Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Moridin920 posted:

if only there was a middle ground between 'doing nothing' and 'slamming student into the ground and dragging her'

I already told you, there's a much better option and it's called the Mozambique Drill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Niya Kenny, 18, told WLTX she was shocked and disturbed when she saw Officer Ben Fields flipping her female classmate out of her desk and pinning her to the ground for refusing to leave class.

“I was screaming ‘What the f, what the f is this really happening?’ I was praying out loud for the girl,” Kenny told WLTX. “I just couldn’t believe this was happening I was just crying and he said, since you have so much to say you are coming too. I just put my hands behind my back.”

I feel like a few years ago I was just joking when I posted 'police state' but now I unironically think we might be somewhat of a police state, especially with all the other posters from around the world going 'you guys have cops in your schools just as a regular thing?'

I mean they just literally act like a gang at this point. Recording an officer and reacting normally to violence shouldn't be grounds for arrest. What is the person who recorded the video even being held for? Obstruction?

What's the fundamental difference between police and organized crime at this point? It's not like the cops have helped me out the 2-3 times I've actually needed them to in my life instead of telling me to gently caress off essentially.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Moridin920 posted:

I feel like a few years ago I was just joking when I posted 'police state' but now I unironically think we might be somewhat of a police state, especially with all the other posters from around the world going 'you guys have cops in your schools just as a regular thing?'

the cops in denmark shot a dude last year, and it was a national tragedy, and nobody wished ill on the victim.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
There's even a few states that are trying to make it illegal in of itself to record police officers doing their jobs.

What the hell is that?

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Moridin920 posted:

I mean they just literally act like a gang at this point. Recording an officer and reacting normally to violence shouldn't be grounds for arrest. What is the person who recorded the video even being held for? Obstruction?

What's the fundamental difference between police and organized crime at this point? It's not like the cops have helped me out the 2-3 times I've actually needed them to in my life instead of telling me to gently caress off essentially.

lol

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Moridin920 posted:

They aren't called the biggest gang for nothing, dude. And yes, we have a police state. It's a police state variation on a theme that's older than the code of Hammurabi. Everyone wants to change it, no one knows how, and anyone who claims to have one cure-all for it is either laughing or pushing an agenda with a lot of fine print.

lol

Moridin920 posted:

There's even a few states that are trying to make it illegal in of itself to record police officers doing their jobs.

What the hell is that?
I believe it's already illegal in many places. And if not, it's still unwise to be seen. Remember that pic of a bicycle cop pointing his cannon at the camera?

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Moridin920 posted:

move to canada about it queermo

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Moridin920 posted:

What the hell is that?

Where is that? To my knowledge the only way any states have managed to create penalties for filming police is by attaching them to existing laws preventing surreptitious filming in public areas, which is a perfectly normal thing to prohibit.

I mean I'm not saying you're wrong there's 50 states in America and even people there can't keep up with all of them so I'm just wondering if you can tell me specifically one to look into.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Justin Tyme posted:

move to canada about it queermo

Haha yeah I'll just runaway to an American client state instead of voting differently. Anyone who isn't an authoritarian cock sucker JUST LEAVE!

phasmid posted:

And if not, it's still unwise to be seen. Remember that pic of a bicycle cop pointing his cannon at the camera?

No, link?

I dunno that there's NO WAY to change it. Seems like another reverse American Exceptionalism argument to me where somehow every other western country manages to have police not shooting people in the streets daily or assaulting innocent civilians for mouthing off but because *reasons* it wouldn't work here.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

A typical officer’s response was, “It’s a complicated situation, I realize a situation might arise in which innocent people get killed, but you cannot take that risk or put your comrades at risk, you must shoot without hesitation.” The instructions are to shoot right away. Whoever you spot – be they armed or unarmed, no matter what. The instructions are very clear. Any person you run into, that you see with your eyes – shoot to kill.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

"better I kill ten innocent people than possibly put myself at risk from anything that scares me even a little", said the uniformed authority figure sworn to serve and protect the public

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
to be fair that's an IDF soldier not a US police officer - just thought I'd break up the anti-america hate with some other stuff

although still to be fair I bet a lot of police officers think like that.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I loving HATE cops.... ugh, this just gets my blood boiling.... all cops should FRY.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Moridin920 posted:

No, link?

I dunno that there's NO WAY to change it. Seems like another reverse American Exceptionalism argument to me where somehow every other western country manages to have police not shooting people in the streets daily or assaulting innocent civilians for mouthing off but because *reasons* it wouldn't work here.

Having trouble finding a link for ya, but it was NYPD. It was around 2012 the first time I saw it, I think some time shortly after OWS. Disregard that, I guess.

And no, America is certainly different. We're far more advanced than the previous giant police states, so we can do things that no other nation ever dreamed. However, we also have a tech-literate society that tries to keep itself ahead of the police. Doesn't always succeed but then, what does?

It's the opposite of exceptionalism. I'm saying we have a very old problem for which the solution still eludes us. Like, is anyone gonna say "we don't need cops at all"?

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Moridin920 posted:

to be fair that's an IDF soldier not a US police officer - just thought I'd break up the anti-america hate with some other stuff

although still to be fair I bet a lot of police officers think like that.

lol that I was ready to believe that a line from a literal genociding stormtrooper was something an american law enforcement officer said

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

police officers are perpetually drunk humans because as you drink utilitarian ideas make more sense

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Nonsense posted:

police officers are perpetually drunk humans because as you drink utilitarian ideas make more sense

...huh

I'm not sure which part of this is more confusing, the suggestion that american police officers are in any way inclined to utilitarianism or the suggestion that sober thought is necessarily averse to it

Vitalis Jackson
May 14, 2009

Sun and water are healthy for you -- but not for your hair!
Fun Shoe

Holyshoot posted:

So how was the cop supposed to properly handle getting her out of the chair if she was being a ghetto piece of poo poo ignoring him and not listening? "Uhh excuse me please get out of your chair".

And if this was so disturbing why were kids 2 feet Away calm as poo poo while this was going down? Seems like this poo poo happens a lot in that school probably. Ban cell phone video from class rooms.

Actually, and this is just my opinion, mind you, I don't know that the young woman needed to be forced into compliance at all. I believe this may be a hazardous mindset for a population when compliance becomes such a major issue. As I see it, what would have been the harm if the officer had simply continued to have a conversation? In my belief system, what I saw on the video cannot be defended in any way. In the long term, this sort of violence from government police will create many more problems than it solves.

Love,
Vitalis

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
There goes her career as a successful doct-hahahaha, no harm done

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Moridin920 posted:

if only there was a middle ground between 'doing nothing' and 'slamming student into the ground and dragging her'

You misunderstand police tactics - slamming a student into the ground and dragging her is the middle ground between doing nothing and shooting her.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Cops are so stupid they don't think a room of teens would have their phones ready to record.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

gently caress the police

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
I wonder how many times he told her to shut up before he (deservedly) kicked her rear end?

bog pixie
Feb 23, 2013

https://ed.sc.gov/newsroom/news-releases/spearman-calls-for-investigation/

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

drat, son

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
She said she didn't know who he was even though he was wearing a police uniform, maybe she has brain damage and it's the school's fault for not having her in a special needs class. A special needs teacher would have been allowed to physically get her out of the desk himself, because they always have to wrestle with their 'tards

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
lmao http://www.rawstory.com/2015/10/cnn-analyst-blames-black-teen-for-being-assaulted-by-south-carolina-cop-she-had-no-respect/

quote:

A former New York City detective told CNN that the black girl tossed to the floor and assaulted by a cop at a South Carolina high school had it coming because “she had no respect.”

this is the guy who said that

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

BigBoss posted:

I wonder how many times he told her to shut up before he (deservedly) kicked her rear end?

i wonder how badly your mother neglected you as an infant

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Moridin920 posted:

I feel like a few years ago I was just joking when I posted 'police state' but now I unironically think we might be somewhat of a police state

of course we live in a police state.

cops behave with impunity

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-interactive/2015/jun/01/the-counted-police-killings-us-database

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

TEAYCHES posted:

i wonder how badly your mother neglected you as an infant

You're always really hyper vigilant about issues outside your own life so I'd say realistically this would apply to you

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
I mean if I was as overweight as you I'd definitely be more concerned about my own problem than what cop beat up what minority who wouldn't listen

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Jumpin' jesus. Pics and everything.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Stoic Commie posted:

You're always really hyper vigilant about issues outside your own life so I'd say realistically this would apply to you

its cool to care

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

TEAYCHES posted:

its cool to care

Then why are you fat...

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

please dont assault high school kids who are sitting down in a chair

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Stoic Commie posted:

Then why are you fat...

im not fat ive even posted my picture before, i am very handsome

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
Oh, you just really care about candy and milkshakes, I understand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

BigBoss posted:

not enough to give him the legal authority to touch her (because no amount of times would do this, you see)

• Locked thread