Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
e: gently caress wrong thread

That cop can't even hip toss right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

kids are, er, supposed to be in school, so maybe trying to keep them out is actually bad. just imo.

Right, but if they won't do what a teacher or a cop says (even though the latter is dangerous), what to do in recourse? If they had suspended her, I imagine we'd be lamenting how schools leave some kids behind.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Alos, are we allowed to say "A black" again?

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

phasmid posted:

Right, but if they won't do what a teacher or a cop says (even though the latter is dangerous), what to do in recourse? If they had suspended her, I imagine we'd be lamenting how schools leave some kids behind.

Obviously the only option is to flip over the kid's chair/desk while the kid is still in it.

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax

kids are, er, supposed to be in school, so maybe trying to keep them out is actually bad. just imo.

As much as it is important to do good in school, school still sucks dude. It's like a job but you don't get paid.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

InterFaced posted:

Obviously the only option is to flip over the kid's chair/desk while the kid is still in it.

That was scary as hell and the guy was totally out of order. That said, it didn't surprise me a bit.

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax

Booblord Zagats posted:

e: gently caress wrong thread

That cop can't even hip toss right

I would have used a joint immobilization like a hammer lock or a wrist lock and calmly walked the suspect out of the class room without a bunch of theatrics.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
In all fairness, police, being adult-sized cowardly babies, really can't expect to take on an unarmed teenage girl without leveling the playing field a bit. Sometimes that means pulling a weapon and telling your superior that, being a craven weakling, you were terrified for your wretched life and unable to defend your feeble body. In this case, he chose a pre-emptive strike, because sudden and disproportionate violence was the only way that a gutless simpleton could hope to resolve the situation without being brutalized or outwitted by an average teenybopper.

Please be more understanding, OP

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Police are in schools now so they can hopefully get a high school education which they so desperately need

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Well, maybe the administrator wanted to suspend her but she refused to get up from her chair to be suspended.

You can pretty clearly see from the video that she is just sitting there quietly, probably scared of the police officer, which in itself is a gigantic problem. Just leave her alone at that point. Deal with it later, she can't sit in that chair forever.

why would her rights need to be read? she wasn't being interrogated.

Uh, he handcuffed her? There is a process that has to be followed otherwise it's a violation of your civil rights.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

InterFaced posted:

How many boner pills do you think that pig eats on any given day?

I hope he eats a lead bullet on this given day

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

phasmid posted:

who gives a gently caress I promise there are no kids in america struggling to get an education whose primary obstacle is an obnoxious classmate

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
Lets imagine for a second that there wasn't a pig in that school. What if the teacher did the same thing? There's still an authority figure present in the teacher. My point is gently caress the police hard and forever.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

I said come in! posted:

Uh, he handcuffed her? There is a process that has to be followed otherwise it's a violation of your civil rights.

yes and he violated that process because, from what we can see in the video and from the sheriff's statement no crime was occurring and therefore there was no justification for the arrest, but the reading of one's rights has nothing to do with that. she wasn't being interrogated so why are you concerned that she didn't receive a miranda warning?

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
This technique is called yama arashi or the mountain storm and I hope you brought your rain coat because you are about to go down like the precipitation that is its name sake.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
This is nowhere near a "bodyslam". Get your wrestling moves straight ffs.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

a bay posted:

I would have used a joint immobilization like a hammer lock or a wrist lock and calmly walked the suspect out of the class room without a bunch of theatrics.

I wouldn't have done anything because as boring as being a cop was sometimes I don't think there was a single day of my time in law enforcement where the best use of my time would have been physically assaulting a child in a classroom, that's my opinion

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
I bet he got some boob

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy
lol pwnt

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax

I wouldn't have done anything because as boring as being a cop was sometimes I don't think there was a single day of my time in law enforcement where the best use of my time would have been physically assaulting a child in a classroom, that's my opinion

I would have gotten really pissed off because she was being such a bitch but I would have played it cool.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I feel misled there was no body slam just some tossing and a man handling. Besides the desk falling back, largely due to her own resistance, she probably didn't even get hurt.

Hooded Reptile posted:

"When I saw what was about to happen my immediate first thing to think is let me get this on camera. This is going to be something that not only I'm going to be like 'wow did this really happened at my class,' but just something that everybody else needs to see. This is something that we can't let this just pass by."

Don't talk on your phone in school kids, that's a paddlin'
wow did this really happened at my class

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm pretty sure there's nothing a high school student sitting at a desk could do short of pulling out a gun/weapon (which obv didn't happen) that would justify what that cop did.

"Mouthing off" isn't cause enough to assault a teenager.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Moridin920 posted:

I'm pretty sure there's nothing a high school student sitting at a desk could do short of pulling out a gun/weapon (which obv didn't happen) that would justify what that cop did.

"Mouthing off" isn't cause enough to assault a teenager.

it actually would have been justified if he had a good reason to arrest her. according to the sheriff, though, the deputy was arresting her for "disrupting school" or something like that so it doesn't sound like he did.

to be clear what I'm saying is that what he did would have been perfectly appropriate, and in fact a much much better way to handle the situation than grabbing a taser or pepper spray, if the person he was dealing with was an actual suspect of an actual crime. but from what I can see and from what the sheriff has said, she wasn't.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

yes and he violated that process because, from what we can see in the video and from the sheriff's statement no crime was occurring and therefore there was no justification for the arrest, but the reading of one's rights has nothing to do with that. she wasn't being interrogated so why are you concerned that she didn't receive a miranda warning?

An officer is required to read you your miranda rights if you are being arrested. She was being handcuffed, therefore being arrested. An officer can't just handcuff you for shits and giggles.

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

I said come in! posted:

No, there isn't. Being detained and being arrested are two different things.

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

I said come in! posted:

An officer is required to read you your miranda rights if you are being arrested. She was being handcuffed, therefore being arrested. An officer can't just handcuff you for shits and giggles.

wrong

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down
Should have gotten the jaws of life to remove her from that chair lol

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
Black chick gets a police beatdown for using cellphone in class, recorded on white kid's cellphone. In class.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
man, I sure hope this thread doesn't get gassed!

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Should have powerbombed her through the desk

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Maybe if she built a clock instead things would be different

By that I mean they would have shot her lol

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

it actually would have been justified if he had a good reason to arrest her. according to the sheriff, though, the deputy was arresting her for "disrupting school" or something like that so it doesn't sound like he did.

to be clear what I'm saying is that what he did would have been perfectly appropriate, and in fact a much much better way to handle the situation than grabbing a taser or pepper spray, if the person he was dealing with was an actual suspect of an actual crime. but from what I can see and from what the sheriff has said, she wasn't.

Nah dude come on. Like yeah I'm sure it's 'legal' to do what he did in the process of arresting her but why do police have to get so violent so fast? Even if she was under arrest you're telling me an officer needs to do that to subdue a teenage girl sitting at a desk? Better than a taser or pepper spray? Well yeah but why is any force required to get the cuffs on necessary to begin with assuming the person isn't struggling or trying to fight you?

Like, if I was told I was under arrest (and I have been) I'd say 'aw poo poo' and peacefully let the cuffs go on and whatnot. If I was not even given the chance and just slammed into the ground immediately I'd be pissed off. Girl was sitting at a school desk, no way she was being threatening or anything like that.

e: tbf you should do what police tell you to do, not following lawful orders is just retarded idk why people keep doing it. that said, again: teenage girl.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 27, 2015

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Cops went to the Supreme Court to earn the right to not have to protect or serve.

Now all they do is beat up women and children and shoot men.

I think it's safe to say that cops are massive cowards and are completely unnecessary.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Hooded Reptile posted:

In the wake of the video that surfaced from a South Carolina classroom of a school resource officer forcibly pulling a student out of her chair, the Richland County Sheriff is seeking a federal investigation of the incident.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/10/27/sc-deputy-classroom-video/74668562/

Around 10:30 a.m., the girl who had the confrontation with the officer was working on her computer, and had her phone out, Robinson said. He said the teacher asked her for her phone, but she said no. An administrator was then called to the room, and Robinson said the administrator pleaded with the girl to get out of her seat, but she didn't.

"She really hadn't done anything wrong," Robinson said. "She said that she had took her phone out, but it was only for a quick second."

While she didn't comply, Robinson said the girl was apologetic.

Then Fields, was called to the class. Robinson said when Fields came in, he asked Robinson's friend to move a desk. According to the student, Fields then shut the girl's computer, and moved it to another desk.

Robinson felt something was wrong, and pulled out his phone and began recording.

"When I saw what was about to happen my immediate first thing to think is let me get this on camera. This is going to be something that not only I'm going to be like 'wow did this really happened at my class,' but just something that everybody else needs to see. This is something that we can't let this just pass by."

Robinson said the officer then began speaking with the student.

"He asked her again, 'will you move, will you move.' She said 'no I have not done anything wrong.' Then he said I'm going to treat you fairly. And she said 'I don't even know who you are.' ... And that is where it started right there."

Moments later, things turned physical.

Don't talk on your phone in school kids, that's a paddlin'

lol NARCed for using her phone real quick in class

next it'll be someone getting tazed for not using a #2 pencil on their test

blumpkinhead
Nov 10, 2014

aint got no time for bird sex

I said come in! posted:

Yeah, that sounds incredibly illegal, her rights weren't read to her for starters. Even if she was instructed to come with the cop, why was that needed to begin with? She is just a teenager, suspend kids that are being dipshits. There are a hundred different things you can do to a kid in high school that don't involve using violence.

aw yeeeea

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Maybe he was just angry cause he just lost his gun.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

I said come in! posted:

An officer is required to read you your miranda rights if you are being arrested.

I wasn't aware that was the case in South Carolina. It isn't the case under Federal law, or they would have taught that at FLETC, and it wasn't the case in California, the only American state in which I ever arrested anyone. This must be some peculiarity to SC, although I strongly suspect that it actually isn't true anywhere in the country.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Like it just goes from 'move' to slam into the ground immediately. There's no moment where he goes 'fine then I'm cuffing you,' or anything like that to give the girl a chance to comply, he just loses it and immediately starts with the use of force. The proper response to 'I don't even know who you are' is 'I'm a police officer and I'm giving you a lawful order. Move please.' not violence.

I think you only need to be mirandized before you are interrogated but any incriminating statement given to police before being informed of Miranda rights is inadmissible in court. It's not actually illegal to not Mirandize someone you are arresting.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

a bay posted:

Mozambique Drill that poo poo, son

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Moridin920 posted:

Nah dude come on. Like yeah I'm sure it's 'legal' to do what he did in the process of arresting her but why do police have to get so violent so fast? Even if she was under arrest you're telling me an officer needs to do that to subdue a teenage girl sitting at a desk? Better than a taser or pepper spray? Well yeah but why is any force required to get the cuffs on necessary to begin with assuming the person isn't struggling or trying to fight you?

Like, if I was told I was under arrest (and I have been) I'd say 'aw poo poo' and peacefully let the cuffs go on and whatnot. If I was not even given the chance and just slammed into the ground immediately I'd be pissed off. Girl was sitting at a school desk, no way she was being threatening or anything like that.

e: tbf you should do what police tell you to do, not following lawful orders is just retarded idk why people keep doing it. that said, again: teenage girl.

I'm not reading all of that this wasn't a lawful arrest so I think we're mostly on the same page but from a professional point of view while it was more force than I would have used because I'm personally lazy and don't have a huge hardon for yanking people around she apparently wasn't injured nor does it look like what he did was particularly likely to result in injury so idgaf about the use of force in and of itself so much as I do that the use of force was unlawful.

• Locked thread