Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
So... is Erebonia Germany or Russia?

And Crossbell is... Australia?

Liberl... England?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I just want Wazy and Noel to get in.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
*Holds up sign that says "Alisa is good, I romanced her"*

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Endorph posted:

we can always count on you junpei

...I can't tell if this is a sarcastic backhanded complement or genuine praise.

In other news, the lyrics to (what I'm guessing is the OP) the song in the demo movie seem pretty dark, what with lyrics like "Despair is a sweet drug" and "Give into the madness". I'm placing a hesitant guess in that this means CS 3 will have a darker tone.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Endorph posted:

to be fair the cs2 lyrics were pretty dark too

Fair point, but even then, it had lines like (paraphrasing slightly) "No matter how soundly I’m defeated or if I fall to my knees,
Until the moment I fulfill my promise, I’ll just keep on fighting".

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
By the way, I remember reading about something in the Japanese versions of the games.

Apparently, in those versions, certain words have a switch on the dual character reading that Japanese usually has: Kanji on top, katakana on bottom, rather than the other way around. Can anyone clarify if this is true? I think the example given was the incantations for Vita's spells, but I think archaisms's names are also subject to it.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I have Rean use Force + True Gladiator Belt + TG Headband so he can absolutely SPAM SI'd TS:D's . Overdrive optional.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
So, minimal Slash/Strike/Pierce theory for Ys 9

Slash: Adol, Doll
Strike: White Cat, Raging Bull
Pierce: Hawk/Renegade

I could be wrong, but that's what my gut is telling me.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
19 days until Monstrum Nox drops in Japanese!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
So, uh, unrelated to all this Cold Steel discourse, I'm playing through Ys Origin, and I just finished Hugo's route (Yunica's is done), and am about to start Toal's, and I'd just like a confirmation on something

So, that demon seed in Hugo giving the whole Fact family from then on is the reason why Dark Fact in Ys 1 is evil and demonic and Keith Fact in Ys 2 looks so demonic?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
...why did they make Lloyd's S-Craft in the Divertissement Rising Sun and not Meteor Breaker?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Goddamn that trailer music for Hajimari is great, can't wait to hear the full version.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
CS4 has some bonkers stuff that happens and it's great. Can't wait for the localization.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
If trying to ship Joshua and Estelle is Liberl's national pastime, and getting into Rean's pants is Erebonia's, what's Crossbell's national pastime?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
You know what I'm really excited for? Ever since Ys 9 started using motion capture, and with us seeing some Hajimari cutscenes, I'm so glad that cutscenes are getting 100% less stilted now.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

dmboogie posted:

imo the only good thing about sc chapter 8 is the sidequest at the royal academy, that was fun

I love Trails in the Die Hard

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Trails... is a superhero story

The stakes keep getting higher and higher but the writers won't let anyone get killed off because they know people like almost everyone

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
so I heard that Renegade in Ys 9 will let me satisfy my Hugo itch

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Of note in that Hajimari OP: It's not fully just 3D animation. Falcom finally started using motion capture, which means their animation is going to take a massive leap now that they can have actual people acting out scenes and using facial expressions and stuff.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
E: Wrong thread, please ignore

Junpei fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Aug 4, 2020

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
October 27th feels so close, yet so far.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://youtu.be/ddEgNU4lzR4

New Ys 9 English trailer.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I've heard it echoed in other Ys-based places, so I'd figure I ask it here:

Do you consider the Valestein Castle music to be the best piece of music in all of the Ys series?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
English character trailer for Ys 9, including voices

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttQBSxkt4bQ

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Out of curiosity, how well do you think Falcom handles the casts of the party-based Ys games (that is, Seven, Celceta and Lacrimosa) in terms of making sure everyone has screentime and plot relevance and intra-character dynamics?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
that is a fair point. Adol and Dogi aside, the only times I can remember characters returning off the top of my head is

A. the cast of Ys 1 showing up near the end of Ys 2
B. Geis showing up in Seven

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Ytlaya posted:

edit: "Tio Tot" is a dumb localization of Tiosuke

Wait, that's what it was in the Japanese version? Huh. Would have pegged it as "Tio-chan".

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Only 23 days until Cold Steel 4 drops!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Ytlaya posted:

You know what bugs me? It bugs me that regular non-magical Panzer Soldats can apparently heal themselves somehow using the power of Bonds.

They just alternate Spirit and Charge

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Why are people mad about a series with a lot of characters and events having a lot of callbacks and references to those characters and events

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I mean we know the broad outline of the plan is to get all 7 of the Sept-Terrions.

For me, at least, the logical assumption is that they all have some extra function when combined together, and they plan to use all of the Sept-Terrions to (rule the continent/save the world from their equivalent of Satan/stop an alien invasion/kill Aidos and replace her)

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
So people want the removal of fantasy elements in the Trails series, a fantasy series?

Makes no sense, but ehh. Whatever.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
See this is why I always went with Alisa as the romance option because she is the 'canon'-ish one

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Alisa is unimportant? Uhhhh, her mom? Sharon? Her dad?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
people the reason why they nerfed Orders at least early on was becau-

BREAK THROUGH! SLEDGE HAMMER!

BREAK THROUGH! SLEDGE HAMMER

...was because the above was the strategy that got spammed in CS3.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
if something's overpowered, it's probably going to get nerfed.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Motto posted:

Bracers are cops, the soldiers of the literal empire are, well,

???????????/

The Cold Steel games go out of their way to say that the wars (both the civil one in 2 and the one being prepared for in 4) are bad? Like, Rean and co are trying to stop it from becoming too bad in 2 by saving people and trying to cool things down, and the goal in 4 is to stop it from happening?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I mean there's a moment where Aurelia and Rutger just go "poo poo, man. That's going too drat far." at Osborne, so

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Idkbutlike2 posted:

The thing is, for a single ten second clip, you can make it as fancy as you want because there's hardly anything to render. Like, here's a screenshot from a game from 2008 that looks about on par with that.

Also, Falcom are known for heavy use of bullshots in stuff like game previews, which makes me even more skeptical of how good the engine will look in an actual game.

Well, motion capture is going to help cutscenes look more natural, at least. Ys 9's already looks a lot better than 8's in terms of blocking a scene and character animation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Reasons why Rean is likable:

1. Funny, witty
2. Strong, but non-threatening, not aggressive
3. Polite and kind
4. Treats people with respect, but not afraid to call people out on their poo poo