects, but while CS2's conclusion is good enough for me to forgive the weaker elements of that game, Reverie's conclusion isn't quite strong enough to even out two games' worth of complaints.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Yinlock posted:

Alfin has that too. All "guest"-type characters have something nutty like that really.

Except Victor who's kinda just Worse Laura now, that's power creep for you sucks to suck buddy.

(he's not actually bad at all it's just funny).

Victor is there to give you Woden, which is notably busted in a game with some pretty busted Master Quartz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

No one really wants those accessories, though, not for anything but the speed. If you just have one really CP hungry character (like Rean) then they can get Woden because it's the one good damage MQ with CP Regen, and that's enough, especially with mages lapping others in the turn order. And if you don't need the Regen it's just a good generalist accessory.