Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot
A cool thing this show had going that can easily be borrowed by other programs is its "Everything is true" approach to literature and fables. I think the creator even said he would have loved to incorporate Lord of the Rings if he could get the rights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
Im glad this about gargoyles and media piracy now. :3:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I made my original gargoyles thread when Disney put it all up for streaming for free. I am glad S2 PII is out now though, holy poo poo I made one of my closest friends in college bonding over the release of S1

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Wasn't there an episode about nanobots taking over things like Grey Goo?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

No. 6 posted:

"Walkabout"

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Nathilus posted:

Thnx for da setup.

And wuv, twue wuv, will fowwow you fowevah.

nice mullet

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
Remember when they used helicopters to build an ancient castle on top of a skyscraper.

:allears:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

it's a hip techy ponytail

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

psyopmonkey posted:

Remember when they used helicopters to build an ancient castle on top of a skyscraper.

:allears:

omg they didn't built it they transported it piecewise

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Pick posted:

it's a hip techy ponytail

nah that poo poo's a mullet.

he porbably loves nascar and tries to bang his stepdughter

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

No. 6 posted:

Yes and it was defeated by a mystic aborigine transporting everyone to the land of dreams to communicate with the AI's subconscious and the nanomachines bonded with the armor of a fictional superhero who turned into a real supervillain and then decided he wanted to be a real superhero after fighting the nanomachines and subduing it by wanting to teach it about justice and fighting crime and that's why it bonded to his armor so that they could fight crime together and so the AI could learn more about humanity.

Gargoyles was loving awesome.

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot

Jamesman posted:

Yes and it was defeated by a mystic aborigine transporting everyone to the land of dreams to communicate with the AI's subconscious and the nanomachines bonded with the armor of a fictional superhero who turned into a real supervillain and then decided he wanted to be a real superhero after fighting the nanomachines and subduing it by wanting to teach it about justice and fighting crime and that's why it bonded to his armor so that they could fight crime together and so the AI could learn more about humanity.

Gargoyles was loving awesome.

It's funny because Greg Weisman ended up using several episodes of the epic second season as stealth pilot episodes for other series that never got picked up. I think that was one of them.

Others are:

The king Arthur episode.
The episode about the New Olympians.

Possible there are several more.

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot
Here are the proposed spin-offs:

http://gargoyles.wikia.com/wiki/Proposed_Spin-offs

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

What was that one controversial episode where the fat gargoyle shoots the lady cop

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

starry skies above posted:

It's funny because Greg Weisman ended up using several episodes of the epic second season as stealth pilot episodes for other series that never got picked up. I think that was one of them.

Yeah it got used for a comic though.

I really wanted to like the comics, but getting a super-short issue every 5 months was such an rear end-ache that I couldn't bother with it.

The Rage posted:

What was that one controversial episode where the fat gargoyle shoots the lady cop

Deadly Force. It wasn't controversial, it just got censored or cut completely years later on Disney's other cartoon channels because Disney people are dumb.

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot

The Rage posted:

It's called "Dead Force."

As I recall the show might've gotten into some issues with Standards and Practices with its depiction of gun action as this was after all a show directed at young boys -- so maybe this episode was like some sort of atonement.

I do know that they introduced a plot involving gangs pushing new types of weapons (laser weapons) which got adopted by a lot of the bad guys and which incidentally just happened to allow the producers to bypass the depiction of real guns.

edit: per above post, maybe my last paragraph is true because the "Deadly Force" episode itself was controversial at the time for Disney.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
When I was a kid I had a bunch of Gargoyle's t-shirts and school folders and poo poo, but I never watched the show. I don't know why I was so into it without ever watching it, but it is a mystery of youth. Maybe because Disney Adventures hyped it up.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Gargoyles was so super cool. Except for the whole stupid boat arc and that dumb lady daughter gargoyle, but I can forgive them I GUESS.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Pick posted:

I made my original gargoyles thread when Disney put it all up for streaming for free. I am glad S2 PII is out now though, holy poo poo I made one of my closest friends in college bonding over the release of S1

This here is the hallmark of a future unmarried by 30 cat lady. Disney.

1,200 years ago a sword was lost.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/22/europe/viking-sword-norway/

And probably some guy was made fun of (or killed) for losing his weapon. It has returned!

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

It's called "Dead Force."

As I recall the show might've gotten into some issues with Standards and Practices with its depiction of gun action as this was after all a show directed at young boys -- so maybe this episode was like some sort of atonement.

I do know that they introduced a plot involving gangs pushing new types of weapons (laser weapons) which got adopted by a lot of the bad guys and which incidentally just happened to allow the producers to bypass the depiction of real guns.

edit: per above post, maybe my last paragraph is true because the "Deadly Force" episode itself was controversial at the time for Disney.

Nah, it was that the gargoyles were, in a lot of ways, like children themselves. So having an episode were a gargoyle was fascinated by guns and accidentally hurt someone with one made sense. It wasn't asked for by Disney or as atonement for anything. It was just done because it made sense for the story and for the audience. But later one, Disney was like "Ehhhh gun violence and blood ehhhh we shouldn't air this" so it was censored/cut on Toon Disney which totally missed the point of why the episode existed.

As for the new guns, there was gonna be a sub-plot that ran throughout the series where Broadway was going to track down and destroy all the guns that got away and distributed across the city, but that didn't pan out. I think because it was gonna be too much to worry about.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Jamesman posted:

Yeah it got used for a comic though.

I really wanted to like the comics, but getting a super-short issue every 5 months was such an rear end-ache that I couldn't bother with it.

I thought the comics sucked, frankly.

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot
Another thing this series was really good at was its insistence on continuity, not in the sense of "Game of Thrones" or "Breaking Bad" arc storytelling but simply in the sense of revisiting characters and ideas previously raised. For instance, you remember the pilot episode and the struggle between the evil viking who murders many (stone) Gargoyles and the traitor in the castle who helped him sneak in but ended up changing his mind? These two characters end up appearing in the penultimate episode of the second season and are given some closure after all that time. Not sure of any other cartoon series in the US aimed at youngsters that did that sort of thing.

I recall also listening to one of the commentaries on the DVD and Greg Weisman saying that the show was inspired by Hillstreet Blues and Gummy Bears. :stare:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

A cool thing this show had going that can easily be borrowed by other programs is its "Everything is true" approach to literature and fables.

This is literally the premise to Fables and by extension Grimm and Once, as well as the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot

Pick posted:

I thought the comics sucked, frankly.

Greg Weissman ended up getting steady work after "Gargoyles" but he never again simultaneously received as much artistic freedom and money. I think when Disney made the show they had allotted a fair amount of money for their youngsters programs and were specifically seeking some program to compete with "Power Rangers." Gargoyles just happened to benefit from that generosity (and it must've helped that this was the era of the Disney animation renaissance.)

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot

mind the walrus posted:

This is literally the premise to Fables and by extension Grimm and Once, as well as the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

I've read League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. I don't believe its premise was "everything is true" but rather that it brought together a specific set of stories by British writers that were written in the late 19th century or early 20th century and were set in London in those eras. It was a neat idea. I remember the main sources being Robert Louis Stevenson and H.G Wells.. Did the comic book end up incorporating Sherlock Holmes as well? I don't recall, though it would have been fitting. The lesson here is that you can milk no longer copyrighted works for all their worth.

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008
My grandpa loved this show, it was the only thing on TV he set his VCR to record.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I could never get into this poo poo when I was a kid, it was always in the middle of some story when i would tune in

Gasbraai
Oct 25, 2010

Lictor my Dictor
I liked the lawn gnomes spoof of gargoyles in Freakazoid! (:rip:)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Fonzarelli posted:

I could never get into this poo poo when I was a kid, it was always in the middle of some story when i would tune in

well yeah, it had huge arcs

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Fonzarelli posted:

Oh, so you are the reason most shows had no plot or character development when I was a kid. gently caress you. Manage ur attention deficit disorder, rear end in a top hat.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Jamesman posted:

Nah, it was that the gargoyles were, in a lot of ways, like children themselves. So having an episode were a gargoyle was fascinated by guns and accidentally hurt someone with one made sense. It wasn't asked for by Disney or as atonement for anything. It was just done because it made sense for the story and for the audience. But later one, Disney was like "Ehhhh gun violence and blood ehhhh we shouldn't air this" so it was censored/cut on Toon Disney which totally missed the point of why the episode existed.

As for the new guns, there was gonna be a sub-plot that ran throughout the series where Broadway was going to track down and destroy all the guns that got away and distributed across the city, but that didn't pan out. I think because it was gonna be too much to worry about.

As I recall it was strictly the 2 second shot of copy lady lying in a pool of blood they had trouble with, and just cut that out. Beyond that, it's a pretty good "Don't play with guns" story with consequences and was left alone. I remember being impressed that "seething hatred of guns" remained a character trait for Brooklyn for the rest of the show, even if it didn't come up all the time.

The season 2 boat ride around the world went on for way, way too long.

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot

counterfeitsaint posted:

The season 2 boat ride around the world went on for way, way too long.

Come on, it was a good storytelling gimmick and allowed them to get into all sorts of crazy adventures.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

World still ruled by superstition, and guns now

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Goodpancakes posted:

World still ruled by superstition, and guns now

No, no, it's not superstition if we believe it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Shadow posted:

is this poo poo on any of the streaming services because I remember it being pretty loving deep for a kids show.

Disney had all of it up streaming but shut it down without warning.

• Locked thread